• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Army of Two demonstration (42 minutes!)

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Quick count:

How many wounds stuffed with tampons, occurrences of self-congratulatory one-liners containing underlying gay subtext, or uses of derogatory slurs aimed at people of Middle Eastern descent?

Just want to gauge the innovative aspects of the game.

Dalauz

AgentOtaku said:
whats the date of the build their showing?
by the page:

02/02/2008
Por: Keitaro
EA nos muestra Army of Two

Asistimos a la presentación de la nueva franquicia de EA.

A continuación podéis ver la presentación al completo de Army of Two que se ha celebrado esta pasada tarde en Barcelona. Son 42 minutos de video en los que Alberto Martín, Jefe de Producto de EA en España, nos muestra las características principales de su nuevo título, enfocado al público más veterano.

También podéis ver un par de videos adicionales del juego en acción.

Army of Two se encuentra prácticamente terminado y hará su salida el 14 de marzo en PlayStation 3 y Xbox 360.
thats pal land and spanish dub, so maybe was the final build?

The Crimson Kid said:
Quick count:

How many wounds stuffed with tampons, occurrences of self-congratulatory one-liners containing underlying gay subtext, or uses of derogatory slurs aimed at people of Middle Eastern descent?

i haven't been following this game until recently, but i haven't picked up on any gay subtext... care to explain?

Clinton514

Is there any hope for the PS3 version? We've only seen the 360 version demoed at every event they've been at.

I own both consoles, I just want to know how it turns out.

Nizz

Clinton514 said:
Is there any hope for the PS3 version? We've only seen the 360 version demoed at every event they've been at.

I own both consoles, I just want to know how it turns out.
Same here. Every public showing I've seen of this has been on 360. Just like the days leading up to Assassin's Creed, when they said it was just easier to get 360 devkits for public showings and the PS3 version was just fine :( Never played AC myself but from what pretty much everyone said, the PS3 version had it's problems. I really hope the PS3 version turns out well. I'd love to play a Gears type game on PS3. Looks like both versions being delayed worked for the better cause the game is looking more polished.

smik

its looking alot better, but my only gripe is that the Multiplayer Online is only 2v2 :( that is kinda a bummer a 4v4 or even a 2v2v2v2 would have been great.

smik

There is a Devlopers Q&A Thread at Ao2 IGN boards with Reid Schneider

Here are some quick points

How did you guys come decide upon making a game completely around Co-op?

RS: The team has a lot of people on it who are huge fans of COOP gaming. When we started, we went back to great COOP gaming experiences from when we were kids. Think Contra or Double Dragon. We wanted to take those type of experiences and bring them to next gen.

RS: Also, there are a lot of GREAT games (HALO, Gears) that have COOP play as an extension. We don¡¦t want to take anything away from those titles, they¡¦re awesome experiences. However, the game we wanted to create is a bit different. Our goal was to make a game where you can¡¦t play by yourself. You need to be playing cooperatively, and tactically, with either a live friend or an AI partner. This marks the key differentiation point for Army of Two.

Will the guns have their real life names or made up ones?

RS: Depends of the guns. :) The most important thing about our gun experience is that we wanted them to be fully customizable to support the gameplay. This adds a light RPG element to the game. As you accumulate cash you can spend it on upgrades, or even pimp out your gun. These adjustments are not just cosmetic but rather change how you play the game, and your weapon¡¦s performance. Finally, if your partner has a gun that you like you can trade weapons with him and try it out.

Why was the game delayed? Ive read in magazines that the AI didnt live up to expectations and that there was problems with the camara.

RS: We delayed the game to give it the polish it deserved. Many people on the team have been working on the game for a long time. We had the whole game in place, and we made the call to give it that extra time to really refine it. We know many gamers are really anticipating this game and we don¡¦t want to disappoint. We felt that it was better to make people wait just a bit longer to give them a great experience.

RS: In terms of the AI, they can be pretty deadly now, and are never scripted. If you¡¦re not playing cooperatively and tactically, you¡¦re in a for a very tough time. The partner AI has also benefitted in a big way from the added time. We have found in focus testing that the way you play with him is really mimicking how 2 live people play together.

Will there be Downloadable Content? And if so do you have any idea on what it maybe?

RS: We are big fans of downloadable content. I can't reveal much right now, but let's say we would like to support the product post-launch.

How many players/modes/maps for multiplayer veruses mode?

RS: You can have four players (two teams of two). Versus mode is designed to feel like an extension of Campaign mode where you need to play cooperatively with your partner to succeed.
There are four multiplayer maps that are built for that mode from the ground up (Somalia, Afganistan, China, Iraq).
There are multiple modes that can be played inside each of those maps. You are always competing for cash like a real mercenary. When you accumulate cash you can buy more guns/armor. Also, your cash score is recorded and maintained on leaderboards.

Will you be able to remove HUD?

RS: Yes, you can toggle the HUD

Will enemies have life bars?

RS: Yes, enemies will have life bars. They will also have rank indicators (Grunts, Elites, Heavies, Special (Boss) )

Also notice has the voice acting changed?

RS: We did a lot of refining and polish work on the voice acting in the past few months. In our focus tests people have responded really well to it.

Character customisation how deep is it? and will there be different skins/faces to work with?

RS: There are a ton of different masks you can purchase in the game. Also, as you advance through the game you will get bigger/better armor

how big are the 4 Mulitplayer maps? and can the maps be cut up into smaller sections as its only 2v2.

RS: The maps are pretty large and some have vehicles in them as well. Unfortunately they can't be cut into smaller sections.

How long is the Single Player Campaign and How many difficulty levels will there be, which is best suited for skilled gamers.

RS: The single player campagin is pretty much the standard length for shooters today (COD, GEARS, etc) When you start the game you have 2 difficulty settings open. When you complete either of them, you open the hardest mode.

Is there a team deathmatch mode?

Will the Mutliplayer matches require a 3rd computer AI team mate or can you just play without them eg:(2v2 human players no Comput AI)

RS: Every versus mode game requires 4 players. Also there is AI in the maps that can be killed to earn more cash.

will there be an update to allow more players online?

How long exactly have you guys been working on Army of two.

RS: We have been working on it for about 2 years. A few people were doing concept work prior to that but for the majority it was about 2 years.

Did the old slogan of the US Army play a role in the naming of the game, cuz the old slogan was Army of One.

RS: No, we just thought Army of Two felt like it was the right name for the title.

How do you think this game will rate compared to the other shooters that are coming out this year, R6V 2, Cod 5 etc....

RS: We’re proud of what we have accomplished as a team on this title. I don’t want to speculate on what those games are going to score. We’re big fans of the COD and R6 series and We hope those guys do well. When it comes down to it we’re making a game completely focused on COOP, we hope people like that.

Finally i am most definitely going to buy this game, but as a consumer what would be your reason for me to buy this game instead of lets say R6v 2 which comes out the same time period

RS: With AO2 we’re making a game that is completely focused on COOP from the ground up. There aren’t any games like that out there that can offer that coop experience online or even offline (split-screen or with Partner AI). I liked R6V, but I have not heard too much about feature set of R6V 2. Anyhow, if you’re into COOP gaming you’re going to really enjoy AO2. The experience is fresh and different, and its not like other shooters you have played.

You guys got a real PMC to help you with the game, how much of what he told you did u guys implement into the game and how much is youre guys own thoughts of what would be cool.

RS: Our PMC consultant, Woodie Mister, was a great resource for us. He gave us some really interesting insights about how these guys operate in the field.

RS: Our original ideas for the healing mechanics came from him. Also when we began to develop ideas for our aggro system, he helped us conceive how this would manifest itself in a crossfire position in the field. The core idea of drawing fire away from your partner, and distraction, is very much a real world tactic.

How much of the game is real and how much is fictional.

RS: The core ideas about PMCs are all real. We researched companies like Haliburton, Blackwater, Aegis, etc. Its pretty amazing what these companies are doing, and how they operate. We present some core ideas about PMCs in the game. After that it’s up to the player to draw their own conclusions.

Like the two man army im pretty sure is fictional, cuz my bros in Afganistan and from what he says combats a bitch.

RS: Yes, a two man army is probably not realistic. :) That being said, these contractors do tend to operate in small squads.

Gun sounds effects are toy like in past videos, has this been updated since the polish do they have more grunt?

RS: Unfortunately trailers tend to have compressed audio so you can’t really judge based on that. And we did polish audio effects globally including guns.

Will enemies HUD icons be removable?

RS: No, though you will have the option to fade in/out health/ammo/subtitles.

Will there be a hardcore mode which is more realistic?

RS: Yes, when you complete easy and normal mode you unlock professional mode which is VERY challenging.

1. The video shows that you take an insane amount of damage before you die. They got shot about 50 times and still didn't go down. Is this because you have to be able to take a lot of bullets because there is so much action or is it because you want to make the game easier?

RS: We want the game to be a fun experience, this is not a simulation. We want players to enjoy the action and stay focused on it. Its not about making the game easier.

2. How does saving your partner work? Can you do it multiple times? And if so how many times? If one person stays alive and the other person just keeps on dieing will you be able to keep on reviving the other person?

RS: Saving your partner works like this. When one player loses all his health he goes to the knocked down state. At this point he can still shoot in a 360 manner but can’t move. When his partner comes over to him, he can drag him behind a cover or try to heal him on the spot. Healing him on the spot is almost always a bad idea since you’ll be in an enemies line of fire. What is cool is that while you’re dragging him to safety you both can still shoot and defend yourselves. Its very “Black Hawk Down.” This can be performed multiple times, there is no limit. However the game is over once both players go to the knocked-down state. Then you restart the mission.

3. Is this game more tactical or run and gun?

RS: The game requires tactics, and taking cover, but its very much a arcade style shooter at heart. On a comparison scale its way more Battlefield/Gears then Vegas.

4. Most games were either focused to be a very good multiplayer or a very good single player or an average single player and an average multiplayer. Which one would you say this game is?

This game is meant to be played with a live partner. The partner AI is fun to play with, and highly tactical, but nothing beats sitting on your couch at home and tearing through levels with a buddy. You need to cooperate to succeed.

5. Is the A.I. good enough to give you a challenge in multiplayer? Since there isn't much direct combat in multiplayer it is very important for the A.I. to be good.

RS: The AI is definitely challenging. They don’t cheat, but they are always trying to flank you and take you out.

Ok, you guys are making me work now. :)

Your guns are divided into 3 categories. Primary, Secondary, Special

Primary-Machine Guns and Assault Rifles
12 Different Guns
Upgradeable Items: Barrel, Stock, Frontmount (Grenade Launcher or Shotgun Attachment), Appearance

Secondary-Handguns
10 Different Guns
Upgradeable Items: Barrel, Cartridge, Suppressor, Appearance

Special Weapons-Sniper Rifles and RPGs
7 Different Weapons
Upagradeable Items:Barrel, Stock, Cartridge, Suppressor, Appearance

Note: Not all Weapons have all upgrades, you guys will have to see everything for yourself.

1.Alright so where do you start out at in the begining?

RS: You start out as a US Army Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia. There you meet up with a PMC operative named Phillip Clyde. Right after that we flash forward to the events surrounding 9/11 and you begin the campaign in Afganistan.

2. Does each playable charactor have different moves?

RS: No, they have identical moves/abilities.

3. In single player, can you choose who you want to play as?

RS: Yes, you can play as either Rios or Salem in single player.
Is this game a competitive multiplayer game at heart or would you say you worked harder on the single player?
RS: Actually this game is a COOP game at heart, everything is focused around that concept. The multiplayer will feel a lot like a coop version of counter-strike, where you gear up and buy weapons.

1. Can you use your custom weapons and armor in competitive multiplayer, and if so do you have to buy upgrades to your weapons or can you just start with them.
RS: In multiplayer you will buy your weapons, and gear, as you earn cash. The players with the most cash win. You can’t transfer campaign mode gear to MP.

2. What gun do you get when you first start a competitive multiplayer game? Do you lose all your weapons when you die?
RS: You start with a base kit and then you upgrade accordingly.

3. Since in multiplayer you win by having the most money will buying weapons reduce your amount of money which then reduces your score so that it's like you have to lower your score a little to buy better weapons? And also do you buy veichles?
RS: Yes, it’s a risk/reward scenario. Buying weapons lowers your cash, but ultimately makes completing objectives easier. You don’t buy vehicles, they are there to be used by either team.

4. How hard is the hardest difficulty in single player? Is it Call of Duty veteran hard or would you say that you tried to go the Bioshock way and make an easy but highly enjoyable single player?
RS: Its pretty hard, you unlock it after you finish easy or normal mode. It gives our testers here a challenge so good luck to you with it.

5. How much replay does this game have and why?

RS: The versus mode adds a lot of replayability. Also, when you use/buy different weapons while playing in COOP campaign mode (especially in hard) there are always new strategies and tactics to try out. Finally, when you play COOP with different people it changes the experience since none of the AI is scripted.

6. How long does it take to revive your partner?

RS: Reviving your partner is pretty quick, you’ll need to fill up a charge bar and be clear of the line of fire. However, if you’re getting hit with enemy fire the bar will reset. Its always a better move to drag your partner behind cover before healing.

lol, I've got more questions, hope you don't get mad that I'm asking too many.

RS: No problem

1. Since the reviving sequence is quick as you say would yo say it makes the game a little easier?

RS: No, it makes the game more tactical and keeps you inside the experience. We removed the mini-game to keep the player focused on the action

2. From the way the game is designed will you be knocked unconsious a lot and have to be revived or will it be a more rare occurance?

RS: It depends how you play. If you run and gun and don’t cooperate with your partner you’re going to die a lot. If you play smart and use tactics it’s a more rare occurance

3. Say your partner is in a lot of fire and you can't go save him at that moment. What happens, does he actually die or does he stay unconsious? Can the enemy kill him if you don't save him?

RS: Yes, he will die after his health ticks down to 0 and you have not revived him.

4. In versus if you die do you lose all your weapons.

RS: No

5. In versus do you think you'll trade shots more with the A.I. or the other team?

RS: It depends who you’re playing against and their skill level.

6. In versus it's a race to finish the objective right? Do both teams have the same objective and they have to do it first or do they have different objectives?

RS: Both have the same objectives. It’s a race to complete them.

7. In versus can you buy upgrades to your guns and armor?

RS: You can’t upgrade your guns in versus mode, but you can buy armor. You CAN buy new and more powerful weapons to take out the enemy.

8. You said there are different modes in versus. What are they?

RS: There is warzone, extraction, and bounties

9. How customizable are the matches in versus? Like can you take off certain weapons, guns, objectives, or stuff like that?

RS: Unfortunately no, you can’t do that.

10. Are there levels in single player, and if so how many and can you replay them at any time?

RS: Yes, the single player campaign is composed of levels. You can replay them at any time.

11. How does co-op single player work over live? Like does each person have a save file that only those 2 people can use or what? And also can you do co-op single player with random peole?

RS: COOP is based off saves and profiles over live. You can also play coop with random people if you choose.

12. I saw the video so I pretty much have an idea of how it works but just for some more clarification. Will rage mode be balanced? Like I noticed that if one person was shooting and the other person wasn't then they'd quickly get in rage mode but if the other person started shooting the rage mode would quickly be equal between th two of them. Is that true? And also how come when one person was in rage mode the other person walked up to someone in the face and the A.I. didn't shoot at him, will the A.I. completely ignore the person who isn't in rage mode?

RS: We have a mode called overkill. The way this works is that if one player holds the aggro for long enough they can execute this mode. When you enter overkill and you are on max aggro you do 2x damage but move slower. Your partner then goes stealth mode and can move faster and take out enemies.

13. How important of a tactic is rage mode? Will we be using it a lot in our games?

RS: Overkill can be used often or not at all. Aggro will need to be used constantly to be successful

14. Since people who preorder the game get 2 bonus weapons how do they get those weapons and is it possible for someone who didn't preorder the game to get those weapons?

RS: You will get a special code you can input and then you get the 2 extra weapons unlocked. If you don’t pre-order the game, you can’t get the weapons.

15. Is there anything you think you could've done to make the game better but couldn't because of time restraints, being too difficult, or any other reason?

Rs: Anytime you make a game there is always more stuff you would have liked to have added. I’ll save all that for the post-mortem after ship. ;-)

16. Did any game influence this game and if so what game?
RS: There are many titles that have influenced the game. Everything from World of Warcraft to Gears. But at the core I think we were all influenced the most by playing games like Double Dragon or Contra while we were growing up. These were the COOP experiences which left lasting impressions in our minds, which is what made us want to build AO2.
I asked my local GameStop if the March 3rd/4th release date is set in stone, or just a guess. Any confirmation on that?

RS: Its locked

Takuan

Hope the PS3 version doesn't suck. The game looks pretty fun, I'd be extremely disappointed if the PS3 version wound up with technical issues.

Teknoman

The Crimson Kid said:
Quick count:

They removed alot of that stuff in the revamped build. Specifically the tampon make shift stuff.

Top Bottom