• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation Network hacked?

qko

This thread title is alarmist. It's like when you ask if google is down. Before you go claiming that there was a system wide hack its probably better to not say that in the title.

The thread should be locked down and never spoken of again.

Portugeezer

pCQIY3M.png

So because you had some dodgy problems you think it's hacked for everyone?

C'mon, son.

smr00

Banned
I just deleted my Card off my Account...Since amazon is doing the digital store now i just will buy through them
Pretty much this.

Although i have never stored my card on PSN. Whenever i would buy anything off PSN (or 360) i would proceed to delete all my billing info and card. I do the same with Amazon and all the online stores because there is that small chance of someone getting into your account.

Zoe

You know you can add funds with a credit card and then remove your credit card info immediately after.

Also, PayPal.

Adding funds is actually the most vulnerable because there is no validation for using the wallet balance. Credit card requires you to re-input the CVV when you use a different machine for the first time.

(Not sure about the web store though)

Just for the record, if this is the FIFA thing then it doesn't matter if you own or have ever played the game. People on the 360 have pointed out that they've never played them and they've still had Ultimate Team content bought on their account.

This thread title is alarmist. It's like when you ask if google is down. Before you go claiming that there was a system wide hack its probably better to not say that in the title.

Yeah...no. Not my intent, as I asked a legitimate question on a large video game message board to see if anyone else knew what was going on or had experienced the same thing. I believe even a cursory reading of my post shows that.

Has the OP mentioned whether or not they used a PC recently to access PSN? I'm eating Sausage and Chicken Gumbo

I did. I logged onto SEN after updating my Vita to see if anything of value was on there and to add the latest free PS+ offerings. I also had my Vita connected and charging on my PC via USB at the time, though I doubt that means anything.

The thread should be locked down and never spoken of again.

Thanks for the help.

For the record, I'm on hold with Sony's customer service right now. I'll update when I get some answers and actions from their end.

Update:

They made that as difficult as possible. Spoke to three people and was placed on hold five times.

Sony was able to confirm that the request to add funds came from outside my house, and the finance department said it was a good thing I acted quickly before the money was spent.

They did not want to credit my account back. The first guy asked if I wanted to buy any games from their store (lol). The second guy said I should buy an extended warranty for my Vita for $129 (double lol).

I stood firm and they'll credit my account back in a couple of weeks.

Lesson #1 - Don't have a CC linked to your account.
Lesson #2 - Change your PSN password just in case.
Lesson #3 - Never log into PSN on your PC? I don't know.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
Anyone else having problems signing in?

I can't seem to be able to sign-in neither on my VITA nor via the PC store. It give me a password or email error. I tried to go through the forgot password process to see if it worked, but it gives me an error saying it wasn't able to verify my date of birth nor my email address :/.

This is bizarre. I didn't get any email about anything changing.. so I'm not sure if this is simply an error, or if something bad happened to my account.

Anyone else having problems signing in?

This is bizarre. I didn't get any email about anything changing.. so I'm not sure if this is simply an error, or if something bad happened to my account.

They've reset some passwords (without officially telling us, thanks...) If you haven't signed in for a few days it may be that.

Edit, can't help with the d.o.b thing, you might have to call them.

meppi

Sony didn't get hacked again. The people who've had issues are probably either jumping on the bandwagon to get negative PR for Sony again or have let their accounts get compromised from their own idiocy such as reusing passwords.

Sony wouldn't get hacked again after the last time and they wont ever be. This isn't Microsoft or EA we're talking about here.

What?!

Hyunickel

Neo Member
They've reset some passwords (without officially telling us, thanks...) If you haven't signed in for a few days it may be that.

Edit, can't help with the d.o.b thing, you might have to call them.

Turns out I mis-inputted my year of birth at registration by a year, figured it out after a few tries. So weird they didn't even email us..

Sony didn't get hacked again. The people who've had issues are probably either jumping on the bandwagon to get negative PR for Sony again or have let their accounts get compromised from their own idiocy such as reusing passwords.

