• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Winning Eleven (PES) Wii movie and website

wsippel

Banned
dojobanjo said:
Why japanese websites always have restrictions to prevent us from downloading their videos ? I can see the video but it works so badly, I can only see some pictures and no animation.
1. Get mplayer.
2. Open the asx file in Notepad, look for the real url to the video (usually something like "mms://whatever").
3. Open a terminal/ command line.
4. Enter this without the quotes: "mplayer -dumpstream mms://PATH_TO_VIDEO"
5. Enjoy.

fresquito said:
No, while some scenes are shared between both videos, they are in no way the same video.
Yeah, I realize that, but isn't most of the what is in the new video already in the old. Seems like they mostly just cut out the replay view of the plays in most cases...

maxmars

I did sell FIFA08 in anticipation of this. I can't have too many football games, MSC and PES will have to do and from the video, it may work. Most probably not a game to play with the family, though.

As you guys said, it looks potentially revolutionary...and it looks like it COULD be one of the most interesting and intuitive uses of the technology when bringing over a third-party franchise to the Wii. Definitely on my watch list.

FIFA 08 is a lot of fun, though - EA did a nice job with that on the Wii. It's no guarantee that WE will 'replace' FIFA for me.

maxmars

Toy Soldier said:
FIFA 08 is a lot of fun, though - EA did a nice job with that on the Wii. It's no guarantee that WE will 'replace' FIFA for me.

As a football game, I like FIFA 08 a lot. It suffered from a terrible issue, namely some players were invisible. I stumbled on this with a couple of teams I was playing with (local teams) so it was definitely an issue.. We'll see next year if they can polish this.

The thing I miss the most was the table fussball thing, although I reckon they could improve on that, too, and make it work like the real thing.

MisterHero

This game looks great, even though I don't pay much attention to sports games.

This thread has generated some interest for me. :D

maxmars said:
As a football game, I like FIFA 08 a lot. It suffered from a terrible issue, namely some players were invisible. I stumbled on this with a couple of teams I was playing with (local teams) so it was definitely an issue.. We'll see next year if they can polish this.

Yikes, like literally invisible on the pitch? I've never come across that, thankfully (knock on wood). That's a pretty significant issue, I'd say! Shame that it affects your local teams, too.

The thing I miss the most was the table fussball thing, although I reckon they could improve on that, too, and make it work like the real thing.

Definitely. The current version's controls are just sloppy enough where it's still a bit too unpleasant to spend much time with, but you can tell just a LITTLE bit of work and refining would turn it into a blast of a minigame.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, looks intriguing. Didn't like the whole shake the controllers to dribble thing though. Interested to see whether this catches on with the traditional audience or not. It could be a hit or a complete flop.

ksamedi

schuelma said:
Wow, looks intriguing. Didn't like the whole shake the controllers to dribble thing though. Interested to see whether this catches on with the traditional audience or not. It could be a hit or a complete flop.

Its even hard to get used to it in Fifa, I don't like that either. But after playing many games of Fifa 08, I must say I'm used to it by now.

Flakster99

I don't play soccer games often, and I've lost count the number of times a game with waggle has been outright tiering due to poor implementation, or not fun and took away from the game due to little to no play testing.

But... this looks very intriguing, and if the implementation is solid and thoughtful, PES Wii could be a deep experience, ei hard to master, but fun to play and learn.

m14

The potential of this game is amazing. Graphics look like a bit of an upgrade from PS2 and from the last trailer.

Fifa 08 on Wii was actually pretty decent.

NSider

Who would of thought that the Wii version would be even MORE tactical and precise than the other versions! Insane. This game really uses the strengths of the Wiimote and focusing more on the pointer than imprecise motions.

Props to Konami for taking a risk on this version. If the new control scheme is as good as it seems to be, I'll get the game day 1.

Citizen K

what is the mechanic to shoot? in the old trailer it was 'shake to shoot' which i dont like. how will you control the power bar?

also, i'm really looking forward to this but i think it'll be very easy to beat the cpu with all the runs etc u can make players do. no way will the ai be able to track my intricate passing moves! i hope they work hard on making the ai strong.

Aalyx

Whoa, this is the sort of thing that makes me want a Wii.

Are you able to only control one player? Would be pretty cool to be the "Wizard in midfield", making everything happen with killer passes everywhere.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Citizen K said:
what is the mechanic to shoot? in the old trailer it was 'shake to shoot' which i dont like. how will you control the power bar?

also, i'm really looking forward to this but i think it'll be very easy to beat the cpu with all the runs etc u can make players do. no way will the ai be able to track my intricate passing moves! i hope they work hard on making the ai strong.

If it works at all like Inazuma 11 on DS, making intricate plays will be extremely tricky. Esp since you're on a TV rather than touch screen.

Its not like an RTS imo, it is an incredibly fun mechanic and you can pull off the most mindblowing things in comparison to previous football games, but it is extremely tricky controlling 3 or 4 things at once while 2 players are bearing down on your player.

I dont know how they plan to pull off 2 player on this and we haven't seen how defending will work at all... maybe it just works more or less conventional controls with you able to control other defenders runs with the pointer.

Would make sense if the analogue controls the player on the ball and the pointer lets you pass it or make other players run - is that how its gonna work?

Threi

notag
I will be getting this, unless Fifa 09 Wii turns out to be surprisingly good.

...yeah I will be getting this.

Citizen K

kaizoku said:
If it works at all like Inazuma 11 on DS, making intricate plays will be extremely tricky. Esp since you're on a TV rather than touch screen.

Its not like an RTS imo, it is an incredibly fun mechanic and you can pull off the most mindblowing things in comparison to previous football games, but it is extremely tricky controlling 3 or 4 things at once while 2 players are bearing down on your player.

I dont know how they plan to pull off 2 player on this and we haven't seen how defending will work at all... maybe it just works more or less conventional controls with you able to control other defenders runs with the pointer.

Would make sense if the analogue controls the player on the ball and the pointer lets you pass it or make other players run - is that how its gonna work?

Yes that is how it works. You run with the analogue stick and point to make passes, player runs etc. Although I believe there is an option to control player movement by having them follow a cursor (zelda ds style) which would be awful if you ask me.

I think after you get used to the controls and can use them quickly this will be a very good football game.

What is Inazuma 11 by the way, and how does it work?

maxmars

Toy Soldier said:
Yikes, like literally invisible on the pitch? I've never come across that, thankfully (knock on wood). That's a pretty significant issue, I'd say! Shame that it affects your local teams, too.

Yeah, play against Bari in Italian Serie B and see how their left defender isn't visible (but it does play). I don't remember in which other team was the other. A real pity!

Kobayashi said:
I'm excited, let's hope they release it outside Japan. They never released a Winning Eleven on GC outside Japan. :(

They are releasing it as Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 for the Wii in the US on March 11th or 12th.

http://www.winningelevenblog.com/news/us-release-date-for-pes-2008/

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=230229

By the way, here to two more videos:

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/wii/ga...01616127156044&releaseId=20071016154949812069

http://www.videogameszone.de/?mag=23&article_id=617913

I am amazed that they have put so much (so little?) effort into the controls. This is the kind of simple yet amazing possibility I imagined when the Wii remote was first unveiled.

Looks like Konami put some actual effort into the graphics as well.
I don't like foooootbol that much, but I will buy and enjoy this game simply because of it's amazingly fun and refreshing control scheme.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's going to be hilarious if this actually winds up better than the PS360 versions, which though I love them are nothing more than PES2 ver.5 HD. Of course it really looks to be one of those compete hit-or-miss games, which is at least more exciting than a straight PS2 port that they most certainly could have done (and considering their treatment of the series I'm quite shocked they didn't do).

Sagitario

Gamecocks625 said:

Great news! My brothers are going to love it... it will be a great birthday gift :) ...

Arde5643

Damn...looks very cool.

I suck with RTS though - I can already predict how much I'll be raped online by Korean players. :lol

Scrubking said:
I'm loving the controls. They're so simple yet so amazing.

Tough to tell until we get to try it. I'm hoping that gameplay is as seamless as the traditional method of playing and not the "wow this cool" variety that quickly wears off.

dyls

ForzaItalia said:
Tough to tell until we get to try it. I'm hoping that gameplay is as seamless as the traditional method of playing and not the "wow this cool" variety that quickly wears off.

I would assume that if you don't feel like getting involved in the complexities of the pointing, the players will just do their normal AI routines. Which means the traditional game should be in there, and in tact. They're just adding another level of player control, finally allowing us to meaningly control a second avatar. The only way this gets screwed up, imo, is if they overdo the waggling. A little bit here and there is fine, but if it gets in the way at all it's a big problem.

Any word on co-op play? Having two skilled players on the same team could result in some incredible set pieces.

dyls said:
I would assume that if you don't feel like getting involved in the complexities of the pointing, the players will just do their normal AI routines. Which means the traditional game should be in there, and in tact. They're just adding another level of player control, finally allowing us to meaningly control a second avatar. The only way this gets screwed up, imo, is if they overdo the waggling. A little bit here and there is fine, but if it gets in the way at all it's a big problem.

Any word on co-op play? Having two skilled players on the same team could result in some incredible set pieces.

Well said. I really want to hear impressions from people in here and gaming sites in general.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Citizen K said:
Yes that is how it works. You run with the analogue stick and point to make passes, player runs etc. Although I believe there is an option to control player movement by having them follow a cursor (zelda ds style) which would be awful if you ask me.

I think after you get used to the controls and can use them quickly this will be a very good football game.

What is Inazuma 11 by the way, and how does it work?

Inazuma 11 is a DS football rpg from level 5. think I got the name right...

you control with touch only, very tricky, but once you get used to controlling 3-4 players at once its incredible the intricate moves you can do.

for example if mid1 has the ball in centre circle, you can make striker1 run wide and tap to pass into his run, then make mid1 dash into the box and striker2 swivel past his marker, to recieve a throughball from striker1. striker2 can then lay it onto mid1 who has just arrived unmarked to shoot. thats in open play, set pieces and throws have all kinds of diversionary runs etc now. and multiplayer is awesome

thats literally impossible to map out on PES as we know, be very excited, this could be the most compelling football sim yet.

MutFox

Banned
This will be the 1st Sim Style Sports game I buy on a Nintendo Console.
And I've owned all the Nintendo consoles starting with the Famicom.

Top Bottom