• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World |OT| Too X-treme for the Galaxy

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
soniclostworld595ptkw0.png

pyisl6amszj1h.png

sonic_lost_world_wiiuf0piw.jpg
sonic_lost_world_3dsvwp4u.jpg

Publisher: Nintendo (EU/AUS), Sega (NA/JP)
Developer: Sonic Team (Wii U), Dimps (3DS)
Platforms: Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS
Genre: Platformer (Action-Platformer)
Modes [Nintendo Wii U]: Single-player; Multiplayer (local – co-op/versus)
Modes [Nintendo 3DS]: Single-player; Multiplayer (online, local)​

Release Dates:
AUS: 19 October 2013
EU: 18 October 2013
NA: October 29, 2013
JP: October 24, 2013​

Preorder Bonuses

Preorder Sonic Lost World on Wii U at retail, and you can have access to the Deadly Six Edition:

sonic-deadly-sixbns89.jpg

This edition affords the player the ability to defeat the Deadly Six as they take you to the world from NiGHTS into Dreams. The player may fight the Deadly Six in extra levels where all of the Deadly Six members are riding on boss characters from NiGHTS into Dreams. The player is also able to access the Black Wisp.

Note: You can get download codes for the additional level available in the Deadly Six Edition and five Black Bomb colour powers if you purchase Sonic Lost World from Nintendo eShop on your Wii U between 00:01 (UK time) on October 18th and 23:59 (UK time) on October 26th (details for the US version likely to be similar--will be posted later). Before purchasing you must first register your Wii U console with your Club Nintendo account, then log in to Club Nintendo after purchasing and check the banners to claim and redeem your free download codes on or before 31st December 2013.​

Preorder Sonic Lost World from Amazon, and you get 25 Lives. Yeah, I dunno.​

soniclostworldpreordeurz5t.jpg

Preorder Sonic Lost World from GameStop, and you get an in-game Sonic Omochao RC Gadget.​

soniclostworldpreordefeafy.jpg

Preorder Sonic Lost World from ShopTo, and you get a rare gold Omochao RC gadget and 5 extra Black Bomb wisp powers.​

soniclostworldpreorde3hxbg.jpg

storyims6b.png

Dr. Eggman is at it again: he’s captured and stolen several of Sonic and Tails’s friends. While in pursuit of Eggman, Sonic and Tails crash land on a strange world known as Lost Hex. There, they learn that Eggman has manipulated the power of a group of natives to the Lost Hex known as The Deadly Six. Sonic, determined to defeat Eggman and put an end to his nonsense, rushes in and kicks away a shell that Eggman was using to keep The Deadly Six under his command. This proves to be detrimental for both parties, as The Deadly Six immediately rebel and take control of Eggman’s badniks. Thus Sonic and Eggman are forced to reluctantly work together in order to stop The Deadly Six from executing their schemes.​

The Deadly Six

11n4sno.png

thumb_1sbjyw.jpg
Zavok – The Deadly Six’s cruel and merciless leader whose mind is focused on only one thing: world domination.

zazz2tkov.jpg
Zazz – The Deadly Six’s nasty and ruthless unpredictable member, which proves to be both an asset and a detriment to him.

zomombqj0q.jpg
Zomom – The Deadly Six’s bumbling and slow, but strongest member. He has an appetite for big sandwiches and blue hedgehogs.

master-zikn7k5p.jpg
Master Zik – The Deadly Six’s semi-retired founder. His assets are not only his wisdom, but also his agility of someone a fraction of his age.

zeenam3jcy.jpg
Zeena: The Deadly Six’s only female member. Her short fuse shows that she likes to look after herself and only herself.

zor1uj25.jpg
Zor – The Deadly Six’s moodiest member, who readily uses forbidden powers that the other five dare not touch.​

sancimdufj.png

Sonic Lost World features some new and old features with respect to platforming. The Acts include level design that shift in perspective that allows for both 3D and 2D gameplay. Sonic can move with more flexibility in both versions of Sonic Lost World, with the new parkour system. You can vault over obstacles, free-run up and along walls, sky dive between islands, and use Sonic’s classic spindash. You may also use Colour/Wisp powers, first seen in Sonic Colours to augment your playstyle as you travel through levels. Acts and Zones also grant Sonic more flexibility in terms of their design. They’re bigger spaces to move in, and you may travel in many different directions throughout the level map by using Sonic’s parkour skills to find collectables in each Act like Red Rings. The player must guide Sonic to the end of the Act to release Sonic’s friends from a capsule.

In the Wii U version of the game, Sonic has access to the Flying Kick attack, which lets him destroy enemies that his regular Homing Attack can’t. In the 3DS version, by contrast, he uses a somersault attack, which can stun enemies for a short amount of time.​

[Nintendo Wii U version]

• Use the GamePad to use Wii U-exclusive Colour/Wisp Powers. You can tilt/aim the GamePad to use them, and touch the screen to execute them.
  • You can play the full game using only the Wii U GamePad.
  • You can share and charge up items by sending them to Miiverse to share with other players worldwide.
  • You can play with other players locally in co-op. Have a friend pilot radio-controlled gadgets to help your character by destroying enemies and obstructions.
  • You can race against a friend locally as you play on the GamePad’s screen, and they play on the TV screen.

In the Wii U version, Sonic can use his new Parkour skills to run up and along walls, use his new Flying Kick attack to get rid of enemies, and use his classic spindash to speed through Acts and get rid of enemies. Click on each picture to check out gameplay!

[Nintendo 3DS version]

• There are Colour Powers exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS version such as Red Burst, Ivory Lightning, and Grey Quake.
  • This version includes exclusive Special Stages. You can tilt your 3DS to navigate them to retrieve the Chaos Emeralds. They are somewhat modeled after Blue Sphere from S3&K.
  • You can create and customize radio-controlled gadgets to help Sonic through levels.
  • You can race against friends (4-player) through local and online modes.
  • Share your gadgets between the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS versions.

special_stages_in_sonphk8v.png

In the Nintendo 3DS version, Sonic can run up walls, somersault attack, and run along walls. Click any picture above the picture of the Special Stage to see these skills in action.​

v4pt9620kpkbr.png

Click on a Wii U Wisp for a video showing how they work!​

: Exclusive to the Wii U Deadly Six Edition. It allows Sonic to transform into the Black Bomb to explode and roll on enemies.

: [Wii U] Lets Sonic turn into the Orange Rocket. It lets him rocket into the sky, then skydive as he comes down to earth.

: [Wii U] Allows Sonic to turn into the Crimson Eagle where he can soar through the air and light-speed dash.

: [Wii U/3DS] Lets Sonic turn into the Cyan Laser, which lets him shoot himself like a laser through prisms.

: [Wii U/3DS] Lets Sonic turn into the Yellow Drill to quickly burrow through the ground (and water) for a short time.

: [Wii U] Allows Sonic transform into the Green Hover. He can fly around for a small time, and can light speed dash.

: [Wii U/3DS] Lets Sonic transform into the Indigo Asteroid. He can destroy nearby objects and badniks, which allows the ring surrounding him to grow.

: [Wii U] Lets Sonic transform into the Magenta Rhythm. It lets him bounce up and down and all around by collecting music notes to move.

bursta5sai.png
: [3DS] Lets Sonic transform into the Red Burst, which lets him burst through the air and explode on badniks.

greyquakeaask3.png
: [3DS] Allows Sonic to transform into the Grey Quake, which lets him create earthquakes and waves to destroy objects.

lightningq1sbt.png
: [3DS] Allows Sonic to transform into the Ivory Lightning, which he can use to zap to nearby coils while moving quickly.​

soniclostworldotzoneb2akth.png

The left picture shows the Wii U version. The right picture showcases the 3DS version. Click each Wii U picture to see gameplay for each Zone! (There’s also footage for Windy Hill and Desert Ruins for the 3DS if you click on those respective pictures.)

windyhill-copyldsoa.png

desertruins3js1b.png

tropicalcoast-copy11slp.png

4duq7h.png

frozenfactory8vstp.png

1vyr3n.png

silentforest-copytss1m.png

56nrs7.png

skyroad-copyb8sfy.png

6bjr2j.png

lavamountain-copyv9skr.png

[3DS version equivalent shrouded in mystery]​

jl47veqefzjvt.png

trailerssub1lnoun.png

trailersedit40soe3.png

prevgrs37.png

MTV
Like the disparate zones featured in "Sonic Lost World," the game's hero is varied in a way that at least attempts to honor the "Sonic" games of the past, drawing on mechanics from both 2D and 3D outings for SEGA's mascot. Not only will he be dashing along at speed in over-the-shoulder branching levels a la "Sonic 3D," but he'll have color-based powers in the style of "Sonic Colors," as well as new abilities like parkour to keep the momentum going in the game's fast-paced levels.
IGN

Counter-intuitively, though, having the slower Sonic as an option makes moving through levels a much more fluid and quick-seeming experience. Platforming in 3D has been a problem for the Hedgehog since Sonic Adventures, but it looks to be solved here. I had no problem sprinting towards a ledge, only to slow down a bit to make some more precise jumps – something that would have been near impossible and very not fun in previous Sonic games. The grand result is a fluid, precise 3D Sonic game that has finally managed to bring what made him great into the modern era. This is what Sonic has always been about: momentum, not reckless speed. Lost World seems to be a true return to the Sonic roots by way of an overhaul of the way he works.

Polygon

In the 3DS version, Sonic is running forward as in the Wii U version, a break from the traditional 2D side-scrolling nature of most handheld Sonic titles. But each level in the Wii U version has been completely redesigned for the 3DS version, offering players two alternate experiences of the same game. Players have the same fluid control over Sonic and his bank of moves, but in areas that are "entirely different" from what they may have seen in the Wii U version

Giant Bomb Quick Look

ff8gpaalcokms.png

Please try to keep it civil when reviews do come out.

For now, most of the reviews are going to be put into this thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699280). Keep discussion about reviews there.​

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special thanks to everyone who voted on the thread title, Shadow Hog for coming up with the winning thread title and the OP ending gif, qq more for help with editing, getting articles and other fixes, and BlackJace for the banners. You guys all rock.​

As for the thread, it would be genuinely appreciated across the board if talk about sales, stupid fanart/fanfics, and bickering about one of the consoles for which the game is available is discouraged. This thread is about the game, and other threads such as the Awesome Fanart thread and the myriad of Wii U threads exist for debate and chuckles. Try to be civil and respectful to each other. Thank you.​

Anyway, have fun!

ireallyhateeggman_eiuno.gif

hawk2025

I'm still salty that this doesn't come out until the end of the month in the US. This keeps happening with Wii U games :(

Great OT, by the way, looks super clean and sharp. I'll read some of the details I may have missed on the game now.

PetrCobra

After playing this for a short time yesterday, I'm afraid this will be a huge disaster. Maybe not sales-wise, of course. But the gameplay sucked so much that I was in shock. The game mostly played itself and when it did not, I felt like all the auto-aim and auto-direction was destroying all the effort I put into the controls.

Edit: Wii U version

EhoaVash

when is the US demo coming out ? =/
also lately I've been seeing disappointments from those who played the japanese demo/some game journalists have tweeted some things to worry about.

I'm hoping this game gets 8s

.expecting 7 or below ._.

This is coming out so soon? Oh wait, it's the NA date. Darn. Oh well, I got pokemon for a while, and my PS3 is just about getting fixed. I will try to pick this up on launch, though. This is the first Sonic game I am excited for in YEARS.

BlackJace

Nice job putting it all together, Schala!
Broke as fuck from other things, and I just bought Pokemon X, so the 3DS version of LW will have to wait a few weeks.

NotLiquid

This is coming out so soon? Oh wait, it's the NA date. Darn. Oh well, I got pokemon for a while, and my PS3 is just about getting fixed. I will try to pick this up on launch, though. This is the first Sonic game I am excited for in YEARS.

It's coming out in Europe the 18th. America gets it 11 days later.

MilkBeard

Oh man, forgot that this game's release was coming so soon. Gonna have to pick this up. WiiU version all the way.

Love the thread title by the way.

Gusto

After playing the E3 demo, it still felt like it was missing something. It's the poor mans Mario galaxy.

Seik

Banned
I thought everyone was getting the game for October 29....

NOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

That said, you did a wonderful job, Dark Schala! :D

Can't wait!

wNJEdC7.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wait--so if you don't preorder it, you don't get access to the "deadly six" edition on Wii U? I thought that was the only edition on Wii U and preordering had nothing to do with it.

Neoxon

Wait--so if you don't preorder it, you don't get access to the "deadly six" edition on Wii U? I thought that was the only edition on Wii U and preordering had nothing to do with it.
It's likely that you'll get it if you get the first print. Pre-ordering just guarantees that you'll get the Deadly Six Bonus Edition.

TnK

This is the first sonic game in the history of ever that I am excited about. Looks really promising, and I hope it delivers. It says a lot when someone who had 0 interest in sonic before gets hyped for a sonic release.

EDIT:
After playing this for a short time yesterday, I'm afraid this will be a huge disaster. Maybe not sales-wise, of course. But the gameplay sucked so much that I was in shock. The game mostly played itself and when it did not, I felt like all the auto-aim and auto-direction was destroying all the effort I put into the controls.

Edit: Wii U version

Noooo, this is not good to hear =(

I should say that, from the two levels I got to play at Eurogamer, this is easily the most exciting Sonic release in fucking FOR-EVER.

Yes, including Generations.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks for the compliments, everyone. This is my first OT (not counting anniversary threads, collabs, or edits), so I didn't know how well it'd bowl over with everyone since I tend to prefer the cleaner/info-laden types of threads.

It functions like the Bonus Edition of ASRT: the first print is going to be the Deadly Six Bonus Edition. If you preorder the game at retail, you'll be guaranteed the Deadly Six Edition.

(Edit: Beaten)

Sky Road doesn't look much different from Windy Hill.
As the video for it in the OP illustrates, it seems to
take segments from some Zones and combine them while being stationed in the air

Mistle

I'm really excited for this, looks so good. Gonna have to juggle this and Wind Waker, while also having Rayman Legends to buy one day, and Pikmin 3 to 100%.

So good having a Wii U with a purpose now!

I really want this but I'm saving my money for A Link Between Worlds and Super Mario 3D World. I might get this for christmas or something instead though.

Camjo-Z

Not entirely sure on this one, I'm hoping the demo comes out on Thursday so I can give it a shot before I buy it.

Also for anyone concerned about missing out on the Deadly Six edition by not buying at launch, keep in mind that the Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Bonus Edition that was supposedly "first-print only" can still be easily obtained today.

Top Bottom