Sony wouldn't get hacked again after the last time and they wont ever be. This isn't Microsoft or EA we're talking about here.

dafuq wizard!

let's not simply erase the chance that they were breached again, even if just slightly.

joe2187

Banned
Bro...You got FIFA'ed.

It happened twice to me on the 360.

But MS were assholes about taking my CC off of file so I just cancelled the card instead. Fuck em.

Sendou

Yeah Sony changed my password without asking me too. They say this is not something to get worried about but I'm not sure I agree... It's good that they're doing what's necessary to keep the accounts safe but they should inform me clearly why they did and that they indeed changed it.

Got my refund confirmation in my email today.

Thank you for your recent call to Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) Consumer Services. We have reviewed your case and as a one time gesture of goodwill we have approved your refund in the amount of $80. Please allow us 3-5 business days in order to finalize your refund and return the funds back to your PSN Wallet/Credit Card.

Please keep in mind that if the funds are being returned to your credit card, it will take up to 1-2 billing cycles through your financial institution before the funds will actually be posted to the account.

Please note, according to PlayStation® Network (PSN) terms of service and user agreement, all users should safeguard their account information to prevent use by any other user. SCEA shall have no liability for any unauthorized usage of a PSN account. SCEA will not be able to refund your account again. To check on your refund, please contact your credit card company.

I love how they say they feel its a gesture of good will to refund my money, and that its a one time occasion so if I ever get hacked again I'm shit outta luck. Kinda fucked up but I learned my lesson, no more credit card, only PSN cards. And use that balance within a reasonable time, don't leave it just sitting there.

level44

I fired up my Vita for the first time tonight in a few months and updated to firmware 3.0. I left the system plugged into my computer to charge while I proceeded to work on a few other things.

When I checked my email a couple of hours later, I had three separate notices from Sony that $50 transactions had been added to my wallet, for a total of $150. All three emails have the exact same time stamp, so the assumption is that they all happened at the same time. I immediately removed my credit card from the account, changed my password, and added a pin. I don't have any viruses or keyloggers on my PC, and use randomized passwords for every account I have.

I tried to call Sony's customer support, but they're not around at this hour of the night. Some amateur searching did turn up three separate threads on the Sony forums all detailing the exact same event.

Thread #1.
Thread #2.
Thread #3.

The commonality is all three had 3 x $50 transactions added to their wallet. If you read the threads, many of the replies complain of the same thing happening to them. There are some unconfirmed rumors that it may deal with FIFA, but I don't even have that game.

Has this happened to anyone else? Why haven't I heard or read anything about PSN being hacked? What the heck is going on here? I'm calling Sony first thing in the morning and if they don't fix this I'll have my bank cancel the charges for fraudulent activity.

No, you've been phished.
Sensationalist title for a thread.

Got my refund confirmation in my email today.

I love how they say they feel its a gesture of good will to refund my money, and that its a one time occasion so if I ever get hacked again I'm shit outta luck. Kinda fucked up but I learned my lesson, no more credit card, only PSN cards. And use that balance within a reasonable time, don't leave it just sitting there.
The bolded is infuriating

KORNdoggy

after the last time i really don't get why anyone would have their card details associated with PSN. not to mention instant PSN cards are cheaper and safer.

EA is to blame for this one, as it is the Origin account that was compromised. This was established clear enough when it happend on 360, and it's ridiculous they haven't stopped this last time.

The best way to prevent this from happening is not to have your Origin account use the same password as your PSN account. That should be enough to prevent this from happening.

Friend of mine also had an automatic password reset before anything bad happened, but I haven't. I have a unique password for PSN that I never use anywhere else, but he probably had the same password for both. So this seems to imply that as a preventive measure, Sony and EA compared their password lists and Sony then forced a reset of passwords for those that matched.

That's my guess, anyway.

Zushin

EA is to blame for this one, as it is the Origin account that was compromised. This was established clear enough when it happend on 360, and it's ridiculous they haven't stopped this last time.

The best way to prevent this from happening is not to have your Origin account use the same password as your PSN account. That should be enough to prevent this from happening.

Friend of mine also had an automatic password reset before anything bad happened, but I haven't. I have a unique password for PSN that I never use anywhere else, but he probably had the same password for both. So this seems to imply that as a preventive measure, Sony and EA compared their password lists and Sony then forced a reset of passwords for those that matched.

That's my guess, anyway.

I had to change mine and my origin and PSN passwords are different though.

Cheech

after the last time i really don't get why anyone would have their card details associated with PSN. not to mention instant PSN cards are cheaper and safer.

We shouldn't have to. If Sony used the same security precautions as the rest of the digital planet, this would not be an issue. Log on from a new IP? Send an SMS or email to your registered details. This shit isn't hard. Sony is still inept as hell when it comes to this stuff.

Use a unique password for PSN, and don't log onto your PSN account from your PC. Sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
We shouldn't have to. If Sony used the same security precautions as the rest of the digital planet, this would not be an issue. Log on from a new IP? Send an SMS or email to your registered details. This shit isn't hard. Sony is still inept as hell when it comes to this stuff.

Use a unique password for PSN, and don't log onto your PSN account from your PC. Sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

They should really let you do 2-factor authentication via the PS app.

Yeah play it safe and not store your CC info, make your purchase and remove.

They should/could put a second layer of security, by texting an authorization code to your phone. To process the purchase ....

curb

Banned
I'd guess phishing is more likely.

Probably. I remember reading about how "easy" it was to get details from Microsoft customer service during the height of the FIFA scams - maybe Sony has similar weaknesses with their CS process.

I haven't had a credit card associated with my PSN account since the breach. Anymore it's not a question of if your online data will be compromised but when and that's not just Sony, that's every online service you use.

Mupod

And this is why I never have, nor ever will, put my card on file for any game site.

I never did until I reaaaaly wanted Ni no Kuni last week and didn't have time to go get a prepaid card.

Four days later, $100 of FIFA charges. The weird thing is I just double checked my PS3 and my account management via the website and I don't even see any card information saved.

I did get my refund last night (although I haven't gotten the email yet), but it was a pain in the ass since they couldn't do it during maintenance and they kept extending it by 2 hours.

I also received my refund today, with the same pseudo-blame email.

For the record, it wasn't phishing. I visit no questionable websites, my email requires two-factor authentification from a phone that doesn't leave my person, and I use separate passwords for each site I visit.

I find it hilarious that Sony sends out an email telling folks to reset their passwords do to a security compromise. Dozens of people post on the Sony forums that there has been unauthorized activity on their accounts (including mine, which I hadn't been actively using for the previous few months). Other gaffers in this very thread have had their accounts compromised. I don't know the status of their account security measures, but I know my own and they are as thorough as anyone's can be.

GAFs conclusion: it's our fault, not Sony's or EA's. Never change, GAF.

Zoe

I never did until I reaaaaly wanted Ni no Kuni last week and didn't have time to go get a prepaid card.

Four days later, $100 of FIFA charges. The weird thing is I just double checked my PS3 and my account management via the website and I don't even see any card information saved.

I did get my refund last night (although I haven't gotten the email yet), but it was a pain in the ass since they couldn't do it during maintenance and they kept extending it by 2 hours.

Where did you enter your card info? On the PS3 or the website?

B-Ri

I have a feeling a lot of these have to do with the Adobe password compromise of 2013 part 2.

My email showed up in the search through the data. Sure enough after I found it, Sony sent me an email to change my password. Luckily nothing was charged on my account prior. I also later realized how old and out of date my Origin account was (i never signed up for Origin, but I guess my old EA account transferred to that)

found this quick article on the situation:

http://www.zdnet.com/find-out-if-your-data-was-leaked-in-the-adobe-hack-7000023065/

Also, Origin has 2 step verification, turn it on.

Mupod

Where did you enter your card info? On the PS3 or the website?

Honestly don't remember, if I had to guess it would be the website since I use it to add PS+ games to my download list. I was really busy that day and wanted to get the game downloaded before I left...wasn't expecting it to be 20 gigs though.

Top Bottom