• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
sp0rsk said:
It looks like it was animated with a low framerate in mind. Upping the FPS seems like it makes the game look weird.
Perhaps the physics are running at only 30FPS or something.

That could all be easily fixed by limiting the emulator framerate to 30, if needed.

lupinko

jman2050 said:
hint: you can't buy CPS3 arcade games from your local Gamestop.

You can buy CPS3 games from your local arcade distributor though or order them online via online distributors.

Wow, I wasn't aware there was a PS2 emulator so far into development

Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer save files between the PS3 and the Emulator on the PC? With my PSX emulator I transfer my saves between my PC and my PSP (since I mostly play PSX games on my PSP) without any issues simply using a converter and an exporter out of pops.

Since I often times lug my PS3 around with me on trips and not my PC. I'd hate to have my saved files tied down at home on my desktop computer since my laptop couldn't dream of emulating PS2 with its video card.

This seems to act a bit weirder than older versions. Old versions slightly slower than normal, but it was at a constant slow. This runs incredibly smooth at points, then suddenly slows down at random points.

Mamesj

Banned
SOLDIER said:
I've been out of the loop of this for the past few months, but I've recently updated my rig.

Can I get a quick list of what to download and what settings to mess with for maximum play?

google "ngemu" and start reading a lot.

It's far from "install and play"

jett

D-Member
Just for teh lulz, I loaded up SotC. That canyon section at the end of the youtube video runs at a stable 30fps on the PS2...and in that emulator vid Wander actually runs faster than normal, that's why the animation looks off.

SOLDIER

Mamesj said:
google "ngemu" and start reading a lot.

It's far from "install and play"

I was hoping for a quicker solution, but fine. At least answer me this: What are some current games that run almost perfectly/perfectly so far? I want to make sure I'm testing things with a game that's not supposed to have a framerate problem or other glitches.

EGM92

Druz said:
Wish this stuff would work faster when I use my PS2 disk

ISO the game, problem solved. If I'm not mistaken PCSX2 used to have a ripping tool included in the CD/DVD-rom drive emulator plugin.

Jirotrom

Eiji said:
Nope, you can run it on XP too.
i cant get this to run... I downloaded the emulatar from rapidshare on that SOTC link and everytime I run it, IT crashes after the first Sony screen:(

My PC is running an Intel E8400 and an HD4870.

cryptic

How do I rip my ps2 games?
Can I ask that?

Also, what graphics plugin should I use and what should I set with my specs:

AMD phenom 9500 quad core 2.2 ghz
4gz ram
8500 gt

Thanks.

kitanii

Banned
Jirotrom said:
i cant get this to run... I downloaded the emulatar from rapidshare on that SOTC link and everytime I run it, IT crashes after the first Sony screen:(

Try changing the graphics plugins and bios, usually one of those thats the problem.

Zenith

Banned
Jirotrom said:

it's because of the gsdx plugin. you need to have the latest gfx drivers and some directx dlls.

So what's the excuse that Sony uses on why we don't have Software Emulation BC? This emulation here seems pretty good and I'm sure they don't have the know how of the machine that Sony engineers have.

xemumanic

AranhaHunter said:
So what's the excuse that Sony uses on why we don't have Software Emulation BC? This emulation here seems pretty good and I'm sure they don't have the know how of the machine that Sony engineers have.

PCSX2, for good performance, requires both a better video card/GPU than the PS3 has, and just in general, more general CPU horsepower than the PS3 can provide. However, Sony is able to 'cheat' since it is their hardware, they know everything about it. But consider where their software emulation is now, and where PCSX 2 truly is. There may be lots of high res high framerate shots in this thread of games running well, but many more games don't work acceptability even if you had a CRAY supercomputer. God of War seems to only work in software mode in GSdx.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Jirotrom said:

You tried messing with the plugins settings yet? Maybe the BIOS is wrong. I'm curious to see how FFXII runs on that PC. Please make pics if you can get it to work! :D

Tendo

So I'm going to try messing around with this later tonight. Saw someone was playing Rogue Galaxy. The pcsx2 site says the game can't be completed. Is this still the case? Hoping to get ffxii running with it later :)

SOLDIER

I just made a post at the forum, but I'll post it here in case one of you can offer some tips.

As you might remember, I posted a bit back with help on getting the PS2 emulator to work. Well I'm coming back to you months later with some upgraded system specs as well as updating the emulator and plugins, so hopefully I'm just a few clicks away from getting a nearly perfect PS2 game running off this thing.

First, my system specs:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5, 7/16/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.25 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.22 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.31 GB
Page File Space 4.29 GB

I downloaded the latest version of PCSX2 (0.94). I'm using the following Plugins:

ps21.jpg

On the graphics plugin I'm using the following settings (the resolution is 1920x1080, with my PC hooked up to my '40 LCD):

ps22.jpg

On the CD/DVD plugin I'm using the following settings:

ps23.jpg

I tried Silent Hill 4 and FFXII and actually managed to get them running, but with a few issues that I hope you can help resolve.

Those issues are:

1. Inconsistent FPS: The PS2 boot menu moves at an extremely fast speed, over 100 fps. Once a game starts, it varies between moving super fast (SH4) or a little under 30 (FFXII). Is there a way to lock it?

2. FMV: All FMV is all static-ish and messed up, forcing me to skip it.

3. Windowed: Even though I can have the emulator fill up the screen, is there a fullscreen option that removes the top and bottom info bars?

The framerate is pretty much the biggest hurdle, so please offer me all the advice you can.

I don't like supporting "illegal versions", but since PCSX2 is freeware, I suggest people to try to find the svn377 build of this emulator, it's a private build, but it has some speed hacks which makes the emulator very fast.

SOLDIER said:
The framerate is pretty much the biggest hurdle, so please offer me all the advice you can.
There's not much you can do, either get a better gpu or try that version I just talked about.

I doubt many people at all would pay $100 or near that, but many people did pay $50 for Connectix VGS back in the day. Enough that Sony felt they had to quash it.

Zenith

Banned
1. Inconsistent FPS: The PS2 boot menu moves at an extremely fast speed, over 100 fps. Once a game starts, it varies between moving super fast (SH4) or a little under 30 (FFXII). Is there a way to lock it?

config -> CPU and switch on the framerate limiter.

also turn down the resolution. it'll do nothing but compromise the speed.

get svn377 beta build.

Waikis

Zenith said:
config -> CPU and switch on the framerate limiter.

also turn down the resolution. it'll do nothing but compromise the speed.

get svn377 beta build.

Newest one is svn390 x3 I think.

bee

SOLDIER said:

turn dual core on in cpu config, you should be able to run ff12 full speed i know i can and get one of the latest svn's as it fixes the fmv

BishopLamont said:
I don't like supporting "illegal versions", but since PCSX2 is freeware, I suggest people to try to find the svn377 build of this emulator, it's a private build, but it has some speed hacks which makes the emulator very fast.

no its not, its an official build, get it here

http://www.pcsx2.net/downloads.php?p=publicbeta

svn 390 is the latest though

SOLDIER

I still can't figure out how to get this running in fullscreen. People said to try ALT+Enter, but when I do that the screen goes black and I get the "video mode not supported" message from my TV. Tried it with different resolutions too.

rod

Banned
ok, so im about to dabble into this thing, can i get a noobs intro on 1.what to get 2.how to get it 3.how to tweak it 4.what addons to use? it seems a lot of work is needed to get games running well, i want to try sotc :D

rod said:
ok, so im about to dabble into this thing, can i get a noobs intro on 1.what to get 2.how to get it 3.how to tweak it 4.what addons to use? it seems a lot of work is needed to get games running well, i want to try sotc :D
It's not as hard as it seems, you'll basically need the emulator and plugins from the homepage, from there you can find tweaks from the forums. The most important thing in the end is a good CPU and GPU, although these last few versions with the speed hacks have made things alot faster.

