• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bee

ahhh i wondered how long it'd be before the stretching police would show up, press f6 and you have 4:3/stretch/16:9 options

now all we need is the anti emulation police for the set

EGM92 said:
Anyone able to compare x86 builds vs x64 builds in performance?

x64 builds were slower and hence discontinued

ausoff2

Neo Member
Eiji said:
6jul442.jpg

Remember how BAD this looked on a real ps2? FFX is probably THE game with the biggest need for AA.

Tain

ahhh i wondered how long it'd be before the stretching police would show up, press f6 and you have 4:3/stretch/16:9 options

don't compare us stretching police to those crazies

Bee, I noticed that you've got your fps locked at 60, however when I do that the games run way too fast so I have to set it to 50. Any idea why that is?

bee

Baloonatic said:
Bee, I noticed that you've got your fps locked at 60, however when I do that the games run way too fast so I have to set it to 50. Any idea why that is?

the game doesn't run at a constant 60 by any means, when its running around the limit its bouncing around 58-62 but theres periods of big slowdown and a few sound glitches, that 60.00fps is just pure luck :p i certainly wouldn't say its fully playable for now

run limit in cpu frame limiting and not vu skip + custom frame limit and it auto detects what your game should run at max, always worked for me

nubbe said:
I get no AA in FFX on my 4870~~~ ;_;

both zerogs and gsdx gfx plugins work great for this game it really is the poster child game for it. i finished the game start to finish using this emu, using zerogs select 4xaa or 8xaa or if you use gsdx ramp up the internal resolution to fairly insane levels although there's another way to force aa with gsdx, bit complicated though read it HERE

EGM92

bee said:

x64 builds were slower and hence discontinued

Really? I remember reading a long time ago that x64 builds on a proper x64 OS would yield better results as the code could take advantage of the chips archtiecture or some such.

Is Kingdom Hearts II Playable? That game looks like sex on the PS2, with the AA and what not that would make it look awesomely awesome on the PC.

zbarron

Baloonatic said:
Is the game PAL by any chance?

bee said:
the game doesn't run at a constant 60 by any means, when its running around the limit its bouncing around 58-62 but theres periods of big slowdown and a few sound glitches, that 60.00fps is just pure luck :p i certainly wouldn't say its fully playable for now

run limit in cpu frame limiting and not vu skip + custom frame limit and it auto detects what your game should run at max, always worked for me

both zerogs and gsdx gfx plugins work great for this game it really is the poster child game for it. i finished the game start to finish using this emu, using zerogs select 4xaa or 8xaa or if you use gsdx ramp up the internal resolution to fairly insane levels although there's another way to force aa with gsdx, bit complicated though read it HERE

Oh ok then, thanks.

I just tried Kingdom Hearts 1 and my framerate really sucks on it. Then I noticed that only around 15% of my CPU is getting used, same with every other game. Is that normal?

Edit: I enabled patches and it works a treat =D

zbarron

MoogPaul said:
I'm finding their site a little confusing to follow, but this thing needs a pretty diesel computer to run, no?
Pretty much. Nothing too absurd but it needed to be a gaming PC at at least some point.

vareon

Dang, I can't get a smooth 60 fps on FFX. Looks like my PC's not powerful enough. Is there any tricks to keep it at 100% while locking it on a lower fps, like perhaps 40 or 30?

EGM92

vareon said:
Dang, I can't get a smooth 60 fps on FFX. Looks like my PC's not powerful enough. Is there any tricks to keep it at 100% while locking it on a lower fps, like perhaps 40 or 30?

Mutli Core CPU with a lot of Cache helps a great deal. i7 945 keeps FFX well above 100fps and is completely unplayable at that speed :lol

~Kinggi~

Banned
So, does this emulator play all ps2 games? Or just a select few? It certainly looks interesting, especially the premise of AA on my games...

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
~Kinggi~ said:
So, does this emulator play all ps2 games? Or just a select few? It certainly looks interesting, especially the premise of AA on my games...
You can check the status of games in the Compatibility section on the site.

I wish my PC could run this :/

Salmonax

I couldn't get this to work at all - it spews line after line of numbers into a DOS box and hangs. I tried following the guide, updating the plugins, etc. As someone with a decent PS2 collection and a BC-less PS3, this could be amazing.

Are there any obvious issues I might be overlooking?

Mamesj

Banned
octopusman said:
I have a 2.4 Ghz processor and 3 gigs of ram, plus a 8800 GTX, will this run good?

processor is a little low, but you could probably run plenty of games.

It's all very game dependent.

I couldn't get this to work at all - it spews line after line of numbers into a DOS box and hangs. I tried following the guide, updating the plugins, etc. As someone with a decent PS2 collection and a BC-less PS3, this could be amazing.

Are there any obvious issues I might be overlooking?

no bios? wrong dvd plug-in? it's hard to say. try disabling any special things in the graphics plug-in settings.

EGM92

octopusman said:
I have a 2.4 Ghz processor and 3 gigs of ram, plus a 8800 GTX, will this run good?
processor model? just saying 2.4ghz means nothing, I have a celeron at 2.9ghz and it won't be able to run this. PCSX2 is VERY CPU heavy because it's emulating multiple processors inside the PS2. The more cores your CPU has the better.

Mamesj

Banned
EGM92 said:
processor model? just saying 2.4ghz means nothing, I have a celeron at 2.9ghz and it won't be able to run this. PCSX2 is VERY CPU heavy because it's emulating multiple processors inside the PS2. The more cores your CPU has the better.

Good point.

Octopusman - if it's a Core 2 Dup E series, you can probably safely overclock it to like 2.8ghz without extra cooling and run thing fine.

running on a phenom 9950 black edition (4x2.6ghz), 4gb ram, gf9600 gt
ffx at stable 50 fps (pal 50) with the playground release and sound is fluid too.
tried: dq8 runs fine but not as good as ffx, we love katamari pal crashes at the beginning of the video, soul calibur2 runs at 70% cpu speed, shadow of the colossus runs at 25 fps but looks more fluent as on original ps2 but a bit slower due to 50% cpu, gta vc crashes at loading screen or takes very long, disgaea 1 &2 dosnt boot anymore.
thats all i tested :) oh and the emulator uses only 3 cpu cores which arent even at max usage.

GaussTek

Do I have a chance with this emu and a X2 4400+ (2.3GHz) and a 9400GT ?... :lol

I know it's a pretty old rig, but I would like to know if I can play FFX (it seems it runs very fast on most PC's) and maybe FFXII at playable speeds.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
My new laptop will be starving for this emulator :D

All this talk about FFX makes me wanna play it. I've never played it before is it good?

Also, anyone tried Ridge Racer V and OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast? How do they run?

DieH@rd

Banned
In few days i will upgrade my pc rig. How will this emulator work on Athlon 6000+, 2gigs of ram and Radeon 3850?

Has anyone got God Hand working? I swear it was working yesterday but I must have changed something and now my fps is laughable.

syllogism

Persona 4 seems to run very well even on my mid-range stock clocked e6600. 60fps most of the time and only drops to 40+ during busy school scenes.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
syllogism said:
Persona 4 seems to run very well even on my mid-range stock clocked e6600. 60fps most of the time and only drops to 40+ during busy school scenes.

Yeah, Persona 4 is another game I'm thinking about playing via this emu. I'm not sure I'd want to play it on the PS2 simply because the PS2 doesn't have save states, and I hear P4 is an extremely long and challenging game. I'd definitely need to save often :D

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
isamu said:
Yeah, Persona 4 is another game I'm thinking about playing via this emu. I'm not sure I'd want to play it on the PS2 simply because the PS2 doesn't have save states, and I hear P4 is an extremely long and challenging game. I'd definitely need to save often :D
Don't worry, P4 allows to save very often. You can go back to the save point and then continue from the same floor using just a cheap item that's sold at the grocery shop.

Zenith

Banned
octopusman said:

like people said, dependent on games. the emulator was built with specifically playing Final Fantsay in mind so FFx, FF12 and such all run good. anyting fastpaced with lots of explosions and full 3D will run slow, so say goodbye to most shooters. anything slow paced like JRPGs, survival horror will run ok.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
My computer has the next specs.

-Core 2 Duo 2.4Gha

-ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro with 256MB of RAM

-2GB

-Windows XP

I would be able to run the emulator at good speed?

roxya

EGM92 said:

Do they support quad core now?

Asparagus

To get good overall speed you need at least a 3GHz cpu really. 3.4GHz+ would be ideal though as already stated, lower clocked cpus can handle some games especially with the playground releases.

Dragon Quest VIII looks amazing with this emu :D

Mamesj

Banned
Mushihime-sama and Ibara seem to run full speed, but with a really annoying audio glitch that repeats every sound effect. So you hear "Aaah, kakate-goy!" the whole time while playing Ibara :lol I could probably fix it if I screwed with settings. Playing with no sound is also an option.

Dodonpachi-daioujou is just about perfect though.

Ramenman

Meh, looks like it (the new "playground" version) doesn't want me to play from my Jak&Daxter disc.
He says something like "can't find ROM1/ROM2/eROM" etc, then launches a black screen and goes on blabering "IsoReadBlock 138837287237828>>9Z8E7Y8UIHAHAjkdjsasqll > 83" (or something) until I quit.

Should Persona 3 be a hard game to run? I've got a 4850 and a Dual Core at around 3ghz, but as soon as the game gets to actual gameplay everything is in slow motion; voices included. Is this something a tweak should fix; I admit I'm ignorant as to what all those speed options do.

Mamesj said:
Mushihime-sama and Ibara seem to run full speed, but with a really annoying audio glitch that repeats every sound effect. So you hear "Aaah, kakate-goy!" the whole time while playing Ibara :lol I could probably fix it if I screwed with settings. Playing with no sound is also an option.

Dodonpachi-daioujou is just about perfect though.
no screens of those 3:4 Tate games running in 16:9?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom