• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising PC release date Jan 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Calculating real time dismemberments can be expensive, when those dismemberments can range in the hundred+ individual pieces. Rising's framerate on 360/PS3 drops like a lead weight when you go crazy with zandatsu, I'm certain because of their CPU limitations.

Parsnip

I find that there's always wiggle room in hardware requirements.
I don't have i5 2400, mine's an older i5-750. I expect the game to run just fine.
If the game chugs, I'll just reduce the amount of cuts in the options.

Don't panic.

DieH@rd

Banned
Calculating real time dismemberments can be expensive, when those dismemberments can range in the hundred+ individual pieces. Rising's framerate on 360/PS3 drops like a lead weight when you go crazy with zandatsu, I'm certain because of their CPU limitations.

PS3 version probably offloads that geometry cutting on ungodly fast SPEs.

Spaghetti

They are unproven in this department. And the logic in them lying would be to get more sales before word gets out on how the port actually runs.
you do realise platinum was immensely embarrassed at how sega's ps3 port of bayonetta turned out, don't you?

considering they made all their porting since then internal to ensure quality, i severely doubt they would go so far as to outright lie about the specs, especially when they've now got region locking and unsupported resolution issues working against them

The only logic here is they're new to PC.

Compare an i5 to the CPUs of the PS3/360, then tell me the game is CPU intensive so it needs an i5. With a straigh face.
i'm not sure if you remember the console version, but in zandatsu the framerate got pretty damn hairy even at the best of times when you were making several cuts, and i assume the console's amount of cuts you could make would be equal to medium level zangeki in the pc version (maybe even low, but who knows until it comes out)

so yes, with a complete straight face, the game running at 60fps solid, at 1080p (possibly, cannot remember the exact resolution mentioned when detailing how the minimum specs were decided), on high zangeki, in the most hardware intensive part of the game, seems like it would need a conservative estimate of an i5 to run smoothly

and i'm willing to bet it'll work just fine on my old phenom II X4 945

The only logic here is they're new to PC.

Compare an i5 to the CPUs of the PS3/360, then tell me the game is CPU intensive so it needs an i5. With a straigh face.

Assassin's Creed needs an i5 CPU that's overclocked if you want the game to run at 60 FPS. Because the game is optimized like shit. Console games can be CPU intensive for one reason or another, its certainly not impossible.

I don't have i5 2400, mine's an older i5-750.
I do too, except I overclocked mine to 4GHz.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Rising is still very short on a single playthrough, especially if you're running on a lower difficulty. I highly recommend everyone starts on Hard, or whatever the difficulty up from standard/normal is. The parry window is pretty damn wide on normal, making encounters much easier to cheese once you've got the basics down. The upgrade system generally negates any cruel difficulty curve that harder difficulties introduce.

Absolutely agree on the difficulty.

Normal lets you mash through a lot of encounters, too. Hard is definitely the preferred difficulty for your first playthrough.

I hope the Konami code still works. I started a Revengeance run on X360 and quit because I was working on S ranking every encounter.

I'd prefer to start on that difficulty instead of easier ones.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Assassin's Creed needs an i5 CPU that's overclocked if you want the game to run at 60 FPS. Because the game is optimized like shit. Console games can be CPU intensive for one reason or another, its certainly not impossible.

I do too, except I overclocked mine to 4GHz.

Holy shit how? Only got it myself up to 3.6GHz (boost off).

I'll also recommend playing on Hard, right off the bat. Rising is a bit easy for some reason, so 'hard' felt more like Bayonetta's 'normal'. If you beat the game on normal and later attempt hard on the same save file, you're going to have another easy playthrough ahead of you. I also steered clear of the wigs in all of my playthroughs.

Someone should mention this in the OT, if we're going to have another one for the PC release.

scitek

There are things in games that I accept slow the framerate, like tons of particle effects, lots of alpha effects, or any number of factors when using SSAA on any given game. It's just something that happens, and will likely always happen. I can make something as old as Half-Life bring my PC to its knees with the right settings (SSAO, etc.).

Gibbo

if the game doesnt appear in Steam in my region, im.assuming that the safest way to play this is by buying the key on Amazon and then redeeming the key and loading the game via VPN?

Jintor

I hope the Konami code still works. I started a Revengeance run on X360 and quit because I was working on S ranking every encounter.

I'd prefer to start on that difficulty instead of easier ones.

Because of the insane perfect parry damage bonus, revengeance difficulty is actually easier (for my money) than very hard.

Smash88

Banned
Waiting for that Durante resolution fix.

I'm giving it a chance, since I saw Durante would most likely fix it. The slicing mechanic looks awesome. I have an i7 4770k 4.2GHz - but seeing as this is a port I doubt I will see much use of it.

Grief.exe

I'm giving it a chance, since I saw Durante would most likely fix it. The slicing mechanic looks awesome. I have an i7 4770k 4.2GHz - but seeing as this is a port I doubt I will see much use of it.

We got word passed along to the development team, so hopefully Durante doesn't even need to touch it.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Res fix for what? This is supposed to go to 1080p.

Grief.exe

He was working on The Wonderful 101 and was doing supervision on Bayonetta 2 during development of MGR so I doubt he did anything with it.

Thanks guys.

Anyone heard anything whether the game is 120hz 120fps? or does it have some artificial capping like other console ports.

I believe they have only said 60 so far. They haven't said it was locked to 60 though.

Res fix for what? This is supposed to go to 1080p.

People who downsample and 16:10 monitors are going to have issues, without even getting into the proliferation of higher resolution monitors coming down the pipe.

No Love

Banned
It's going to suck playing this at 1080p. I want to downsample the shit out of it. Hopefully at least SGSSAA works so I can get rid of all aliasing.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
are there issues at 1680 x 1050? since that's lower than 1080p. or is it any 16:10 resolution

The game runs in 16:9 so you'll get black bars at any 16:10 resolution.

This is the norm these days, games that support 16:10 are becoming more and more rare, especially console ports.

BadWolf

Very Hard and Revengeance are locked only. I wouldn't recommend starting on those without having some moves purchased though.

Those who want the challenge can still play them from the beginning by entering a code on the title screen.

Its not like DMC where you have to play through the lower ones to get to the hardest difficulties.

ezodagrom

The game runs in 16:9 so you'll get black bars at any 16:10 resolution.

This is the norm these days, games that support 16:10 are becoming more and more rare, especially console ports.
The only thing I remember being mentioned about 16:10 resolutions is this:
I asked the producer for a supported resolution list, and all the standard 16:10 steps below 1080p were on there. So yes, there is 16:10 support.
So I guess it's too early to assume there will be black bars.

GWX

Yay, a friend of mine surprised me and gifted this for my birthday today ;) Now, to download 24GB of awesomeness with a 1mbps connection! :(

Gbraga

It's finally happening, I can't believe it! I need to finish GTA V until then, but anime won't let me.

Hey, just to confirm from our offices (JP is at Platinum), we're currently working on a resolution that you guys should see fairly soon.

Hopefully that resolution is 4K :p

Persona7

Banned
Hey, just to confirm from our offices (JP is at Platinum), we're currently working on a resolution that you guys should see fairly soon.

That is why you should have tried to get the game on GOG.com !

KL87OiQ.png

EDIT : you edited out that last comment about worldwide availability so my comment doesn't make sense now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom