• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World |OT| Too X-treme for the Galaxy

if this gets an 8/10, or somehow anything lower, i am going to be so irate.
It's annoying because 8/10 isn't a bad score, but it's considered cheap and provides ammo in nerd arguments for people who parrot the Sonic Cycle and are like "Well the new games are okay but they're not MARIO good"

Despite bring a big Sonic fan I haven't bring follow this one closely. (A. K. A Yes bro, I'm still mad at the Wii U exclusivity) So I'll be very interested in this game gets 9s and or God Forbid a perfect score.

Pretty exciting
Why do you hate my money Sega :'(

It's annoying because 8/10 isn't a bad score, but it's considered cheap and provides ammo in nerd arguments for people who parrot the Sonic Cycle and are like "Well the new games are okay but they're not MARIO good"

Colors was like the first Sonic game in a decade to average 80-odd on Metacritic/Gamerankings right?

Edit: 78 for the Wii version.

And naturally I meant on consoles.

Dario ff

Banned
I was a bit bummed out by one of the speedrun videos of Windy Hill released before, but this video shows some more interesting stuff with the moveset if you take the higher routes.
Which should be the time trial route instead IMO.
The ability to double jump after spindashing reminds me of DKC.

Pre-ordered this yesterday for Wii U but I still have no idea if it's going to be good or not. Core gameplay looks really out there. Can't really think of anything to compare it to.

Ramune

Hope the streak of good Sonic games continues with this! And echoing hopes the Nights bosses aren't reskins, but I highly doubt that won't be the case.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm still pretty iffy on the game. It looks gorgeous, and I think the controls look fine, but the level design still seems like it might not grab me.

Good work on the OT Schala, although some of the images get unusually small on Mobile GAF.

Got both 3DS and Wii U versions of the game preordered, even though I don't have a Wii U yet.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm still pretty iffy on the game. It looks gorgeous, and I think the controls look fine, but the level design still seems like it might not grab me.

This is my concern. I really loved Sonic Colors and consider it the best Sonic game since the 16-bit titles. But what I liked about it was it was mostly 2D sections with careful use of 3D.

I'm worried the Galaxy-alike sections and tube sequences of this game will not be that fun in practice, compared to the 2D sections.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Funnily enough, spherical and tube-based geometry aside I feel like this seems more like Super Sonic 3D Land

This is my concern. I really loved Sonic Colors and consider it the best Sonic game since the 16-bit titles. But what I liked about it was it was mostly 2D sections with careful use of 3D.

I'm worried the Galaxy-alike sections and tube sequences of this game will not be that fun in practice, compared to the 2D sections.
The big thing I'm concerned about is explorability. The great part of Colors, IMO, was just how much meaningful exploration there was in the big levels. They were almost playgrounds. Most of the "secrets" in this game so far have seemed like ten second diversions.

Well... they aren't Mario good. They're not even 2D Sonic good.

But I might give this one a chance (WiiU). Will need to see some impressions first. Been sitting out the Sonic cycle since Heroes.

Fucking monster hunter is taking all my damn. Stopped playing GTA, haven't even touched GTA online, and I still gotta get pikmin, w101, and Zelda.

Thanks to the Wii u, I see no reason to get a ps4 until the end of 2014. So many dope ass games to get.

Neoxon

Well... they aren't Mario good. They're not even 2D Sonic good.

But I might give this one a chance (WiiU). Will need to see some impressions first. Been sitting out the Sonic cycle since Heroes.
You realize the Sonic Cycle has been broken for years thanks to Colors & Generations.

Zalman

In a few days, I will be playing this game. Very excited. Colors and Generations were great, and this seems to be at least as good as those.

TheOGB

Banned
I was a bit bummed out by one of the speedrun videos of Windy Hill released before, but this video shows some more interesting stuff with the moveset if you take the higher routes.
Much better than GamesRadar's run.

5 years ago Dimps were the top of the food chain, now after Sonic 4 they are now considered shit.

People seem to forget Colors DS exists and is essentially Rush 3, Rush was critically acclaimed (at least be the press, I recall the 90 from IGN).

I would like for Dimps to conceptualize their own 3D Sonic, Lost World 3DS is their first, but it's a companion to the Sonic Team-created game, not Dimps' from the ground-up

Unless the Wii U version is a Wii U companion to Dimps own 3DS Sonic game, DUN DUN DUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rlan

5 years ago Dimps were the top of the food chain, now after Sonic 4 they are now considered shit.

