• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World |OT| Too X-treme for the Galaxy

Impressions after playing for an hour or so: this is probably going to get mixed reviews.

Not because it's bad or even mediocre, but because it's different. I can't recall ever playing a game that controls like this before. It takes some getting used to, and I imagine a lot of reviewers are gonna dismiss it after the first 45 minutes because of that.

But they shouldn't. Because after an hour I'm starting to get the hang of it and enjoying it quite a bit. I used to stop and start a lot in the first level but now I'm able to breeze through it, that's good game design, I'm getting better at it the more I play. It'll seem kinda stiff and awkward at first but stick with it.

Mr Swine

Banned
Sonic Generations was extremely detailed, which was why it was 30fps with some drops. Lost Worlds has a very simplistic art direction going for it, which is how they achieved 60fps.

Doesn't SLW have AA, 720P resolution and really sharp textures compared to Generations on console?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Doesn't SLW have AA, 720P resolution and really sharp textures compared to Generations on console?

Just look at the screens - it's less detailled than Generations. In screens Generations looks more impressive, though the cleaner look of Lost World is easier on the eyes, 60fps is of course an immeasurable advantage.

Blueblur1

Honestly, I think this tiered speed system can be the perfect way to finally implement momentum into the ganeplay.

I'm not just talking about momentum between tiers. For instance, imagine traversing the environnent on the lowest tier of speed, a quick tap of the Spin Dash
trigger would cause Sonic to roll for a short distance before uncurling. Doing the same on a higher tier would cause the roll to last longer. Just like the classics.

Then you add in the parkour, with its effectiveness being tied towards your momentum being retained. Give Sonic more grounded and free environments to play with these new abilities. Make the Spin Dash effected by the environment, slowing it down when reaching an uphill section.

Honestly, I truly think the dev team have the right idea and foundations in place, they just need better application.

I think they should just get rid of the tiers. Hold up to start walking which gradually turns into a run. Just make sure the walk speed isn't super slow or fast and that the max run speed is a little fast. No need for tiers and extra button presses (except for the Spin Dash).

Peff

I'm starting to see where the frustration with the latter half of the game is coming from... Sonic becomes REALLY slippery on ice and the fifth world, while having better 2D levels, doesn't do much new with the cylindrical stage, which is a shame. Plus the boss fights in general are bland and too easy. Let's see if they unlock the NiGHTS content later today, because if it's really just boss reskins... lol.

hodgy100

a local game shop sold the game to me today a day before the street date :) its fun

I'm starting to see where the frustration with the latter half of the game is coming from... Sonic becomes REALLY slippery on ice and the fifth world, while having better 2D levels, doesn't do much new with the cylindrical stage, which is a shame. Plus the boss fights in general are bland and too easy. Let's see if they unlock the NiGHTS content later today, because if it's really just boss reskins... lol.

its boss re-skins....

UrbanRats

Never been a big fan of Sonic, but this looks very good (probably because it reminds me of Galaxy so much).
Between this and Mario 3d Land, i might end up buying a WiiU this Christmas, we'll see.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn, I was hoping they weren't reskins....Not as excited now to play those battles. Does the music at least change, or is it literally just the same battles, only different background & such?

Peff

It's not even the actual battles, which is the hilarious part. Usually these bosses go

- Invulnerable, easy pattern to dodge/counterattack.
- Vulnerable.
- Invulnerable, medium pattern to dodge/counterattack.
- Vulnerable.
- Invulnerable, hard pattern to dodge/counterattack.
- Vulnerable, final hit.

This DLC is:

- Invulnerable, easy pattern to dodge/counterattack from the first boss.
- Invulnerable, easy pattern to dodge/counterattack from the second boss.
- Invulnerable, easy pattern to dodge/counterattack from the third boss
- Invulnerable, easy pattern to dodge/counterattack from the fourth boss.
- Invulnerable, easy pattern to dodge/counterattack from the fifth boss.
- I think it's the final pattern for the last boss, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Some of these are literally over in seconds, and that's all there is to the level. There is a fair amount of NiGHTS references, including the music, but it's not worth it at all. Just watch it on youtube.

Played the 4 first levels, I hate it. I guess I can still sell it for a profit, heh.

I've been watching my friend play through the first and second world and i have to agree.
He's returning it aswell. i think the people a few pages back that said the game is only half good or 7/10 are being very generous.
The game seems so rushed and unfinished, the boss fights are some of the worst i've ever seen and there are so many camera problems. And don't even get me started on the world map, which has to be the worst controlling level select screen ever made, what is the point of moving around diagonally on those tiles like that?. About the only thing we found good was when the boss said that he can't wait to pound sonics blue bum.
When the 2d sections of a sonic game are this boring, you know something is up.
Sonic fans will probably start attacking me, but i'm glad i cancelled my pre-order.
The reviews for this game are going to be all over the place, i can picture some very very low scores.

Edit: The game looks really great though.With some great classic enemies, just a shame about the rest so far. Maybe after world 2 it get's much better.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
These impressions are making me cancel my order and wait until this inevitably hits $20 in 6 months.

Yoshi

The game seems so rushed and unfinished, the boss fights are some of the worst i've ever seen and there are so many camera problems. And don't even get me started on the world map, which has to be the worst controlling level select screen ever made, what is the point of moving around diagonally on those tiles like that?.
There is a point in that, but you realize you can just use the d-pad to go to the next / previous level in one button press, right? I also don't see how this game seems rushed of unfinished, you may or may not like what the game is, but it doesn't seem unfinished at all oO.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just checked & STILL no demo for the US/EU this week.

Hearing impressions, I'm trying to decide if I should keep my pre-order or just get my credit back from GameStop & use it on another game (Super Mario 3D World, perhaps), then get Lost World on Black Friday or something. & it's not like the pre-order bonus is that big of a deal.

There is a point in that, but you realize you can just use the d-pad to go to the next / previous level in one button press, right? I also don't see how this game seems rushed of unfinished, you may or may not like what the game is, but it doesn't seem unfinished at all oO.

when the boss fights play out how they do,along with a camera problems the game to me clearly seems rushed.
Just look at the first bosses animation as he chases you with that ball, notice anything strange when he jumps, such as no animation at all?
And that world map/level select screen is awful. I'd rather have just text.

But it is as awful as 3d Mario looks?
3d world looked awful on the first trailer, but that latest one made it look much better. Lost world looks great as i said above, but it doesn't play so good.
3d world is a mario game, they all play amazing, i just wasn't happy with the art direction of 3d world after the first trailer.

Yoshi

He has some animation, also I don't know what you mean by camera problems. Maybe I'm just too used to Sonic cameras, but I didn't experience even once that something was not in sight that I needed to see.

Jazzem

Really couldn't care less about the notion of it being too short, I just want the quality to be strong. That will then lead to immense replayability as it does with the best Sonic games.

Can't remember the last time I was both so excited and anxious about a game...really desperate to hear more impressions!

mf luder

Hearing impressions, I'm trying to decide if I should keep my pre-order or just get my credit back from GameStop & use it on another game (Super Mario 3D World, perhaps), then get Lost World on Black Friday or something. & it's not like the pre-order bonus is that big of a deal.

No demo, I'm not buying it then, I've been burned by crappy sonic games to many times.

Yoshi

A few hours in and yeah, I'm really enjoying this. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty great. Solid 8/10 so far if you ask me.

I really think the difficulties to get into the game will hurt the reception and the reviews a lot.

I really think the difficulties to get into the game will hurt the reception and the reviews a lot.
It will. I find that most reviewers sadly don't have the time/inclination to really get into a game. It's a lot easier to say that it has crap controls and slap a 6/10 on it than it is to take the time to understand the way the game's mechanics work. It's gonna happen, just watch.

NotLiquid

So the Sonic Cycle is officially back?

Did the game get less appealing as development went on and also get ruined by "shitty friends" or is the game just not as fantastic as it could have been?

Because the latter is what this game seems to be, and that's not a Sonic Cycle. I don't even know how the Cycle eventually had to be simplified to meaning "game is kind of disappointing".

Actually, besides Sonic & The Black Knight (and not counting such things as having to play Knuckles for the first time after having played Sonic in the first level of Sonic Adventure 2), imo no Sonic game became weaker as you played it. The closest thing to that would be Sonic Heroes, because of the (too) long levels later int he game offseting the gain due to the better understanding of the mechanics. If anything, I think the game will grow on you as you learn the finer aspects of the mechanics instead of heading down the crapper.

Ain't that the truth about heroes, best stages in the game are like the first two.
But anyway having played it a bit more things have been steady so far though heading trough the tropical world brings it's own nuisances with certain level design at points, core mechanics i'm definitely getting more used to.

So more impressions to add to the collection.

- I'm actually pretty comfortable with how this game controls, I felt we could've got one more game out of the boost style Sonic with more of a 3D push but this as a replacement does me just fine for now. Traditional momentum game is kinda out the window with this setup but you've got enough speed shifts to fit a situation. I replayed some of Generations yesterday and as much as I enjoy the Modern Sonic stuff in it he's fiddly and finicky as fuck so it's nice to have a lot more control over your actions even if there's still that little lack of extra precision at times.

- The homing attack kind of irks me, relying on the multiple lock on can be awkward and if the enemies end up behind Sonic or off screen with say the camera following Sonic upwards after pinging off another enemy you can get a messy landing, rings all over the place.
The kick seems kinda unnecessary, it often just leads to learning the hard way that a homing attack wont do the job on a specific enemy, fortunately Sonic's ring system will alleviate the frustration somewhat with this sort of issue.

- I'm happy with the decision to tone down on the graphical details and maintain a superior frame rate, it's far more important to me and the strong art direction leads the game to looking very nice anyway.

- Flippin' gyro I hate you so very, very much. My mortal enemy of motion controls, I can waggle, I can point and such without any grief but gyro always gets me. Now most Wisps actually appear to have button controls (and you can activate them with a shoulder button as opposed to tapping their touch screen icon) but the bloomin' rocket does not comply to my button demands, the time it takes me to aim with the gyro is a big flow breaker for me.
Anyway Wisps seem fine otherwise though not on the same level as their colours originators thus far.

- There's a lot of hubbub about the bosses here it seems, too easy? yeah probably, is that a bad thing? hell no, the less time spent playing platforming bosses the better as far as i'm concerned and we're talking about a series which to me has a long lineage of unremarkable boss fights. Each boss does at least appear to bring their own variety to the table, sometimes feeling like an extension of a stage gimmick. Point is I don't see much to take issue with here, the only platformer in recent memory that had me see the bosses as the games strong point is Puppeteer and that's more because the game's main mechanics work better for that sort of thing. Bosses do highlight more homing attack woes at times though.

- The variety of stage types so far hasn't come across as detrimental as I initially feared thus far, Sonic's Parkour tricks are taking time to learn and understand, I think there's some great potential here but i'm still pretty clumsy at some of it.

- Between a stage i'm going to refer to as grind carts which was actually pretty neat and a horrible special stage that played like a poor mans DKCR rocket barrel stage it's like someone spilt a small dropof DKCR into this mix which certainly has its share of Galaxy style moments. Regardless of any similarities to other games I'm still finding this to have it's own identity on how it actually plays out.

- Music is pretty great, nothing has leapt out at me in the same manner that say Rooftop Run or Aquarium Park did on my first trips through but it's continuing the trend of enjoyable Sonic Soundtracks.

- Frozen Factory Act 1 was some frustrating stuff, the ice wasn't so much a slippery twist on the standard platforming as it was just plain annoying and kind of messed with the moves Sonic usually has available, also Sonic doing a pirouette jump thing is just weird, oddly Mario doing the same thing looks kinda normal.

- Despite a steady flow of cutscenes they're short and to the point, retaining the same goofy cartoonish vibe of other recent entries right down to the silly name calling (the return of Baldy McNosehair!). Fine by me, the humour isn't always a hit but one must keep in mind the main audience for this sort of thing, far better to aim for this younger audience than the likes of Shadow and Sonic 06.

Anyway I'd say that I'm enjoying the game, it looks to be another fun but flawed addition to the recent string of competent 3D Sonic titles, the switch to a new style of gameplay was always going to have a few growing pains and I wasn't really anticipating a masterclass in platforming to begin with so this is about in line with what I was expecting. Probably going to be a somewhat divisive game but that seems like the norm for Sonic these days, hey as long as the games don't start sliding back downhill i'm fine.
It does have a learning curve which is actually sorta steep for a Sonic title, but after playing Wonderful 101 with it's trial by fire approach to learning just how the hell you were supposed to play it i'm pretty okay with this, granted others might not be.

Have a WiiU. Have no interest in that version.

I want to know how the 3DS iteration handles; I've got that preordered in full.

I don't want to waste $ if it sucks.

C'mon guys give us the nitty gritty on the handheld Sonic ^_^

qq more

Have a WiiU. Have no interest in that version.

I want to know how the 3DS iteration handles; I've got that preordered in full.

I don't want to waste $ if it sucks.

C'mon guys give us the nitty gritty on the handheld Sonic ^_^

I'm honestly worried about the 3DS version since it's handled by Dimps, but then again their Colors DS game was pretty good... but Generations 3DS? Not so much.

Peff

Yes, and it vanishes when you finish it too! I guess it may come back after beating the game but it's still weird.

Seik

Banned
Damn, those impressions are killing my hype a bit.

Welp, I'll keep my pre-order since I'm only paying 39,99$. Can't wait to try it by myself though. D:

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Dis game! Fucking amazing. Love it. I actually felt the first world was fairly mediocre but it just seems to get better and better. Great controls, great level design, great gameplay and great variety. Leagues better than the disappointment that was Generations and it even makes Colours look mediocre. Boss fights seem pretty crappy so far though and I don't like the way some wisps force gamepad bullshit on you. Other than that I adore this game so far.

Yes, and it vanishes when you finish it too! I guess it may come back after beating the game but it's still weird.

It reappears after you finish another level as it's the first thing I did , and the NiGHTS section is back again on my map.

I was very underwhelmed though, I mean the bits with Sonic and NiGHTS running is great, but the boss fights are underwhelming and terrible. I can even completely skip at least one of the fights by slipping though wizeman's hand.

Frozen Factory Act 2 is really getting on my nerves, I enjoy the level gimmick! But why must Sonic Team insist on placing enemies and obsticles in places making it not fun at all?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hm. I have to wonder if making a reviews thread is now necessary. I'll contemplate it, but I'm fairly certain that I'll make one given the mood and nature of discourse in the thread. That way, the game discussion won't be bogged down with reviews analysis and console war politics when the embargo ends.

Also methinks EatChildren's out for blood, sooooooo... I'll probably make one tonight. >.>

So the Sonic Cycle is officially back?
That was used specifically for garbage games like 2006 and Shadow, so no. I really wish people would stop using that expression erroneously, since nothing like what happened in that middle era is cropping up now.

Haha, wow, it is, and not even the whole thing. What a joke. Don't go out of your way to get the Deadly Six edition.
Oh wow. I thought it'd be somethin' else.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Also people have been lying to me about the Wii U. I was told the distance from the console that you could play on the gamepad was pathetically small. I was told I would be unable to play a game in my living room if my console was in my bedroom. This is a lie. I've been playing Sonic like this without issue.

Courage

I'm also contemplating this. Money is scarce, so if this is just another "okay" Sonic game, I'm sure I can pass for now.

When does the embargo end again?

Sendou

Also people have been lying to me about the Wii U. I was told the distance from the console that you could play on the gamepad was pathetically small. I was told I would be unable to play a game in my living room if my console was in my bedroom. This is a lie. I've been playing Sonic like this without issue.

It varies a great deal. How thick your walls are, how big your house is etc.

Fandangox

It depends on some factors. If there's devices interfering range might be very short.

Where I used to live when I got the Wii U there wasn't that much stuff in the house and the living room was big, so I could move anywhere there.

At my brother's apartment there's lot of stuff that cause interference, I cannot go to the kitchen (which is like 8 steps from the Wii U) without losing contact.

Zalman

Dis game! Fucking amazing. Love it. I actually felt the first world was fairly mediocre but it just seems to get better and better. Great controls, great level design, great gameplay and great variety. Leagues better than the disappointment that was Generations and it even makes Colours look mediocre. Boss fights seem pretty crappy so far though and I don't like the way some wisps force gamepad bullshit on you. Other than that I adore this game so far.
What if you play with the Pro Controller? Is that even possible?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's different and depending on how much interference there is between the GamePad and the Wii U. For example, my walls are kind of thick or there's a lot stuff in the way, so I can't really take it out of my room and go into another room.

If I played it somewhere else with less obstructions, I can certainly go into another room and play from far away. It just depends.

When does the embargo end again?
The 18th at 4:00 AM EDT. It was in the first post after the OP:
Nice OT, love the title.

If anyone's curious the review embargo is the 18th at 4:00am EST.

Top Bottom