• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnarok

well i messed around with the different plugins and got FFX working almost flawlessly. A little slowdown in battle scenes but nothing terrible.

It looks TERRIFIC. I can't believe how long ago this game was released...With the resolution jump, it's just looks fantastic.

I can't help but think that if I had an overclocked processor, the game would perform flawlessly. Unfortunately I seem to have a hard time overclocking my E4500 (2.2). Whenever I try in the BIOS, after I save and exit it doesn't reboot...I can hear everything in my computer running but it never displays anything forcing me to hard-reboot it and then it reverts back to normal clock speed.

It's freaking annoying :mad:

xemumanic

Borys said:
No, not even close. Maybe when PCSX2 version 1.0 is out.

Don't expect a v1.0 for years, if ever. It'll always be a work in progress. We'll continue to see improvements, both minor and major, for some time.

I wouldn't even expect to see a big new release for another 6 months at best.

Zenith

Banned
Ragnarok said:
well i messed around with the different plugins and got FFX working almost flawlessly. A little slowdown in battle scenes but nothing terrible.

It looks TERRIFIC. I can't believe how long ago this game was released...With the resolution jump, it's just looks fantastic.

what are your full specs?

this is really weird, both ACE2 and ACE3 run really well, but both games dont advance once you start the first missions. You are stuck doing the same thing forever. I read that you could use your own save and that works, but I only have a save for ACE2 (I had ACE3 for a while now but no way to play imports) but I dont know how I could ge the save onto my PC.

Dali

Linkzg said:
this is really weird, both ACE2 and ACE3 run really well, but both games dont advance once you start the first missions. You are stuck doing the same thing forever. I read that you could use your own save and that works, but I only have a save for ACE2 (I had ACE3 for a while now but no way to play imports) but I dont know how I could ge the save onto my PC.

Doesn't Gamefaqs have savestates? If not, I'm sure somewhere on the net has them.

sikkinixx

I tried to get these emu's working a while back after seeing how freakin amazing FFXII looked and since I have a nice new PC I figure it could handle it....

But yeah... the PS2 bios dumping and all the configs and stufff... I'm not that good with computers :lol

Dali said:
Doesn't Gamefaqs have savestates? If not, I'm sure somewhere on the net has them.

I couldent figure out how to use the gamefaqs ones. I did buy that memory card transfer thing for my PS3 and I think that is USB, so that might work.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
xemumanic said:
Don't expect a v1.0 for years, if ever. It'll always be a work in progress. We'll continue to see improvements, both minor and major, for some time.

I wouldn't even expect to see a big new release for another 6 months at best.

I'll bet you $100 right NOW, that v1.0 will be out before either:

A)Ville releases an update to his Model 3 emulator which runs Daytona USA 2 at at LEAST 60fps with sound.

B)Someone else releases a Model 3 emulator that runs Daytona USA 2 at at LEAST 60fps with sound.

C)The mame team improves Model 3 emulation in mame, to the point where Daytona USA 2 runs at LEAST 60fps with sound.

I've got my money ready xemumanic...do you?

xemumanic

isamu said:
I'll bet you $100 right NOW, that v1.0 will be out before either:

A)Ville releases an update to his Model 3 emulator which runs Daytona USA 2 at at LEAST 60fps with sound.

B)Someone else releases a Model 3 emulator that runs Daytona USA 2 at at LEAST 60fps with sound.

C)The mame team improves Model 3 emulation in mame, to the point where Daytona USA 2 runs at LEAST 60fps with sound.

I've got my money ready xemumanic...do you?

I really don't think either is going to happen by even the end of the year (PCSX2 1.0 or Daytona 2 in any emu, maybe even by NEXT year). But as for the latter, I'm wondering if you've gotten in good with Ville, and now have inside info, maybe as a beta tester or something. You're just crazy enough over the subject to have done so. :D

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
xemumanic said:
I really don't think either is going to happen by even the end of the year (PCSX2 1.0 or Daytona 2 in any emu, maybe even by NEXT year). But as for the latter, I'm wondering if you've gotten in good with Ville, and now have inside info, maybe as a beta tester or something. You're just crazy enough over the subject to have done so. :D

Nah bro. I wish. Ville is incredibly guarded from what I've heard. And is allegedly suffering from a serious WoW addiction. I think the best we can hope for is for El Semi to take over the Super Model emu from Ville, so we can finally get these damn games playable in an emu.

On another note, drkRazielII is making progress getting Naomi games running in nullDC. Having arcade perfect naomi racing games like Initial D, Ferrari F355, Kulb Cart racing, Crazi Taxi and Route 66 running at full speed with sound in an emu would be the next best thing to getting M3 emulation IMO :D

As for PS2 emulation, the only games I really wanna fuck with is DQVIII, RRV and GT4.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
darkpaladinmfc said:
How does Kingdom Hearts II run? The website says 'playable' but hows the framerate?

depends on your specifications

dual core CPU and 7800GTX+ or higher, will usually run most games as efficient as is possible with the current state of the emulator

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm tempted on trying this with Shadow of the Colossus 2. I bought the game a few days ago, but it's damn near unplayable with the single digit framerates.

I've got an E6600@3.0GHz with an 8800GT....hopefully that can cut it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Ragnarok said:

I can't help but think that if I had an overclocked processor, the game would perform flawlessly. Unfortunately I seem to have a hard time overclocking my E4500 (2.2). Whenever I try in the BIOS, after I save and exit it doesn't reboot...I can hear everything in my computer running but it never displays anything forcing me to hard-reboot it and then it reverts back to normal clock speed.

It's freaking annoying :mad:
what plugins are you using?

I'm trying to get Okami working at FPS over 20 and to not looks like royale ass

FFXII has horrible performance during FMVs and the text is full of garbage characters

(I'm using real discs, btw...so some of the FFXII issues might be my DVD drive fucking up while reading the DVDs)

xemumanic

Gattsu25 said:
what plugins are you using?

I'm trying to get Okami working at FPS over 20 and to not looks like royale ass

FFXII has horrible performance during FMVs and the text is full of garbage characters

(I'm using real discs, btw...so some of the FFXII issues might be my DVD drive fucking up while reading the DVDs)

ISO your disc up and run the emu from that. This goes for any disc-based emulator like SSF, ePSXe, or pSX. It just runs better.

Also, you're best off using Gabest's GSDX plugin for FF XII, or even most games. It should be your default plugin, and ZeroGS being the alternate if it doesn't work out. But the FMV in FF XII is screwed up/blocky no matter what you use.

joesmokey

Thread is months old yes, but...

Specs:
Intel Q6600
nVidia 8800GTS 512MB
Vista Ultimate

I can't get anything to work with the GSdx plugin. I've tried using the SSE2/SSE3/SSE4 variants but every time I start a game PCSX2 crashes immediately.

ZeroGS on the other hand works perfectly, so I'm not sure what is going on with my setup. The official forums are no help with my situation either :(.

xemumanic

joesmokey said:
Thread is months old yes, but...

Specs:
Intel Q6600
nVidia 8800GTS 512MB
Vista Ultimate

I can't get anything to work with the GSdx plugin. I've tried using the SSE2/SSE3/SSE4 variants but every time I start a game PCSX2 crashes immediately.

ZeroGS on the other hand works perfectly, so I'm not sure what is going on with my setup. The official forums are no help with my situation either :(.

Hmm, that's odd.........dunno what to say.

Check the official thread for GSDx here: http://forums.ngemu.com/ps2-plugin-questions-troubleshooting/97657-gsdx.html

But if PCSX2 itself crashes, then there's something else going wrong.

BitchTits

I've tried this out today and I can't seem to get it working whatever graphics plugin I use. Usually it just crashes, once it loaded and I got the PS2 browser/system config menu but didn't know how to get to the actual game :lol - I had Dragon Quest 8 in the DVD drive at the time. I know it's better to run ISO's, but I was just trying to get it working first.

It's gonna take some more reading up on if I want to get this baby working!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
hope no one minds me pimping a different forum, but here's a few screens of games running on PCSX successfully .. FFXII looks pretty good.

FFXII :
http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/156855-post31.html

Moar XII and God of war 2 (glitchy) :
http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/156954-post38.html

Shadow Hearts : From The New World (Covenant doesn't work :( ) :
http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/159818-post62.html

Dragon Quest VIII :
http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/157532-post53.html

Kingdom Hearts II :
http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/157883-post55.html

Grandia III :
http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/157962-post56.html

Shadow of the colossus :
http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/157845-post54.html

Moar FFXII and God Of War 1 :
http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/156511-post1.html

Eiji

Yep, this is for real. Shadow of the Colossus running full speed with PCSX2 X3 SVN build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgyXToPKnMA

Not my vid but I was playing Rogue Galaxy full speed on my rig.

E4500 @ 3.6GHz
4GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz DDR2 RAM
PNY 8800GT OC
Vista X64

r29s1i.jpg

Eiji said:
Yep, this is for real. Shadow of the Colossus running full speed with PCSX2 X3 SVN build.

E4500 @ 3.6GHz
PNY 8800GT OC
Vista X64

r29s1i.jpg
Wow. Is it lame that I kind of want to get a new computer for this?

I really, really wish we could get a PS3-native version of the game so I wouldn't feel that need. I want that SO MUCH.

Xelinis

Anyone with experience with compiling PCSX2 in Windows?

I'm gonna give it a go once I get my hands on Visual Studio again. I did a custom compile on my other computer in Linux but running it brought that rig to its knees. :lol

Timan

Developer
I'm sure this has been asked already, but I'm a twat at searching.

How well does the 360 controller work with this emu?

Xelinis

Timan said:

Its just another input device. Setup the keybindings manually. :p

Timan said:

Works well, but there is that whole issue where the triggers act as one instead of two seperate things.

Is there a way to fix that for Vista?

jett

D-Member
Eiji said:

E4500 @ 3.6GHz
PNY 8800GT OC
Vista X64

r29s1i.jpg

The framerate inside the temple is still crap. When out on the field the emulator runs pretty much the same as the ps2. I've now seen the whole thing, it still slows down like the game running on a ps2. People, don't think this emu fixes SotC's framerate issues, because it doesn't. :p

Jirotrom

jett said:
The framerate inside the temple is still crap. When out on the field the emulator runs pretty much the same as the ps2. I've now seen the whole thing, it still slows down like the game running on a ps2. People, don't think this emu fixes SotC's framerate issues, because it doesn't. :p
so... it runs at a higher res right.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
But it makes it run in high res with texture filtering! And the framerate did look better (and the counter was showing it to be high)

Still, there's some bad glitching with shadows while he's climbing up the wall etc.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It looks like it was animated with a low framerate in mind. Upping the FPS seems like it makes the game look weird.

SOLDIER

I've been out of the loop of this for the past few months, but I've recently updated my rig.

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model EP35-DS3L
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F4, 4/2/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.33 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.23 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.42 GB
Page File Space 4.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Can I get a quick list of what to download and what settings to mess with for maximum play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom