• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolor

Just played some Company of Heroes 2 last night, and boy, what a let down...

I played 30+ hours of CoH 1, and I've put about 2.5 hours into the CoH2 campaign, and I've been been able to control tanks for maybe 10 minutes. Otherwise, it's just infantry. Maybe I'm just some bro strategy gamer, but when I think of WWII strategy, I want to play tank battles augmented by infantry. Not just a bunch of infantry skirmishes.

The pace is much more frenetic with new objectives immediately replacing old objectives which is not at all what I liked about the first game (which I loved). Many times, the new objectives need to be responded to so quickly that you have to be ready for the next objectives before you even know of them. In other words, prepare to replay a few missions.

It sure looks pretty, and that is nice.

There are unreasonable difficulty spikes, and the new mechanic is that your troops freeze to death if they aren't near a fire or inside. When does that become fun? Especially when the mechanics of going in and out of buildings is less than smooth and intuitive.

The biggest complaint with this game from the reviews I read was that it was just more of the same CoH formula, but that's not it at all. I would have liked that given how much I liked the first one. It's just a prettier but ultimately less fun game.

I don't mind spending some money on it because I basically love everything Relic touches, but I am sure glad I didn't pay full price.

I will try some more of it before I put it down completely. But with X: Rebirth now available, I'm not sure when I'll get to it. It surely won't be CoH2 that is compelling me to keep going with it though. It's my respect for Relic and what they did with CoH1 that will make me give the game another chance.

Parsnip

Even with that, it needs far more tweaking than should be necessary to get it at a decent speed. Had to fiddle with the multiplier thingy several times to get a playable speed.
For me the multiplier thingy would crash the game constantly.
Ended up overclocking my cpu to the desired speed instead, after that it played relatively crash free.

It's still a horrible version of the game, even after all the community patching. Moving to SR3 straight from SR2 was mind blowing.

Happy birthday!

Hope you have a happy birthday!

Happy bday, now how old and crusty are you now? :p
Thanks, I'm 25 years old and I hope for a lot more years to come.

On topic:

One thing that I dislike in Risk of Rain is you needing to use the mouse to navigate through the menus, the mouse isn't used in nothing during the gameplay but for some strange reason I cant use the keyboard or the gamepad in the menu.

The difficult makes so much difference in the game, started a new game in the easiest settings and I reached the 4th stage so far, this kinda reminds me of FTL difficult settings.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I'm pretty sure that even 3% fee is way less than conversions where $=€
Oh, you were talking about price fixing, not currency conversion. Yeah, that tactic is shitty.

What I was talking about is...like, Chipzel wants £7 for her latest album. But I'm in the US, so I have to convert from dollars to pounds at some point. If I have PayPal do the conversion from USD to GBP, it costs me less than if my bank does it because of the fee.

EDIT: Thinking about it, Amazon Japan would have been a better choice for an example because they're a retailer, not a money-exchanging service.

Joe Molotov

Earth 2140 sounds amazingly accurate:

Australia and most parts of Africa were sacrificed during the long wars, which lasted several decades. Highly toxic biological and chemical weapons were developed on these continents, leaving them so badly contaminated, that no human life can survive there.

Caerith

If it makes you feel any better, Risen 2 and Dead Island are horrid. Saints Row 2 is pretty much unplayable on pc regardless of your machine.

Saints Row 3 and Metro 2033 were the only good games out of that bundle and they are probably going to be extremely cheap during the autumn/winter sales.
tumblr_m3bduzqGzR1rsawgno1_500.gif

I really enjoyed Risen and Risen 2. I enjoyed Risen 2 a lot more. It isn't perfect, but what is? And it's the best pirate game that's likely to ever be made (although Monkey Island and Sid Meier's deserve honorable mentions).

Anyway, speaking of THQ.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway gives preference to GAF Gold members.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Darksiders 2 -- MB-76ACC2210C406DCE - Taken by Cody_D165. 36 entrants total.
Homefront -- MB-53C7862009C74C82 - Taken by bloke. 28 entrants total.
Saints Row 2 -- MB-CDAB3C7DFF2C3D4F - Taken by Anustart. 11 entrants total.
Darksiders -- MB-3CEB95C9B2B57FC1 - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon. 18 entrants total.
Metro 2033 -- MB-17417A7FBADE8CC8 - Taken by woo and indeed hoo. 9 entrants total.

t1384540078z1.png

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Since the game was on a ridiculously low sale, I figured I might as well throw a few copies in here since I really, really, really like this game. If you end up getting the game, I would appreciate if you could hop over into the thread and post some impressions:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689201

ModBot said:
I am giving away 19 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Full Bore -- MB-F65CE9F65028DAD6 - Taken by Xanathus. 5 entrants total.
Full Bore #18 -- MB-79BF525A9246377C - Taken by Dio Brando. 2 entrants total.
Full Bore #19 -- MB-0851FD1EB5178A45 - Taken by topyy. 2 entrants total.
Full Bore #16 -- MB-31DA98B2E0062217 - Taken by AsylumX. 3 entrants total.
Full Bore #17 -- MB-BE840622308160D0 - Taken by chiym1992. 3 entrants total.
Full Bore #14 -- MB-DFA8421549EB0595 - Taken by IblisGinjo. 2 entrants total.
Full Bore #15 -- MB-42F9D98BF51B4DC6 - Taken by TheFightingFish. 5 entrants total.
Full Bore #12 -- MB-E46E5330F261EBC0 - Taken by Mr. Poolman. 2 entrants total.
Full Bore #13 -- MB-12D05B57F93D2759 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 7 entrants total.
Full Bore #10 -- MB-F41309E8616A7E9A - Taken by Hawkie. 3 entrants total.
Full Bore #11 -- MB-AD418D8465AA2D6B - Taken by xenoflux2113. 8 entrants total.
Full Bore #8 -- MB-B87062B477E05E2B - Taken by Tellaerin. 9 entrants total.
Full Bore #9 -- MB-2D14DACDFB8B9A90 - Taken by Alessandro. 5 entrants total.
Full Bore #4 -- MB-0B618C854F5A5B25 - Taken by MKUltra. 11 entrants total.
Full Bore #5 -- MB-45B2723284E11155 - Taken by Aitor. 6 entrants total.
Full Bore #6 -- MB-8C021D920550D6AD - Taken by gabrielt16. 5 entrants total.
Full Bore #7 -- MB-A1E84057D741FDF6 - Taken by NaM. 6 entrants total.
Full Bore #2 -- MB-6A7534C67F4B6E7F - Taken by almostheathen. 1 entrants total.
Full Bore #3 -- MB-0F49E40B0A413CA1 - Taken by KenOD. 4 entrants total.

t1384540933z1.png

Here is a short quote from the description:
sPptgHK.png

Deep underground lies a reminder of Boarkinds darkest hours. All it takes is one little boar to dig it back up. A block puzzler with an exploratory twist, Full Bore throws the player into an open world filled with crumbling mines, arcane ruins, and technological wonders with only curiosity to lead the way. This world is packed to the brim with secrets and hidden rooms, because when everything is made of blocks, puzzles could be anywhere.

Full Bore rewards curiosity and thought. The player is free to explore a large open world, where they can find secret treasures and uncover mysteries by solving puzzles built into the environment. The game world is made of many different block types, and each type has its own unique behavior. Some blocks are simple and can be pushed or dug out, while others are complex machines that move on their own. Interaction between different blocks creates new and different barriers and bridges for the player, with each new block building on the challenges of the previous blocks. As the player explores, they encounter and master new blocks, which in turn allows the player to open new paths. This means that the ability to explore is based primarily on what the player has learned about the world, and not a sequence of arbitrary goals.

If you want to buy a copy on sale yourself, you can do that here for the next 12 hours:
https://indiegamestand.com/

To register the keys, you need to create an IndieGamestand account. After you set up the account and put in the key, you can either download the installer or get the Desura key. Once the game has been greenlit, your Indiegamestand purchase will update with a Steam key.

Have fun guys.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Since the game was on a ridiculously low sale, I figured I might as well throw a few copies in here. If you end up getting the game, I would appreciate if you could hop over into the thread and post some impressions:

If you want to buy a copy yourself, you can do that here:

To register the keys, you need to create an IndieGamestand account. After you set up the account and put in the key, you can either download the installer or get the Desura key. Once the game has been greenlit, your Indiegamestand purchase will update with a Steam key.

