• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What a difference 6 years makes.. "How you killed your brand (SONY)- Sarcastic Gamer"

nib95

Banned
This is amazing. Weird that in a few years the PS3 might actually end up being the best selling of the 3 consoles.

Can we make a more general thread on this generation in closing?

So many memories from PS3's early life. I still remember when LBP was revealed and I thought it revolutionary.

I remember hyping Haze as the PS3's big shooter game.

Tablo

Holy shit lol
Also MS has done nothing nearly as ridiculous as Sony in 06, so inb4xboneisdoomed.

I loved that song as a teenager.

I still laugh at "...But Killzone 1, sucked befoooore."

Holy shit lol
Also MS has done nothing nearly as ridiculous as Sony in 06, so inb4xboneisdoomed.

I don't know man... besides the PS3's $599 U.S. DOLLARS fiasco, I think Sony wasn't nearly as misguided as Microsoft has been with the XBOne, albeit MS has been wise enough to pull a bunch of 180s.

I approve of this dogpile, well done GAF.

FluxWaveZ

Holy shit lol

Disagree completely. What they've done with the Xbox One this time is at least as bad as how Sony handled the PS3 back then.

Memorable song; it's funny to hear again now.

Holy shit lol
EHH?

g4Ni4aR.gif

Where have ya been for the past 6 months?

beast786

look at the like vs dislike.

Amazing how things have turnaround. Now the like vs dislike is opposite on each relative console youtube

Tablo

They have done considerably worse. Words cannot describe how much of a PR and tech blunder the Xbox One has been.

I beg to differ, digital distribution and always online is the future and has a future unlike the CELL the ps3 touted, no one disputes the Xbone is weaker than the PS4. Kinect this go around is actually viable and ready for primetime, and yes voice and gesture control is also the future for UI navigation. They suck at PR and communication, that is true, but they reversed their unpopular decisions and are making amends, and yes all companies spread stupid FUD that obfuscates the facts for stupid reasons. Finally like any company Sony will take initiative and use Xbone's blunders to move forward their own cause, any company would do that.

I completely disagree that they have done worse than the PS3, that's preposterous.

nib95

Banned
I beg to differ, digital distribution and always online is the future and has a future unlike the CELL the ps3 touted, no one disputes the Xbone is weaker than the PS4. Kinect this go around is actually viable and ready for primetime, and yes voice and gesture control is also the future for UI navigation. They suck at PR and communication, that is true, but they reversed their unpopular decisions and are making amends, and yes all companies spread stupid FUD that obfuscates the facts for stupid reasons. Finally like any company Sony will take initiative and use Xbone's blunders to move forward their own cause, any company would do that.

I completely disagree that they have done worse than the PS3, that's preposterous.

Lol.

Here's how we'll know if the Xbox One is a bigger failure than the PS3 was or not. How it eventually ends up at the end of this new generation in sales and market share, compared to how the PS3 fares right now, and will do even a few years from now.

Step one you make your console cost the most, you beat your chest and proudly boast
Despite no good exclusive games you make a bunch of arrogant claims
Try to force us to always be online, raise the price of Xbox Live
Force Kinect which I don't want, now your getting your ass kicked by the PS4

MIcrosoft you tried to 180, but we don't want to play games in 720p
I hope this song has helped you understand how you have killed your brand

Tablo

I loved that song as a teenager.

I still laugh at "...But Killzone 1, sucked befoooore."

I don't know man... besides the PS3's $599 U.S. DOLLARS fiasco, I think Sony wasn't nearly as misguided as Microsoft has been with the XBOne, albeit MS has been wise enough to pull a bunch of 180s.

I approve of this dogpile, well done GAF.

CELL is irrelevant right now, they have completely reversed their design from split pools of memory to an easy to develop system (thank you based Cerny), meanwhile the DDR3+ESRAM/EDRAM worked out well for the 360 and will work out fine for the Xbone.
Are you going to deny the inevitable proliferation of gesture/motion control, voice control, and digital distribution/cloud compute for gaming and other applications?

Dogpile is pretty accurate, fine by me, dogs make cute pets :)

NIGHT-

Step one you make your console cost the most, you beat your chest and proudly boast

Bravo!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Are you going to deny the inevitable proliferation of gesture/motion control, voice control, and digital distribution/cloud compute for gaming and other applications?

Motion control is not the future of interface interaction. I am sorry, it just isn't. I know you saw Minority Report and want that, but it is just not the future of control you think it will be.

Eusis

Holy shit lol
True... in a sense. That Sony E3 press conference was comedy gold.

But that's the thing, it was pretty bad but most of it was just hilarious crap that wouldn't REALLY matter in the long run, only the price points. Microsoft's screw ups at E3 period were mostly alamring, and the more innocent ones weren't quite as funny. Nevermind that in part Sony was depending on a strategy that served them well in the past (use the next Playstation to leverage a new format for both games and movies to in the long run enable bigger games, and in the short term sell a movie player) that actually was still reasonably solid this time around given blu-rays are fairly common and games are bursting at the seams under the limits of DVD. Too bad blu-ray was a little too early to be REALLY relevant.
That video dissing Resistance and KS2? What what?
In regards to KZ2 specifically: think about the points the video brought up, it's a sequel to a game that had above average at best scores and looked to be more like the PS3's Ryse or something, a very pretty game that wasn't particularly great or memorable. Yet while it didn't revolutionize shooters it DID do well, and regardless something like your average shooter innately has sufficient gameplay meat on its bones.

Tablo

Motion control is not the future of interface interaction. I am sorry, it just isn't. I know you saw Minority Report and want that, but it is just not the future of control you think it will be.

I've never even watched Minority Report, and you really think we're not going to get to a point where subtle gestures and eye tracking will be the optimal way to navigate UI? What's your endgame then? Touch is not the be all end all, I'll give you a hint, MS' modern UI is meant to be good for more than touch ;)

USC-fan

Banned
As someone that been on gaf since before the x360 launch. It very funny how people think the site is sonygaf or whatever.

People just have short memory or just too young to remember what it was like during the ps360 launches.

KoopaTheCasual

As long as you keep denying the proliferation of blu-ray and built in wireless. It's funny that you actually believe the only thing Sony had going for the PS3 was the CELL. That's as short sighted as saying the only thing Microsoft has going for it was the restriction of physical media (which was an astronomically bigger blunder). Try to evaluate all of the sides.

Eusis

I've never even watched Minority Report, and you really think we're not going to get to a point where subtle gestures and eye tracking will be the optimal way to navigate UI? What's your endgame then? Touch is not the be all end all, I'll give you a hint, MS' modern UI is meant to be good for more than touch ;)
When humans vary as much as they do? When some are partially paralyzed but can still use their hands well? When diseases like Parkinson's exists? At best it's an option, not THE way.

(Ok, a Curb your Enthusiasm clip probably isn't the best way to show off the disease, but what IS a computer to think if you have involuntary movements on a regular basis?)

corn_fest

Haha, I was just thinking of this video the other day. It's stuck in my mind pretty well.
The PS3 was really in a bad place after launch. I remember basically every media outlet and even the official Playstation forums being really down on it. It's amazing how they've turned it around.

Biker19

Banned
MS has done nothing nearly as ridiculous as Sony in 06, so inb4xboneisdoomed.

Really? MS has done a lot worse with Xbox One today than what Sony did with the PS3 back in 2006.

I beg to differ, digital distribution and always online is the future

Nobody wants to not sell & trade their games (do you even realize how big the used gaming market is?), nor do people want a platform in which you have to be online at all times in order to play games. That's not gonna fly within many people like us.

Arklite

Crazy times back then, and Sony wasn't helping their case with their messaging. If the internet doesn't like what you're doing it'll let you know very loudly, harshly, and persistently. Surprisingly we got to re-live a similar scenario this year.

nib95

Banned

Damn son. Record the song.

daman824

Lol.

Here's how we'll know if the Xbox One is a bigger failure than the PS3 was or not. How it eventually ends up at the end of this new generation in sales and market share, compared to how the PS3 fares right now, and will do even a few years from now.
How much of a market share change did we see between the ps2 and ps3?

KoopaTheCasual

Sony started getting their shit together pretty quickly after launch, wonder if it will be the same for X1.

Technically the X1 is getting it's shit together even faster, since the console isn't even out yet, and it's had a complete image overhaul. To that, I give lots of credit. If they will continue to show that flexibility, now that is the question.

CELL is irrelevant right now, they have completely reversed their design from split pools of memory to an easy to develop system (thank you based Cerny), meanwhile the DDR3+ESRAM/EDRAM worked out well for the 360 and will work out fine for the Xbone.

Dogpile is pretty accurate, fine by me, dogs make cute pets :)

You're throwing a bunch of features at me as if this some how suggests that Microsoft's handling of the XBO is better than Sony's handling of the PS3. Gesture/motion/voice controls range from annoying to fun/useful, but they're hardly massive selling points, at least not as far as I can tell. I cannot see how you can argue that MS has a better digital distribution system than Sony in the present day, and I don't see how PS3 had a poor showing for digital distribution (besides the Sony account hack fiasco a few years ago). Cloud computing is a non-factor until it is proven useful/worthwhile, which I don't think has been done yet.

I'm still not sure how any of this relates to the argument at hand; we're saying that the PS3 launch was less fumbled than the XBO launch. Microsoft is launching the XBO in few countries, did massive amounts of flip-flopping in the months leading up to launch, is priced $100 more than the competition while maintaining clearly weaker hardware, and yet some how this is a better showing that PS3's launch? The PS3 wasn't designed perfectly, I'll concede that point, and it was certainly expensive, but at the end of the day you could spend $500 and get the cheapest Bluray player on the market (by far) that also happened to be the arguably most powerful console ever built (at the time) with full hardware-based backwards compatibility with the PS2.

Microsoft is botching the XBO launch more than the Sony botched the PS3 launch. It's practically a fact.

nib95

Banned
How much of a market share change did we see between the ps2 and ps3?

That is but one factor. You can't expect them to keep such a dominant leadership consistently each and every generation. Different market factors, releases, competitors and all the rest. The market leader has switched several times already over the decades and will continue to do so going forward. Nintendo, Sega, Sony etc. Thus far, the only one of them that hasn't been able to lead a generation is Microsoft.

Fact of the matter is, Sony spun it around with the PS3, are second this generation and will continue to sell fairly strong, and look to be entering the new generation with by far the biggest momentum.

Top Bottom