• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 2007

spwolf

Segata Sanshiro said:
Coming from someone who makes 100% shit posts, I'll take that as a compliment.

My postcount usually gets inflated from arguing with dunderheads for multiple pages. Unlike my friend ethelred, I actually think I might rattle some sense into people's brains. Of late, I've been starting to see what a foolish venture that is.

so segata where are we going to be drinking beer next week? fair is fair.

Firewire

Banned
So GT5P is releasing this month in Japan? Does anyone have a specific date, I would be interested in seeing both software & hardware numbers for its launch.

Raist

Banned
Firewire said:
So GT5P is releasing this month in Japan? Does anyone have a specific date, I would be interested in seeing both software & hardware numbers for its launch.

16th IIRC

spwolf said:
so segata where are we going to be drinking beer next week? fair is fair.
spwolf, the very next time I do a tour of Europe, you and I will most certainly have beers. Until I do though, it's just a bit too far of a commute to the local watering hole for either of us.

Moor-Angol said:
ehm... according to Famitsu numbers it's over 100k, according to M-C numbers it's over 130k, so why it's listed at 88k ?
I don't think donny or I follow the updates at that one Japanese site closely like you do, so that 88K is the total from the last time it was on the Top 30.
sakuragi said:
You read my mind. Good thing publishers aren't fanboys of any console. They love money and when it comes to sales of conventional third party games, the PS2 is still king.
It's especially king when it comes to sales of conventional third party PS2 games.

By the way, can anyone here try to accurately translate these following bits from sinobi blog about No More Heroes ? I think I have a vague idea of what he is talking about but I'm far from being sure of my interpretation... Here are the bits in question :

Wiiは2本。
既に多数の予約をいただいている
グラスホッパーの新作「NO MORE HEROES」と
ジジィゲーマー向けの「マリオパーティ」とでも言うべき
「みんなで遊ぼう!ナムコカーニバル」。

[...]

goo版のコメント欄に指摘があり、
「NO MORE HEROES」の初回特典は受注苦戦につき
全数装着へと変更になったとのこと。
確認が取れていないのだが、ソースが某氏なので
確定事項と信じて修正しておいた。指摘感謝。

[edit] And yes, there are indeed some analysis and informations about the other games released this week in the same article. I certainly wouldn't mind if someone translate these too...

jesusraz

There's a lot of new info on there actually, including something about Tales of Innocence (only 150,000 units in the initial shipment - Bandai Namco being cautious, or is Google Translate confusing me?) and MySims DS faring better than the Wii game (not hard when the Wii version débuted at No.30 and then promptly disappeared).

Would be good if someone with Japanese knowledge could translate the highlights properly, please... :)

ethelred

jesusraz said:
There's a lot of new info on there actually, including something about Tales of Innocence (only 150,000 units in the initial shipment - Bandai Namco being cautious, or is Google Translate confusing me?) and MySims DS faring better than the Wii game (not hard when the Wii version débuted at No.30 and then promptly disappeared).

Would be good if someone with Japanese knowledge could translate the highlights properly, please... :)

He's saying "Holy shit, people really didn't like Tempest."

avaya

All Wii expectations have to be tempered by the fact that one Wii is enough for a household. All Wii predictions should be tempered by that fact.

Handhelds should sell more because 1 per household doesn’t apply, it’s more like one per person.

Consistently selling DS like numbers would not be a rational expectation. It can be just as "popular" ( a loose term in this context) as DS without selling the same number of units.

avaya said:
All Wii expectations have to be tempered by the fact that one Wii is enough for a household. All Wii predictions should be tempered by that fact.

Handhelds should sell more because 1 per household doesn’t apply, it’s more like one per person.

Consistently selling DS like numbers would not be a rational expectation. It can be just as "popular" ( a loose term in this context) as DS without selling the same number of units.

I think most people already knew this. The problem insofar that the Wii is concerned is that a lot of games are performing... well, below expectations, to put it mildly.

iidesuyo

avaya said:

Most people are comparing Wii to PS2 I think.

Pureauthor said:
I think most people already knew this. The problem insofar that the Wii is concerned is that a lot of games are performing... well, below expectations, to put it mildly.
A lot of people thought that buying a Wii meant that customers would become Nintendo fans or even Gamers in the traditional sense.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wonderdave said:
A lot of people thought that buying a Wii meant that customers would become Nintendo fans or even Gamers in the traditional sense.

And a lot of people thought that Nintendo was going to abandon the traditional gamer and serve at the casuals will.

Neither has happened thus far. Only time will tell, I suppose.

