• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kazushige Nojima (scenario writer) wants Final Fantasy X-3 to happen

Crisis Core had a good story, but largely because they went the logical route of making a prequel and new characters either died or were sent off to do something else to not interfere with the plot, unlike using those characters in a sequel leaves gaps and questions as to where the fuck they were in the first game, etc.

Forgot about CC, Genesis sucked though. I didn't like him at all.

Well to be fair, FFXV is a new thing while this shit is a sequel for a game with a story that is completely finished. I honestly can't think of a sequel FF with a good story. Dirge of Cerberus, Advent children, X-2 ect. all had suckish stories imo.

That's actually the good thing about NEW installments. You can start fresh. Sure, you can start fresh and fuck it up(FFXIII's ending, among other things), but you at least have the opportunity to do something new without the baggage of an already established world full of already established(and fan favorite) characters. Once you go back and say, "Yeah, it wasn't happily ever after! The characters you love and know weren't able to live happy, fulfilling lives! More shit happened, and villains from the past came back *cough*Sephiroth*cough*Sin*cough*, so.... HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!", it kinda shits on the finality you felt these characters deserved. Especially in the FF series, where change is supposed to be a big theme, is hailed by the fans of the series as a golden rule, but some fans and Square Enix themselves CAN'T FUCKIN GET PAST fuckin with old stories and world and just move on towards the light of TRUE progression, no direct sequels or continuities of past games, just a continuation of the FF series by creating new worlds, new characters and new ideas.

I really think the whole "change" mumbo jumbo's just PR rhetoric bullshit, used to make things sound good and progressive, but it's clear who just can't get over the past.

Crisis Core had a good story, but largely because they went the logical route of making a prequel and new characters either died or were sent off to do something else to not interfere with the plot, unlike using those characters in a sequel leaves gaps and questions as to where the fuck they were in the first game, etc.
Crisis Core was the ultimate padded out adventure, taking a straight forward event from FFVII's past and padding the hell out of it with new concepts and fluff. It would be like making a prequel of Jecht/Braska/Auron's quest, then saying, somehow they were abducted by alien people and taken to a strange planet where they had to help the people conquer a dark evil(go on a new, strange adventure, meeting strange new people), then eventually are sent back to Spira only to finish their pilgrimage to result in what we already know happens. I don't have the stomach for that kinda of filler. Sure, Crisis Core WAS the best game out of the compilation(best written, at least), but it still doesn't make it any less pointless.

AllenShrz

Why is it good?

You're always the first to act like everyone is overreacting. Why don't you defend your position for a change? Why should we think positive here?

Dont even go there, Its impossible.

Shinta is a true believer of Church of Toriyama & Kitase.

KoopaTheCasual

Please for the love of god tell me those "spoilers" are fake. PLEASE.

That is the worst direction it could possibly take ):

Well, I guess Toriyama will still keep busy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpWZ4bli70Q

Full audio drama.

Incomplete summary from the uploader:
ReikiKirei (uploader) said:
- Most of this bonus audio are told by 2 characters: Chuami and Kurugum. They are sent to Besaid Island by Baralai to search for Yuna.

- Tidus isn't together with Yuna anymore, but of course, the real reason isn't explained. At the beggining of the drama, when Chuami, one of the protagonists asks Yuna about Tidus being her boyfriend, she still confirms, but at another point (although
I'm sure it's a lie) when the 2 protagonists are spying a convo between them, she is jealous about some Tidus' friend (Marufi - a friend according to him). Then, she tells him she doesn't care anymore and apparently got another person she likes. Weird enough, he just ask: Who?, which she replies "Someone you don't know."

- Later though, Tidus asks Lulu if she know about who could be Yuna's new love. Lulu gets pretty disappointed and says she thought Tidus would know Yuna a little bit more. She then tells Tidus to figure it himself.

- The weird part about this is when Kurugum, the other protagonists, tells Chuami that he likes Yuna and they should separate from each other. (Like they are trying to induce people to believe he is Yuna's new love, but I doubt it could be, as he has a voice of a 14 years old kid).

- Tidus is still a Blitzball star, but when Chuami handshake him, she notices he's pretty injured and with no energy at all, although he is trying to hide it. Later, when she meets him again, hiding from someone in Bevelle, she also notices he's injured. This may be related to why he and Yuna aren't together anymore.

- Apparently, Yuna woke up from her "bad dream" (aka her FFX-2 version) and is talking like her FFX self again. Rikku and Paine aren't mentioned in this bonus audio.

- Sin is back, although it's not explained why and how it's back. It's told, however, that it was activated by something (note that they use the word Summoned anymore).

- One of the protagonists (Chuami) of this bonus audio drama claims to be Auron's daughter, although this is confronted by Lulu when she mentions about it. Lulu even saus she doesn't look like Auron like Yuna looked like Braska and Tidus looked like Jecht.

- When she asks Lulu if her mother is a liar, she tells her that she wouldn't go so far, but if Auron was really her father, he would definitively make sure she would know, because that's how Auron was.

- In the end of the bonus audio, Yuna's famous words from FFX about defeating Sin are back, with the crowd cheering. You know what that means, right?

Forgot about CC, Genesis sucked though. I didn't like him at all.

You mean you didn't like hearing about THE GODDESS?

He had a nice sword though, wish I could find a rl plastic replica

Crisis Core was the ultimate padded out adventure, taking a straight forward event from FFVII's past and padding the hell out of it with new concepts and fluff. It would be like making a prequel of Jecht/Braska/Auron's quest, then saying, somehow they were abducted by alien people and taken to a strange planet where they had to help the people conquer a dark evil(go on a new, strange adventure, meeting strange new people), then eventually are sent back to Spira only to finish their pilgrimage to result in what we already know happens. I don't have the stomach for that kinda of filler. Sure, Crisis Core WAS the best game out of the compilation(best written, at least), but it still doesn't make it any less pointless.

The only part of CC's expanded part I don't really like is how
the plot makes Zack out to be some kind of demigod, whereas in the original game he was just a nice guy who had history with the party's females. Having him kill helicopters and Metal Gears at the end ruins the sublety of his death in FFVII where this "awesome badass SOLDIER" gets cut down by two MPs, the same grunts you are destroying in one hit at the beginning of the game.
It does a good job of showing why Aerith cares so much about him, since this part is pretty blink-and-you'll-miss-it in VII

MechaX

- When she asks Lulu if her mother is a liar, she tells her that she wouldn't go so far, but if Auron was really her father, he would definitively make sure she would know, because that's how Auron was.

On one hand, I am surprised that they squarely took on the one problem with this
Auron's daughter
approach that I think everyone picked up on immediately.

On the other hand, oh boy does this all sound like a headache waiting to happen.

Squire

Banned
On one hand, I am surprised that they squarely took on the one problem with this
Auron's daughter
approach that I think everyone picked up on immediately.

On the other hand, oh boy does this all sound like a headache waiting to happen.

The established lore is going to be irreparably fucked, but yes, I respect that they (well, Nojima) respect Auron's established characterization.

KoopaTheCasual

What? Who the fuck is the writer?

I don't even.... I can't....This company....

Im losing my hopes for FFXV.

Completely different writing team, but this doesn't inspire confidence in SE's upper management, that they'd let this ACTUAL j-drama go out the door, wearing the FF name.

B.K.

I can't say I'm surprised. I always assumed the whole point of the new audio drama and the X-2.5 book was to setup X-3.

Shinta

Banned
Why is it good?

You're always the first to act like everyone is overreacting. Why don't you defend your position for a change? Why should we think positive here?

I have barely even heard a thing about this game, so I'm not arguing it's amazing, or horrible. We barely even know anything.

But typically, having more family allows more opportunities to expand the character. Auron was always a father figure for the whole game already, so it fits pretty well.

And in my mind, a new character is always a plus. Auron is one of the cooler characters too, so the idea of a female character similar to him sounds pretty awesome to me.

I don't see a single downside.

You mean you didn't like hearing about THE GODDESS?

He had a nice sword though, wish I could find a rl plastic replica

The only part of CC's expanded part I don't really like is how
the plot makes Zack out to be some kind of demigod, whereas in the original game he was just a nice guy who had history with the party's females. Having him kill helicopters and Metal Gears at the end ruins the sublety of his death in FFVII where this "awesome badass SOLDIER" gets cut down by two MPs, the same grunts you are destroying in one hit at the beginning of the game.
It does a good job of showing why Aerith cares so much about him, since this part is pretty blink-and-you'll-miss-it in VII
The ONLY good parts of CC, IMO, was that related to the event it was based on(namely the stuff with Zack and Aerith, and Cloud). Still, everything else.... urgh!

- Apparently, Yuna woke up from her "bad dream" (aka her FFX-2 version) and is talking like her FFX self again. Rikku and Paine aren't mentioned in this bonus audio.
Wait, so they are retconning FFX-2, or somehow, Yuna just "grew out of it"? LOL!!!

They have different writing teams for different projects. Not a good idea to stick with concrete judgments like that.

Didn't they say Nojima wrote the "new" stuff?

Squire

Banned
Completely different writing team, but this doesn't inspire confidence in SE's upper management, that they'd let this ACTUAL j-drama go out the door, wearing the FF name.

Kazushige Nojima is and has always been the lead writer on XV. He wrote X, X-2, X-2.5, and it stands to strong reason he'll write X-3. Not sure where this "completely different writing team" stuff is coming from. You have the same guy setting the tone and making the big plot decisions for both projects.

Kazushige Nojima is and has always been the lead writer on XV. He wrote X, X-2, X-2.5, and it stands to strong reason he'll write X-3. Not sure where this "completely different writing team" stuff is coming from. You have the same guy setting the tone and making the big plot decisions for both projects.
I AM pretty sure Nojima DID write this new stuff. Didn't all the gaming sites make it a big deal that Nojima was contracted for additional scenario stuff for this(FFX/FFX-2 HD)? I'm pretty sure I at least saw a story at Siliconera months back.

Even after all the bullshit toriyama has pulled off, which never ceases to amaze, I still can't believe what I've read in this thread.

SE stahp.

Have you ever met a teenager before?

Teens change all the time. Rarely do they start off one way, change personality and then revert to who they initially were. Usually adolescent change results in growing/maturing into an adult. Though, a part of me would love to think her waking up from the bad dream that was FFX-2 was literal, as in it NEVER HAPPENED! Of course, that's wishful thinking(considering they HD-ed it).

Squire

Banned
I AM pretty sure Nojima DID write this new stuff. Didn't all the gaming sites make it a big deal that Nojima was contracted for additional scenario stuff for this(FFX/FFX-2 HD)? I'm pretty sure I at least saw a story at Siliconera months back.

Nojima wrote this new material, yes.

I made this a point in the FFX/FFX-2 re-arranged OST thread. Just because the original writer/creator might have an idea of what to do doesn't mean it will turn out good. If that's the case, we call all excuse George Lucas for the asinine things he did with the SW franchise. And as far as Nojima is concerned, he's not flawless. He came up with a lot of the ideas in the FFVII Compilation, which overcomplicated the world as a whole, bringing in ideas and concepts that made the entire FFVII series of events a jumbled piece of crap(of course, Kitase and Nomura aren't getting off scot-free, as they are to blame as well for some of the idiotic ideas). While sometimes creators DO have good ideas for their stories, just by default, BECAUSE they are the creators doesn't mean they automatically know best. They can fuck things up if they really want to(LOL).

EDIT: Just saw the art.
While I think I like Tidus with a bandana(and Yuna with long hair and Auron's daughter look nice), the idea of Yuna and Tidus breaking up and the return of Sin shows that Square is grasping for straws regarding ideas. And if there was any obvious proof to what I said regarding a creator NOT always knowing what's best for their creations...well.....

A funny side note, I always suspected Nomura had that "type" of girl he shoehorned into the "main heroine" role, kinda like Tifa and Rinoa. Garnet, a non-Nomura heroine, also took up that "look". Funny to see, while knew Yuna was somehow fitting that look(though with shorter hair, her long hair art is a total spitting image of the Tifa/Rinoa look. Hell, she looks like Tifa and Rinoa there!
Holy crap you couldn't be more spot on about that art. The long hair DOES look like them.

All I hope is for this game to connect the links between this and VII.

Shinta

Banned
Teens change all the time. Rarely do they start off one way, change personality and then revert to who they initially were
Well maybe it's just me, but I've literally known a ton of people who did exactly that. They kind of rebel and change as teens, then turn out more similar to how their parents were. It's pretty common. Honestly, I did almost the exact same thing.

Verendus

Banned
This piece of crap better not be the other FF game we're supposed to be getting this generation. That would be a huge disappointment. I refuse to believe.

Shinta

Banned
Oh, so they have a realistic approach?

My bad, sorry for misunderstanding their intentions. Go forth SE, you can't do no wrong.

One of these days one of your posts might actually have a complete idea, and your rationale for it. I have faith it'll happen one of these days.

wmlk

This piece of crap better not be the other FF game we're supposed to be getting this generation. That would be a huge disappointment. I refuse to believe.

The "other FF game"? Don't tell me you knew about this "other" game, too. It's a little hard to believe considering how off-the-wall this is.

Man are they milking themselves dry.

Rinoa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpWZ4bli70Q

Full audio drama.

Incomplete summary from the uploader:

RiAgsHw.gif

That was painful to read.

Verendus

Banned
The "other FF game"? Don't tell me you know about this game, too. It's a little hard to believe considering how off-the-wall this is.
Of course not. How do you read that from my comment? Is it the part where I'm astounded that FFX-3 is possibly in the works, or is it just your lack of reading comprehension?

wmlk

Of course not. How do you read that from my comment?

My bad, I meant the mere existence of another FF game besides XV, XVI, and the supposed VII remake. I'm just saying knowing about another FF game would just make me lose hope. I just have no idea how they expect to do this much with a brand in such a short time.

I'm also at the point where I want to see an FFVII remake happen, but mostly so that people will fucking stop asking for it. On the other hand, that might get people to start asking for Agni's Philosophy to get turned into a game, and not only would it probably make a terrible game, it's so obviously something whose genesis was essentially "holy fuck if we make a tech demo based off of an existing FF game everyone will think we're going to remake it! let's never, ever do that again!" and *still* the same assumptions happen. Still waiting for that FF8 remake on PS2 based on the dance scene tech demo, people.

Well maybe it's just me, but I've literally known a ton of people who did exactly that. They kind of rebel and change as teens, then turn out more similar to how their parents were. It's pretty common. Honestly, I did almost the exact same thing.

That's kinda still a progressive change. Rarely do kids start off a certain way then go back to that way after they've got past their rebellious and angst ridden years. Usually, you never go back to what you originally were, but become someone entirely different(with years of experience and the wisdom's that come with age). Hell, turnning out more similar to how your parents were IS a change from who you initially were. Rarely do kids/teens start off like that. Even if Yuna has grow out of her wild streak, I doubt she'd revert to her FFX self. Realistically speaking, she would've grown into someone new, and have taken her wild experiences into account, being more wise to the world, and more mature in the process. Though, playing devil's advocate(muahaha), the description was vague. Maybe she DID mature into something new.

oni_saru

maybe FFX3 will show how it ties to FFVII. then ppl will get hyped at the conection, then SE finally decide to release the FFVII remake everyone has been begging for. maybe

lol yeah right. i'm so pissed about those epilogue spoilers. >:| just terrible.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
maybe FFX3 will show how it ties to FFVII. then ppl will get hyped at the conection, then SE finally decide to release the FFVII remake everyone has been begging for. maybe

So after XIII we get two XIII sequels, another MMO, a XIII spinoff rebranded as a main title, a X sequel, and a remake that is retroactively made into a X sequel.

It's like throwing trash into garbage bin into landfill.

Verendus

Banned
My bad, I meant the mere existence of another FF game besides XV, XVI, and the supposed VII remake. I'm just saying knowing about another FF game would just make me lose hope. I just have no idea how they expect to do this much with a brand in such a short time.
I knew of three. XV, another one which had a concept demo showcasing summons and traversal involving them and what I initially called FFXVI but now refer to as just another FF, and finally FF7. The middle one is what I assumed to be FFXVI or the next FF project beyond XV. This one comes out of nowhere. These spoilers are very detailed though. I'm hoping this is mobile, because if it's not, that means there is no FFXVI at the moment. There's no way SE can be doing this many big FF projects.

Soriku

Auron's daughter? Fuck? Who was Auron smanging in secret?

How is Sin back unless they do time travel? They broke the cycle at the end of X.

Also what is this implying?

-In the end of the bonus audio, Yuna's famous words from FFX about defeating Sin are back, with the crowd cheering. You know what that means, right?

I knew of three. XV, another one which had a concept demo showcasing summons and traversal involving them and what I initially called FFXVI but now refer to as just another FF, and finally FF7. The middle one is what I assumed to be FFXVI or the next FF project beyond XV. This one comes out of nowhere. These spoilers are very detailed though. I'm hoping this is mobile, because if it's not, that means there is no FFXVI at the moment. There's no way SE can be doing this many big FF projects.

Traversal revolving summons? Like FFXIII-styled transformer summons, or, like, REAL ones(non-robotic ones)? LOL! That sounds interesting....

Famassu

Yep. He's going to be director on this and at this rats? He'll probably co-author the story with Nojima.

Who's still writing FFXV, btw. I'm sure everyone will continue to be thrilled about that games story, even after this.
Toriyama is probably responsible for the shitty stuff in this, like say he has all these
Auron's daughter, Sin is back, Tidus-Yuna-some third wheel Jdrama BS
ideas and Nojima can do nothing else but include those elements into the story and try to make it work. There's still a big enough possibility FFXV's story will be mostly fine because Nomura has said it doesn't focus on romance and the story doesn't have stuff like
Sin who could even come back for some stupid as hell reasons.

That is, FFXV doesn't have the backage of an already established world and a history of events like the destruction of Sin NOT TO EVEN MENTION that, more importantly, the setting and basic premise itself seems to make a lot more sense (it's a world of nations at war, politics & scheming instead of giant monsters who are actually fathers of the main characters and whatnot).

wmlk

That's exactly what I'm thinking. There are optimists who think that SE can right the ship after their mishaps the previous generation. Well, considering how much game AAA game development costs and expectations are exponentially rising for decades, I'm not exactly confident in them. FFVII is probably as large in ambition as XV, and that will for sure take forever to develop. Oh, they actually have KH3 to worry about which will also drain resources (I know it's the Osaka team, but Nomura is still co-directing the game). Oh, and didn't Nomura mention that sequels to XV might occur? Now this...

XVI probably won't happen this generation thinking about it.

Top Bottom