• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita: “People look at it as the iPod of handheld gaming,” says Sony boss

liger05

“The market Vita entered was more complicated than it was when the console was originally thought about and designed. Games on tablets and phones have changed the marketplace and people can’t carry too many things around at one time.

If Reggie or Iwata said this about the 3DS they would get rightfully criticised. Sony should of seen where the market was going. FFS they are in the smartphone business.

Two Dreamcasts in one generation, it's quite amazing really.
Between them you've got an almost Dreamcastian software library at least.

Not a knock on either, but the Dreamcast failed in a spectacular style. I had some of the best of almost every genre on that platform.

Neither Vita nor WiiU are Dreamcast. Dreamcast had one of the best early software libraries of any console I've seen. It just got drowned out by an equally impressive software library in the pipeline, and some of the most advanced gaming tech on the market. I remember the forum talk after the first showing of MGS2 and ZoE. Ridge Racer. Hell even Orphen had buzz.

Silent Hill 2!

Dreamcast was the perfect console for the prior generation.

Metallix87

“The market Vita entered was more complicated than it was when the console was originally thought about and designed. Games on tablets and phones have changed the marketplace and people can’t carry too many things around at one time.

If Reggie or Iwata said this about the 3DS they would get rightfully criticised. Sony should of seen where the market was going. FFS they are in the smartphone business.

It's just nonsensical excuses anyway. Vita didn't fail because of mobiles. It failed because Sony screwed up.

liger05

It's just nonsensical excuses anyway. Vita didn't fail because of mobiles. It failed because Sony screwed up.

Oh I agree with that. Just find the excuse given is laughable considering if they really what was the case they should of forseen such a thing.

This Fergal guy has said quite a few things. He also said wait until the first Christmas when it was bombing.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sony needs to drop the prices of those memory cards its killing the system, I was unable to buy 3 games this week because I don't have enough memory and I can't buy a 32gb because they're always out of stock on Amazon and everywhere else wants stupid money

zruben

Banned
I can't really understand this hate of Vita system. i'm enjoy this system almost everyday

it's cool to hate things that don't sell well... you can even post charts and stuff if people disagree with you.

you can't do that with a succesfull console. You would look like a fool.

EDIT: to clarify, I'm just joking. People have been too sensitive in this forum lately.

What about the content of this thread or the article elicits a discussion on sales? It's not like he's promising increased sales are eminent. And honestly, what sales discussion has there been? I've just seen stuff like:

"I bet smokeydave is coming soon."
"Watch Smokeydave take up for his baby."
"iphone, more like _____!" x 63 times

Of course discussing the dreadful sales of vita isn't indicative of hate, but going into every thread related to the vita to say "lol, it's failing," is indicative of some preoccupation.

breakfuss

What about the content of this thread or the article elicits a discussion on sales? It's not like he's promising increased sales are eminent. And honestly, what sales discussion has there been? I've just seen stuff like:

Of course discussing the dreadful sales of vita isn't indicative of hate, but going into every thread related to the vita to say "lol, it's failing," is indicative of some preoccupation.

Guess vita has to take its lumps like everything else? LOL. The wii u threads seem worse, though. And don't even think about stepping into an xb1 or titanfall thread.

Exactly.

If anything, if you pull the quotes he made about sales it's that they aren't good. But people are harping on this comment completely out of context, basically reading the title and that's it. But if you point that out you have a persecution complex. Because that makes sense.

When the NPDs come in and the vita is sub 100k in december we can shit all over the sales and, in fact, I will join in. I've argued for the last year that Sony wasn't giving up on the Vita - and they aren't, but I've never argued that the sales were good. They are mediocre in japan, less mediocre in EU and completely awful in the US.

But that isn't what this thread is about. This thread is about driveby trolling by people who read the title and got their sweet ass cutdowns on the vita in. And father brain, of course, because if there's a vita post you know smokydave and I will be here saying we enjoy the system and fatherbrain will be here talking over and over and over and over about how it's not selling. Because we didn't know that.

Metallix87

Care to show how is he wrong?

Sony has announced all of their first party teams are working on PS4 content now. Sony outsourced Vita projects to fucking Nihilistic. SCEA is pretending the system doesn't exist, and spent two entire E3s ignoring the device. Sony's announced support for 2014 is bleak, to say the least, and they've more or less damned the device to "glorified PS4 add-on" status.