Have fun guys.

Hard to miss a recommendation by someone with your avatar, thanks.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
tumblr_m3bduzqGzR1rsawgno1_500.gif

I really enjoyed Risen and Risen 2. I enjoyed Risen 2 a lot more. It isn't perfect, but what is? And it's the best pirate game that's likely to ever be made (although Monkey Island and Sid Meier's deserve honorable mentions).

Anyway, speaking of THQ.

Gaf Gold strikes again. Where do I put in my application to apply for Gaf gold illuminati?

Since the game was on a ridiculously low sale, I figured I might as well throw a few copies in here since I really, really, really like this game. If you end up getting the game, I would appreciate if you could hop over into the thread and post some impressions:

Have fun guys.

This is a Metroidvania game with a Boar right?
This sound like my kind of game :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
This is a Metroidvania game with a Boar right?
This sound like my kind of game :)

I was stretching it a bit with the Metroid comparison, but it made for a good title, and it is sort of open world in where the skills you receive to unlock other areas are only your own raised improved abilities. It felt like Metroidvania progression to me because I was wandering around and suddenly might stumble over the knowledge how to solve an area I passed earlier by learning a certain puzzle solving approach that I could have used right from the start, but wasn't good enough for yet.

I was stretching it a bit with the Metroid comparison, but it made for a good title, and it is sort of open world in where the skills you receive to unlock other areas are only your own raised improved abilities. It felt like Metroidvania progression to me because I was wandering around and suddenly might stumble over the knowledge how to solve an area I passed earlier by learning a certain puzzle solving approach that I could have used right from the start, but wasn't good enough for yet.

Well you got my attention with this :)
The art looks cute as well.

Freezard

Just played some Company of Heroes 2 last night, and boy, what a let down...

Yeah, I was let down too when I got it on release. I've never played CoH online, for me the game is about the campaigns. But I stopped playing pretty quickly cause it was basically the same game but worse, a ton of defense missions made the pace even slower and the troops freezing feature was ridiculous. The worst thing was how Relic portrayed the Soviet and Stalin though, it was such bullshit.

Khronico

ModBot said:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:

AI War -- MB-0122C6E388A8EA4D - Taken by Japle

Here's a little something.

Khronico

Have fun guys.

Thanks Toma! This giveaway is a good chance to see if I like the game.

Cody_D165

Banned

Have fun guys.

Gonna pick a number and hope it's lucky :)

Game looks awesome.

Japle

Neo Member
Big thanks, Khronico! Time to give some back.

ModBot said:

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Nightsky Steam Key: -- MB-E59AE3F7BB72B30F - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Splice Steam Key -- MB-2E790FE87E1A84BF - Taken by Terra_Ex. 2 entrants total.
Cogs Steam Key -- MB-2A9F83BB1D656AE0 - Taken by Motorbreath. 1 entrants total.

t1384533240z1.png

Tizoc

Well it's not within my budget atm, but here is a Greenmangaming code that will work A. Creed IV, AC4 Season Pass and AC4 Deluxe Edition.
Note that the game only uses uPlay and is not a Steam code IIRC.
Just quote this post and you should see the code, please let me know if you've used it/ redeemed by replying or PMing me-

This code will expire on the 18th of Nov.!

Jawmuncher

Steam why you gotta screw me over with the connecting to steam account nonsense.
get a new registry thing still didnt fix it.

EDIT: OH NOW YOU WANNA WORK

Dolor

Well it's not within my budget atm, but here is a Greenmangaming code that will work A. Creed IV, AC4 Season Pass and AC4 Deluxe Edition.
Note that the game only uses uPlay and is not a Steam code IIRC.
Just quote this post and you should see the code, please let me know if you've used it/ redeemed by replying or PMing me-

This code will expire on the 18th of Nov.!

I wonder why there's no Uplay thread to post this in ;).

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Slipping to the third page. One day into the new console cycle, and PC gaming is already dead. I hope Gabe saved those pennies he shaved off of my card sales.

Slacker

Slipping to the third page. One day into the new console cycle, and PC gaming is already dead. I hope Gabe saved those pennies he shaved off of my card sales.

We'll get some coverage when DayZ comes out, assuming it's going to come out at soome point. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom