• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation Network hacked?

Alcahest

They made me change my PSN/SEN passworkd last week, support on their forums said it was due to a detected breach in security.

Never actually told me they reset my password though, I just went to log in and was told that my password was wrong. I actually thought I had been hacked.

Same shit here, good scare, something is going on..

Question: I have deleted my CC info from the playstation web store, do I need to delete it off my ps3/vita as well like in account management?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This would be devastating if this happened again... not sure how they could earn anybodies trust back and rightfully so.

J_Lee

Banned
I had the same BS Fifa crap happen on my 360 maybe a year or so ago emptied my account buying those stupid cards.

Detected breach in security doesn't sound good at all.

The positive is I've confirmed the $150 is still sitting in my wallet. I'll give Sony a chance to make it right in the morning. I can't think of a single reason they won't credit that money back to my card, since it was added in a fraudulent transaction and I have no intent to spend it on anything.

If they refuse, that will open up a whole new ordeal. I'm not enamored with my PSN account and rarely use my Vita. It's my travel entertainment and I've enjoyed some free PS+ games, but I refuse to be forced to spend $150 on their store like one of the posters on their forums was told to do.

I'll get the BBB involved and companies like Sony usually don't like the negative publicity there and do the right thing. If that fails, I'll do the nuclear option of having my bank do a charge back. I can live without my PSN account. I would lose my digitally purchased games, correct?

This seems to happen a lot with these FIFA packs. Hopefully everything works out for you OP, and this doesn't become a widespread issue. Just to be safe I've changed almost all my PSN info and deleted my billing info.

Yagharek

From one of the threads I posted, a guy wrote:

"I called Sony and they told me " alright something strange happend in your account, and I'm sorry to outright tell you this but we won't reimburse it" and that the transactions were done from the internet ( kinda obvious since nobody broke into my house). Then he hilariously adviced me to keep the money anyways since maybe I'm going to spend it. Sorry to say this, but I'm already suspecting something fishy here from our beloved company. I told them I wanted to contest and they warned me they will close my PS3 account, losing all my previous purchases and progress since I'm doing a payback."

So basically, they told him to take a hike and leave the money on his account since he could spend it in the future. LOL, take a hike. I can be very persuasive on the phone, so tomorrow morning should prove interesting. If they refuse the refund, they don't deserve my future business anyway. I'll file a complaint with the BBB and see if that changes their tune (usually does). If not, bye bye PSN account with Plus subscription.

Disgusting behavior from the Sony customer service.

In their defense, there are occasions where they do refund, but it seems more common they dont.

I cannot understand why they dont refund fraud victims but that would involve Sony admitting some form of fault, which they rarely do.

Most of my anecdotes are based on Sony Australia who are absolute muppets, I dont know how good or bad they are elsewhere.

ReaperXL7

I cannot imagine this is a legit full blown hack in the same way that PSN was hacked previously, and if it were I would want to believe that Sony would want to get out in front of it this time instead of it blowing up as it did before.

It also sounds like its tied to Fifa somehow (and the Xbox versions are affected aswell?) Kind of makes it sounds like this would be just as much on EA, but im not sure how this works.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This seems to happen a lot with these FIFA packs. Hopefully everything works out for you OP, and this doesn't become a widespread issue. Just to be safe I've changed almost all my PSN info and deleted my billing info.

Can this be explained to me? Is it if you purchase it off the store? Why does that get breached?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This thread title is alarmist. It's like when you ask if google is down. Before you go claiming that there was a system wide hack its probably better to not say that in the title.

Duxxy3

I'm not sure why OP thinks the entire network got hacked. This looks like the stuff that happens with fifa every year.

PSN/XBL/Nintendo's network all need to move to authentication like valve has.

ReaperXL7

Disgusting behavior from the Sony customer service.

In their defense, there are occasions where they do refund, but it seems more common they dont.

I cannot understand why they dont refund fraud victims but that would involve Sony admitting some form of fault, which they rarely do.

Most of my anecdotes are based on Sony Australia who are absolute muppets, I dont know how good or bad they are elsewhere.

If there were another full blown hack I would not be one to defend any of the bullshit, but I will say that lots of people try to scam companies out of money by making false claims of being victims.

