• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U outsold by Vita in UK in 2013, 3DS top selling console (Eurogamer)

Ouch, outsold by the Vita. That is quite the achievement. Nintendo has a rough couple of years ahead of themselves.

Not really. The number of deals on the Vita throughout the year was staggering. You couldn't go a week without there being a good deal (both price and value adds) on the hardware.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The Vita lives on the breadth of its whole library, not just a few mainstream retail titles. Retail is for last-gen poors, digital is where the cool kids are playing.

(That 41% drop though. Damn).

I'm getting pretty certain the Vita's dropping to very niche status in the west (deader than dead doesn't really mean anything), it's be consistently halving last years Quarterly result (which weren't spectacular to begin with, and I can only see that contradiction continuing over he coming years considering what we know it has lined up.

Wii U is in similarly terrible situation but we'll see what happens next year, considering that will likely be the systems strongest line up in lifetime.

Not really. The number of deals on the Vita throughout the year was staggering. You couldn't go a week without there being a good deal (both price and value adds) on the hardware.

Yeah the Vita was consistently sub £100 somewhere, pretty much clearance of stock.

SmokyDave

Don't handhelds usually outsell console? I was sure that was that case in the past.

Also, when did the U.K.suddenly become the sole most critical and important place in the world where sales matter? I was sure the U.K. has always favored Sony hardware historically.

I'm confused.
I guess the headline could've been 'Wii U outsold by fucking everything except its even deader predecessor'. People like to use the Vita as a low sales benchmark though, because it doesn't sell very well at all.

As for the UK, well, it's the only country that matters in this thread. It ain't Sonyland either, Nintendo 'won' last generation, and MS came second.

Yet it sold 41% less than the prior year :(

The Vita lives on the breadth of its whole library, not just a few mainstream retail titles. Retail is for last-gen poors, digital is where the cool kids are playing.

(That 41% drop though. Damn).
Well, the 2012 figures would include launch sales, so a drop would be expected. Doesn't say much about how the Vita's "normal" monthly sales did.

krizzx

The WiiU is pretty much a non-factor in the UK but sales aren't faring much better in mainland Europe and the other continents either. I think it's a very fair assessment to suggest that rough times are ahead for the WiiU.

The Wii U is still the best selling console in the Japan the last I checked.

The Sony name brand has always been the most popular in the U.K. To me, this news is like saying ice is cold.

RulkezX

That £99 2DS must have sold like crazy.

Feel sorry for the Vita , loving SS , P4G ( plus all the other PS+ games ) and playing AC4 or Lego Marvel in bed via RP.

The Sony name brand has always been the most popular in the U.K. To me, this news is like saying ice is cold.

Nope , UK is "whatever the fuck we like land" , last gen that was clearly Xbox

Vita is on life support in the West, a trend that's likely to continue. However, I do admire Sony continuing to support it, and increasing its value through PlayStation Now, remote play, etc.

When will Nintendo pull the plug. Will they see this calendar year out and pull the plug during 2015 or will they pull it early.

You know how sometimes when you're waiting at a turning to turn, and you have your indicators on, as does the car in front, and they're different speeds? And you see them coincide every 10 or so seconds, as one goes faster, starts completely alternating with the other, before catching back up again and going in time for a chime?

That's what Nintendo are going to do with console launches.

Poor WiiU.

However it is a great machine in my opinion and I think it will go the way of the Dreamcast (Dissapears quickly but leave a great number of quality games)...

Vita is the best handheld there is just now, the 3DS didn't keep my interest

Vita >>>> Wii U? That's kind of funny in a way... Still, can't spell 'hollow victory' without 'victory'! :D

As has been raked over elsewhere though, the fact that 3DS is the best selling hardware is confusing considering how little presence that console has in the weekly games charts. Software attach rate much be dogshit here.

Also, Xbone outsold by PS3 as well as 360 (Which may or may not have have sold better than PS4, depending on where you get your information)? Huh... that's certainly something...

Vita is on life support in the West, a trend that's likely to continue. However, I do admire Sony continuing to support it, and increasing its value through PlayStation Now, remote play, etc.

SCEE is doing a better job than SCEA. SCEE has a Tearaway bundle, does many Vita promotions. Where SCEA at?!

Yeah the Vita was consistently sub £100 somewhere, pretty much clearance of stock.

Yep, although the sub £100 price point wasn't as consistent as the various £150 bundles that included a number of games along with a 16gb memory card.

Yet it sold 41% less than the prior year :(

Yeah, it's strange it selling less with it being cheaper for most of this year. Memory card prices still putting people off? Lack of really compelling software? 2DS taking the wind out of its sails?

That £99 2DS must have sold like crazy.

Definitely.

FourMyle

Vita >>>> Wii U? That's kind of funny in a way... Still, can't spell 'hollow victory' without 'victory'! :D

As has been raked over elsewhere though, the fact that 3DS is the best selling hardware is confusing considering how little presence that console has in the weekly games charts. Software attach rate much be dogshit here.

Also, Xbone outsold by PS3 as well as 360 (Which may or may not have have sold better than PS4, depending on where you get your information)? Huh... that's certainly something...
It's cheap, parents buy it for their kids with a Mario or Pokemon game and that's it.

That means nothing when the sales themselves are pathetic and they're up against an aging, 7 year old hardware. When the PS4 launches that will likely change. Also let's not pretend Nintendo didn't dominate the UK at some point with the Wii (and DS) sales. The UK is flexible and doesn't have nearly as much a pro-Sony bias as people like to paint. The WiiU is simply a disaster everywhere. Just more so in the UK than most countries.

It's cheap, parents buy it for their kids with a Mario or Pokemon game and that's it.
Until the 2DS, the 3DS has been really expensive here and software continues to be criminally expensive. The XL still goes for £180 standalone in many stores and it's surprising to me that the 2DS didn't create much of a jump in sales YoY. I thought that Pokemon bundle for £99 would a ton of units.

Are there even any first party Vita games coming in 2014?

Since Bend isn't doing the PS4 Uncharted as previously rumored, maybe they are working on something.

3DS success is so bitter sweet when you look at the software side of things, though.

We are in an era where kids/teens are becoming accustomed to not spending much, if any money, on games. That, coupled with the 3DS's thinning 3rd party support compared to the absolutely insane DS support, and you got a recipe for software sales to downward trend.

Griss

You know how sometimes when you're waiting at a turning to turn, and you have your indicators on, as does the car in front, and they're different speeds? And you see them coincide every 10 or so seconds, as one goes faster, starts completely alternating with the other, before catching back up again and going in time for a chime?

That's what Nintendo are going to do with console launches.

This post blew my mind. I love watching that happen in traffic.

I think that's a terrible idea though, if you mean that they'll end up releasing a handheld and home console in the same year one day.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, considering those numbers were wrong, reverse extrapolation.

360 didn't sell 720,000 units in 2012, since, with that drop, 2013 sales would be well below what sold by PS4, but 360 outsold PS4 in 2013. So

360 in 2013 - >530,000 Which means 360 in 2012 - >764,791

Then, total hardware sales for 2012 > 2,679,715 units

Let's correct the code here, then

Code:
	Percent	Units (000s)
3DS	23.13	[B]>619,818[/B]
NDS	2.8	[B]>75,032[/B]
WII	7.09	[B]>189,992[/B]
WIU	3.17	[B]>84,947[/B]
PSP	2.61	 [B]>69,941[/B]
PSV	10.07	[B]>269,847[/B]
PS3	22.39	[B]>599,988[/B]
360	28.54	[B]>764,791[/B]

So, for 2013, we can estimate this

3DS (+4%) - >644,611
360 (-30.7%) - >530,000
PS4 - 530,000
PS3 (-31%) - >413,992
ONE - 364,000
VITA (-41%) - >159,210
WII U (+41.5%) - >120,200
WII (-72%) - >53,198

Mondy

Banned
Just nothing but diabolical news for Nintendo. Any advantage the Wii gave them financially will be completely pissed away by the time this Wii U debacle is over.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That means nothing when the sales themselves are pathetic and they're up against an 7 year old hardware. When the PS4 launches that will likely change. Also let's not pretend Nintendo didn't dominate the UK at some point with the Wii (and DS) sales. The UK is flexible and doesn't have nearly as much a pro-Sony bias as people like to paint. The WiiU is simply a disaster everywhere. Just more so in the UK than most countries.

Until the 2DS, the 3DS has been really expensive here and software continues to be criminally expensive. The XL still goes for £180 standalone in many stores and it's surprising to me that the 2DS didn't create much of a jump in sales YoY. I thought that Pokemon bundle for £99 would a ton of units.

Eh PS4 has a very real chance of doing quite badly in Japan for it's first year. You can almost count the number of Japanese centric games being released for it by third paries by with one hand (it's number of announced games Japanese games is only slightly more than the wii u and the wii U has far bigger franchises releasing). The Vita received far better third party support than the PS4 received in it's first year and was lot cheaper and still did crapply (remember this is Japan where handhelds completely dominate consoles).

It'll recover, but I can't see PS4 first year in Japan being pretty.

Ok, considering those numbers were wrong, reverse extrapolation.

360 didn't sell 720,000 units in 2012, since, with that drop, 2013 sales would be well below what sold by PS4, but 360 outsold PS4 in 2013. So

360 in 2013 - >530,000 Which means 360 in 2012 - >764,791

Then, total hardware sales for 2012 > 2,679,715 units

Let's correct the code here, then

Code:
	Percent	Units (000s)
3DS	23.13	[B]>619,818[/B]
NDS	2.8	[B]>75,032[/B]
WII	7.09	[B]>189,992[/B]
WIU	3.17	[B]>84,947[/B]
PSP	2.61	 [B]>69,941[/B]
PSV	10.07	[B]>269,847[/B]
PS3	22.39	[B]>599,988[/B]
360	28.54	[B]>764,791[/B]

So, for 2013, we can estimate this

3DS (+4%) - >644,611
360 (-30.7%) - >530,000
PS4 - 530,000
PS3 (-31%) - >413,992
ONE - 364,000
VITA (-41%) - >159,210
WII U (+41.5%) - >120,200
WII (-72%) - >53,198

It's PS4 > 360.

Just nothing but diabolical news for Nintendo. Any advantage the Wii gave them financially will be completely pissed away by the time this Wii U debacle is over.

No. Not even remotely true. Look into how much money Nintendo has. It's not a trivial amount. In fact, they are, or were as of last week, more valuable than Sony, even with the Wii U doom. They could continue on for years, and be fine. In fact, they could probably release another bomba system, and survive that too.

This post blew my mind. I love watching that happen in traffic.

I think that's a terrible idea though, if you mean that they'll end up releasing a handheld and home console in the same year one day.

I actually meant compared to their competitors - as in, they released the WiiU early, breaking from the other two after their sales flagged and they were being left behind graphically. WiiU sales haven't even had the initial success of the Wii (which was obviously phenominal) and people are already talking of them shelving it and putting out a replacement. Soon, the overlap will happen, and they'll release again with the others!

Maybe...

Where did you get this impression? Was it the fact that both the Wii and 360 outsold PS3 throughout last gen in the UK?

Eh PS4 has a very real chance of doing quite badly in Japan for it's first year. You can almost count the number of Japanese centric games being released for it by third paries by with one hand (it's number of announced games Japanese games is only slightly more than the wii u and the wii U has far bigger franchises releasing). The Vita received far better third party support than the PS4 received in it's first year and was lot cheaper and still did crapply (remember this is Japan where handhelds completely dominate consoles).

It'll recover, but I can't see PS4 first year in Japan being pretty.

I'm not suggesting that it'll be smooth sailing for the PS4, because there will most likely be a rough post launch dip in sales but it does have the backing of third parties and that will carry it on for much longer than the WiiU.

No. Not even remotely true. Look into how much money Nintendo has. It's not a trivial amount. In fact, they are, or were as of last week, more valuable than Sony, even with the Wii U doom. They could continue on for years, and be fine. In fact, they could probably release another bomba system, and survive that too.

I'd wait to next fiscal report from Nintendo with that. We still don't know what happened to that 10% of shares and if they weren't forced to buy them.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If we get a further price drop and bundle for the Vita, I'll bite.

