• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New nights screens - Worse than saturn?

Mdk7

nights08.jpg

Approved by
n64yay.jpg

Mdk7

Lobster said:
Thats why its got a main game that looks like this.

nights-journey-of-dreams-20070820054652668.jpg
I would not define that something mindblowing, expecially looking at polycount, effects and textures.
It's a Wii, not a PS2.

Blackface

Banned
First off some people are in denial. Like it or not the screenshots posted of the game by the OP are from the wii and are from Nights. They are also a disgrace, PSP looks better.

Also, Do me a favour and stop posting small resolution screens like thats how the game is going to look. If you take most games and shrink the resolution (especially like those gifs) it will look good.

Mdk7 said:
I would not define that something mindblowing, expecially looking at polycount, effects and textures.
It's a Wii, not a PS2.
He doesn't say the game looks mindblowing, he's just pointing out the main game doesn't look like that shitty minigame.

Trax416 said:
First off some people are in denial. Like it or not the screenshots posted of the game by the OP are from the wii and are from Nights. They are also a disgrace, PSP looks better.

Also, Do me a favour and stop posting small resolution screens like thats how the game is going to look. If you take most games and shrink the resolution (especially like those gifs) it will look good.
Well, I vote for a ban on all game gifs then, since they're all that small, whether it be Drake's fortune, Mario Galaxy or this.

Lobster

Banned
Mdk7 said:
It's a Wii, not a PS2.

Wow serious?

Trax416 said:

Ok then, here watch a video.http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25394.html

Mdk7

Souldriver said:
He doesn't say the game looks mindblowing, he's just pointing out the main game doesn't look like that shitty minigame.
he's implying it does.
The only GOOD thing i've seen from JoD is actually the TGS stage (and maybe the boss ones): that is how the game should look.
Everything else is just going from MEH to WRONG (not forgetting the controls just not taking any advantage of the Wiimote unique features...), with this last bunch of screens being fugly for Dreamcast first generation standards.

And we're talking about NiGHTS here, not Ghost Squad.

Mdk7 said:
he's implying it does.
The only GOOD thing i've seen from JoD is actually the TGS stage (and maybe the boss ones): that is how the game should look.
Everything else is just going from MEH to WRONG (not forgetting the controls just not taking any advantage of the Wiimote unique features...), with this last bunch of screens being fugly for Dreamcast first generation standards.

WTF man, you need glasses or stop talking out of your ass.

Mdk7

Lobster said:
Heres another video for the haters.
Funny how if you don't immediately drool, you're then a hater.
Blame Sega if the game's not living up to the original standards.
or WiiFit

Lobster

Banned
Mdk7 said:
he's implying it does.

Wtf? The game looks incredible on Wii. Seriously its up there with fucking Mario Galaxy in terms of art. SEGA has been incredible with Wii, every game they have released on Wii has been great in terms of graphics. Monkey Ball looks awesome, Sonic Wildfire is still one of the best looking Wii games.

Mdk7 said:
Funny how if you don't immediately drool, you're then a hater.
Blame Sega if the game's not living up to the original standards.
or WiiFit

You haven't even played the game! Every impression from the press has said that fans will love the sequel!

Mdk7

Souldriver said:
WTF man, you need glasses or stop talking out of your ass.
So you think that is something acceptable for an hardware that is bringing you Mario Galaxy, Metroid Corruption, Zack & Wiki and Endless Ocean?

Mdk7

Lobster said:
Sonic Wildfire is still one of the best looking Wii games.
We agree on this one! ;)

And no, previews were generally good but certainly NOT enthusiastic mainly due to some changes in the game mechanics (like the fact they removed the Ideya captures...) and the controls not taking advantage of the wiimote.

Lobster i don't wanna sound like a hater btw, i'd love to get a proper sequel to my favorite game EVER. ;)

Lobster

Banned
Mdk7 said:
So you think that is something acceptable for an hardware that is bringing you Mario Galaxy, Metroid Corruption, Zack & Wiki and Endless Ocean?

:lol Are you serious? This game is up there with those games! The pics I posted are not shrunk and you could atleast watch the videos.

Mdk7

Lobster said:
:lol Are you serious? This game is up there with those games! The pics I posted are not shrunk and you could atleast watch the videos.
i watched them the day they came out. The TGS stage and the boss ones do look GOOD (as i said before) eveything else seems like a different game.

Ogni-XR21

One of Sega's problems is that they show of some of their work way to early in development. Why show stuff when you know you're still gonna work on it?

Lobster

Banned
DKnight said:
:lol :lol :lol

Argh ok here we go.

Mdk7 the early stage does look bad...(the one with the fish and colloseum thing) but everything else looks great.

Im just really angry that this game is being judged on one feature that most people here wont even use. Especially the comments like "looks worse then PSP"

Man im glad that Wii is getting MH3 and Samba De Amigo..I just can't wait till the first pics.

Ydahs

*Agrees with Lobster*

Seriously, this is one of the Wii's better looking games. Did the people complaining even look at the posted vids?

Typing from the Wii sucks

Lobster

Banned
Ogni-XR21 said:
One of Sega's problems is that they show of some of their work way to early in development. Why show stuff when you know you're still gonna work on it?

To show people what they should look forward to. New media should just not be shown to GAF..All we do is complain, laugh and have fanboy wars. Nobody ever sees whats supposed to be seen. They only see what they want to see that will help them bring down the game.

Mdk7

Lobster said:
Argh ok here we go.

Mdk7 the early stage does look bad...(the one with the fish and colloseum thing) but everything else looks great..
The TGS stage looks WAY BETTER than the sunset pic you linked before, especially in terms of textures and effects.
And it's pretty akward that those early stages were left meh looking, don't you think?

Im just really angry that this game is being judged on one feature that most people here wont even use. Especially the comments like "looks worse then PSP".
Dude people here are laughing at those ridiculous screens, and Sega's the only one to blame for that.
The fact that's not the main game mode does not matter that much when screens are that assy.
I mean we're on legendary Frame City Killer "accomplished" level here! :D

Man im glad that Wii is getting MH3 and Samba De Amigo..I just can't wait till the first pics.
In Samba we trust, agreed.

Scrubking

Lobster said:
To show people what they should look forward to. New media should just not be shown to GAF..All we do is complain, laugh and have fanboy wars. Nobody ever sees whats supposed to be seen. They only see what they want to see that will help them bring down the game.

QFT

Chao said:
Looks like a virtual pet mode, like the Chao thing in Sonic Adventure.

I came in here to say that, too. I was ready to condemn Sonic Team for throwing away their Chao "simulation" a few years ago, but it looks to have returned in NiGHTS here. The trees in some of the pics are a dead giveaway (at least, to those that have spent a lot of time in the SA2 Chao Gardens, like me). The A-Life area will probably end up looking quite "busy" after filling out for a while, or the "meh" graphics of that mode may be for a reason that'll become more apparent when people play it. It's just too inconsistent with the main game's graphics to gloss over. Stay tuned, I guess.

The screens in the OP look like a Chao garden of sorts rather than a super early alpha build or whatever excuses people come up with. It would explain why Nights is nowehere to be seen, as the slow-moving kids on the ground can probably better handle individual nightopians.

epmode

Why on earth is Lobster so defensive over a few screenshots?

The finished game will speak for itself. Use a little self-restraint.

Endless

1UP Preview

For the Wii sequel, NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, Sega's developers have quite a bit more planned, with everything from virtual pets to character transformations to river rafting to multiplayer to the ability to read Wii's weather channel. Sega recently provided us an exclusive look at these features and how the game fills itself out when you're not flying through levels.

201244830520071105152529.jpg

The Secret Garden

Perhaps the most ambitious new feature for Journey of Dreams is "My Dream," which is a "garden" for each player to store, raise and breed A-LIFE creatures (which you may remember as the gnome-looking creatures from the Saturn game). If you remember the Chao Garden feature from Sonic Adventure, you'll find a lot of similarities here.

When you start a game, your garden will be nothing more than a hunk of grass. As you collect A-LIFE in the game's action levels, creatures will move into your garden and make themselves at home, bringing along furniture such as fountains, hot-air balloons and slides -- and raising/lowering the ground around them depending on their statistics.

The area will also change based on what creature types you capture -- collect all Nightopians, and your dream space will be a happy one; collect all Nightmarens, not so much -- as well as the date on your Wii system clock (look for Christmas trees and Santa Claus costumes in December), and even your real life local weather if you have the Wii Weather Channel configured.

In some ways, "My Dream" probably sounds like a glorified museum, but fortunately there's more to it than that. For one thing, those of you with a Wii connected online will be able to visit other players' gardens and invite them to yours -- at which point you can give gifts and communicate with an "Icon Chat" system that uses images rather than words to allow international players to play together (and which will likely confuse a lot of people in the process).

38108796320071105152640.jpg

The key aspect to all this that looks to add longevity is that you'll be able to breed A-LIFE creatures in your garden. For those who grew up on the original NiGHTS, this should sound somewhat familiar, but a few twists like the ability to take things at your own pace in the "My Dream" area rather than just watching these things occur in the background of game levels open things up a bit.

If you go about your business and ignore the creatures, the Nightopians will from time to time get together and create offspring, and the children will take after the parents based on their statistics in categories such as Strength, Intelligence, Flight Ability, Sensory Perception, Sociability, Curiosity, Quickness, and Dexterity.

But for those who like to play around, you can mess with the A-LIFE genetics and push a Nightopian into a Nightmaren, creating an offspring that the game calls a Mepian. Between the statistics for each creature and the differences that will inevitably come as Mepians grow up and create offspring of their own, there will be a lot of potential for ways to customize your little world.

NiGHTS versus Reala

If you're looking for something a bit more competitive and action-oriented, Journey of Dreams will also include two multiplayer modes, one of which will allow players to compete online.

Race Mode -- also known as "the online one" -- pits two players against each other to see who can finish a level first. You fly through yellow rings to build up "dash power" to boost forward (or the occasional more potent green rings for extra power), and try to avoid spike rings along the way. One player controls NiGHTS while the other takes the reins of longtime enemy Reala.

Both characters also make their way into Battle Mode -- "the offline one" -- which is essentially a game of hot potato. This mode centers on "the Mareballoon," a giant ball that explodes when its internal clock runs out of time. NiGHTS and Reala can grab it and throw it at each other, and bounce it off objects, in an attempt to explode it in their opponent's face three times before the same happens to them.

44989828420071105152853.jpg

Flight Mix-Up

While My Dream and multiplayer draw on the characters and environments from the single-player game, the solo campaign will also feature new gameplay types between flight levels. We've seen a level where Helen (one of two characters you pick from when you start the game) takes to the land and has to collect 200 balls as a platforming challenge, and a river rafting sequence where Will (the other) has to steer his way to the end of a stage.

Helen's platforming reminds us a lot of the third-person wandering you could do in the original NiGHTS if you chose to explore on foot, in that it doesn't have the most polished character movement you've ever seen but it provides a nice way to view the environment from an alternate perspective.

River rafting, on the other hand, is tricky to compare to anything we saw in the original NiGHTS, looking more like a scene from the arcade game Rapid River. In action, the movement seems a bit slow for our tastes, but the concept seems to fit in well as it's another chance to check out a level from a different perspective, and with a few tweaks it could be a lot of fun.

103134960420071105152916.jpg

D-X

Nice garden features in theory, they do look like ass though and I'm a NiGHTS fan. Look Sega - you took 11 years to make this game, another few months really wont hurt. Plus you know what happened the last time you rushed a game for Xmas - Sonic 2006.

Fucking take it back for a few months. This game wont sell if it's crap. If you make a good game and it still doesn't sell then at least you kept the fans happy.

ethelred

Lobster, I sure hope you've actually played and worshipped the original game to be getting that defensive, and that you aren't just doing it because people are attacking your precious little wii.

Krowley

The main game is starting to look kinda nice, but that garden thingie is actually almost as bad as an early PS1 game. It has to be a placeholder of some kind. If they ship with that, I'll be amazed.

JDSN

Banned
ethelred said:
Lobster, I sure hope you've actually played and worshipped the original game to be getting that defensive, and that you aren't just doing it because people are attacking your precious little wii.

I doubt the Bug Island guy is doing this just to defend the Wii, really.

ethelred said:
Lobster's a good man. Segata has to sleep sometime, and some of the more cunning villains on GAF watch, wait for these moments to strike hard at the heart of SEGA. In my stead, my sidekick Lobster has performed admirably and will be handsomely rewarded when the revolution comes.

Mdk7

Endless said:
Now the features DO seem more than interesting, but the way they're actually done is just horrid.
I really can't understand how one can defend something like this, c'mon NiGHTS deserves something AAA and not a shitty-for-2002-standards status.

Mdk7 said:
Now the features DO seem more than interesting, but the way they're actually done is just horrid.
I really can't understand how one can defend something like this, c'mon NiGHTS deserves something AAA and not a shitty-for-2002-standards status.
It's Sonic Team USA. There isn't enough awesome in the building to make multiple decent modes. Just be glad they're concentrating what little awesome they have on the main game and not the "My Dream" portion.

Top Bottom