Jirotrom

I'm having some serious trouble with this emulator,
I can't get a game to run at all. The PS2 loads up but just shows 2 memory cards. I've tried several discs, anyone know what I can do?

f@luS

More than a member.
sorry to bump this thread but id like to know

C2D 6750@ 3.2ghz.
Vista with 4gb
Radeon 4850 with a little O/C

can i run some ps2 games at full framerate ?

I really would like to play my Zoe 2 DVD in the 1st place....some tenkaichi too !

but im lost. too many plugins, versions...

f@luS said:
sorry to bump this thread but id like to know

C2D 6750@ 3.2ghz.
Vista with 4gb
Radeon 4850 with a little O/C

can i run some ps2 games at full framerate ?

I really would like to play my Zoe 2 DVD in the 1st place....some tenkaichi too !

but im lost. too many plugins, versions...
Ive personally played Tenkaichi 3 full speed on a weaker 2.6GHz C2D, 2GB Vista Geforce 8600 GT system on an old build perfectly. That was around Playground pre-100 (About 75)
Theyre now on revision 671 and have gotten an incredible smattering of games working perfectly. Tons of speedups. Tons of bg fixes. Much more accurate emulation

I've heard that about 60-75% of the more popular games are perfect now.

Picture from the emu running @ almost 100% speed
1.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Try as I might, I can't get my copy of FFXII to work smoothly in PCSX2.

I have a Q6600, 4GB of Ram, nVidia 9800GTX+ and I'm running XP Pro (32bit).

Has anyone been able to get it running at 100%? And if so, what settings are you using?

bee

Rez>You said:
Try as I might, I can't get my copy of FFXII to work smoothly in PCSX2.

I have a Q6600, 4GB of Ram, nVidia 9800GTX+ and I'm running XP Pro (32bit).

Has anyone been able to get it running at 100%? And if so, what settings are you using?

works perfect for me, use latest Gsdx HERE set to hmm dx10, internal res i think 2400 x 1350 and vsync on. get the latest playground build and play around with the speed hacks, make sure dual core is enabled and set denormals to zero etc

pizzaguysrevenge said:
Perfect God of War emulation or bust.

its getting there slowly, 1st one has come along way, think it works at around 40fps now but is still very buggy

-MB- said:
A shame they aren't intending to make it benefit from quadcore more :/

if you read their comments its far from easy to implement in a way that would gain you more than like 0.5fps, the software renderer on gsdx uses it though and provides a much more accurate emulation of some titles although obviously a lot slower for now

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
bee said:
works perfect for me, use latest Gsdx HERE set to hmm dx10, internal res i think 2400 x 1350 and vsync on. get the latest playground build and play around with the speed hacks, make sure dual core is enabled and set denormals to zero etc
Thank you!

Xavien

Baloonatic said:
Anyone got any recommended settings for FFX? I've managed to get it running but the sound is a bit glitchy.

I also have the same stuttering sound for Kingdom Hearts II, with the speedhacks it's pretty much solid 60fps though, if only the sound could be fixed.

MNC

You guys should download the playground version, not the official download. Awesome performance increase.

http://www.pcsx2.net/files/12025

Games run great with it. No more need for a backwards compatible PS3 or a PS2, using this and buying only the PS2 games for the win! You need a decent rig, but nothing ginormous.

Visit their forums, and you can download the SVN releases for the Playground. DO IT NOW FOR MAXIMUM POWER.
Edit: Erm, I'm not sure if it's safe for me to recommend an emulator, but then again I remember that emulator discussion is fine as long as it doesn't link to warez or roms/isos.

MNC said:
You guys should download the playground version, not the official download. Awesome performance increase.

http://www.pcsx2.net/files/12025

Games run great with it. No more need for a backwards compatible PS3 or a PS2, using this and buying only the PS2 games for the win! You need a decent rig, but nothing ginormous.

Visit their forums, and you can download the SVN releases for the Playground. DO IT NOW FOR MAXIMUM POWER.

Hmm, I can't get the VM version to run with that for some reason, but I actually get acceptable fps in the TLB version. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom