• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spinoffs bigger than the original

Dali

lyre said:
At least I don't lack a penis. :p

Joking aside, I still consider the 3d Mario games to be spinoffs of the 2d games especially now that both lines of Mario will have new entries from how on (hopefully), just like how some say the MMX series is a spinoff of the original games. In other words, one hasn't replaced the other, thus one is a spinoff.

However I can't really comment on RE4 since that style of play seem to have permanently replaced the classic style of RE gameplay.

Wait, what? Mega Man X is a spinoff of the Mega Man series. Some people disagree with this? Didn't Mega Man 7 get released after the first Mega Man X game?

I think the "New" in the title of the handheld NSMB denotes that it is a spinoff. A spinoff that has its roots firmly planted in the original SMB games, but still a spinoff. Otherwise, instead of NSMB it would be called SMB [whatever number it's up to now]. NSMB is its own series now.

Spoit

I'm suprised with all the mario kart and smash talk, no one's brought up SMG's relative bomba to Mario Party 8

TJ Spyke

Dali said:
Wait, what? Mega Man X is a spinoff of the Mega Man series. Some people disagree with this? Didn't Mega Man 7 get released after the first Mega Man X game?

I think the "New" in the title of the handheld NSMB denotes that it is a spinoff. A spinoff that has its roots firmly planted in the original SMB games, but still a spinoff. Otherwise, instead of NSMB it would be called SMB [whatever number it's up to now]. NSMB is its own series now.

Mega Man X is a subseries. It's part of the "Mega Man" series, just like New Super Mario Bros. is part of the "Mario" series".

I will use biologly to as an anaolgy. "Mega Man" would be the genus, and "Mega Man X" and "Mega Man Zero" would be species within that genus (i.e. part of 1 franchise).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Spoit said:
I'm suprised with all the mario kart and smash talk, no one's brought up SMG's relative bomba to Mario Party 8

That might have something to do with the fact that MP 8 has been out a whole hell of a lot longer than SMG. Also, MP9 will kill MP8 sales while SMG will just keep on trucking throughout the generation.

lyre

Dali said:

In a way X is a spinoff but in others it's not. The X series takes everything that made the original games good, expanded upon it and added it's own flair; just like what a sequel is supposed to do, right? It's considered to be a spinoff, to me, is because it pretty much erases whatever story the original series had and replaces it with whatever it wanted to; barely a mention of the original series other than X was made by Dr. Light, Dr. Light's cameo appearances and robots are now common everyday sights instead of being special creatures.
And with that in mind, would you consider Megaman and Bass to be a spinoff or a sequel, since the game was often dubbed MM 8.5? :p

As for your other point, sure if you say so; but I can still consider the 3d ones to be the spin off series, the 2d games to be the sequels, and you can remain without a penis. :p

Xzior

lyre said:
However I can't really comment on RE4 since that style of play seem to have permanently replaced the classic style of RE gameplay.
What has the gameplay to do with RE4 being a spin-off or not, which it's not.

With that line of thought you must think that Aliens is a spin-off of Alien, since Alien is more horror whereas Aliens is more action...

lyre said:
Or even the 3d Mario games being spinoffs of the 2d Mario games.
So would you say that Wizardry 8 is a spin-off of Wizardry 7, since the graphics changed from 2D to 3D?

lyre

Xzior said:
*details details*

You and your pesky details.

Though in my defense, I've only been talking about series of games which have two simultaneously running lines of games, both of which has garnered their own success(es?). When Wizardy 7 and 8 become their own series of games, and Alien and Aliens (why are movies showing up now?) become two distinct, and successful, franchises, then we'll talk. :p

Dali

TJ Spyke said:
Mega Man X is a subseries.

Also known as a spin-off. Seriously, wtf people.

lyre said:
In a way X is a spinoff but in others it's not. The X series takes everything that made the original games good, expanded upon it and added it's own flair; just like what a sequel is supposed to do, right? It's considered to be a spinoff, to me, is because it pretty much erases whatever story the original series had and replaces it with whatever it wanted to; barely a mention of the original series other than X was made by Dr. Light, Dr. Light's cameo appearances and robots are now common everyday sights instead of being special creatures.
As long as you agree X is a spinoff.

And with that in mind, would you consider Megaman and Bass to be a spinoff or a sequel, since the game was often dubbed MM 8.5? :p

I guess that depends on the official line from Capcom. I haven't played the game so I have no idea if the storyline is direct continuation of MM8 or really anything about it. I think Sega says Sonic and Knuckles is a direct sequel to Sonic 3 so that wouldn't be a spin-off. MM and Bass might just be some side story. I usually just go by normal naming conventions unless it's painfully obvious that a game is part of a series' main line. Therefore until I know more about the game, going by the name MM and Bass is a spinoff.

jman2050

MisterHero said:
Super Mario 64 sold 10+ million copies. With Sunshine we can attribute that to the GC's smaller userbase, but we have yet to see how Galaxy will perform in its lifetime, especially if the Wii keeps going like it is.

SMB sold 40 mil, SMB3 is at around ~18 mil even if you don't count rereleases, and NSMB looks to approach that mark in the future. I don't think Galaxy will approach any of those, as awesome as it is.

EDIT - also, the loose interpretations of the term 'spinoff' is really screwed up. Metroid Prime a spinoff series? Really?

lyre

Dali said:
As long as you agree X is a spinoff.
Half and half, but that's just splitting hairs now. :p

I guess that depends on the official line from Capcom. I haven't played the game so I have no idea if the storyline is direct continuation of MM8 or really anything about it. Sonic and Knuckles is a direct sequel to Sonic 3 so that wouldn't be a spin-off, so I'd lean towards the saying the same about MM and Bass.
The game takes place more or less immediately after the last game, a new evil overlord appears, 6 new bots appear, 2 make a return (Tenguman and Astroman), you can play as Bass, and, you guessed it, Wiley has something to do with it all and if he doesn't initially he'll make himself have something to do with it all. Sounds like a sequel ... but it's kinda not ... (?). :S

Pesky details:
Dali's edit said:
MM and Bass might just be some side story. I usually just go by normal naming conventions unless it's painfully obvious that a game is part of a series' main line.
So would you consider MMnB to be a ... spinoff?

Dali

lyre said:
The game takes place more or less immediately after the last game, a new evil overlord appears, 6 new bots appear, 2 make a return (Tenguman and Astroman), you can play as Bass, and, you guessed it, Wiley has something to do with it all and if he doesn't initially he'll make himself have something to do with it all. Sounds like a sequel ... but it's kinda not ... (?). :S

Sounds like a sequel to me. So yeah it's a sequel of a main franchise entry like FFX-2.

edit: To clarify, I guess this would mean spinoff. Like if there was a game that took place around the time of DMC3, referenced some of the story elements from DMC3, and followed the exploits of Dante and Lady... and was coincidentally called "Dante and Lady" it would be a DMC spin-off.

Joei

The one that immediately comes to mind is the Mario RPG series. They spun off the Mario franchise with the original entry on SNES, and while not as successful as the platform series, they are definitely very enjoyable games with a big following.

And how about Ogre Battle -> Ogre Battle 64. A lot of people seem to like the RTS OB games much more than the original.

Immortal_Daemon said:
It's called "Mystic Quest" on the SNES, and it was my first RPG ever. Oh the fond memories...

Not that I even really have to say this, but the FF games didn't spin off of MQ; MQ was created after the original FF. A while after.

Ashhong

I'm shocked at some of these answers. You guys can't be serious can you? Half of those aren't spinoffs. RE4??? Vice City????

Jigsaw

Banned
ninja gaiden > dead or alive
blood omen > soul reaver
chrono trigger > chrono cross
final fantasy tactics > vagrant story > final fantasy 12
resident evil > 4 resident evil

it's not even called resident evil 4,it's called "four resident evil" respectively "four biohazard"

3440-cover_hires.jpg
bh4nm0.jpg

that's evidence enough,4re is a spin off!

TJ Spyke

Dali said:
Also known as a spin-off. Seriously, wtf people.

Not the same as a spinoff. Wario could be considered a spinoff. Death by Degrees could be considered a (terrible) Tekken spinoff.

Mega Man X is still part of the Mega Man series, just set in the future.

Forget it. Spin-off can be interpeted in different ways and this isn't worth arguing over.

MisterHero

jman2050 said:
SMB sold 40 mil, SMB3 is at around ~18 mil even if you don't count rereleases, and NSMB looks to approach that mark in the future. I don't think Galaxy will approach any of those, as awesome as it is.

EDIT - also, the loose interpretations of the term 'spinoff' is really screwed up. Metroid Prime a spinoff series? Really?
40 million as factual as that is (or even 18 million), is a very unfair standard to hold all the other games to. :p Especially when sequels now are expected to come out every year or every other year, not years apart as the Mario games are.

While I'm not the person who originally mentioned it, I guess Metroid Prime can be argued as a spin-off. It's a game in the main series, but the PRIME trilogy is a saga in itself. It led to a spin-off in Hunters. So Hunters might work I guess.

Ashhong said:
Vice City???
Vice City and San Andreas are not really definitive 'spin-offs' but they aren't GTA IV&V either. Maybe the 'Stories' games could be considered spin-offs?

Dizzy

Banned
What about Phantasy Star?

I'm not sure about sales numbers, but Phantasy Star online seems to be quite popular while many never played the old games on Master System/MegaDrive.

Pachael

No one mentioned Dynasty Warriors? (Sangoku Musou was supposed to be a simple fighting spinoff of Romance of the Three Kingdoms PC strategy game). Of course it's come to the point where the spinoff is uber popular and Koei's ROTK series is probably ending due to poor sales :lol

Heck, you can consider Sangoku Musou -> Shin Sangoku Musou to be another spinoff as the first was a 1-on-1 fighting game and the latter is the Dynasty Warriors we all know and love. (And has created the discrepancy between #s in JP v US versions).

Dynasty Warriors and The Sims are both good. Metroid Prime and Duke 3D fall into the same boat - they're sequels, not spinoffs, but they are not the same genre as the game that preceded them. Dune II is another example of that sort of game.

Also, World of Warcraft was in my original post...Starcraft is a good one, too.

Not sure how many copies Phantasy Star Online sold compared to the older Phantasy Star games, but that could very well be another good find.

Top Bottom