• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [November] Now Voting - Post 720!

Moobabe

Gonna start researching for my next article tomorrow/thursday but I need to narrow it down from a choice of the following:

Alice - Looking at how Madness Returns fits into the canon, whether or not it's a worthwhile addition to the canon etc

Krater - Interview/article about how and why Krater is the greatest game of all time and no-one knew it. What were their aims, where did it go wrong etc

Demigod - Interview/article about how and why Demigod is the second greatest game of all time.

Bioshock - My favourite game series of all time. Why it works, why it doesn't, why Rapture is the greatest game environment of all time. Basically why Bioshock is pro. If I could interview Ken Levine I'd probably shit myself.

Gone Home - A part 3 in my Dear Esther/Proteus series. What are it's influences, why it fits the time period so well, what it accomplishes in it's 3 hour life of nothing but walking.

These are all rough, obviously, and require varying amounts of research/playtime/writing but I'd be interested to see what you guys prefer.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Gonna start researching for my next article tomorrow/thursday but I need to narrow it down from a choice of the following:

Alice - Looking at how Madness Returns fits into the canon, whether or not it's a worthwhile addition to the canon etc

Krater - Interview/article about how and why Krater is the greatest game of all time and no-one knew it. What were their aims, where did it go wrong etc

Demigod - Interview/article about how and why Demigod is the second greatest game of all time.

Bioshock - My favourite game series of all time. Why it works, why it doesn't, why Rapture is the greatest game environment of all time. Basically why Bioshock is pro. If I could interview Ken Levine I'd probably shit myself.

Gone Home - A part 3 in my Dear Esther/Proteus series. What are it's influences, why it fits the time period so well, what it accomplishes in it's 3 hour life of nothing but walking.

These are all rough, obviously, and require varying amounts of research/playtime/writing but I'd be interested to see what you guys prefer.

If you want many clicks, go with Bioshock. It would be lovely to read for me, but I am also honestly curious about your Demigod/Krater pieces because I have no clue how you can possibly state that without any sort of hyperbole.

Moobabe

If you want many clicks, go with Bioshock. It would be lovely to read for me, but I am also honestly curious about your Demigod/Krater pieces because I have no clue how you can possibly state that without any sort of hyperbole.

I'll fight you, and if I win Krater is the best ever.

Alice is worth playing, but man Madness Returns is a must play from start to finish. The combat is tight with the horse hammer being my favourite weapon, the platforming is appropriately tough because of no ledge grab, and the world variety is a great motivation to keep playing. The buildup in the storytelling towards the 5th chapter with the Dollhouse (some of the coolest level design ever) is super disturbing, and has easily one of the most emotionally powerful endings in a game for me.

Still the best hair physics in a game.

Also, triple jump!
is9jfelP0i2GW.gif

Moobabe

Alice is worth playing, but man Madness Returns is a must play from start to finish. The combat is tight with the horse hammer being my favourite weapon, the platforming is appropriately tough because of no ledge grab, and the world variety is a great motivation to keep playing. The buildup in the storytelling towards the 5th chapter with the Dollhouse (some of the coolest level design ever) is super disturbing, and has easily one of the most emotionally powerful endings in a game for me.

Still the best hair physics in a game.

Also, triple jump!

I've still not finished it - I've heard it's pretty long though! I think the Alice project would take me the most time - I'd want to re-read Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, maybe Carroll's biography before working out where I see Madness Returns, if I could do, as part of the broader Alice stories.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I've still not finished it - I've heard it's pretty long though! I think the Alice project would take me the most time - I'd want to re-read Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, maybe Carroll's biography before working out where I see Madness Returns, if I could do, as part of the broader Alice stories.

Well, you'd sort of need to play through the first Alice as well then, wouldnt you? The discussion on where each of those titles stand in contrast/comparison to the original works and especially the discussion on whether they differ much in that regard is probably going to be a really interesting one.

daydream

Banned

You could go all out and look at other Alice games as well. There was the weird Alice no Paint Adventure (Super Famicom exclusive, for some reason) and a platformer on the Gameboy Colour. Also, the DS game based on the Burton adaptation is pretty good.

It would make sense to reread the books if you haven't in a long time. Always a pleasure to revisit them. Not sure why you'd want to add a biography on top of that, though, the texts speak for themselves.

----

So, I've been playing Soundodger+. The game got kind of a bad rap in the last Indie thread iirc. I think it's worth it a) for the soundtrack b) for the auto-gen mode (which allows you to use your own mp3s) c) for playing it in short bursts. You can try a free version of it here (Browser, Flash).

M1o5bjp.gif

^Also, hubris doesn't get you very far.

Moobabe

You could go all out and look at other Alice games as well. There was the weird Alice no Paint Adventure (Super Famicom exclusive, for some reason) and a platformer on the Gameboy Colour. Also, the DS game based on the Burton adaptation is pretty good.

It would make sense to reread the books if you haven't in a long time. Always a pleasure to revisit them. Not sure why you'd want to add a biography on top of that, though, the texts speak for themselves.

----

The biography could be an interesting side note. Certainly the texts speak for themselves, but because Alice is based on a real person it'd be interesting to see what happened to her (considering the McGee games focus on her after Wonderland.) Even if it didn't make it into the article itself, but for my own interest.

And you're right - initially I thought I'd just focus on Madness Returns, but to do it right I'd have to hit everything.

SeanNoonan

Demon Drum

I played it for a bit and enjoyed it so far but I have a complaints, let me start with the what I like in the game, you being a Japanese demon(?) is really cool and I welcome any games with oriental aesthetic or games that explore others mythologies, the music is really cool and is able to pass the oriental vibe of the game, the character design is really cool and very well made as well the spirits and the loading screens. You can acquire different spirits to help you overcome the obstacles on the levels each one have different abilities.

My main gripe with the game is the art in the levels, so far they look bland and not inspired. It could be really cool if it followed that aesthetic in the Japanese scrolls, but since it's a students game I'll give it a pass.

WjNJnhe.gif

DmAB9N3.gif

UuJVMEK.gif

daydream

Banned
I feel kinda bad plugging my stuff here... but whatever :D
My entry...
Jack B. Nimble

No need to feel bad. We love to see games by fellow GAFfers! And good job with your entry! I like the simple one button gameplay going on. The music could be right out of a Castlevania game.

I will have to check out some of the other entries as well, since I'm a sucker for that classic Gameboy aesthetic. There's no way I'm not gonna check out Two Brothers eventually, which released today.

SeanNoonan

No need to feel bad. We love to see games by fellow GAFfers! And good job with your entry! I like the simple one button gameplay going on. The music could be right out of a Castlevania game.

I will have to check out some of the other entries as well, since I'm a sucker for that classic Gameboy aesthetic. There's no way I'm not gonna check out Two Brothers eventually, which released today.
Yeah, it's my first go at something "indie". Watch_Dogs can advertise itself, but a wee single button running game with a Game Boy aesthetic... ehhhh ;D

Feedback is totally welcome too :) I'm looking to resolve the compatibility issues and get it working on iPhone again (I totally broke it before I submitted the version).

What do you guys think of Edgar? I love the pixel art and the whole aesthetic and premise is just awesome IMO
--
And anyone checking out the Humble Storefront? They weren't kidding about new deals daily, but I wonder how long they can keep that up
--
Also my list of upcoming Kickstarters to back continues to grow:
Path of Shadows
Scraps
Edgar
Rain World
Darkest Dungeon

Now I'm backing one or two and that's going to be one tough decision

I feel kinda bad plugging my stuff here... but whatever :D

There was a game jam this month, which may or may not lead to some new indie titles - more here: http://www.gbjam.net/ along with the highlights here: http://indiestatik.com/2013/11/12/game-boy-jam-2/

My entry...
Jack B. Nimble

jack_b_nimble_box_art_small.png

jackbnimble_screen_1.png
jackbnimble_screen_3.png

jackbnimble_screen_3.png
jackbnimble_screen_4.png

Available here.

Works best in Google Chrome...

Edit: Well that's embarrassing - my server just went down.
Mirrored here if the other links fail: http://www.indiedb.com/games/jack-b-nimble

It looks good, I may play it later.

daydream

Banned
Yeah, it's my first go at something "indie". Watch_Dogs can advertise itself, but a wee single button running game with a Game Boy aesthetic... ehhhh ;D

Feedback is totally welcome too :) I'm looking to resolve the compatibility issues and get it working on iPhone again (I totally broke it before I submitted the version).

You could always expand with more areas, characters, etc. if you wanted to. The only thing that bugged me, really, is that tight jumps (of which there are very few) end up being very difficult due to the whip being triggered instead of the jump. Definitely seems like a good fit for iOS, though!

In other news, I should listen to Toma next time, especially when he's beating the drum with such insistence.

SeanNoonan

You could always expand with more areas, characters, etc. if you wanted to. The only thing that bugged me, really, is that tight jumps (of which there are very few) end up being very difficult due to the whip being triggered instead of the jump. Definitely seems like a good fit for iOS, though!
Funny you should say that - there was an alternate character based on the main character from the a game I made at the Ubisoft game jam who would toss bottles rather than whip, but I didn't finish the scripting in time for the GBJAM deadline.

As for the whipping issues, I heard that from some other people who tested it too - so you aren't alone ;D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just wanted to drop by and say Nuclear Throne is still fantastic despite changing it's name from Wasteland Kings.

Toma

Just finished Gunpoint. Seriously amazing. One of my favorite games I've played this year.
Definitely another good one, kinda surprised the OT died so fast despite so many people buying and liking it and it having a level editor, but oh well.

Toma

More_Bore!

Seriously though, anyone here without a Full Bore key still?

Toma

Shamefully raise my hand and hide in the corner.

But since I dont plan to play it right now I'm not worried.

Check your PMs, you have been bribed so we all can look forward to part 2 together :p

Top Bottom