• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New nights screens - Worse than saturn?

Krowley

Looking at how much the visuals of the main game have improved, I'm now convinced that the japanese sonic team is still extremly talented. The blame for the recent quality of the sonic series has to be placed on the money guys.

This game has come a long way, and obviously all they needed was more time. I'm sure the same thing is true of this secondary mode. They might/might not get enough time to make it look good, but I bet they would if they if they had a nintendo style budget and dev cycle.

ethelred

Oldschoolgamer said:
:lol

If only the snowman was turned around, so that we could see his angry face.

Odysseus is making a cameo appearance.

thefro

They really need to delay the game 4-5 months and smooth everything out. Heck, they need to release it in 2008 just so Galaxy doesn't destroy it anyway. It's coming out too late in December for any kids to be aware of it and want it for Christmas anyway.

I have faith the main game will be great but they seem to cutting it way too close with everything else.

While My Dream and multiplayer draw on the characters and environments from the single-player game, the solo campaign will also feature new gameplay types between flight levels. We've seen a level where Helen (one of two characters you pick from when you start the game) takes to the land and has to collect 200 balls as a platforming challenge, and a river rafting sequence where Will (the other) has to steer his way to the end of a stage.

Helen's platforming reminds us a lot of the third-person wandering you could do in the original NiGHTS if you chose to explore on foot, in that it doesn't have the most polished character movement you've ever seen but it provides a nice way to view the environment from an alternate perspective.

err

koam

The Wii Weather channel is NOT 8 hours too late. The temperature and everything you see IS up to date. It just periodically updates itself like 4 times a day to make sure the temperatures are right and to get futures forecasts.

Davidion

Something's wrong with those cold featureless skies. :lol

That having been said, I'm still interested in seeing how this game plays. Never touched the original so i'm looking forward to the experience.

I don't know if it was just a rumour back in the days but we knew of this feature for quite some time now.

Yeah, we've known about this since shortly after the game's announcement. It's been on official Sega websites for months.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
koam said:
The Wii Weather channel is NOT 8 hours too late...It just periodically updates itself like 4 times a day

so at most it's 6 hours late

sounds really useful

Blackface

Banned
Mdk7 said:
That stage (and the boss ones) does look good, i've said it before.
Just look at today screens too, also the multiplayer ones...

It looks like a decent PS2 game. I honestly think people are delusional or have lowered their standards.

v0yce

koam said:
The Wii Weather channel is NOT 8 hours too late. The temperature and everything you see IS up to date. It just periodically updates itself like 4 times a day to make sure the temperatures are right and to get futures forecasts.

????

How is it "up to date" if it periodically updates?

v0yce said:
????

How is it "up to date" if it periodically updates?
I'm still trying to figure out this too.

It's at best six hours behind at all times. In some parts of the world it updates maybe twice a day.

You can still be a fan of a console and find faults in it. Just as you can love a game that didn't meet your expectations.

NeoGAFers are strange peeps.

Ogni-XR21

Lobster said:
To show people what they should look forward to. New media should just not be shown to GAF..All we do is complain, laugh and have fanboy wars. Nobody ever sees whats supposed to be seen. They only see what they want to see that will help them bring down the game.

That's not the point. People that might be interested in the game or just heard of it the first time will base their opinion on the first screens they see. Have you ever seen a lousy movie trailer but still watched the actual movie (except Snakes On A Plane)? You never get a second chance to make a first impression, this is also true for video games. Just think of the horrible US-Yakuza trailer they first released, I really think it hurt sales (even though that was just horrible dubbing and bad editing).

Sega does not work good under pressure (any more), just look at Sonic06... and by showing stuff too early they put pressure on themself for no apparent reason, just so they can keep the set date.

x3sphere

These screens aren't that bad if you resize them down to a proper resolution. Anyway I don't think its a main part of the game anyway. The TGS screens Sega released awhile back looked much better.

Chao said:
Looks like a virtual pet mode, like the Chao thing in Sonic Adventure.

That's exactly what it is. The actual *game* part looks just fine, in fact its one of the better looking games on Wii.

This may not be the place to say this but it sure is one of the causes:

I am |this| close to giving up on this Nintendo console. Just about every game on the release list that I think I want turns out total crap IMO. Once I beat the glory that is MARIO I think I'm done. I just don't want to play games with last gen visuals. The controls do nothing for me. Even the Nintendo games are letting me down.

krypt0nian said:

I am |this| close to giving up on this Nintendo console. Just about every game on the release list that I think I want turns out total crap IMO. Once I beat the glory that is MARIO I think I'm done. I just don't want to play games with last gen visuals. The controls do nothing for me. Even the Nintendo games are letting me down.
Holy shit. Why don't you wait until you play the game before you chalk it up as total crap, krypt0nian? Man, you are better than this shit.

test_account

XP-39C²
This has probly been mentioned earlier in the thread, but my guess is that these screenshots are just from a test version to test out how the weather channel function works in the game.

test_account said:
This has probly been mentioned earlier in the thread, but my guess is that these screenshots are just from a test version to test out how the weather channel function works in the game.
No, they're from a side bonus game, like the Chao Garden in Sonic Adventure. The terrain changes and becomes populated with different things as time goes on. I don't know why it looks as bad as it does, but it probably comes down to time.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The quality of the visuals are all over the place in this game, was it the same in the original?

Innotech

Banned
jj984jj said:
The quality of the visuals are all over the place in this game, was it the same in the original?
no it was pretty consistently terrible in the original. the art direction made up for it though.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Why are people bringing up the Chao Garden? Sonic Adventure sucked, get over it.

The original NiGHTS didn't need a crappy mini game level so all this means is that Sonic Team USA fucked another series up by ripping off Sonic's chao crap, throwing it into an ugly NiGHTS sequel and shitting all over it.

BSTF said:
Why are people bringing up the Chao Garden? Sonic Adventure sucked, get over it.

The original NiGHTS didn't need a crappy mini game level so all this means is that Sonic Team USA fucked another series up by ripping off Sonic's chao crap, throwing it into an ugly NiGHTS sequel and shitting all over it.
The A-Life was in the original NiGHTS.

Looks like you just shat yourself.

Aeris130

I don't get it. Why would they (supposedly) delay the game then pull this garden-stuff/crap as well? Unless the single player is finished, there has to be some tradeoff when it comes to resources...

Segata Sanshiro said:
Holy shit. Why don't you wait until you play the game before you chalk it up as total crap, krypt0nian? Man, you are better than this shit.

Because it looks like shit and I'm done with that.

This is bigger than this one game. I can't support this substandard tech anymore.

Valcrist

I'm not gonna comment on the screens because apparently screens don't really mean anything anymore here, but post SMG, this game better be amazing in some kind of way. I was hoping for environments way more mind blowing than this. It feels like some kind of stripped down level from sonic at this point. The graphics aren't bad, but the environments....I hope they take the time to polish up some things.

Mamesj

Banned
krypt0nian said:

This is bigger than this one game. I can't support this substandard tech anymore.

This substandard tech's knees are too sharp!

JDSN

Banned
krypt0nian said:

This alones justifies this thread. :lol

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Segata Sanshiro said:
The A-Life was in the original NiGHTS.

Looks like you just shat yourself.

Yes, A-Life was in the original NiGHTS. They were in the actual levels of the game. You mated them, made them happy, they changed the world around you, you even had to be careful not to hurt them. They greatly extended the length of a rather short game.

In Sonic Adventure, you had to find the Chao in an egg, drag it to the Chao Garden. Then you had to kill enemies in the levels to feed the Chao. And there was the poor Tamgotchi ripoff with the VMU. The whole game was basically pointless and didn't fit and the only reason anyone should have ever played it was to get the NiGHTS Chao.

Looks like you fail at your name.

krypt0nian said:

Well, I think you're cutting off your nose to spite your face, but it's your call.

BSTF said:
Yes, A-Life was in the original NiGHTS. They were in the actual levels of the game. You mated them, made them happy, they changed the world around you, you even had to be careful not to hurt them. They greatly extended the length of a rather short game.

In Sonic Adventure, you had to find the Chao in an egg, drag it to the Chao Garden. Then you had to kill enemies in the levels to feed the Chao. And there was the poor Tamgotchi ripoff with the VMU. The whole game was basically pointless and didn't fit and the only reason anyone should have ever played it was to get the NiGHTS Chao.

Looks like you fail at your name.
Didn't have Christmas NiGHTS, I see.

krypt0nian said:

You should totally make a thread about it.

Innotech said:
no it was pretty consistently terrible in the original. the art direction made up for it though.
It had an awesome draw distance :lol . I was still amazed at that time.

BSTF said:

BSTF
(neutral)
this post rates 1/10

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
krypt0nian said:

Serious question - After seeing PS3 games, does one refuse to play PS2 games ever again?

Tempy said:
Serious question - After seeing PS3 games, does one refuse to play PS2 games ever again?

One stops buying new PS2 games at full price. One rarely plays the PS2 games he has. I also don't buy old PS1/N64/xbox games for full price. Or rarely at all.

This looks worse than the hardware power provides. It's an embarrassment to gaming.

I am just sick to tears so it's best to bail out. Like i said, probably not the thread to say it in.

wazoo

Tempy said:

ps2 games (especially the last generation) look better than these screens.

Top Bottom