People seem to forget Colors DS exists and is essentially Rush 3, Rush was critically acclaimed (at least be the press, I recall the 90 from IGN).

I would like for Dimps to conceptualize their own 3D Sonic, Lost World 3DS is their first, but it's a companion to the Sonic Team-created game, not Dimps' from the ground-up

Pretty much. Would prefer more new Sonic 3DS titles than something with baggage. I get the feeling Sega's been getting cheaper about it, and this allows for some development crossover with art.

Generations 3DS was pretty ass though, and 3DS Lost World seems to be pretty weird on it's own too. Played it at PAX AUS, and the "I'm loading, Sonic's floating" splitters between planetoids was so annoying.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Hey that was pretty cool.

Interesting that they purposefully avoided most of the speed boosters along the way. Wonder why that is.

TreIII

Counter-intuitively, though, having the slower Sonic as an option makes moving through levels a much more fluid and quick-seeming experience. Platforming in 3D has been a problem for the Hedgehog since Sonic Adventures, but it looks to be solved here. I had no problem sprinting towards a ledge, only to slow down a bit to make some more precise jumps – something that would have been near impossible and very not fun in previous Sonic games. The grand result is a fluid, precise 3D Sonic game that has finally managed to bring what made him great into the modern era. This is what Sonic has always been about: momentum, not reckless speed. Lost World seems to be a true return to the Sonic roots by way of an overhaul of the way he works.

This is the kind of stuff that I'm hoping will be proven true as more people get to play the game.

Momentum-based Sonic is Best Sonic, imo, so the fact that this game seems to veer towards that, as opposed to the Rush-style is definitely music to hears.

From one Lost World to another...

ireallyhateeggman_eiuno.gif

Hey that was pretty cool.

Interesting that they purposefully avoided most of the speed boosters along the way. Wonder why that is.
Probably faster without them. In every booster you stop for at least a second.

I paid my Wii U version weeks ago, now I'm waiting to dispatch this week. Hope they send early.

Gonna grab the Wii U version on Friday Saturday actually, I guess? Really looking forward to it.

Will more than likely get the 3DS version at some point too, just not in as much of a rush (heh) for it.

It wasn't just Sonic 4 that soured people on Dimps, the second and third Advance games are generally looked upon less favourably by fans too.

Colours DS was "Rush 3" in terms of the core gameplay, but it was short and boring and just generally not nearly as good as either of the games that came before it. Mediocrity in red and white joggers. Generations 3DS was a rushed mess, but that's probably down to time/budget restraints as much as anything.

Also Dimps did the inferior SD version of Unleashed so this isn't their first 3D Sonic.

IrishNinja

shouldn't we be seeing reviews soon? i keep meaning to see if there's an impressions thread around here for the JP demo yet

Ark

Really want to get this on 3DS, but I'd really prefer to try the demo before putting any money down. That's if the demo is even going to come to the EU.

Nosgoroth

This still looks excellent.

But.

Four days away and I only have two gym badges. And then in 11 days we get Ace Attorney 5. And I'm not even halfway through WWHD. Argh. Thankfully November is a slow month for me before the 22nd, so I might get it then.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
You can get the Deadly Six bonus level and some extra bombs through Club Nintendo if you download the digital version.

Sonic Lost World (SEGA) Wii U (Disc/Download) €49.99 (£39.99)

Game Description: Rise Against the Deadly Six. In his latest plot to defeat Sonic and rule the world, Dr. Eggman has harnessed the power of six menacing creatures known as the Deadly Six. However, when the Deadly Six rise up against their new master, Sonic must unite with his arch nemesis Eggman and explore the mystical Lost Hex in order to take them on head-to-head. Use Sonic’s new moves & Colour Powers to speed across a variety of unique terrains, racing inside, outside and upside down in every level.

Wii U Only:
You can also receive download codes for the additional level available in the Deadly Six Edition and five Black Bomb colour powers if you purchase Sonic Lost World from Nintendo eShop on your Wii U between 00:01 (UK time) on October 18th and 23:59 (UK time) on October 26th. Before purchasing you must first register your Wii U console with your Club Nintendo account**, then log in to Club Nintendo after purchasing and check the banners to claim and redeem your free download codes on or before 31st December 2013. You can find out how to register Wii U in Club Nintendo.

Top Bottom