• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World |OT| Too X-treme for the Galaxy

Boogiepop

100 Rings = Extra life being patched in. Button controls are being patched in for the motion controlled wisps.

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/10/sonic-lost-world-for-wii-u-gets-free-update/

Awesome. Hopefully at least now the narrative around this game will become a little more focused instead of people homing on the lack of 100 rings=life thing, which was the least of the game's problems IMO. After having stepped away from it for a while and playing Mario 3D World in the interim, I'd probably say the game feels like a 8/10 or so to me. Hopefully now the feedback will lead them to look into tightening up the level design/routes a little more for future games, as well as the implementation of the wisps rather than their control methods and difficulty.

Wonder how Black Bomb will feel though, considering it was pretty clearly actually SUPPOSED to be pretty fidgety by design. I guess this would at least make the missions to use it a LOT less of a pain.

Oh, and a bit of an aside: are there multiple save slots in this (and Generations)? Planning on playing with friends some time eventually, and I'd prefer not to have to override my complete file(s).

Oh, and a bit of an aside: are there multiple save slots in this (and Generations)? Planning on playing with friends some time eventually, and I'd prefer not to have to override my complete file(s).

Nope. Both games only have "New" and "Continue" from their main menus. Presumably you could cheat with the 360 version and tell it to save in an alternate location (on a USB stick or in the cloud), or switch to a different XBL profile and start a new game there.

AniHawk

i think the biggest thing the patch fixes is making the coins do more. it's not that the game is particularly hard, but die in the middle of a ten-minute level until you game over and suddenly it's a lot more frustrating.

the problem really is with the game's pacing. not only are there good ideas and bad ideas, but a lot of the time they happen in the same level.

Azure J

i think the biggest thing the patch fixes is making the coins do more. it's not that the game is particularly hard, but die in the middle of a ten-minute level until you game over and suddenly it's a lot more frustrating.

the problem really is with the game's pacing. not only are there good ideas and bad ideas, but a lot of the time they happen in the same level.

All of this. As I said before, it's really like they ran the most beautiful near touchdown plays on every aspect of this game only to have multiple one yard line fumbles back to back.

The parkour system is a seriously excellent idea, but why is everything about engaging "parkour mode" so stiff? Also, why does it never feel 100% organic when Sonic starts running up walls in 2D mode? It always feels like he's just magnetized to the walls and is semi-scripted in his ascent.

Double jump being a natural ability is great, but why does the actual double jump feel more like a "casual hop then someone turned on double gravity mode"?

Giving Sonic "gears" that he could shift into with the run button was a great way to put a check on wildly dashing about in every direction, but why did they cap the speed so "low"? We understand that you're going in a new direction with the design for Lost World, but why did you get rid of conventions that were legitimately excellent and wouldn't get in the way of the game as it stands? (Quick step is FAR too good to not be a staple Sonic mechanic.)

Spindash is back and better than ever, but why does it force me to a complete stop to rev instead of working like a halfway point between the classic Genesis roll (roll to continue with the current forward momentum and speed) and the boosts in Unleashed/Colors/Generations (maybe it could build up to max spindash speed over time)? This is of course in situations when you aren't at a full stop trying to spin dash your way out.

Wisps were awesome in Colors for giving verticality back to the series and multiple routes to the game both in 2D and 3D mode. Why then were they put in this game in more linear and uninspired manners?

Stage gimmicks aren't a bad idea by themselves, but what the flying fuck happened when designing the snowball level? Who thought that would be a satisfying level?

I like the 3DS demo a lot, but it sounds like the actual full game may be flawed in some ways. I guess Sonic games are always, to some extent, experimental. If I could find it cheap, I would probably buy it, just to do some more 3D platforming in a Sonic game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
For $30, that's a decent price. & it seems I might be getting the 3DS for Xmas, considering it appeared on my Power Up Rewards notification the same day my dad & sis went to GameStop to trade something in.

JaxJag

Banned
Yeah, think i'm going to hold off a little longer. if it was another time of the year, then I would of snatched it up. But I have so many games right now, i'd be a waste of money.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, if you'd like, pick it up for about $20-30. Azure J's post is pretty dead-on.

Pretty sure the Deadly Six Edition is the ONLY edition available, it really is ASRT all over again; you see the game, it's that edition.
Oh man, I love your avatar so much, lol.

It made me grin like an idiot.

NotLiquid

All of this. As I said before, it's really like they ran the most beautiful near touchdown plays on every aspect of this game only to have multiple one yard line fumbles back to back.

Every time I think of an analogy for the game I remember that one scene in The Waterboy where Adam Sandler's character has his first big game, is crushing the competition and looks to be everything the team ever needed after years of completely fucking up. Then when he's about to score their first win and gets the ball, he hands the ball to the opponent so he can do something entirely different.

That's basically this game. It does so many things good and gets so close to the levels of amazing but the mistakes that hold it back are so fucking stupid and wouldn't even have been issues for other developers.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So yeah. Yoshi's Island Zone DLC is now up, 32MB. Bleh, now I regret selling my copy for money for other games so soon. Any word on if the 3DS version gets it?

Also, Zelda based zone coming as well.

GSdTCvu.jpg

The DLC is okay. It's a pretty short, mostly simple stage where you can farm lives very easily - the more eggs you save, the more 1ups you get at the end of the level, and I think you get a multiplier if the roulette lands on a flower. I ended up getting around 30 lives after finishing it with every egg.

Good thing it's free, though. I couldn't see paying more than a dollar or two for this.

DLC was pretty nice and simple; I might've preferred 3D over a 2D stage, but this worked for me. Loved the look of it. Didn't know about the life-harvesting of the Yoshi DLC until I finally got through without dropping all the eggs. A nice surprise.

Funny how this DLC comes around the same time that 100 rings = extra life again; now Lost World feels pretty easy.

Blueblur1

I just finished the Wii U version. What an awful set of final stages. The same goes for the boss. I'm much too tired to parse out all of my thoughts and write something coherent but this game was as fun as Sonic 2006 was. It's by far the worst Modern Sonic game, IMO.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Just started this, finished the first world and the first level of Desert Ruins. Does the game get significantly worse? Because I really like what I've played so far. And it looks gorgeous.

Just started this, finished the first world and the first level of Desert Ruins. Does the game get significantly worse? Because I really like what I've played so far. And it looks gorgeous.

I did not enjoy the game in general but the second half is definitely worse than the first half. Just wait until you get to the snow world.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I did not enjoy the game in general but the second half is definitely worse than the first half. Just wait until you get to the snow world.
Huh, disappointing to hear. I'll reserve my judgment till I finish it then.

qq more

To me, I enjoyed the first 3 worlds, but even they were a bit dodgy here and there. The 4th world onwards is where I began to dislike the game.

this game is awful what the hell did sega do to sonic

I pray that this was only a test

games looks nice

music is nice

game plays like a fudging tank control are awful

I'm only one world 3 and the levels are so short boss battles are so lame also

the story is funny , cut scenes have me in stiches

"I didn't raise my Hand"

ive only gone fast one level the rest of the time im plat forming this insist a Mario game

qq more

this game is awful what the hell did sega do to sonic

I pray that this was only a test

games looks nice

music is nice

game plays like a fudging tank control are awful

I'm only one world 3 and the levels are so short boss battles are so lame also

the story is funny , cut scenes have me in stiches

"I didn't raise my Hand"

ive only gone fast one level the rest of the time im plat forming this insist a Mario game
sonic levels are generally short to be fair

but yeah the game... :/ i agree with everything you've said. i think this is just an experimental sonic game. i hope the next one either executes the concept better or go back to the proven boost gameplay for a while

sonic levels are generally short to be fair

but yeah the game... :/ i agree with everything you've said. i think this is just an experimental sonic game. i hope the next one either executes the concept better or go back to the proven boost gameplay for a while

Nintendo have a 3 sonic games deal

1. Olympics
2. Lost World

since sony registered a sonic movie domain I bet the real next gen sonic game is the movie game

3. Movie Game

Nintendo have a 3 sonic games deal

1. Olympics
2. Lost World

since sony registered a sonic movie domain I bet the real next gen sonic game is the movie game

3. Movie Game
Nintendo gets exclusive game base d on Sony movie, and Sony themselves don't? Seems kinda far-fetched.

so im as far as the lava world

holy hell this game is just a Mario game

its such a blant rip off of Super Mario Galaxy & New Super Mario Bros Series

this game im so glad it just just a test

but im still having fun though the game still has cheap deaths

I can think of any time ive gone fast expet for on rails parts

game had only 30 minutes of cutscenes ?

a lot of them were funny

Kind of funny, I guess. It's a lot of the same sort of humor from Sonic Colors that kind of walks a fine line between being cringe-worthy and humorously cheesy.

The story itself is kind of dumb, too. Like I get that Sonic plots for a long time were too serious or whatever but this is like the opposite end of that spectrum where if you think too hard about anything that happens in this game it's all just annoying fluff.

Like a dumb popcorn movie. Things happen just because it's convenient.

Honestly if you ask me, Sega should just get Ian Flynn to write the stories for these things. He's been doing a legitimately great job writing fun, lighthearted stories for Archie's Sonic Comic for like four or five years now. He could undoubtedly pen something that was as funny if not funnier than Lost World while also making sure it actually was like... a legitimate storyline.

Yuterald

Halfway through Frozen Factory and I'm still sorta digging this game. Once I got used to the weird controls and started going for S-ranks I found myself enjoying this game. At this point, I continue to play these Sonic games for three simple reasons. I like getting S-ranks, I love Sega's blue skies, and the music is always cool. With that said, I've been pretty disappointed with the OST. Holy shit though, once I got to Tropical Resort Zone 3 I was good to go. I've been waiting for my Planet Wisp/Aquatic Park equivalent in Lost World and I finally got it. Sea Bottom Segue is my kind of stuff. Also, why the fuck is one of the most competent stages in the game made entirely out of rails? Seriously, Zone 3 of that world is probably one of the best, if not best rail stages I've played in one of these dumb games, hah! Such a weird game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
sorry to bump this, but: I'm going to finish DKCTF within the next few weeks and, as Wii U retail game, waiting for MK8, I was planning to look for this Sonic game.
Especially after the announce of Boom, I was planning to build a little "collection" of Sonic on my Wii U (as I'd love to do with other few, very few, third party brands...such as Scribblenauts, or Lego or others...), so I'd like to ask you:

I've found the game around 35€. Is that a good price or didi you find it cheaper somewhere? PAL version is the right one for me
Is the Wii U version somehow different and better than the 3DS version? I didn't like the 3DS version so much, honestly, because of camera/levels structure, while I liked the demo I've tried for Wii U, and I liked also the graphic on that console

Thank you for the replies!

NotLiquid

If you enjoyed the Wii U demo there's a good chance that you'll enjoy the rest of the game. The second half isn't as good as the first half but it's mostly easy to overlook assuming you are a fan of the mechanics in play.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If you enjoyed the Wii U demo there's a good chance that you'll enjoy the rest of the game. The second half isn't as good as the first half but it's mostly easy to overlook assuming you are a fan of the mechanics in play.

good to hear! thx!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
up! I've just received the game!immediately download the available dlc: six villains and yoshi levels! now I'll start the game!

I did! I liked it! At least the main outdoor area. It was fun to roam around in. The camera was a pain when it automatically goes above and turns erratically.

This would've been a good template to build the game on, instead of the lousy cylinder and tube levels. Sonic controlled well in this environment, like in the Adventure era, of course I much prefer the exact way specifically in SA1, that was sheer joy to move around in.

I made a screen:

WiiU_screenshot_TV_0128F.jpg

Top Bottom