Stormbringer said:
By the way, can anyone here try to accurately translate these following bits from sinobi blog about No More Heroes ?
Wiiは2本。
既に多数の予約をいただいている
「みんなで遊ぼう!ナムコカーニバル」。

As for Wii 2. Already, new work "NO of the grasshopper which has received many reservation MORE HEROES" and even "マリオパーティ" for ジジィゲーマー it should call, you probably will play "with everyone! ナムコカーニバル "

Stormbringer said:
goo版のコメント欄に指摘があり、
全数装着へと変更になったとのこと。
確認が取れていないのだが、ソースが某氏なので
確定事項と信じて修正しておいた。指摘感謝。
There is indication in the comment field of goo edition, the first benefit "of NO MORE HEROES" is that to all the several installing it became modification, concerning incoming order bitter fight. Verification has not taken, but it meaning that the source is anonymous person, decision item believing, it corrected. Indication appreciation.

Now it's very clear what it meas :lol

(powered by babelfish.altavista.com)

Stormbringer said:
By the way, can anyone here try to accurately translate these following bits from sinobi blog about No More Heroes ? I think I have a vague idea of what he is talking about but I'm far from being sure of my interpretation... Here are the bits in question :

Wiiは2本。
既に多数の予約をいただいている
「みんなで遊ぼう!ナムコカーニバル」。

[...]

goo版のコメント欄に指摘があり、
全数装着へと変更になったとのこと。
確認が取れていないのだが、ソースが某氏なので
確定事項と信じて修正しておいた。指摘感謝。

[edit] And yes, there are indeed some analysis and informations about the other games released this week in the same article. I certainly wouldn't mind if someone translate these too...

Wii is two.
I have already gotten a lot of reservations.
With new work "NO MORE HEROES" of the grasshopper
It should be said, "Mario party" for Gejigamar. 「Let's play all.
Namco carnival」。

There is a point in the comment column of the goo version.
I hear that the privilege first time of "NO MORE HEROES" changed to
numerical all installation about the order fighting hard.
It was believed a final matter because the source was a certain
person and corrected it though the confirmation was not taken.
Pointed out thanks.

No good translation.. it seems to say something about NMH being popular and that a ticketing system is required for this game, instead of first come first serve policy...

Jiggy

avaya said:
And going by the pictures we saw when the DS Lite was released, it's more like two per person over in Japan for at least some portion of the population. All those people lined up for a hardware revision passing the time with their DS Bricks... Awesome stuff.

Not that I didn't buy both versions of the DS myself, mind you. :D

Moor-Angol said:
*Nonsense*

Thanks a lot, but I could have done this myself :lol.

Oh, well, I guess I will have to take a shot at translating that myself. But you better not complain if this not completely accurate.

Wii has 2 [new softwares this week].
Grasshopper's "No More Heroes", which already received numerous reservations, and a Mario Party clone "Namco Carnival".

[...]

As mentioned in the comments section of the GOO website, blahblah blah blah "No more Heroes" blah blah blah blahblah. There has been no definitive confirmation of this yet, but the source of this information appears to be a trustful person. I would like to thank him for pointing this info out.

[edit] Yes, finally, an comprehensible translation ! Many thanks flipping_heck.

flipping_heck said:
No good translation.. it seems to say something about NMH being popular and that a ticketing system is required for this game, instead of first come first serve policy...

Indeed, this makes a lot more sense now. And I notice that this translation makes an awful lot of sense for an automatic translation... I would like to know...What did you use exactly ?
Anyway, good to see NMH doing relatively well. We'll see if these hints of popularity translate in the following week chart.

Vinnk

Sorry guys. I caught a cold and didn't get the report posted yesterday. I'm finishing writing it right now. expect it in about an hour or so.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Vinnk said:
Sorry guys. I caught a cold and didn't get the report posted yesterday. I'm finishing writing it right now. expect it in about an hour or so.

The one thing I want to know is if you are able to tell who is buying what. I mean, we know the DS and Wii has a fairly universal appeal, and by universal I mean non-hardcore. Is it possible to tell who is going after Wii-fit, and if there is a hardcore audience (males 16-32) for that product? Can you tell which stores are more likely to feature prominent advertisements for a Wii product vs. a PSP product? What else do those same stores sell and what are the range of people that one would expect to see in them?

Also, CONGRATS VINNK!

Vinnk

PantherLotus said:
The one thing I want to know is if you are able to tell who is buying what. I mean, we know the DS and Wii has a fairly universal appeal, and by universal I mean non-hardcore. Is it possible to tell who is going after Wii-fit, and if there is a hardcore audience (males 16-32) for that product? Can you tell which stores are more likely to feature prominent advertisements for a Wii product vs. a PSP product? What else do those same stores sell and what are the range of people that one would expect to see in them?

Also, CONGRATS VINNK!

Sure, I can put that stuff into next weeks report. And yeah, there really is a breakdown. The people who buy at game store are buying very different stuff from those who buy at department stores. When I visited stores for this week's report, WiiFit wasn't out yet, but I can check on that for next week.

Great questions. I'll try to get you some good answers.

Takuhi

Stormbringer said:
:

Wiiは2本。
既に多数の予約をいただいている
「みんなで遊ぼう!ナムコカーニバル」。

[...]

goo版のコメント欄に指摘があり、
全数装着へと変更になったとのこと。
確認が取れていないのだが、ソースが某氏なので
確定事項と信じて修正しておいた。指摘感謝。

As stormbringer said, in the first he notes that NO MORE HEROES has already had a lot of retail preorders.

In the second, apparently there's some limited edition (or preorder bonus) for NO MORE HEROES that was so limited that people were having a hard time reserving it, so they went ahead and changed it so that the entire first printing will be the special edition (or have the preorder bonus). He can't confirm it, but he heard it from a source that he trusts.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Takuhi said:
As stormbringer said, in the first he notes that NO MORE HEROES has already had a lot of retail preorders.

In the second, apparently there's some limited edition (or preorder bonus) for NO MORE HEROES that was so limited that people were having a hard time reserving it, so they went ahead and changed it so that the entire first printing will be the special edition (or have the preorder bonus). He can't confirm it, but he heard it from a source that he trusts.

Anyone know how Killer 7 did in Japan? I remember people saying it did poorly, but anyone know how bad?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ComputerNerd said:
From what I recall, horrendous. Zack and Wiki numbers. Probably worse.

So it won't take much to be an improvement.

toypop

Takuhi said:

It's not "retail preorders" but he says there's a certain numbers of pre-orders via his amazon affiliate links.

2005587482961986648_rs.jpg

Second part is about pre-order bonus, at first there were limited amounts of first shipments will have this goods, but since there are not sufficient pre-orders coming from shops, MMV(Marvelous Entertainment) decided to attach this shitty key ring to entire copies of first shipments and expecting more shop pre-orders.

Vinnk

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

"Vinnk's Village" Anecdotal Report

Sorry this report is late. I got sick. But it is extra long and possibly very interesting. But I’ll let you decide.

I was asked to look for Wii, PS3, Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles and Dragon Quest IV. I visited the stores on Thursday, November 29th, 2007.

Jusco
Wii: 3
PS3: 9
B:UC: Sold Out
Dragon Quest IV: 4

Youme Town
Wii: 1
PS3: 11
B:UC: Sold out
Dragon Quest IV: 3

Mr. Max
Wii: Sold out
PS3: Sold out
Dragon Quest IV: Sold out

Book-Net
Wii: 4
PS3: 6
Dragon Quest IV: 4

Goody
Wii: Sold out
PS3: 4
Dragon Quest IV: Sold out

Best Denki
Wii: 3
PS3: 12
Dragon Quest IV: 8

Wanpaku
Wii: 2
PS3: 9
Dragon Quest IV: 5

Famicom Dojo
Wii: 1
PS3: 3
Dragon Quest IV: Sold Out

Yamada Denki
Wii: 6
PS3: 17
Dragon Quest IV: 11

TOTALS:
Wii: 20 (Last week 18)
PS3: 71 (Last week 75)
B:UC: 0 (last week 5)
Dragon Quest IV: 36

NOTES:

1. The Wii numbers haven’t changed significantly, but 2 stores I talked to told me they are getting a lot more shipped to them recently. Since there are similar numbers “in shop” I would say that sales are increasing. But it's still easy to find.

2. There are TONS of used PSP and DS systems. I have never seen so many used systems available. In some store they are more numerous than the new systems. The old-model PSP systems are selling cheap (about $75-$85) because they have so many of them. Seems a lot of people “traded-up” The same thing happened with the DS when the lite model came out.

3. PS3 is in stock everywhere and in large numbers. As I said last week, it is being pushed by stores much harder than the Wii and being given prime floor space. However it should be noted that I did this report 3 days before the launch of WiiFit.

4. There is a glut of used Xbox 360 systems again. Seems people have finished Ace Combat. But I expect those systems to be snapped up for the release of Lost Odyssey. Retailers must agree with me because the selling price is not as low as used 360s usually go for.

5. A few stores put brochures for Wii fit out near the systems and 2 stores have posters up, but other than that there is almost nothing in store for the launch of this game. Perhaps they are going to try to build buzz in the big cities and then let it spread around. I’ll report more on this game next week.

6. There are still copies of Dragon Quest IV to be found, but last week stores were drowning in copies, now there is just an average amount. Seems they are selling quite well. When I saw how many were out last week I was worried that Square-Enix over shipped.

7. This week the local Otaku are nuts for Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (mostly the PS2 version) and they are getting hyped for No More Heroes. It seems that the title has otaku “street cred”.

8. Biohazard: Umbrella Chronicles is sold out in every store in my town. Not a single copy, new or used is for sale. I was waiting on this game until I found a Zapper pack but this week I decided to go for the game only version. Seems I waited too long. I can’t find a copy for myself anywhere and Hiro (at Famicom Dojo) says he doesn't even know when it will be available for him to order again.

9. Despite hearing reports that the PS3 version of Winning 11 was sold out due to being under-shipped, I was able to find the game in stock at every store that carries PS3 games. I am not sure about Tokyo or Osaka but here there is more than enough to go around.

Special: Last week you guys wanted to know about why Super Mario Galaxy wasn’t selling and how bad the PSP piracy thing is in Japan. Here’s what I found:

Super Mario Galaxy:

The gamers I talked to that bought Super Mario Galaxy simply adore it. But the thing is a lot of them never picked it up in the first place. A lot of the Otaku gamers I talked to were turned off by the ads for it that made it look like a casual title. They were worried that that game was too simple.

So then I talked to a lot of my friends and co-workers who were not gamers. Only about half of them knew Super Mario Galaxy was the new Mario game. A few of them went “Oh, I have that!” and went on to describe Mario Party 8. Seems a lot of the casuals were not even aware the Mario Galaxy and Mario Party were different games. Of the ones that did know what it was, again very few picked it up. They said it looked really difficult and disorienting. They say they love Mario, but not that type of game.

It was actually a bit frustrating. The Otaku say it looks too simple and the casuals say it looks too hard. The ad campaign seems to have distanced the game from both camps. The only people who seem to truly “get it” is my elementary school students. They ALL know about the game and most of them really want to play it. But they don’t have money to buy games. If they still want it by the time they get their New Years money, the game might still do some nice sales. But by that time it might be too late.

PSP Piracy

Until I started looking into it, I never knew the problem was this big. I saw 4 high school boys playing PSP in the park by my house and started talking to them. Of the 4 kids there, only one of them had a legal game with him. The others were all playing pirated software. I asked where they got the copied games and they told me a few sites. I asked where they found out about how to get free games and they told me they read it in a book.

The local bookstores in my town all have multiple books on PSP (and DS) “hacking” (word being used loosely). These books have step-by-step guides and provide web links. They are not photocopied manifestos being sold at shady game stores. They are brightly colored, high production books and magazines and you can find them at ANY bookshop. Even in my tiny city I was able to find them very easily. One PC magazine had a full page ad on the back cover for the R4. It didn’t say what it did or even use the word DS in the ad, just a picture of the card itself. In other words, their target consumer already knows what it is and what it does.

Next I went to talk to some shop owners. They say it very common for someone to buy a PSP without buying a game for it at the same time. However it is very rare for someone to buy a DS, PS2, Wii, 360 etc. without a game. Some stores, when they see a customer buying a system without games, will ask if they want to buy a Memory Stick. There is a fairy good profit on memory sticks.

Now it should be noted that this is only information that I have gathered from a few people at a few game stores. I cannot say if this is a nationwide trend or if it is just my town. What I do know is there is a thriving business for piracy and I can’t imagine that I am the only one noticing.

Previous Reports:

November 22nd, 2007
November 15th, 2007
October 15th, 2007
September 6th, 2007
August 30th, 2007
August 11th,2007
July 26th, 2007
July 19th, 2007
July 12th, 2007
July 5th, 2007
June 28th, 2007
June 21st, 2007
June 14th, 2007
June 7th, 2007
May 30th, 2007
May 24th, 2007
May 17th, 2007
May 10th, 2007

Vinnk

papelnabangka said:
The "otakus" should be ashamed of themselves. They are supposed to know better.

No kidding. I always thought it was weird how that game was never that far up on the "Famitsu most wanted". I guess this game doesn’t have enough giant robots, androgynous men or fan service. These are the same gamers that made Gundam:Crossfire the biggest launch title for PS3..

Innotech

Banned
it definitely seems to me like lack of or terrible marketing is hurting the Wii.
MArio Galaxy is certainly not a cakewalk. It isnt extremely difficult, but neither is it very simple. Its a reasonably hard game to complete thoroughly.

Top Bottom