• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

strange_booj said:
I'm getting a new PC want to make sure I'll be able to run everything fine. How would this run:

Intel Quad Core at 2.4 ghz each
2 X 8500GT with 512mb
2 gig ram

Eww, 8500GT? At least get 8600GT...

Kinan

I've tried to use my FFX disk with it. Surprisingly it worked without too much hassle, at least on video part. Sound has got corrupted though, and changing plugins didnt help, so I gave up. Also transfering saves from PS3 would be some work as far as I understood, so I'm not really motivated. But nice too see that people are making progress with it. Last time I checked the emu (few years ago) it could barely go to the menu.

Obaid

Banned
any god of war pix with 16xAA and upscaled and some compressions between PS3 1080 and PCSX 1080 (even if it sounds silly)

Durante

If anyone wants to try any of the Xenosaga games (though with the prevailing attitude on GAF towards them that's not likely) then don't bother for now. Apparently they use a strange highlight rendering process that causes all current GS plugins to flush the GPU pipeline many times per frame, causing <10 FPS even on high-end systems.

Those were the first games I tried and they made me question where all the improvements went. Then I played FF12 smoothly with huge amounts of AA. Too bad some games use the really "unconventional" features of the GS so much (and that also shows why it would be very hard even for Sony to create a near-perfect software PS2 emulator).

DiatribeEQ said:
Ummm...most PS2 emulators that I've tried have run the PS1 games I've put in my DVD drive.

Yeah, it's kinda like that.

Well, why would you want a PS2 emulator for something PS1 emulators have been able to do for like 7 years??

Edit: I wasn't sure before, but I am now, PS2 emulators don't run PS1 games. And "most" you've tried? Isn't PCSX the only one that got anywhere in PS2 emulation?

Link1110

There's a new version of the graphics plugin, and dq5's textboxes show now. Sort of a catch-22 for Tales of Destiny 2, though, menus go full speed but now battles are unplayably slow.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Mefisutoferesu said:
The way it was explained to me it has something to do with difficulty tuning (ie. sequences with too much action being easier on player in slowdown).
I'm no authority on the subject though, while I like shooters I'm not much good at them, and I never developed one commercially either.

Mamesj

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:
Ummm...most PS2 emulators that I've tried have run the PS1 games I've put in my DVD drive.

Yeah, it's kinda like that.

ePSXe will do for PS1 games what this is doing for PS2 games, including AA...FFIX certainly won't look any better on this.

Mamesj

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Hence the XBOX version.

last I checked the Xbox version is also a jaggy mess and does not look nearly as good as the PS2 version will while running on this emulator.

Fafalada said:
The way it was explained to me it has something to do with difficulty tuning (ie. sequences with too much action being easier on player in slowdown).
I'm no authority on the subject though, while I like shooters I'm not much good at them, and I never developed one commercially either.
Well, now I feel bad for being so quick to accuse... seems like a fairly honest though *facepalm* inducing reason.

Fireye

medze said:
*high five* to anyone who can get some screencaps of Amplitude up

I'll take you up on that offer! Tonight, amplitude will be emulated, and all will be good (assuming I can find the game).

I tried DDR Max PS2 JP, and it worked pretty well. Graphically, it was perfect. Audio/Video sync was off however. Ran ~90-120fps without the frame limiter.

Kuran

Banned
I got the BIOS', I have the latest non-beta release. And I have a PS2 game.

When I push the DVD in the drive and start the emulation, it starts 'scanning' (?) the entire disk... after a while I see an image appear (not related to the game, Sky Gunner in this case) and nothing else happens...

Should I just try with a different game? Or am I forgetting something...

xemumanic

Kuran said:
I got the BIOS', I have the latest non-beta release. And I have a PS2 game.

When I push the DVD in the drive and start the emulation, it starts 'scanning' (?) the entire disk... after a while I see an image appear (not related to the game, Sky Gunner in this case) and nothing else happens...

Should I just try with a different game? Or am I forgetting something...

You probably shouldn't ask that here. The PCSX 2 website has lots of FAQs and How-Tos for this.

Eiji

Fireye said:
I tried DDR Max PS2 JP, and it worked pretty well. Graphically, it was perfect. Audio/Video sync was off however. Ran ~90-120fps without the frame limiter.

Alongside the frame limiter use the ZeroSPU2 sound plugin and enable Real Time mode in the plugin options for games like DDR etc.

Dali

Durante said:
Those were the first games I tried and they made me question where all the improvements went. Then I played FF12 smoothly with huge amounts of AA. Too bad some games use the really "unconventional" features of the GS so much (and that also shows why it would be very hard even for Sony to create a near-perfect software PS2 emulator).

It may be difficult, but that isn't really evidence to support that. Sony wouldn't have to reverse engineer everything like the PCSX2 creators.

Mikey10

Banned
Jacobi said:
What the hell San Andreas has been on the PC for years

Yep, but my comment was really more of a general statement for games which lack AA, and suffer from a lack of mip mapping and AF. San Andreas suffers big time from this, as do loads of other last gen games.

Mamesj

Banned
What kind of framerates are you guys getting with FFXII?

can't check how it'll run here since I just sent my graphics card in for a step up...but I'm hoping I get even better performance when I install my new card (getting a GT from EVGA, ebaying it, using the money for the new G92 GTS :D )

xemumanic

Mamesj said:
What kind of framerates are you guys getting with FFXII?

can't check how it'll run here since I just sent my graphics card in for a step up...but I'm hoping I get even better performance when I install my new card (getting a GT from EVGA, ebaying it, using the money for the new G92 GTS :D )

I get about 50 on average, or so, but it can drop to like 26 in places like Rabanastre where there's lots going on.

After using it for a couple of more games the graphics works really well but..

WHATS UP WITH THE SOUND?

Shouldn't it be easier for them to emulate sounds then graphics? Sound keeps stuttering and just overall feels really sloppy.

Mamesj

Banned
jakershaker said:
After using it for a couple of more games the graphics works really well but..

WHATS UP WITH THE SOUND?

Shouldn't it be easier for them to emulate sounds then graphics? Sound keeps stuttering and just overall feels really sloppy.

What part of "Work in progress" do you not understand? ;)

its made by people who dedicate their free time to it. "sloppy" is a word better suited for $60 retail releases that suck ass. and sound is an issue in most emulators from the nes and snes to the PS1, and now this.

Mamesj said:
What part of "Work in progress" do you not understand? ;)

its made by people who dedicate their free time to it. "sloppy" is a word better suited for $60 retail releases that suck ass.

This is something that should be repetead more often. These guys are doing it out of their free time, so the progress really shouldn't be looked down upon.

Eiji

jakershaker said:
WHATS UP WITH THE SOUND?

Have you tried all 3 sound plugins and messed with their configurations? P.E.Op.S SPU2 is the best plugin for me and works great with many games.

bran

Seemed to run Persona 3 @ 720p with 4x AA fine. 60fps mostly, 200 in some places...

Quad Core xeon @ 3.2ghz

Mamesj

Banned
bran said:
Seemed to run Persona 3 @ 720p with 4x AA fine. 60fps mostly, 200 in some places...

Quad Core xeon @ 3.2ghz

That's awesome. can't wait until those quad cores get cheaper.

x3sphere

strange_booj said:
I'm getting a new PC want to make sure I'll be able to run everything fine. How would this run:

Intel Quad Core at 2.4 ghz each
2 X 8500GT with 512mb
2 gig ram

2 X 8500 GT is a waste of money. 1 8600 GT (which is like $50 more) would probably outperform both because SLI really sucks, barely anything supports it fully.

With a 8600GT, its about the same as my computer so you'd definitely be getting around 60 FPS in Odin Sphere. It won't run most games at full speed though. If you want to run some of the more demanding games at full speed you need a high end quad core 2 duo.

Sylar

Banned
medze said:
Looks like HD Frequency. :D

My PC is too ancient though to run it over about 20 fps, which is sad since the game is hardly graphic intensive.It would be playable except for the fact that if the game isn't running top speed, the music will lag and be choppy.

It was truly a painful experience for me to play "Ex-girlfriend" under those conditions... so I booted it on my PS2 immediately after to sooth the pain

*high five* to anyone who can get some screencaps of Amplitude up

edit: oh, and Bully too! I'd love to see that so I can begin speculation about Scholarship Edition's graphic quality

:D HD Frequency <3.

I'm going to try this this weekend with Freq + Amp and i'll try Bully for you!

Souther

Banned
bran said:

Quad Core xeon @ 3.2ghz

200FPS?? Isn't that waaaaaaaaaay too fast.

also what type of videocard are you using.

I tried this out like a month ago and i know i have the PC to run iit(2gigsram, Dual core athlon 4200+) but my VC is lacking...I figure if i pick up a radeon 3850 i should be set.

Chrono

Banned
Eh, call me when there's perfect emulation for the best PS2 titles.

Maybe in 2 years. By then however Sony would probably have their own 100% software emulation. The only question is if it will upscale as great as some of the pics posted in this thread.

Souther said:
200FPS?? Isn't that waaaaaaaaaay too fast.

Faster FPS show more detail each second but they don't actually speed up the game. Unless I misunderstood your post. :p

Souther

Banned
Chrono said:
Eh, call me when there's perfect emulation for the best PS2 titles.

Maybe in 2 years. By then however Sony would probably have their own 100% software emulation. The only question is if it will upscale as great as some of the pics posted in this thread.

Faster FPS show more detail each second but they don't actually speed up the game. Unless I misunderstood your post. :p

Ahh i see. Nope, i think i was the 1 that misunderstood the 200FPS thing.

xemumanic

Gabest made a new DX10 version of his plugin (GSDx10), and the results are incredible. It runs a bit faster and looks better. Someone by the name of kidling on the forums posted a few screenshots I thought you'd like to see. He set the internal res to 1920x1080, but his monitor seems to be 1680x1050.

Final Fantasy X:

ffxa.jpg

ffxb.jpg

ffxc.jpg

ffxd.jpg

Final Fantasy XII:

ffxiiia.jpg

ffxiiib.jpg

ffxiiic.jpg

ffxiiid.jpg

h3ro

WOW!!! FF XII looks AMAZING!!

Sony needs to get on these guys to start working on emulation of PS2 software on the triple... It will give me incentive to finally finish XII!!!

Anyone have shots of playing God of War I or II??

xemumanic

h3ro said:
WOW!!! FF XII looks AMAZING!!

Sony needs to get on these guys to start working on emulation of PS2 software on the triple... It will give me incentive to finally finish XII!!!

Anyone have shots of playing God of War I or II??

No I haven't seen any screenshots of God of War that I can remember.

Danj

Does anyone else have problems with games that have FMVs? For example when I tried FF12, it seemed OK in-game but slowed way down when there were FMV sequences.

Durante

The FF12 character models and textures are so damn impressive for PS2. They're almost wasted on the usual PS2-quality 480i output.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ffxiiic.jpg

Seriously, the polished graphics on this one is... just wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom