• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World |OT| Too X-treme for the Galaxy

daman824

Dude it's Sonic Team. A good game is outside the norm for them. A 6-7/10 game is their average.
All that I'm saying is that we should be expecting great games from them at this point. How long is it going to be before a Sonic game comes out that rivals the quality of his major competitors?

Peff

... what the fuck at the final level? Is that supposed to be some kind of meta-joke? Not sure how to feel about it, lol.

That said, it turns out the final world is actually pretty cool. I stopped for a while, came back to the level that was giving me trouble and beat it with the five Red Rings in one go, it felt exhilarating. The rest of the game was cake, and it was neat to see sections that actually demanded some parkour expertise. But yeat, what they did at the end was super dumb.

I'm happy with the game overall, anyhow. I'd say it peaks at around World 3, which is both varied and well-paced and then goes on a bit of a lull at around World 5-ish, but picks up again shortly thereafter. The cylindrical stages are unfortunately not used to their full potential (
there are only 5 IIRC with one of them recycled
) and parkour doesn't factor into the level design that much until the end of the game, so it would be great to see a sequel iterate on this formula further. Length-wise it's probably the longest of the modern "Sonic-only" games, but you do complete pretty much 90% of the content in order to reach the credits. It's not all bad, though, because the levels are for the most part more consistently good than what used to be optional acts, there's nothing like Vector's notes here (although the not-rocket-barrel comes close). It does start slow, but later on red ring placement can be quite fiendish, which makes otherwise barebone-ish stages more exciting. As for the bosses, yeah, they're little more than a small diversion, and I get that they have to be given that
half of the stages end with boss battles
, but they're over so quickly they feel more like busywork. All in all, it's a solid addition to the series that will hopefully spawn an awesome sequel

Oh, and not that anyone should care, but the story does in fact take a serious turn this time around. Fortunately, there are no time-travelling hedgehogs, zoophilic princesses or resurrected ancient spirits of evil to be found here.

Someone uploaded a walkthrough of the NiGHTS level. Watch all of its 5 minutes and weep.

Final world can certainly be annoying. The one before it
had a lot of recycling but at least the level design was enjoyable
. Bit of a hit or miss attempt at lengthening the game, but at least it's no werehog.

Wow, they put a lot of work into 5 minutes of gameplay. Tons of little details, some you barely get half-a-second to see.

Gotta say that from what I've seen of the game as a whole, they reuse the Windy Hill environment way too much.

Pietepiet

Alright, I've played through Windy Hill on Wii U and played a couple of Windy Hill stages on 3DS. Some impressions:

Wii U

- Very pretty! It's not as good looking as Generations, but the 60 FPS helps a LOT and it's just very bright and colourful. Love it.
- The music is nice so far. Again, not as good as Generations, but it's pleasing and there's some good tunes.
- The game doesn't seem to force me to use parkour much yet. I wish they'd do more with that in terms of level design. The game seems to focus more on the slowest speed for platforming rather than parkour. I hope this will come later, because when you do get a bit of parkour it feels quite nice.
- Once you get the hang of the Spindash, you can go at a good speed if you're used to how fast Generations was. Not nearly as fast, but it makes the game feel a lot better IMO.

3DS

- MUCH faster. Sonic runs at a proper speed, and once you Spindash it goes really damn fast. This makes the 2D stages feel almost like Rush, which I quite like.
- Longer stages than the Wii U version.
- The stages focus way more on Sonic's parkour abilities and the tube-design than the Wii U version does. Some of the tube stages can be a tad boring in design sometimes, but overall it's fun!
- Because of Sonic's speed, he's a bit more slippery than in the Wii U version. Makes him a little harder to control, but it's not Heroes-bad.
- The graphics aren't all that. Everything is lit very weird and boring, making the colours a little dull compared to the ridiculously bright and colourful Wii U version. A shame, because the 3DS can do incredibly nice and colourful, almost PS2/Wii quality stuff (Super Mario 3D Land, Kingdom Hearts 3D, etc).
- You seem to collect Materials after every level, probably based on your rank. These can be brought to Tails' workshop to create RC Vehicles (to help you out I think?). These RC Vehicles can also be transferred to the Wii U version. There seem to be a few Omochao based ones that are still locked with a silhouette. Can't wait to unlock those, haha!
- Like Sonic Generations 3DS, this version has Streetpass Missions. Doesn't seem like you can unlock those with Play Coins like Generations 3DS though.