I have not been effected by any hack as it stands right now, but there would be nothing really stopping me from calling Sony and claiming that it had. How would they know that I was being honest without some form of proof. The best thing to do in these situations is to conact your bank.

Why is it always FIFA?

I cannot imagine this is a legit full blown hack in the same way that PSN was hacked previously, and if it were I would want to believe that Sony would want to get out in front of it this time instead of it blowing up as it did before.

It also sounds like its tied to Fifa somehow (and the Xbox versions are affected aswell?) Kind of makes it sounds like this would be just as much on EA, but im not sure how this works.

FIFA is only involved in that once you compromise an individual account to buy PSN credit (or MS Points in the case of the 360), that store credit can effectively be laundered into real money via Ultimate Team booster pack DLC. The cards can be freely traded between accounts and some are considered desirable so it's possible to sell them online for real money.

Does Sony have that second tier protection like steam + like many other competent services where they require a password sent to email/phone to register use of new computers or even a new browser?

For example, if someone happens to get my steam pwd, they also would need to have my phone or email to access the steam account anyway, unless they somehow happen to be connecting via my computer.

This security feature makes me feel safe to use credit cards online...

jsnepo

So regarding this FIFA hack, does it only happen to people who played FIFA or to anyone with the EA ID linked to XBL/PSN?

Nikodemos

Can this be explained to me? Is it if you purchase it off the store? Why does that get breached?
Because the FIFA packs are extremely easily monetisable. Set up a phishing server reroute, crawl through users' data for their credit card info, buy FIFA packs, send them to other accounts, sell them, profit. It's a lot easier and quicker than a brute-force server hack for user logs etc. (especially after Sony tightened security). They're usually caught pretty quickly, but, due to user throughput, they manage to snag several thousand accounts by the time sysadmins notice something's wrong.

ReaperXL7

Because the FIFA packs are extremely easily monetisable. Set up a phishing server reroute, crawl through users' data for their credit card info, buy FIFA packs, send them to other accounts, sell them, profit. It's a lot easier and quicker than a brute-force server hack for user logs etc. (especially after Sony tightened security). They're usually caught pretty quickly, but, due to user throughput, they manage to snag several thousand accounts by the time sysadmins notice something's wrong.

I remember hearing about these fifa hacks from people I knew with 360s, did/were MS ever able to do anything about it? It seems weird that you would only target Fifa of all things as there is DLC for just about every game these days.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So regarding this FIFA hack, does it only happen to people who played FIFA or to anyone with the EA ID linked to XBL/PSN?

The latter. It's been happening for several years now on xbox live. Given that it's been going on there for so long, I doubt it happening on PSN too is any indication of a wide-scale breach. My money would be on a small-scale security flaw of EA's, or some social engineering with customer support reps. Hell it could be something as simple as phishing. I'm pretty damn good at keeping on top of my computer security, but it still happened to me 3 years ago.

demolitio

Considering EA has been hacked before and someone told me my Origin details were in the accounts list by the hacker, I don't spend any money on Origin anymore. That hack happened in 2010 I believe and most Origin accounts were compromised but they didn't get a hold of my CC at least.

And people wonder why some are reluctant to switching completely over to a digital system where you're just paying for the licenses. I haven't had any issues with Steam at least.

My Live account was hacked and someone was using it as a gateway to launder money using other people's Paypal accounts and I caught wind of it randomly once I received an email about funds being added and it took me a few weeks for MS to remove the funds and check it out after going back and forth with them for a while. I kept insisting I didn't do it or else I wouldn't report random money being in my account and that I would like it to be addressed so I don't get in trouble and they finally solved it after a while even though they took out what funds I myself had on my account after telling them that a certain amount was mine before any Paypal accounts were added.

jsnepo

Yeah, the EA id link is one of the weak links used by this group to get booster packs.

Thanks. I'll have to unlink my EA account then. Before that though, is it safe if the password I have for my EA account is different than any login passwords I have?

The latter. It's been happening for several years now on xbox live. Given that it's been going on there for so long, I doubt it happening on PSN too is any indication of a wide-scale breach. My money would be on a small-scale security flaw of EA's, or some social engineering with customer support reps. Hell it could be something as simple as phishing. I'm pretty damn good at keeping on top of my computer security, but it still happened to me 3 years ago.

That does it then. I'm unlinking it now.

Yagharek

If there were another full blown hack I would not be one to defend any of the bullshit, but I will say that lots of people try to scam companies out of money by making false claims of being victims.

I have not been effected by any hack as it stands right now, but there would be nothing really stopping me from calling Sony and claiming that it had. How would they know that I was being honest without some form of proof. The best thing to do in these situations is to conact your bank.

Thats what I've always said: call your bank. The problem is, Sony ban you when you do and your bank does a chargeback.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
He actually did back in 2010, thats what the psn money was spent on fifa booster packs.

Assuming this follows the same pattern as these kind of incidents that have been happening on live for years now - having played Fifa doesn't matter. I had never touched one before and it still ended up happening to my live account.

Jawmuncher

Smells like the usual FIFA pack buy then run group that terrorized PSN and XBL for the last few years.

Both services can't seem to do a damn thing to stop it either.

Wonder what would happen if both Sony and MS forced EA to change the way FIFA packs work.

Assuming this follows the same pattern as these kind of incidents that have been happening on live for years now - having played Fifa doesn't matter. I had never touched one before and it still ended up happening to my live account.
You did, you downloaded a demo, and realized it would never be for you, thats how Sadako got in your Xbox360.

Dukey

Banned
I take it I don't have to own or play FIFA for this to matter? Last FIFA I played was '13 on the PC. Never played on a console or handheld, haven't linked anything between Origin and PSN. Is that relevant?

Nope you don't need to have owned FIFA for it to happen. They just need access to your account, they add money to your own account with your CC, and then buy FIFA packs and move them to other accounts. If you caught it before the money on your PSN account was spent, you're fine.

jsnepo

Just did a chat with an EA game advisor and I'm surprised how smooth everything was. I managed to change the security question since I forgot the answer to the old one. Now I can finally unlink my PSN from this.

Why is FIFA getting brought up though if the OP hasn't played it?

Don't need to have played a game to buy DLC and FIFA's boost packs can be turned into real world money. It's a giant gaping hole in security that's been around for a long time now that no one seems prepared to fix.
Can't fix it? Yank them from the marketplaces. Does EA really wield that much power, that MS/Sony can't remove content from their servers that compromises the security of their customers just because it would stop EA making extra cash?
If so, fuck both Sony and MS for being little bitches.

Nikodemos

Better yet, tie it to the game. You own the game, you can buy the DLCs. Otherwise, no dice.

But yes, if the situation persists EA ought to be charged with enabling, since they are willingly refusing to change a system that allows for blatant theft.

Anhkow

Both Crytek (thread) and Ubisoft (thread) got hacked this year. TS, did you happen to have an account with any of those two companies? If so, it's possible that hackers had access to your PSN account if you used the same username/password.

KiteGr

I've also noticed that my password was not auto-filled yesterday, and apparently I couldn't remember it.
So I changed it, into something more random to be safe!

Derrick01

Banned
Sounds like phishing websites.

It was on us.playstation.com after hitting sign in. It happened when I tried it with the PS blog too.

edit: I just tried it right now and it doesn't seem to be doing it now. The warning isn't popping up anymore at least. I have the sites bookmarked so it's not like I picked the wrong site accidentally. Weird.

snap0212

I was surprised to see my PSN password not working the other day. I did not get an email or anything; it just seemed like my password was changed. I reset it myself afterwards and checked if anything had been bought, which didn't seem like it was the case.

Pretty pissed at Sony for not telling me anything about this at all. They didn't send me an email or anything. Deleted all my credit card details and will not enter them again. I stayed away from entering my details after the first PSN hack but not telling me about it when they think there's been a problem with security is just a shitty move. Especially considering how many people have had a shitty experience with Sony when it came to cases of people being charged for things they didn't buy.

Zoe

They log in to your account on their PS3, buy FIFA packs with your money and then send them to their own account. They could have gotten the info from any of the recent forum hacks, that's why people should never use the same email and password combo for multiple sites or services.
They're not making the charges on the PS3 unless they can guess your CVV on the first try.

Top Bottom