• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of the Rings Online becomes the first DirectX 10 MMMORPG

ManaByte

Commence bitching.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE™ IS FIRST MMORPG TO SUPPORT MICROSOFT'S DIRECTX 10 GRAPHICS AND NVIDIA GEFORCE GRAPHICS PROCESSORS

Award-Winning Online Game Now Features Industry-Leading Graphics

WESTWOOD, MA - January 7, 2008 - Turbine, Inc. announced today that The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™ has become the first massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) to support the Microsoft DirectX® 10 API and NVIDIA GeForce graphics processors for stunningly realistic imagery. The Lord of the Rings Online, named the 2007 PC Game of the Year 2007, now offers gamers with DirectX 10 graphics cards the most immersive online experience available today.

Players can now experience Middle-earth™ like never before with major improvements to The Lord of the Rings Online's graphics, including upgraded shaders for water, particle effects and lighting for distant terrain. Players will also be treated to new levels of immersion with the new DirectX 10 exclusive dynamic shadowing features which render realistic real-time shadows in the vast outdoor environments of The Lord of the Rings Online.

"Turbine has a history of pushing the graphics envelope so we can deliver state-of-the art immersive virtual worlds," said Fernando Paiz, Director of Game Technology at Turbine, Inc. "We began working with NVIDIA very early in the development cycle so that we could fully leverage DirectX 10 technology to achieve our goal of creating the most complete and authentic recreation of Middle-earth. The results speak for themselves as The Lord of the Rings Online has set the bar for what persistent online worlds can be."

"The FPS genre has long dominated the race to better graphics but with this major update from Turbine, The Lord of the Rings Online players can enjoy graphics as good as or even better than many FPS games. This is an outstanding achievement and the whole Turbine team should be rightly proud of what they have produced," said Roy Taylor, Vice President of Content Relations at NVIDIA. "This deserves the attention of the entire video games industry and all MMORPG players everywhere. It points to a future where we will see increasing blending of genres and deeper, more immersive PC gaming experiences. We are delighted to have been able to support this work."

The Lord of the Rings Online delivers an interactive experience brimming with life and filled with the familiar people, places and monsters from the most beloved fantasy adventure of all time. From the quaint surroundings of the Shire to Angmar, the vile kingdom of the Witch-king, players will experience the world of Middle-earth as never before. The Lord of the Rings Online is available for purchase at major retailers across North America. For more information, or to download a free trial, visit www.lotro.com.

TheDuce22

Banned
Whatever engine they use is awesome. This game runs smooth as butter on my 4 year old computer and looks better than any other MMO ive tried.

They have some comparisons. Looks basically the same to me.

1664_1.jpg

1664_2.jpg

TheDuce22 said:
Whatever engine they use is awesome. This game runs smooth as butter on my 4 year old computer and looks better than any other MMO ive tried.
??

It might have a slightly higher polycount than wow or guild wars but the art style drags it way below.

Ghost said:
Turbine do rock technically, even AC2 looked awesome with everything turned on.

It's not out yet.

Is it? oO

Anyway, are there any more DX9/DX10 comparison pics yet?

InsertCredit said:
??

It might have a slightly higher polycount than wow or guild wars but the art style drags it way below.
I totally disagree... Specially with WoW, that art style is pure crap and literally makes me nauseous

ManaByte

I have a copy of the game sitting here. Once I get my new PC built; I'll install it.

I'm building this:
Quad Core Intel
4 gigs of RAM
500 gig HDD
512 8800GT
Vista Ultimate

Should be done next week, and for just over $1300 in total parts/software.

Belgorim

InsertCredit said:
??

What? no, just no.

Lotro looks way better than wow. They have a great art style.

Xiaoki

Of the comparison screen shots Ive seen the only really noticeable difference was that everything was casting a shadow and self shadowing. Oh, and the water was better.

And, whoo hoo, about the shadows. Nothing that Everquest 2 didn't do back in 2004.

Is there anything else that has been vastly improved? Very unimpressive so far.

TheDuce22

Banned
InsertCredit said:
??

Overall Lord of the Rings is the best looking MMO out there. It has some amazing looking areas.

Duke Togo

ManaByte said:
I have a copy of the game sitting here. Once I get my new PC built; I'll install it.

I'm building this:
Quad Core Intel
4 gigs of RAM
500 gig HDD
512 8800GT
Vista Ultimate

Should be done next week, and for just over $1300 in total parts/software.
Thats a pretty nice setup, it will likely manhandle LOTR.

Kosma

Banned
How big is the subscriber base atm?

Water in the distance looks better on DX10, but that's the only difference I see.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
LotRO is pretty good, much better than I was expecting, I'll be sticking with WoW though, never liked the actual combat or classes in LotRO. It does however handle the story quite well.

TheDuce22

Banned
Ikuu said:
LotRO is pretty good, much better than I was expecting, I'll be sticking with WoW though, never liked the actual combat or classes in LotRO. It does however handle the story quite well.

The thing I like about the combat is almost all the classes feel unique. Burglar and Captian have been really fun to play.

"Thought EVE Online was the first MMORPG to use DirectX 10."

EVE was planning on moving over to DX10, but I'm guessing due to the super slow adoption rate of Vista they've nixxed it (for now).

TheDuce22 said:
Overall Lord of the Rings is the best looking MMO out there. It has some amazing looking areas.
And beyond awful in many others.
Metalmurphy said:
I totally disagree... Specially with WoW, that art style is pure crap and literally makes me nauseous
This has to be a joke. WoW has the most impressive visual style of any video game in a very long time. This isn't really subjective or up for debate.

726lu1e.jpg

86shk51.jpg

No Means Nomad said:
This has to be a joke. WoW has the most impressive visual style of any video game in a very long time. This isn't really subjective or up for debate.
You're right, its not up for debate because it isn't. It's pure ugly. And no stupid comparisons will deny that. Cause I can also make those:
wow-horde-level-59-1.jpg

1664_2.jpg

j-wood

How many people on GAF play this game? I have it, and love it. This is the only MMO that I've played where when I reach lvl 25, I want to keep playing.

Probably my favorite part is how the questing/instances works. As opposed to wow, when you go into an instance, you actually know why you're in there doing what your doing, and it feels important. Then when you finished it, you get to move onto something else. You don't have to repeat an instance over and over and over until your "the right level".

Raist

Banned
Played it for a while during the beta. Had a really good time. Kicking giant trolls ass on weathertop or getting lost in the lost forest is priceless. Tolkien <3

lotro2.jpg

lotro7.jpg

Belgorim

No Means Nomad said:
Joke comparison?

I was in closed and open Beta. This is probably the most fun I've had actually leveling up; the skill and talent system is really fun, it's great roaming around the place discovering things, and the fighting is spot on.

That being said unless things have changed, there is about 0 end game, you can only PVP in one zone and there really isn't any reason to, on top of that the mechanics are extremely broken ever since they nerfed Wargs.

j-wood

rotaryspirit said:
I was in closed and open Beta. This is probably the most fun I've had actually leveling up; the skill and talent system is really fun, it's great roaming around the place discovering things, and the fighting is spot on.

That being said unless things have changed, there is about 0 end game, you can only PVP in one zone and there really isn't any reason to, on top of that the mechanics are extremely broken ever since they nerfed Wargs.

There is ALOT of end game content. I think I heard from like Book 6 on, you need to be lvl 50

It's mostly just an upgrade from static lightning to detailed dynamic lightning. See below: (Feel free to add them to OP since this topic is loaded with shots that don't really illustrate what the DX10 patch did).

DX10 vs DX9

book11-lighting2.jpg

1664_6.jpg

1664_5.jpg

1664_4.jpg

1664_3.jpg

The general texture quality didn't really notably change, but the game was gorgeous to begin with so it's of little worry. Again, see below: (personal shots of mine; I've hundreds since the game is beautiful).

All DX9 and still gorgeous

Trollshaws-3.jpg

Trollshaws.jpg

Autumnleaves.jpg

bywater1.jpg

bywater2.jpg

Rivendell-1.jpg

Rrivendell.jpg

breeland.jpg

northdowns-elfsanctuary.jpg

caravantown.jpg

hobbit-village.jpg

Metalmurphy said:
You're right, its not up for debate because it isn't. It's pure ugly. And no stupid comparisons will deny that. Cause I can also make those:
wow-horde-level-59-1.jpg
/1664_2.jpg
Your comparison has World of Warcraft on some of it's lowest settings, and at the lowest possible resolution with a huge, cluttered UI over it, where you compare an interior placed in the desert to a lakeside LOTRO shot where over 60% is essentially a .gif sky.

