• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bee

xemumanic said:
ffxiiia.jpg

:O reboots into vista :p

xemumanic

Danj said:
Does anyone else have problems with games that have FMVs? For example when I tried FF12, it seemed OK in-game but slowed way down when there were FMV sequences.

Yeah, the FMV for the game is totally jacked up.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
It's also a testament to the quality of SE artists. The textures, as low res as they are, are really flawless. I try not to think about how amazing FFXIII is going to look like because who knows when it'll be out. But wow.

Dali

xemumanic said:
Gabest made a new DX10 version of his plugin (GSDx10), and the results are incredible. It runs a bit faster and looks better. Someone by the name of kidling on the forums posted a few screenshots I thought you'd like to see. He set the internal res to 1920x1080, but his monitor seems to be 1680x1050.

*Final Fantasy X and XII pics*

Looks better than Enchanted Arms.

HOLY COW!!

The modeling and detailing is so intricate in FFXII!

God, my computer is so underpowered to handle this in any capacity, these pics are so hot!!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What are the best plugins and plugin configurations aside from GSDX10?

Intel Core Duo 1.73 GHz

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256MB

2 GB RAM.

Wow, the DX10 plugin is quite a bit faster. Played a couple levels of Killer7, performance is much better. Though I tried to take some screenshots, and they came out poorly. Don't know why. Colors are wrong and textures are missing, even though that wasn't the case when I was playing the game.

adg1034

I don't know how you guys are getting FFXII to work smoothly- I've got an E6400 (still on stock speed), 2GB RAM, and an X1950 Pro, and I get major problems with the opening movie. The one with the SE logo and clouds and things. It plays for ~ 2 seconds, lags for 2 seconds, and continues like this ad infinitum. I've changed settings, changed graphics plugins, set it to no AA, and even turned off sound emulation, and I still have problems. Ideas, anyone?

adg1034 said:
I don't know how you guys are getting FFXII to work smoothly- I've got an E6400 (still on stock speed), 2GB RAM, and an X1950 Pro, and I get major problems with the opening movie. The one with the SE logo and clouds and things. It plays for ~ 2 seconds, lags for 2 seconds, and continues like this ad infinitum. I've changed settings, changed graphics plugins, set it to no AA, and even turned off sound emulation, and I still have problems. Ideas, anyone?

Are you using GSDx10?

Mamesj

Banned
just played a few hours of FFXII. it's an ugly, jaggy mess and looks like a PS1 game compared to those shots :( I would totally dual boot vista if I could have the game running a perfect 60fps looking like that. MS should use those screenshots in upcoming Vista ads. :lol

Hm. Performance with this emulator varies greatly from game to game. Shadow of the Colossus is so slow as to be unplayable. Some graphical glitches too. MGS3, SH2 & 3 have big problems also.

"Hm. Performance with this emulator varies greatly from game to game. Shadow of the Colossus is so slow as to be unplayable."

Sounds like faithful emulation to me.

xemumanic

adg1034 said:

As I said, FMV is totally f*cked upright now using GSDx9/10. I don't have a DX10 card yet (scheming on an 8800GT), but those screenshots looked so awesome I had to post them here for NeoGAF to see.

Either way, use GSDx9/10, preferably GSDx10 if you can. Its much better for FFXII, and many other games. Also, its best to ISO up your disc and run the emulator off of the ISO.

xemumanic

Koojay said:
C2D E6700 3.2ghz
4 gigs of ram
8800gts 320mb

That good enough to run this exceptionally?

Hell yes, you have a better CPU than kidling did, who made the screenshots I posted. I believe he had the same GPU, but his CPU was a Core 2 6550. Just do what I said in the last post. Also, he set the internal res in the plugin to 1920x1080.

Other than that, you should be good to go.

Yoboman

Wow, I'd like to see Shadow of the Colossus on this thing with all those filters. And some Tekken 5 too

Mamesj

Banned
total noob question: theoretically, can it run SotC without slowdown? like, all the frames are in the game, but the PS2 just can't handle it? or will it just run smoothly but with the same frames of animation? these questions feel retarded... :lol

painey

its incredible how much detail is in these final fantasy characters, especially considering that without emulation no one would ever appreciate them

Durante

Mamesj said:
total noob question: theoretically, can it run SotC without slowdown? like, all the frames are in the game, but the PS2 just can't handle it? or will it just run smoothly but with the same frames of animation?
That depends on how SotC is written, but it's very likely that it will run at locked FPS with the right hardware and a mature emulator.

painey said:
its incredible how much detail is in these final fantasy characters, especially considering that without emulation no one would ever appreciate them
Yeah, that's what I said a page ago. Merely thinking about FF13 makes me tingly.

This really is the best reason to upgrade to Vista.

Mamesj said:
What part of "Work in progress" do you not understand? ;)

its made by people who dedicate their free time to it. "sloppy" is a word better suited for $60 retail releases that suck ass. and sound is an issue in most emulators from the nes and snes to the PS1, and now this.

Yeah thats what I said :lol

I'm loving the progress they're making and realise it's a long way to go but right now the sound emulation is what separates this from being an usable emulator, no sound plugins is even near the great graphics plugins which is kind of strange imo. But perhaps sound really is harder to emulate for PS2.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
painey said:
Yeah, FFXII was really jagged and pixelated and that was because there was so much detail in the game, constrained by resolution. I mean, a flat surface would look OK in low resolution, but if you try to cram tons of little details there and then downscale it it will look like ass.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Catapult Beetle said:
Hm. Performance with this emulator varies greatly from game to game. Shadow of the Colossus is so slow as to be unplayable.

That's how Shadow of the Colossus normally plays.

Eiji

Street Fighter EX 3 never looked so good! The new GSdx plugins remove the ugly post-processing blur that was in this game with the end result being a clean image.

8boivix.jpg

7yf0p5e.jpg

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Has anyone tried any of the following:

Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou
Espgaluda
Ibara
Mushihime Sama

Do they run ok? What kind of GPU would I need to use with my 2.8GHz Pentium D to get good performance?

Civil

These shots are stunning. Really, really nice stuff. I'd re-buy tons of old PS2 games just to replay them in high-def with better framerates if I could run this well. Maybe the emulator will be in better shape by the time I pick up a new desktop capable of running it.

Mamesj

Banned
Geezer said:
Has anyone tried any of the following:

Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou
Espgaluda
Ibara
Mushihime Sama

Do they run ok? What kind of GPU would I need to use with my 2.8GHz Pentium D to get good performance?

I've tried all of those except Espgaluda. They are plagued by slowdown and graphical glitches. Mushihime is the closest to playable. I don't think you'll get very far with that processor-- I was using a 2.66ghz core 2 duo w/ a 8800GTS 640mb and was getting bad results with those games.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Mamesj said:
I've tried all of those except Espgaluda. They are plagued by slowdown and graphical glitches. Mushihime is the closest to playable. I don't think you'll get very far with that processor-- I was using a 2.66ghz core 2 duo w/ a 8800GTS 640mb and was getting bad results with those games.

Thanks for the reply, looks like I'll just have to use a PS2 plus Hori Upscan 2 instead of using emulation. Emulation would have the advantage of better scaling as I'm sure 640X480 on my 1680X1050 panel will be ugly as hell!

SRG01

I'm thinking of running this on my lappy with T7500 and 2GB Ram (And 8400m GS). I'm not going to turn up the internal resolution that high, so would it work for me?

bee

the gsdx10 plugin is the solitary reason for me to boot into vista right now, its marginally better than the dx9 version with less crashes and bugs and i think this must be the 1st time in history where dx10 is faster than dx9 :D

final fantasy 12 is totally playable barring some sound looping and a few other bugs, awesome stuff.

Banned
Okay, this a noob question becuase I understand nothing about the most hardware, but why do the specs need to be so high to run games on this emulator?

xemumanic

I just finished having a bit of a conversation in the GSDx9 thread that revealed a tidbit of information I think some of you would be interested in hearing. Some of you have mentioned after I posted kidling's screenshots of FFX/FFXII using GSDx10 that there was finally a reason to run Vista and DX10 for some of you. I guess many of you forget what it was like when XP first came out and PC gamers were hanging onto 98, because it performed better.

http://forums.ngemu.com/ps2-plugin-questions-troubleshooting/50783-gsdx9-29.html

Well, someone by the name of 'tuanming' on the GSDx9 thread about half an hour ago, did a comparison of XP x86 and x64, vs Vista x86. He only posted the XP64 pictures because he claims the performance was pretty much the same between the two, but Vista's framerate was much higher. At first, I thought the Vista screenshots were using GSDx10, not realizing he has a DX9 card. This shows a performance increase, even in DX9, under Vista.

I don't want to get into a whole tangent about XP vs Vista, DX9 vs Dx10, but the subject was brought up earlier by a number of you, and I thought you'd be interested to see this.

IMO, as I said, its all the same as it was when we transitioned from 98 to XP. We've yet to see a PC game made from the ground up for DX10 and Vista, and with Gabest's plugins being pretty recent code on recent compilers, this only shows what we are bound to see in the future.

BTW, he's not even using an Nvidia card, so there you have it. Higher performance no matter what. :D

Edit: tuanming just edited his post to show some Vista x64 numbers, and they are slower. The PCSX 2 devs did say the 64bit version of their emu was slower/broken, and even removed the download from the website, so thats probably the reasoning for the lesser performance.

Also, I've been posting a lot of screenshots of FFXII looking so great, with high fps on the counters, bu don't think everything about the game on the emu is as rosy. The FMV are al screwed up, and some places like Rabanastre and the liscense board drop the fps tremendously.

bee

played through first 2 hours of ff12 seemed pretty dam good to me , dont care about the fmv i skip it all anyway it was just the sound looping that was annoying, ff10 is practically perfect.

also tried okami, last time i gave that a go it managed to get the title screen run at 5fps then crash , tried it this time and the sound is 100% perfect so far and the game runs 60fps locked with a few graphics glitches, mighty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom