• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 Showroom | New cars and details for Forza 5, ongoing reveals

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Goddamn, been mulling over the Yas Marina night theory. Could it be true? It would tick the 'jaw-drop' box with a big fat sharpie.

I guess we'll find out this weekend.

That would mean there are two options for Yas Marina then because the box art already shows it in day:

screenshot2013-11-011your6.png

Revson

Precisely. It's not as if the painters haven't been asking to be able to paint on the windows and the headlights, so adding the tyres wouldn't be a biggy, no? I don't think there is a technical reason why we can't paint on 'rubber' shaders, but I'm probably wrong.

As for licensing, it would be covered under UGC and fair use. After all this time, one would assume the legal arguments re copy-write and trademarks are pretty set in stone. Although the monetization of the fredits system though the thrice damned token system could conceivably be problematic.
The only time Turn 10 has ever really listened to painters was when they wanted to know how to get rid of the layer glitch in Forza 2. The only real improvement to the paint editor over the last two games is that you no longer have to paint on the roof of a mini, so I highly doubt they would start listening to community feedback now.

The only time Turn 10 has ever really listened to painters was when they wanted to know how to get rid of the layer glitch in Forza 2. The only real improvement to the paint editor over the last two games is that you no longer have to paint on the roof of a mini, so I highly doubt they would start listening to community feedback now.

Being ex-members of NBT we would know about that glitch! lol.

I live in hope that the guy who originally developed the livery editor has been allowed out of Kinect purgatory and back to T10. It's the hope that kills you.....

Fruitster

I live in hope that the guy who originally developed the livery editor has been allowed out of Kinect purgatory and back to T10. It's the hope that kills you.....

DT Ollie certainly did! For my money, he did the best designs ever. Crazy stuff of well over 5000 layers a side at times. The layer glitch was fantastic if you knew how to use it, but DT really had it down to an art form. I remember you knew how to work it pretty well too! :)

amar212

If Turn10 wanted to have branded tires in Forza(Pirelli, Goodyear, Bridgestone, etc.), there would be fees involved. Instead, they have in-house Forza branded tires.

I do not think it is any of reasons suggested. IMO it has to do probably with actual ability to change dimensions of the tires in tuning. If there would be logos and different tires (including grooves), they would have to model insane amounts of variables to cover modofications. Without logos, they can just model one single model, that is modifiable and plastered on all cars in the game.

eso76

Goddamn, been mulling over the Yas Marina night theory. Could it be true? It would tick the 'jaw-drop' box with a big fat sharpie.

I guess we'll find out this weekend.

never heard of that theory, but it doesnt sound far fetched at all, considering artificial lighting basically makes yas marina a daylight race. wouldnt be too hard at all.

Seanspeed

Banned
I got 2 plays with this today. Laguna Seca. One run in the Focus, one in the Ferrari.

I honestly don't have much to say. I hated the impulse triggers. HATED them. It was so strong and it gave me zero clue as to what was going on with my grip level other than 'slipping'. I couldn't hear the game either, so I had very little ability to judge my limits. The rumbling was just oh so distracting and I desperately wish I could have turned them off.

Visuals - its nice looking. Definitely has some aliasing that Forza fans will be used to, but its not awful. Cant say I was 'wowed', but I would say that of most of the next-gen stuff I played and I think I've just been spoiled on the PC recently.

Revson

Haha, yep. :)

DT Ollie certainly did! For my money, he did the best designs ever. Crazy stuff of well over 5000 layers a side at times. The layer glitch was fantastic if you knew how to use it, but DT really had it down to an art form. I remember you knew how to work it pretty well too! :)
Yea, Ollie was definitely on another level. He produced some truly amazing designs. Crazy attention to detail. You were no slouch as well, if I remember. :)
I miss the overall quality of work from Forza 2. Such a shame that Turn 10 essentially killed the game for so many artists simply because they refused to add more layers.

never heard of that theory, but it doesnt sound far fetched at all, considering artificial lighting basically makes yas marina a daylight race. wouldnt be too hard at all.

You guys expecting more this week?

Two videos in a week, sorry, in a single day is something to loosen the jaw, never mind the content.

I got 2 plays with this today. Laguna Seca. One run in the Focus, one in the Ferrari.

I honestly don't have much to say. I hated the impulse triggers. HATED them. It was so strong and it gave me zero clue as to what was going on with my grip level other than 'slipping'. I couldn't hear the game either, so I had very little ability to judge my limits. The rumbling was just oh so distracting and I desperately wish I could have turned them off.

Visuals - its nice looking. Definitely has some aliasing that Forza fans will be used to, but its not awful. Cant say I was 'wowed', but I would say that of most of the next-gen stuff I played and I think I've just been spoiled on the PC recently.

Strange, I've heard reports of the triggers being anywhere from "very subtle" to now "too strong".

I'm happy that they at least have the capability to be strong since I was scared they would be weak and unsubstantial, but hopefully I'll find them nicely balanced (sorry) for launch.

derFeef

I found the impulse triggers really nice and not too strong at all. maybe you can adjust the strength in the final game, I am sure you can turn it off too.

Wow, and all this time I thought the trigger rumble was universally loved.

So the effect is too strong? Or just providing wrong/incorrect/useless feedback? Both?

Seanspeed

Banned
Strange, I've heard reports of the triggers being anywhere from "very subtle" to now "too strong".

I'm happy that they at least have the capability to be strong since I was scared they would be weak and unsubstantial, but hopefully I'll find them nicely balanced (sorry) for launch.
I respect that people have difference tolerances for things, but there's no way in hell it could be described as 'subtle'. Either way, its more that it completely distracts and masks what I need to be doing with my trigger modulation. And it was strong enough(for me) that while I obviously had the strength to 'push through' the extreme vibrating, it wasn't comfortable, physically or mentally, to do so.

It didn't help that I couldn't hear anything that was going on in the game, but I still came away without any real idea of what the physics were like, which is a huge thing with me. I know people talk about graphics all day long, but playability is everything to me.

Fruitster

Haha, yep. :)

Yea, Ollie was definitely on another level. He produced some truly amazing designs. Crazy attention to detail. You were no slouch as well, if I remember. :)
I miss the overall quality of work from Forza 2. Such a shame that Turn 10 essentially killed the game for so many artists simply because they refused to add more layers.

Cheers :) I did some stuff that looking back on I was pretty pleased with, but design wise I couldn't do what DT did. To be fair, not many could! I think 3000 a side was the highest I ever got.

Forza 2 was the best time for designs no question. So many great designs. The layer glitch possibly damaged the painting scene in Forza's that came after though, after having 5000 or so a side in Forza 2 if you knew how - to only having 1000 in Forza 3 and 4 did stop a lot of people from carrying on. The fun was not having limitations I felt, and that's probably true of many of the old faces from that time too.

Even so, I hope the design scene still lives on in Forza 5. It was a fun thing to get into if you have the time.

Does the rumble sync with audio effects or just do it's own thing?

Playing with no sound is disorientating enough. I'd have thought they'd set that shit up properly.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My problem when I played it was the lack of sound. Can't wait to have it in my house with the music off and nothing but car and track noise.

p3tran

Banned
there seems to be quite a lot of spectators in that indy video...

edit:
5000 layer glitch?! wow, guess who was busy hotlapping and never heard about that..! :D
soze, fruitster, revson, how about you show us a little like a "best of" of what you think where the most interesting designs?

The_Holy_Puck

Neo Member
Both videos look great! I just wish they were on new tracks like Yas marina.. Although seeing the new silverstone layout is cool.

Oh, and the open wheel, just look awesome.

Hawk269

That was great...it just makes me nervous that this close to launch, the show a Indy race with only 4 cars on the track. I mean, how glorious would it have been if they had a 20-24 car field for indy races?

Need that 60fps version of the video's though!

LeBoef

Does anyone know if i can plug the fanatec pedals to the thrustmaster or madkatz wheel?
And do we have any previous? Want to know which one is better

edit:
5000 layer glitch?! wow, guess who was busy hotlapping and never heard about that..! :D
soze, fruitster, revson, how about you show us a little like a "best of" of what you think where the most interesting designs?

Yep, it was a rather mad time. I think it was 3700 layers on a side before Ollie noticed the inside and the outside of the car model swapped. lol.

Here you go P3tran. The vid was all QKFlush's hard work. No apologies to those who like their virtual cars au natural. =p

http://youtu.be/bV_OkkpcfLo

Revson

edit:
The video that Soze has linked is great. The one artist we were talking about in particular, Ollie, was probably the best out of many great artists in Forza 2. I managed to find a few pics I took back in the day:

3977252545_89a11a1f88_o.jpg

3800649982_b80f4900b0_o.jpg

3712529668_beae68cd46.jpg

3544597434_bf91b37e14.jpg

3517118461_8936973ae9.jpg

GAF is so informative sometimes. Went into the thread for these 2 videos and found out this game isn't worth bargain bin price.

THANKS GAF just saved myself $60

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I hope they never reintroduce full Almafi. There, I said it.

you son of a...

nevermind. i suppose it would be difficult to get a mustang around all those blasted corners. i forgive you for your terrible opinion.

SarBear

you son of a...

nevermind. i suppose it would be difficult to get a mustang around all those blasted corners. i forgive you for your terrible opinion.

The 2000 Cobra R wouldn't have too much trouble. Even the Foxbody could work it out. Full Amalfi was just terrible, worse than New York. I'd rather race Nascar. Fuck, not even Forza Nascar. EA Nascar. -__-

The Indy video looks and sound great!

About the Ferrari 250 GTO, Please Helios give us a confirmation that its the official 1962 version and not the usual 1964 version with an incorrect date.

Thanks.

Cheers :) I did some stuff that looking back on I was pretty pleased with, but design wise I couldn't do what DT did. To be fair, not many could! I think 3000 a side was the highest I ever got.

Forza 2 was the best time for designs no question. So many great designs. The layer glitch possibly damaged the painting scene in Forza's that came after though, after having 5000 or so a side in Forza 2 if you knew how - to only having 1000 in Forza 3 and 4 did stop a lot of people from carrying on. The fun was not having limitations I felt, and that's probably true of many of the old faces from that time too.

Even so, I hope the design scene still lives on in Forza 5. It was a fun thing to get into if you have the time.
I had a great time with it. Did a couple that I was really pleased with back in forza 2 but not done it since,

I'm thinking I might dive back into it now.

Xanadu

Banned
The Indy video looks and sound great!

About the Ferrari 250 GTO, Please Helios give us a confirmation that its the official 1962 version and not the usual 1964 version with an incorrect date.

Thanks.

the series 2 didnt exist in 1962 so it must be the original

i hope they keep both

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Will there be a Halo Wathog, and will it remain in autovista or will it make it to the track this time?

Mascot

You guys expecting more this week?

We were promised something jaw-dropping this week. If it hasn't been delayed, then yes, I'm expecting more..!

Two videos in a week, sorry, in a single day is something to loosen the jaw, never mind the content.

Yeah, two videos from a traditionally media-stingy developer is undoubtedly nice, but those can't be the jaw-dropper, can they? Where's the big reveal? We've seen FM5 open wheelers and Indy cars before, and we've seen Silverstone already. There's nothing at all exciting about Indianapolis except "ooohhh... the history..!". I drove an Arial Atom on the 360s launch day EIGHT years ago in PGR3 and Indycars/F1 cars in countless other driving games over the past couple of decades. Just because Forza has finally caught up with the rest of the world doesn't make the fact "jaw dropping", unless Dan meant it in a purely ironic way.

No. No fucking way. Two videos would never be built up as a jaw dropping event, not even in the hyperbolic world of gaming PR. The jaw dropping news is still incoming. It has to be. The week isn't over yet.

Right Helios? Right BIGNOB? Right Saladine?

HeliosT10

We were promised something jaw-dropping this week. If it hasn't been delayed, then yes, I'm expecting more..!

Yeah, two videos from a traditionally media-stingy developer is undoubtedly nice, but those can't be the jaw-dropper, can they? Where's the big reveal? We've seen FM5 open wheelers and Indy cars before, and we've seen Silverstone already. There's nothing at all exciting about Indianapolis except "ooohhh... the history..!". I drove an Arial Atom on the 360s launch day EIGHT years ago in PGR3 and Indycars/F1 cars in countless other driving games over the past couple of decades. Just because Forza has finally caught up with the rest of the world doesn't make the fact "jaw dropping", unless Dan meant it in a purely ironic way.

No. No fucking way. Two videos would never be built up as a jaw dropping event, not even in the hyperbolic world of gaming PR. The jaw dropping news is still incoming. It has to be. The week isn't over yet.

Right Helios? Right BIGNOB? Right Saladine?

You do know that this "jaws will drop" quote wasn't anything said to the media but rather taken from an update Dan posted on his personal Facebook profile regarding upcoming press tours and us showing off the latest and nearly final build of game?

Top Bottom