Further price drop why? You can find the Vita way below MSRRP if your in the UK (as state din this thread below £100 or a very decent bundle). No idea if such deals are as rampart in the rest of the world.

Mpl90

That means nothing when the sales themselves are pathetic and they're up against an aging, 7 year old hardware. When the PS4 launches that will likely change. Also let's not pretend Nintendo didn't dominate the UK at some point with the Wii (and DS) sales. The UK is flexible and doesn't have nearly as much a pro-Sony bias as people like to paint. The WiiU is simply a disaster everywhere. Just more so in the UK than most countries.

I'm wondering how much having lower sales in Q1 impacted in UK. However, didn't the 2DS Pokémon released at the beginning of December?

SmokyDave

The life of a bandit king.
You're damned right. I even play it in a rocking chair to simulate the motion of the ocean. 4D.

What are people playing on the 3ds? Cause I only see the big guns(pokemon) charting for a while then disappearing.
Whatever Mum and Dad buy for them, I reckon. Then it's the long wait until xmas / birthdays before game #2 comes along.

pulsemyne

Where did you get this impression? Was it the fact that both the Wii and 360 outsold PS3 throughout last gen in the UK?

In many ways the last generation was a blip in the UK. It has never been very pro nintendo as far as home consoles go. Price really is king in the UK and sony coming it with the PS3 being way too expensive hurt it a lot. Now the situation has reversed with sony coming in with a cheaper and more powerful PS4. They are very much back on top in the UK.

sörine

Banned
I'm not suggesting that it'll be smooth sailing for the PS4, because there will most likely be a rough post launch dip in sales but it does have the backing of third parties and that will carry it on for much longer than the WiiU.
I feel like PS4 is going to be like PS3 in Japan but likely even more pronounced. It's probably going to bomb continually until late 2014/2015 when the non-crossgen blockbusters start showing up and we get a system redesign/relaunch. A decline from even PS3 userbase and FFXV being it's lone million seller are very real possibilities.

BKK

Nope, MCV was wrong. 360 outsold PS4 in 2013, it's in the article.

Yet both MCV and Nintendo's 2012 chart disagree with this article, so not sure how it's possible to conclude which is right or wrong.

Chart-Track have probably adjusted previous numbers which is leading to confusion when comparing to 2013 LTD.

I'm wondering how much having lower sales in Q1 impacted in UK. However, didn't the 2DS Pokémon released at the beginning of December?
Yes it did but December is also the biggest month of sales. I think the worry is what this means going forward? They're running out of cards to play at this point and the WiiU is showing no real signs of a recovery.

sörine;96950309 said:
I feel like PS4 is going to be like PS3 in Japan but likely even more pronounced. It's probably going to bomb continually until late 2014/2015 when the non-crossgen blockbusters start showing up and we get a system redesign/relaunch. A decline from even PS3 userbase and FFXV being it's lone million seller are very real possibilities.
At least it doesn't have the bottleneck price of the PS3. Still, I do agree that its fortunes will most likely mirror its predecessor. Sony is clearly treating Japan as 2nd tier themselves. Shame that only one dedicated system can thrive in Japan on a mainstream scale atm.

FourMyle

Let's hope that is the case. The less competitors in the console market space, the less quality games for us to play.

Mpl90

Yet both MCV and Nintendo's 2012 chart disagree with this article, so not sure how it's possible to conclude which is right or wrong.

Chart-Track have probably adjusted previous numbers which is leading to confusion when comparing to 2013 LTD.

See my post earlier in the thread, where I readjusted 2012 totals basing them on the fact 360 sold better than 530k in 2013. Only 5,000 units of Wii U make a difference.

Moreover, it seems MCV confused units sold with revenue.

EDIT: See what jvm says

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96606215&postcount=303

Mpl90

Yes it did but December is also the biggest month of sales. I think the worry is what this means going forward? They're running out of cards to play at this point and the WiiU is showing no real signs of a recovery.

I hope we'll get some graphs in April Investor Meeting, for Q4, about shares in major European countries, so we'll see what's the UK situation for 3DS, at least at the start of the year.

Finalizer

You're seriously trying to argue this with 7th gen staring you in the face.

GZWIHjC.gif

Top Bottom