• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation Network hacked?

Zoe

Well we know that there are hardware checks in place for entering card info. If you try to use a card on other systems, it will prompt you to re-enter some info. Anybody know if the seedier side of CFW can bypass this?

The website doesn't do additional verification.

iceatcs

I also received my refund today, with the same pseudo-blame email.

For the record, it wasn't phishing. I visit no questionable websites, my email requires two-factor authentification from a phone that doesn't leave my person, and I use separate passwords for each site I visit.

I find it hilarious that Sony sends out an email telling folks to reset their passwords do to a security compromise. Dozens of people post on the Sony forums that there has been unauthorized activity on their accounts (including mine, which I hadn't been actively using for the previous few months). Other gaffers in this very thread have had their accounts compromised. I don't know the status of their account security measures, but I know my own and they are as thorough as anyone's can be.

GAFs conclusion: it's our fault, not Sony's or EA's. Never change, GAF.

Good for you and lol, relax man as you got refund.

I think it is very very common breach problem, it look like to me they are hijacking accounts, rather than true hack the security, because it is very eerie same problem with Xbox Live. Xbox Live problem is more common because so many accounts have credit card detail saved. Some region cannot remove CC detail online.
I dunno how it happened, I feel it could be an inside job or something phishing from the other service, like EA origin, Konami ID from MGS, Steam PSN or any websites like even neogaf forum - sadistic hacker member in here?

RazorK1d

This actually happened to me on Thanksgiving day. I woke up at 6:30 am and saw I had 3 charges of $50 each added to my PSN wallet which was then promptly used to buy FIFA season passes and packs. I immediately cancelled the credit card, changed my password and email associated with my PSN account, and tried to call Sony, but customer service wasn't open at that time. After returning home with my wife from Thanksgiving day happenings, I called again and got in contact with them. They checked my account and saw the purchases were indeed fraudulent and refunded my money to my credit card account.

I was happy that it was resolved so quickly, but it got me paranoid. I saw a thread on GAF just a day before telling everyone to change their passwords on PSN because something about FIFA, but I ignored it because I don't even own the game.

OP, check your system activations as well. While looking through my PSN account, I found that whoever hacked my account had also added the full limit (5) of ps3's to my account when I only own one. I deactivated all the systems and reactive mine as there is no way to do it individually.

UNCMark

Banned
This actually happened to me on Thanksgiving day. I woke up at 6:30 am and saw I had 3 charges of $50 each added to my PSN wallet which was then promptly used to buy FIFA season passes and packs. I immediately cancelled the credit card, changed my password and email associated with my PSN account, and tried to call Sony, but customer service wasn't open at that time. After returning home with my wife from Thanksgiving day happenings, I called again and got in contact with them. They checked my account and saw the purchases were indeed fraudulent and refunded my money to my credit card account.

I was happy that it was resolved so quickly, but it got me paranoid. I saw a thread on GAF just a day before telling everyone to change their passwords on PSN because something about FIFA, but I ignored it because I don't even own the game.

OP, check your system activations as well. While looking through my PSN account, I found that whoever hacked my account had also added the full limit (5) of ps3's to my account when I only own one. I deactivated all the systems and reactive mine as there is no way to do it individually.

How did they credit a card that you canceled?

RazorK1d

How did they credit a card that you canceled?

Actually, they cancelled the charges made to the credit card and didn't need to refund my card. The charges were still pending on my credit card before I called to cancel it, so the charges never went through. Sorry for the discrepancy.

Hadn't considered or checked this, so I'll do so when I get home from work today. Thanks for the heads up!

It's phishing and not hacking. But that said, fuckkkkkk having your CC on your account on either system. Amazon cards do exactly what you need without the security concerns.

How long did it take? I called them about it on 12/2 and I haven't heard anything from them since.
it took a week exactly. i did live chat on 12/2, was told i would hear something within 5-7 days, and then on monday i hadnt heard anything yet so i decided to live chat again, they said it was still being processed, and literally a few hours later i got the email saying it was approved. so now im just waiting for it to show up back on my credit card. which according to sony could be another week(3-5 days for them and 1-2 days for my bank)??

The bolded is infuriating
i know right? im wondering if everyone that got the same email should complain to kotaku or ign or someone with that bolded part, because it really shows a lack of caring on sonys part. i mean, i changed my password when they sent out an email to do so a little over a month ago, and the password is not something i use on ANYTHING, yet sony is acting like its our fault we got hacked and they wont help out next time.

anyone remember if microsoft or ea or whoever did it last time, what was their response email like?

Red Mage

I never did until I reaaaaly wanted Ni no Kuni last week and didn't have time to go get a prepaid card.

Four days later, $100 of FIFA charges. The weird thing is I just double checked my PS3 and my account management via the website and I don't even see any card information saved.

I did get my refund last night (although I haven't gotten the email yet), but it was a pain in the ass since they couldn't do it during maintenance and they kept extending it by 2 hours.

I never go out to get a card either, unless I happen to be shopping and remember I'll want one for later.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RMK4BC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I also got owned last night.
Just about to go to bed when I see 5 emails in my inbox. Supposedly I added 50+30+30+10+10 € in my wallet, for a total of 130€, through the SEN store website. The only lucky thing is that they did not spend it afterwards.

I called Sony but the operator didn't seem very optimistic about a refund, stating he will file the refund enquiry.
He really wanted to put all blame on me for this. I guess that it's my fault in some way -I must've done something to cause someone to guess my password- but it's not like I did everything for it to happen. However it happened, it was online for sure because no one could've seen my credentials first-hand -that too, he was very eager to think it happened-.

In any case I disputed the wallet funding, changed the password (plus every other passwords I have anywhere else to be sure), and removed every card details (won't save them again that's sure).
If they don't want to refund me, I'll turn myself to the card makers to get one. I'll also block my card and get another one. I just hope the other purchases I made somewhere else that got through, are legit but still not listed in my bank account, won't pose any problem.

Should I worry about anything else apart from all that?

How relatively simple was your password?

Well it was comprised of capital letters, lower case letters, numbers, a few special keys thrown into the mix, and its length was 10. Shouldn't have been a pronounceable word. Though, I came up with it.
Now I increased the length substantially, and used multiple randomizers to get something I didn't make myself, at least. Its strength should be a lot stronger than the previous one.

welp heres my update.

so now its 12/16, havent seen any money put back on my bank account which should have most definitely been done by now, so i call my bank and explain to them the situation. they look for any kind of authorizations or reversals that sony was supposed to do, and nothing. so nowww my bank has to go ahead and initiate a claim since no one has any idea what sony is doing. even though i received the refund approval from sony, its not showing up with my bank anywhere. all they see is the original fraudulent charges. so they go ahead and issue me a refund and say they will investigate the claim further. so i guess thats a good thing, i dont have to wait for sony to take action now in order to see my money.

so all in all, even if sony has told you they are approving the refund, i highly suggest calling your bank, especially if their stated 2-3 business days for the transaction to appear results in nothing. because if i hadnt called my bank, who knows when i would have had my money back.

Wereroku

welp heres my update.

so now its 12/16, havent seen any money put back on my bank account which should have most definitely been done by now, so i call my bank and explain to them the situation. they look for any kind of authorizations or reversals that sony was supposed to do, and nothing. so nowww my bank has to go ahead and initiate a claim since no one has any idea what sony is doing. even though i received the refund approval from sony, its not showing up with my bank anywhere. all they see is the original fraudulent charges. so they go ahead and issue me a refund and say they will investigate the claim further. so i guess thats a good thing, i dont have to wait for sony to take action now in order to see my money.

so all in all, even if sony has told you they are approving the refund, i highly suggest calling your bank, especially if their stated 2-3 business days for the transaction to appear results in nothing. because if i hadnt called my bank, who knows when i would have had my money back.
That sucks man I hope sony doesn't ban your account for that charge back.

That sucks man I hope sony doesn't ban your account for that charge back.

shit i hope not either. would they??? i mean, ive got all the emails sony sent me, and all the chat logs that i had with customer service. i also gave my bank the reference number that sony gave me so they could note it on the claim, so hopefully when this claim reaches sony they can be like "oh, well lets look at this claim number" and realize that maybe they forgot or something. i mean everythings documented under that claim number they gave me, EVERYTHING.

Pain

Banned
surprised there are still people who have their credit cards saved. the security far outweighs the minor inconvenience of having to enter that information when i want to purchase something.
Or just use PSN cards. They sell them for a reason....

Hey, now you can even buy PSN games from Amazon so you have no excuse. Don't put your credit card on a service that has a history of poor security.

Ovid

Or just use PSN cards. They sell them for a reason....

Hey, now you can even buy PSN games from Amazon so you have no excuse. Don't put your credit card on a service that has a history of poor security.
Isnt a credit card required with a PS+ account?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Isnt a credit card required with a PS+ account?

Nope. I haven't had a card linked to my account since the first major hacking back in the day.

Been prepaid PS+ cards and prepaid PSN funds ever since.
Just buy them on Amazon and enter the codes immediately. No fuss or wait.

panty

I've had my card on file with them since the beginning and had zero issues. FWIW

Same. Never had any errors and have had a few different cc's there. Not going to take my cc info away from the site because someone had a poor pw and had keyloggers and whatnot on their system.

Guys + Girls: You should sign up to this: https://pwnedlist.com/

It tells you if your email address has been hacked.

Sites like this would be the last thing to do with your email. I would never input my email to one site that promises to "check" something and probably sells your email for some totally legit purposes.

Zoe

Nope. I haven't had a card linked to my account since the first major hacking back in the day.

Been prepaid PS+ cards and prepaid PSN funds ever since.
Just buy them on Amazon and enter the codes immediately. No fuss or wait.

This is the worst thing you could do. There's no form of verification when buying from one of the consoles, and you have no one else to go to if Sony doesn't refund the money.

Sites like this would be the last thing to do with your email. I would never input my email to one site that promises to "check" something and probably sells your email for some totally legit purposes.

You can use a hash.

Mine is on there, from around the date of the Adobe hack.

antibolo

Banned
Quick heads-up to everyone: PSN now supports PayPal for adding funds in most countries. This is much more convenient than buying prepaid cards (for the same country you are in; you still need prepaid cards for adding funds to foreign accounts). There's really no reason anymore to give Sony your credit card info.

I've had my card on file with them since the beginning and had zero issues. FWIW

Just because you never had problems doesn't mean that the possibility is not there.

General rule of the Internet: you should have your personal info (this includes credit card) on as few online services as possible. Because security breaches do happen, and sometimes we are never even told about it, so you should always assume the worst.

My update: Sony representative didn't call me yet but I've just seen that my wallet is back to 0€...so I guess I'll get my money back in the end.
Once I get it, I'll change my credit card to be sure, but I'm glad they were willing to reimburse me.

At least, I learned my lesson now D:

Top Bottom