• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is lining up again, this time for Pokémon XY!

masud

Banned
This what a line was like at NWS in nyc
IFTuO9d.png

No pics though, my phone battery was near dead. I was just passing by to see the line, was surprised so I decided to go around see and how long it was. Line was moving fast and so were more people getting on line.

Wow that's a huge line.

Singapore

D9RRF8D.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UrNQJwq.jpg[IMG]

It's sold out everywhere in Singapore apparently.[/QUOTE]

Is that a Blackberry? This thread is now about why this kid has a Blackberry.

I'm thinking of picking up a 3DS XL and this for my girlfriend for Xmas.

I know next to nothing about the Pokemon franchise though. Is this going to appeal to a 28 year old female?

I'm thinking of picking up a 3DS XL and this for my girlfriend for Xmas.

I know next to nothing about the Pokemon franchise though. Is this going to appeal to a 28 year old female?

If she likes games, she'll probably like Pokemon. Girls love Pokemon, and besides that there are a ton of other games she'll probably like on 3DS.

For sure, though? Get Animal Crossing for her. Women love Animal Crossing.

If she likes games, she'll probably like Pokemon. Girls love Pokemon, and besides that there are a ton of other games she'll probably like on 3DS.

For sure, though? Get Animal Crossing for her. Women love Animal Crossing.

Yeah she is always asking me is there any type of game she can play on my Xbox 360 but she never finds anything.

Yeah she is always asking me is there any type of game she can play on my Xbox 360 but she never finds anything.

Not sure how into games she is, but nonetheless, tons of stuff on 3DS for her.

- Animal Crossing is a must-get.
- Pokemon is a good bet
- Get her the new Ace Attorney game, or even the older DS ones if you want to start her at the beginning. All fantastic games.
- Professor Layton
- Mario 3D Land
- Fire Emblem Awakening (one of my wife's favorite games, she's played every game in this series)

At my local Datablitz Store here in the Philippines, moderate lines for Pokemon, finally my home country is warming up to 3DS and Nintendo for that matter after years of Sony monopoly.

IMG_20131012_192411.jpg

I love that people still line up. I'm getting too old with too many kids to do it, but I'm glad it still happens.

Is online shopping still not a huge thing in JP?

olimpia84

Same exact spot:

Taken 30 mins before stores opened on Oct 10th for the Vita 2000 launch
2fI8Itjl.jpg

One day later for Pokemon X/Y
l_5258b96a9a28a_zpsdbd0e667.jpg

Ouch. This doesn't bode well for the Vita.
Looking at the pics in this thread I'm amazed at the worldwide hype for this game with all them midnight lines. Was it always like this with previous entries in the Pokemon series?

I love that people still line up. I'm getting too old with too many kids to do it, but I'm glad it still happens.

Is online shopping still not a huge thing in JP?
I only did it once, for the Wii, and will probably never do it again, but it was fun. I hope every gamer does it once.

Edit: As for your question, I'm not sure. Amazon and Toys R Us and all the online retailers still sell out quickly. Maybe they have have less stock online? I dunno.

sajj316

How do we know that it was a line for Vita 2000? Seems like just a sign in front of the store. The cones were most likely placed for Pokemon. Subjective photos ... smh!!

c5IGnT9.jpg

They better PUSH those unsold Wii U/Vita boxes in consumers' face. :lol

I was so tired when I arrived home, but here are some photos of the lines in São Paulo midnight launch. Sorry for the bad quality of the photos, my battery was dying and I needed the GPS on my phone to go back home. lol

The game started selling at 12:01 A.M....

[photos]

...and here are the people outside when I left at 2 A.M.

and we could only buy one copy per person, with 8 counters selling the game.
A mess, I decided not to go because Center Norte is too far from home. What's the point of getting the game at midnight and going to sleep right after? LOL

I just came back from Analia Franco, about 5 minutes away from home, and I found lines! Crazy, about 20 people.

X GET

I can't possibly be the only one who laments the fact that GTA, a satirical game with heavily adult themes and clearly not appropriate for young gamers to outdo classic franchises that are just plain fun for anybody like Mario and Pokemon. Don't get me wrong, I think GTA is fun and all, but I think there's real innocence lost on kids when we as a gamer society prioritize and idolize it over something everyone could enjoy.

/two cents

Going to somehow buy this game today. I hope I have space on my 3DS.

casiopao

Well, if you are okay, you can also check some of these games too.

1. Style Savvy Trendsetters. (Probably one of the most fun fashion game in 3DS which is all about you building a fashion shop and become the world best fashion maker.^_^)

2. Harvest Moon: A New Beginning.(Best Harvest Moon game in a long time. This game is all about farming and living the alive in the country side which is also allow you to have relationship with the people in the land and get married even till having your own children.)

3. Rune Factory 4( Almost the same as Harvest Moon series, however this one is filled with magic and fantasy setting and sprinkled with some RPG factors too which allow you to still have your farming life but this time you can also went to dungeon to face monster and grow stronger. You can also bring your waifu/husbando together to dungeon to fight monster.^_^)

4. Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure. (A rhythm game which is also filled with some puzzle with great animation,music and nice story. If your GF like rhythm game on Ipad, This game is surely a must.^_^)

I can't possibly be the only one who laments the fact that GTA, a satirical game with heavily adult themes and clearly not appropriate for young gamers to outdo classic franchises that are just plain fun for anybody like Mario and Pokemon. Don't get me wrong, I think GTA is fun and all, but I think there's real innocence lost on kids when we as a gamer society prioritize and idolize it over something everyone could enjoy.

/two cents

GTA is multiplatform. Mario and Pokemon are not but they sell quite a bit to be alone

Verendus

Banned
Do many people in Japan place online orders? It just seems the queuing for big things phenomenon is more common there.

/two cents

Pokemon and Mario are plenty successful. SMG sold about 10 million, The 2D one sold double that if I remember correctly. I don't know why there is anything to lament about GTA being more successful considering it releases once every 4-5 years and deserves any success it gets.

c5IGnT9.jpg

They better PUSH those unsold Wii U/Vita boxes in consumers' face. :lol

A mess, I decided not to go because Center Norte is too far from home. What's the point of getting the game at midnight and going to sleep right after? LOL

I just came back from Analia Franco, about 5 minutes away from home, and I found lines! Crazy, about 20 people.

X GET

Streetpasses man! Streetpasses. Where else am I gonna get all those Zigzagoons.

Since I was alone I had to drive the car, otherwise I would come back playing the game.

Analia Franco would be even further away from me. XD

And I still need to get another copy of X, for a friend's birthday present.

Tripon

Do many people in Japan place online orders? It just seems the queuing for big things phenomenon is more common there.

Pokemon and Mario are plenty successful. SMG sold about 10 million, The 2D one sold double that if I remember correctly. I don't know why there is anything to lament about GTA being more successful considering it releases once every 4-5 years and deserves any success it gets.
amazon.JP sold out of their initial Pokemon 3ds xl of 100000 in nine hours.

roknin

There's really nothing more entertaining than seeing people scream like idiots and run to their cars speeding like hell. Don't think I've ever seen a midnight sale more enthusiastic.

LOL yeah there was a lot of that at the GS I went to last night as well.

Dunno if this was he first midnight release for a Pokemon game, as I've never done one for 'em (usually get it the next day), but it was pretty eye-opening seeing such a varied crowd Most midnight releases I've gone to (SSF4, Brawl, some others) are the usual 20-something dudes buying the game for themselves.

Anyways, DEM LINES :-o

test_account

XP-39C²
GTA is multiplatform. Mario and Pokemon are not but they sell quite a bit to be alone
I also think it comes much down to taste and what people prefer to play. GTA San Andreas sold over 17 million copies on PS2 alone if i'm not mistaken. New Super Mario Bros Wii sold over 26 million copies i think, on Wii alone. But being multiplatform certainly doesnt hurt though, that is true.

Yanikun

Banned
I'm very undecided about this game. I was interested in it being in 3D, but it seems like it's just a top-down-ish view the entire time you have control over your characters with no camera control, and then forced dynamic camera angles. Is that correct?

Top Bottom