My comparison shots were both snow zones, with game settings maxed out in a similar resolution. How unfair.

nubbe

The performance cost of DX10 is a bit higher but it is worth it in my opinion. I am really anal about shadows in games and the DX10 stuff make the shadows and light act better.

No Means Nomad said:
Your comparison has World of Warcraft on some of it's lowest settings, and at the lowest possible resolution with a huge, cluttered UI over it, where you compare an interior placed in the desert to a lakeside LOTRO shot where over 60% is essentially a .gif sky.

My comparison shots were both snow zones, with game settings maxed out in a similar resolution. How unfair.

.gif sky? :lol

Anyway, yeah that was my point, single comparisons like that are stupid cause they can make a game look worst then it is and vice versa.

I can tell you right now that your LOTRO pic is not at max settings (specially the AF), and your WoW pic is most probably a press screen.

Anyway, check the pics above if you're still not convinced...

Alex

The old areas of WoW are actually fairly dated looking, but it's amazing what they were able to push with sheer art direction in the Burning Crusade, despite technical age the game is still a fairly good looker.

TemplaerDude said:
duuur duuuur comparing actual gameplay with a fancy screen shot, duuur duuur always good for an argument.
Except that screenshot is actual gameplay as you can see from the pics KyanMehwulfe posted.

duuur duuuur

In terms of actual landscaping and environment art, LotRO is actually the one MMO that is right up there with WoW.

I've played both extensively and I've been a hardcore WoW player since beta started and an since the original Battle.net forums (or Warcraft 2 in 1997, really) so I'm not one to not give WoW credit, but discredting LOTRO's art is very unfair and inaccurate.

It has its flaw: elves in particular look bland and somewhat EQ2 esque. Humans aren't too great, but hobbits look alright and dwarves look superb.

In terms of landscaping though, the art is very high. Especially in The Shire, the attention to detail and craftsmanship is very strong. Little roads that naturally formed around a stream because the original washed out; the way a windmill is perfectly perched at the end of a grass-blown valley.

You can knock LOTRO for a lot of things but its landscaping art is not one of them. The game world is beautiful for the most part.

Metalmurphy said:
It has a button that hides it, as does WoW... as does pretty much every MMORPG... Never played one?

right so here's what i'm getting at here. you make an absolutely unfair comparison of two games by posting a screenshot of one with no user interface at all in the most beautiful portion of the game. then you post a screen of the other with a custom ui staring at the character exiting a building.

see what i mean?

TemplaerDude said:
right so here's what i'm getting at here. you make an absolutely unfair comparison of two games by posting a screenshot of one with no user interface at all in the most beautiful portion of the game. then you post a screen of the other with a custom ui staring at the character exiting a building.

see what i mean?
It was supposed to be an unfair comparison because the previous one was as well. Did you just happened to miss the part I said "stupid comparisons"?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Is this game worth? I've never played a MMORPG (avoided WoW like a plague), so... I wanna play one =P

Man I really loved this game but it looked no where near that on mine. My friend should me pics with his pc and it made me cancel the game.

Lol actually, it was school, but those screens bring back good memories

Metalmurphy said:
.gif sky? :lol

Anyway, yeah that was my point, single comparisons like that are stupid cause they can make a game look worst then it is and vice versa.

I can tell you right now that your LOTRO pic is not at max settings (specially the AF), and your WoW pic is most probably a press screen.

Anyway, check the pics above if you're still not convinced...
But your entire point was the WoW had a bad art style and LOTRO had a good one. When I look at the pictures posted in this thread I see a great looking game with horrendous art.
In terms of design look at LOTROs dwarves. They're disproportionate in ways that boggle the mind, and mostly just flat out scary looking.
Autumnleaves.jpg

MediaS1568.jpg

The same goes for most structures. Guess which mountainous city looks significantly better?
80xp0y1.png

72azhv8.png

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
WoW looks great, especially in Outland. Some of the old world stuff, like certain trees and a couple indoor areas, look like ass but for the most part the game is still visually satisfying. Some of the shit in Outland though will take your breath away, it's just fucking gorgeous.

LotRO is sort of the exact opposite of WoW in terms of visuals. It's technically impressive but the art design is lacking in a lot of areas, whereas WoW is an artistic achievement but technically dated. LotRO looks good now but in a couple years it'll start looking pretty dated.

Top Bottom