• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Gran Turismo 6 launch sales were just a fifth of GT5's

MANGOD

Banned
I'll be honest with picking up an xone and a ps4 im finding it hard to go back. Can wait for the ps4 version prolouge or whatever that might be

Zemm

Doesn't surprise me, no one I know bought it and aren't even talking about it. It'll still sell loads but will probably be the lowest selling numbered GT game.

Trevelyon

I knew it might get lost in the PS4 hysteria shuffle. But that's atrocious for the series in one of, if not its strongest market.

Jack cw

Series fatigue?
Cross gen would have been a smarter decision maybe but I think this game will have really long legs and will achieve GT5 LTD sales eventually.

Perkel

Banned
Dat Ps4 money drain.

To be fair it was mistake to release it on PS3 instead of PS4 especially a launch of PS4

LoveCake

I got the signature edition of GT5 on release & never again will i buy a GT game on release, GT5 promised the word but delivered little, even after the updates they did i just never could get into it, the very first GT game was the best, it has been downhill since then imo.

I get that it is supposed to be more of a simulation, but most people don't really want that, the racing was just too bland for me, i found the racing on Forza to just be more exciting both online & off.

Vlodril

They should have gone cross gen. Very weird that they decided not to. It would both boost the ps4 launch game line up a lot and take advantage of all the hype from the new hardware and the limited options for people to pick.

Kysen

All those who were saying the larger user base(PS3) would have made more sense than the now 250k+ in the wild(PS4) are looking quite silly right now.

I got the signature edition of GT5 on release & never again will i buy a GT game on release, GT5 promised the word but delivered little, even after the updates they did i just never could get into it, the very first GT game was the best, it has been downhill since then imo.

I get that it is supposed to be more of a simulation, but most people don't really want that, the racing was just too bland for me, i found the racing on Forza to just be more exciting both online & off.

In what possible ways can the first game be better? And most people buying Gran Turismo want a simulation given that's what the series reputation is based off and 3, 4, and 5 sold absurd amounts for a game in the genre.

KORNdoggy

i wonder if that fifth is more then if it released exclusively on PS4?

maybe the whispers of a PS4 port have just made people hold off?

SparkTR

There was nothing they could do, so few people have a PS4 right now so if they released it on that it would have fared much worse, but the PS3 is overshadowed by the next gen launch.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The demo a while back wasn't great either.

NeoGash

Next-gen taking the spotlight, plus GT5 basically got the most out of the system anyway, so there wasn't a night and day difference. I have no doubt that GT7 will be massive.

Hasney

Quick, someone convince Sony that no-one bought it because of microtransactions in case they go down the MS pay-to-win rabbit hole.

Probably not going to happen, but it's worth a shot.

Savitar

Even with a superior selection of cars you look at the game and compare it to next generation and it looks rather primitive in comparison and let's face it, we really do tend to like pretty things.

ActionMan

Maybe it's the next gen impact and maybe it's the fact that I now buy most games on PSN rather than as physical copies. The Day1 Digital is so convenient.

Dinjooh

All those who were saying the larger user base(PS3) would have made more sense than the now 250k+ in the wild(PS4) are looking quite silly right now.

Even though GT5's initial numbers were far more impressive, i'm expecting this game to have long legs. Not getting GT5 numbers, but getting close.

I am surprised how few people bring up the fact that it is now digital. if this is chart track then they are counting physical sales. I purchased GT6 as well but digitally. I wouldn't be surprised if a large amount of people who do so will be uncounted by the retail trackers.

Zemm

People do realize the PS4 install base is 2.1 million right now,no way will it have sold more.

People will have picked this game with the PS4, plus looking at these numbers it couldn't have done worse. Also would have longer legs on the PS4 as new people buying the console would have a good chance of picking this up.

Definitely understandable.

I got a PS4 and after playing that all weekend last week, now I've been playing GT6 all weekend this week and the PS4 hasn't been on. But I'm a GT nut. And I don't know if I think casual people who have GT5 really need GT6 to be honest. GT6 is a great revision of GT5 and I love many things about it, but it doesn't give me anything that I think is an essential new experience for more 'casual' car lovers.

I also think the social integration is really lagging behind. The licence test integration is great, but everything else is meh so far.

I hope they push for a PS4 release sooner rather than later. GT6 is great, with way more support for day-night, weather etc., but a lot of it would benefit a tonne from being on PS4, particularly the social features would be fantastic. Imagine posting a nice replay, or a picture of a great new car you bought, seeing in the Live Area what trophies your friends unlocked, etc.

I already found myself checking the trophy list in the trophy app too to see if I had any rare trophies (there was one, for winning a race in a car from 1959 or older, at the time only 1.4% had it).

That said, I'm still partly happy it's on PS3 as well - I only have one PS4, and that's in the living room. This PS3 is in the study with my steering wheel. :) Though with really good support for the new controller, I would have liked that too.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It should eventually end up selling 4-5 million units but it sure is an odd time to release the game.

Dinjooh

I'm a huge GT fan, but hearing about the microtransactions turned me off. I'm also eying Project Cars now.

If I didn't read GAF, I wouldn't have ever known that microtransactions were in it. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in the game thus far - Doesn't make it acceptable, but it hasn't changed the GT experience at all.

Damn outside of TLOU Sony's 1st party is having a rough year sales wise despite performing critically well. ( At least on the PS3 side)

I still expect the game to have good legs and may entice PS4 owners back to PS3 during the inevitable summer drought.

dc89

People have just dropped £350-500 on new consoles and stuff. Something has to give.
I want so many games that I simply can't afford right now. GT6, Zelda: ALBW, Bravely Default to name just a few.

Seanspeed

Banned
Series fatigue?
Cross gen would have been a smarter decision maybe but I think this game will have really long legs and will achieve GT5 LTD sales eventually.
People waited a really long time for GT5. I think people were really itching for it by the time it came out.

But now they've got their GT/PS3 fix and while GT6 will still have fairly long legs, its not going to have that same 'gotta have' aspect that GT5 did because of being the first 'next gen' GT game. Gotta remember that its not just hardcore fans who buy these games.

I would have thought a larger install base would have offset this somewhat, so while it not selling as much as GT5 isn't surprising, the amount by which it is short probably is.

Top Bottom