Overall
- Great voice acting. I'm loving the new cast more with each game, and Knuckles in particular is really good.
- Lots of little throwbacks to old Sonic stuff for the fans.
The Tornado going through the actual, er, tornado before reaching the Lost Hex was very reminiscent of Sonic OVA's crash scene
and
Robotnik's robot manufacturing, placing bunnies into Motobugs on a conveyor belt was a nice reference to the story of the first Sonic the Hedgehog

So, in short: both versions have things going for them, and I'm enjoying them both. Still cautiously optimistic because of what others have said about the Wii U version especially, but also because handheld Sonic has not had a great track record lately.

So far so good!

addyb

Still on the fence whether to get this tomorrow. It looks great but looks and plays great can be totally different. I actually havent played a sonic game since rush on the DS.

Hm. I have to wonder if making a reviews thread is now necessary. I'll contemplate it, but I'm fairly certain that I'll make one given the mood and nature of discourse in the thread. That way, the game discussion won't be bogged down with reviews analysis and console war politics when the embargo ends.

Also methinks EatChildren's out for blood, sooooooo... I'll probably make one tonight. >.>
Can you still placate him by posting pictures of hot women cosplaying as Friendship is Magic characters?

I am now starting Sonic and the Black Knight, despite hearing everything I have about it.

Apparently it's only a couple of hours long, so I can probably fly through it by the end of the night.

I also love really terrible games, so I am excited in my own weird fucked up way.

Lijik

I also love really terrible games, so I am excited in my own weird fucked up way.

Its not even exciting in that way, the game is just boring
hold foward, waggle waggle waggle, hold forward

the best part is when you unlock knuckles because his glide lets you skip through huge portions of of the stages quicky

Anyone else getting Error Code 115-5110 every time they finish a stage? Is it because the game isn't officially out till tomorrow? Is it perhaps trying to upload a high score or something?

sammex

Anyone else getting Error Code 115-5110 every time they finish a stage? Is it because the game isn't officially out till tomorrow? Is it perhaps trying to upload a high score or something?

I'm getting the same - I think it's because there isn't a miiverse community up yet.

Pietepiet

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention about the 3DS version: the Special Stages are probably the worst the series has seen in a long time. It uses the gyroscope on the 3DS, so make sure you're sitting in a swivel chair...

Fandangox

the best part is when you unlock knuckles because his glide lets you skip through huge portions of of the stages quicky

Knuckles is playable?

If so is it like in older games? i.e they play the same with just some slight different abilities that allow to take different paths or is it like in adventure where his stages are just completely different?

Edit: oh its sonic blackknight, nevermind.

branny

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention about the 3DS version: the Special Stages are probably the worst the series has seen in a long time. It uses the gyroscope on the 3DS, so make sure you're sitting in a swivel chair...
asdkjfhas;kas

Screw these hot messes.

e_i

Still on the fence whether to get this tomorrow. It looks great but looks and plays great can be totally different. I actually havent played a sonic game since rush on the DS.

Tomorrow? Digital version coming early?

Edit: Oh. tomorrow in Europe. Damnit!

That's great to hear because Colors is my favorite 3D Sonic game.

In all fairness, Colors' final boss was pretty great.

Indeed, even if it was a bit easy, there was still enough charm and set-up for it to be enjoyable.
..My main beef with the Lost World final boss is that it contains none of that.

Knuckles was the best character of the whole game, Period.

If you mean the wii u version, i would strongly advise waiting until you have tried it out.
Maybe rent it first, or try a demo if they ever get round to one.After trying out the first 3 worlds with my friend i really don't like it.
The graphics and art are great, so are all the classic enemies. But the gameplay just isn't for me at all. I thought sonic colors showed so much promise but unless the next few worlds are much better then i think colors is a far better game. The game is going back tomorrow so i'll find out from gaf if it does improve, but for me it's a big disappointment. Thankfully i have the gorgeous wind waker hd to tide me over until mario. Looking forward to the reviews though, i really don't know what to expect.

qq more

...DIMPS! Special Stages were the one thing you were consistently good at!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks for the impressions, everyone.

...DIMPS! Special Stages were the one thing you were consistently good at!
I was just going to say that! Dimps was kind of decent at special stages, so I was kind of looking forward to the Blue Sphere special stages. Hearing that they're entirely gyro-controlled is disappointing, but who knows, they might be like the level of gyro in other games like LM2/Dream Team or something. You know, lay the 3DS down on a flat surface and move accordingly?

Some people like (or are used to) using such words, that doesn't mean they're disrespecting or offending a poster. They're of regular use on the site.
Oh, no, it wasn't because of the swearing. I do that too, but based on the previous post, the tone of the quoted post was probably more negative than it probably originally read.

Can you still placate him by posting pictures of hot women cosplaying as Friendship is Magic characters?
His name's EatChildren.

Colours and Generations have your name on it if you enjoy some aspects of Lost World should you play it.

qq more

I was just going to say that! Dimps was kind of decent at special stages, so I was kind of looking forward to the Blue Sphere special stages. Hearing that they're entirely gyro-controlled is disappointing, but who knows, they might be like the level of gyro in other games like LM2/Dream Team or something. You know, lay the 3DS down on a flat surface and move accordingly?[

I haven't played either game but I really don't want to lay the 3DS down on a flat surface just to play it at times. Sounds kind of tedious especially when my playing habit on handhelds is laying down while holding the 3DS up.

Peff

It is, actually, but I think only for co-op. The GamePad setup already allows you to use most Wisps with buttons, only Eagle and the black hole thing require the gyro.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I haven't played either game but I really don't want to lay the 3DS down on a flat surface just to play it at times. Sounds kind of tedious especially when my playing habit on handhelds is laying down while holding the 3DS up.
Well, you don't necessarily have to lay it on a flat surface, but instead hold it with the screens facing up while trying to keep it still. That's what I did when I did the tightrope stuff in LM2 while sitting up in bed and stuff. Ehhh, we'll see how sensitive the gyro stuff is later on.

I will say that Pietepiet kind of made me a little more interested in the 3DS version.

Pietepiet

It's not nearly as good as Super Mario 3D Land, but then again, that kind of set a high standard for 3D platformers on the system.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not in this thread.
bSVr5cd.gif

As stupid as it sounds, I feel like I enjoyed Colours a little more because I was able to use the GameCube controller. I like that controller a lot; it's one of my favourites. Too bad it doesn't sound like we can use the CCPro by default?

It's not nearly as good as Super Mario 3D Land, but then again, that kind of set a high standard for 3D platformers on the system.
Is it better than Generations 3DS? Might be an unfair comparison given that Gens 3DS was made in like 6 months, but I guess I should ask.

Pietepiet

Is it better than Generations 3DS? Might be an unfair comparison given that Gens 3DS was made in like 6 months, but I guess I should ask.

Yeah, I feel like it is. Then again, Generations 3DS started out pretty good, so maybe this'll get worse down the line? Who knows! I'll try to post more impressions, but I'm leaving for a weeklong trip to Nottingham tomorrow so I don't know if I have the time, haha

Ein Bear

Just played through the first world...

Eh, I dunno. It just all feels kind of clunky. Sonic moves stiffly, and never really builds up much speed, whilst everything involving the GamePad is absolutely awful. Have just tried to play with the Classic Controller instead, but that was a no-go, unfortunately.

Will stick with it and see if it clicks, but at the moment I'm quite disappointed after how great Unleashed/Colours/Generations were. Not sure why they moved away from that gameplay style when it was working so well.

addyb

If you mean the wii u version, i would strongly advise waiting until you have tried it out.
Maybe rent it first, or try a demo if they ever get round to one.After trying out the first 3 worlds with my friend i really don't like it.
The graphics and art are great, so are all the classic enemies. But the gameplay just isn't for me at all. I thought sonic colors showed so much promise but unless the next few worlds are much better then i think colors is a far better game. The game is going back tomorrow so i'll find out from gaf if it does improve, but for me it's a big disappointment. Thankfully i have the gorgeous wind waker hd to tide me over until mario. Looking forward to the reviews though, i really don't know what to expect.

Thanks for the info. Maybe if it gets ok ish reviews I will wait til its sub £20. Im still on with gta v and with batman origins coming next week im in no immediate rush to play this.

After watching some of the footage, and reading some of the impressions, I can tell I'm going to mostly love this game.

I may just be one of the few who appreciates Sonic being experimental, and liking a lot of the approaches he's been taken in (Colors, Generations, Adventure, Heroes, etc.). The bosses and ending may be not as good, but I'll wait to see how they play out for me.
Lost Word looks beautiful, intense, and very replayable, which is mainly what counts for me. If the new styles and abilities work out for me, even better.

Pre-order intact for both versions.

I'd pay full price for a game with only 8 quality made, large, 3D stages. Do that next time. Make it replayable without shoving in all that shitty filler.

Hell, pull a New Luigi U and do this now and realease it for 40 bucks. I'm all over it.

TheOGB

Banned
3DS

- MUCH faster. Sonic runs at a proper speed, and once you Spindash it goes really damn fast. This makes the 2D stages feel almost like Rush, which I quite like.
- Longer stages than the Wii U version.
- The stages focus way more on Sonic's parkour abilities and the tube-design than the Wii U version does. Some of the tube stages can be a tad boring in design sometimes, but overall it's fun!
- Because of Sonic's speed, he's a bit more slippery than in the Wii U version. Makes him a little harder to control, but it's not Heroes-bad.
- The graphics aren't all that. Everything is lit very weird and boring, making the colours a little dull compared to the ridiculously bright and colourful Wii U version. A shame, because the 3DS can do incredibly nice and colourful, almost PS2/Wii quality stuff (Super Mario 3D Land, Kingdom Hearts 3D, etc).
- You seem to collect Materials after every level, probably based on your rank. These can be brought to Tails' workshop to create RC Vehicles (to help you out I think?). These RC Vehicles can also be transferred to the Wii U version. There seem to be a few Omochao based ones that are still locked with a silhouette. Can't wait to unlock those, haha!
- Like Sonic Generations 3DS, this version has Streetpass Missions. Doesn't seem like you can unlock those with Play Coins like Generations 3DS though.
Interest piqued

Resume hype

Camjo-Z

Thanks for the impressions, Pietepiet. I never had a problem with Sonic games going fast and longer stages are always a good thing so it sounds like the 3DS version might be more my speed.

Here's to hoping this eventually gets ported. Look really good.

I'm sure it'll get ported... right after Mario & Sonic at the 2014 Olympics!

I think the reason Generations left a much more sour taste in my mouth than any other Sonic game, mostly when talking about length, was that it was marketed as being the ultimate celebration of the series but it barely ended up being that. It gives you the illusion that it's going to be some amazing voyage through Sonic's past and with the writing team behind Colors there was some real potential to be had.

In the end that never happens. The game is short as hell and it seems like they never really attempted at making things look connected. It doesn't even really have a story. The only real standout moments that the game offers is the Chemical Plant cutscene, the one where the two Sonics are in that limbo-esque world and the pre-final boss cutscene. Even all of those feel like they could have had a lot more weight to them. The most annoying games with stories in my opinion are those that have the potential to have them and somewhat touch on the ideas but never do anything with them, and that's Generations in a nutshell.

The ending in particular is ridiculous. The game has a final boss... and then suddenly things are back to normal as if they never happened. It's like the entire story is a long drawn out joke with the punchline being Sonic's Chili Dog.

That white hub felt like an accurate representation of the game as a whole. It was a bunch of decent-to-good levels thrown together without much thought to tie things together.

I hope Lost World can at least be better than that, even if it screws up it's endgame. I want some consistency and weight in my games, dammit.

Damn lol. Usually when I play a Sonic game I just want that shit to be fun, playable, and replayable.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm near gamestop right now, I guess there's zero chance they'd sell it to me the noght before right? Never usually get games at launch.
If you're in the US, they more than likely won't sell it to you since it's not out until the 29th in NA.

If you're in the UK, you... could always try? Maybe they might be nice. >.>

Top Bottom