TomShoe

Banned

I wouldn't be so quick to call the Vita a failure. Even though it's still not selling as well as the 3DS, it's still keeping good pace and isn't too far behind Xbox One weekly sales at this point.

Just lobby Activision, pump out a few Call of Duty Vita's, system saved.

Right?

EDIT: It's sarcasm.

How, exactly, do we know that? We're not even a full three years into the system's life. I'm not saying that it will definitely hit DS numbers, but it'll at least blast past GBA's lifetime sales, and before anyone brings up timeframes, just remember that GBA launched at $99 and games cost $25 - $35.

Even if it hits GBA numbers, how would you explain the difference between the DS numbers and the 3DS's? You already said price but, as I said, the 3DS won't be priced as it is currently for all of it's life.

Dang0

I wouldn't be so quick to call the Vita a failure. Even though it's still not selling as well as the 3DS, it's still keeping good pace and isn't too far behind Xbox One monthly sales at this point.

Just lobby Activision, pump out a few Call of Duty Vita's, system saved.

Right?

Really? Can I get a source for that, cause last I heard, it was getting outsold by the Wii U.

Maedhros

Sony has announced all of their first party teams are working on PS4 content now. Sony outsourced Vita projects to fucking Nihilistic. SCEA is pretending the system doesn't exist, and spent two entire E3s ignoring the device. Sony's announced support for 2014 is bleak, to say the least, and they've more or less damned the device to "glorified PS4 add-on" status.

So, basically, your argument is based from your logic. I don't think it's a good proof, only a good guess.

But you already choose that they won't support it anymore.

Valkyria

Banned
How is Invisimals by the way? Is it worth looking in to?

Don't know, never tried any,they seems popular in Europe and they are developed here in Spain, and the pushed really hard they bundle with Vita this holidays. It was cheaper than a 3DS.

Metallix87

Even if it hits GBA numbers, how would you explain the difference between the DS numbers and the 3DS's? You already said price but, as I said, the 3DS won't be priced as it is currently for all of it's life.

The Nintendogs, Brain Age, etc. crowd abandoned ship, simple as that. They came in to the market last gen because of Wii and DS, and left at the end of it. It's possible that they will return eventually, but it will take a new, hit game, and obviously it's impossible to predict the likelihood of that.

That said, I don't think reverting to pre-DS numbers is so bad, necessarily.

So, basically, your argument is based from your logic. I don't think it's a good proof, only a good guess.

Please, provide me even some decent proof that Sony still has plans for Vita, and haven't more or less abandoned a sunken ship.

Its true though, the 3DS is selling less than the DS for those same reasons.

TomShoe

Banned
Really? Can I get a source for that, cause last I heard, it was getting outsold by the Wii U.

It's from
That Site That Shall Not be Named
, so please take it with a beach's worth of grains of salt. I doubt it's reliable at all.

When the NPDs come in and the vita is sub 100k in december we can shit all over the sales and, in fact, I will join in. I've argued for the last year that Sony wasn't giving up on the Vita - and they aren't, but I've never argued that the sales were good. They are mediocre in japan, less mediocre in EU and completely awful in the US.

I find it rather surprising that out of all the regions, it's the EU that it's doing best in and not Japan. What makes the EU so different to the US, it can't just be be Lol SonyLand can it?

Sony needs to drop the prices of those memory cards its killing the system, I was unable to buy 3 games this week because I don't have enough memory and I can't buy a 32gb because they're always out of stock on Amazon and everywhere else wants stupid money

Yep that's where I'm at also. I need a larger MC, but don't want to pay through the ass and feel ripped off. I was under the impression that the MC's where a high margin item for retail to sell. So why is on-line box shifters like Amazon charging so much I don't know.

For the record, I'm perfectly happy using my Vita as a JRPG and Indi game machine. If that makes me a niche well so be it. I can't make other people buy something that they don't want, so why worry about it?

Metallix87

Why should we care if they are announced on E3 or not? Another USA=World?

He's referring to time frame, not location. As he clearly stated, they were announced ages ago. Announcements of new content from Sony first party studios have more or less evaporated.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Why should we care if they are announced on E3 or not? Another USA=World?

No more the fact the large gulf of time since then and the fact titles haven't been announced since then, which would mean the next title from those regions will take around a year minimum from invizimals release (if that/at all), that's not healthy support of a struggling platform in a region by any stretch of the imagination.

Valkyria

Banned
He's referring to time frame, not location. As he clearly stated, they were announced ages ago. Announcements of new content from Sony first party studios have more or less evaporated.

So Soul Sacrifice Delta, Gravity Rush 2 and Freedom Wars announcement did not happen? Sony is not setting the world on fire, but claming they are not releasing games is lying, especially after all the 2013 releases.

No more the fact the large gulf of time since then and the fact titles haven't been announced since then, which would mean the next title from those regions will take around a year minimum from invizimals release (if that/at all).

Invizimals was released during Christmas in Europe. Not only you have clearly proved you don't have a clue what you are discussing, but also did not take the time to read my precious post where I explained they pushed really hard the bundle this holidays.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So Soul Sacrifice Delta, Gravity Rush 2 and Freedom Wars announcement did not happen? Sony is not setting the world on fire, but claming they are not releasing games is lying, especially after all the 2013 releases.

Those are SCEJ (since the platforms doing ok there) and are clearly not western focused. SCEA has pretty much given up (not that they tried all that much). I'm not saying SCEJ has given up, but the rest of Sony seems to have development wise.

Metallix87

Three games, all announced ages ago. His point is still valid, and honestly, those three show just the level of dedication Sony has to the platform. They're all from Japan, and aside from maybe Gravity Rush 2, all are outsourced at least partially.

Maedhros

Please, provide me even some decent proof that Sony still has plans for Vita, and haven't more or less abandoned a sunken ship.

I don't have any. The point is: neither you do. I won't try to guesswork though. I don't know what they plan to do with the Vita, if they plan to make another launch, price drop, transform it as PS4 companion/Indie machine.

Metallix87

I don't have any. The point is: neither you do.

The proof is in the pudding. All of Sony's upcoming Vita games are at least partially outsourced, there's only three of them and they were all announced ages ago, and ALL of Sony's first party studios are working on PS4 content.

I wonder what will be your next excuse. Four months is a long time ago and japanese does no count.

Fine, you just keep covering your ears, closing your eyes, and shouting "PS Vita is fine, and Sony will not stop supporting it" until the cows come home. That won't make it true.

Maedhros

Exactly.

If anything, if you pull the quotes he made about sales it's that they aren't good. But people are harping on this comment completely out of context, basically reading the title and that's it. But if you point that out you have a persecution complex. Because that makes sense.

But that isn't what this thread is about. This thread is about driveby trolling by people who read the title and got their sweet ass cutdowns on the vita in. And father brain, of course, because if there's a vita post you know smokydave and I will be here saying we enjoy the system and fatherbrain will be here talking over and over and over and over about how it's not selling. Because we didn't know that.

It's always the same people. I think you're being unfair. They just want to remind people why the platform is failing and you shouldn't buy one... on every topic about it (save the old/new Vita/PSN download topic).

The proof is in the pudding. All of Sony's upcoming Vita games are at least partially outsourced, there's only three of them and they were all announced ages ago, and ALL of Sony's first party studios are working on PS4 content.

Fine, you just keep covering your ears, closing your eyes, and shouting "PS Vita is fine, and Sony will not stop supporting it" until the cows come home. That won't make it true.

I just have other expectations. Even if their studios won't make games for it, if they outsource old ips for indie/smaller studios to make remakes/new versions of games, I'll be satisfied.

In fact, if it ends being an indie machine for SCEA, I would be OK with that, it's exactly why I bought the platform, mostly. The other being japanese games.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I wonder what will be your next excuse. Four months is a long time ago and japanese does no count.

8 months ago.

It's always the same people. I think you're being unfair. They just want to remind people why the platform is failing and you shouldn't buy one... on every topic about it (save the old/new Vita/PSN download topic).

Whose saying you shouldn't buy a Vita, Vita's a great platform for what it's offering.

Skyzard

Banned

PS4 is just taking off. Off course it needs the biggest and best studios right now.

There are a lot of talented devs that can make decent games to enjoy on Vita. Shitloads of major indies are coming (whether you can appreciate them enough or can consider ports like Minecraft and Binding of Isaac to be system-sellers. Plus a handful of big retail games. It keeps the Vita library healthy for its users and newcomers.
For the actual console to pick up, Sony need to pick a time to market the device again, and it's not going to be the first year of the PS4, new consoles are a big ask, cost wise, especially these days and Sony have the price in their favour right now too. Vita can't be advertised as a must-have anymore yet, even though it obviously is if you enjoy games.
It would need a heavy marketing campaign to get the Vita off (like double numbers, nice games wouldn't hurt either), now is not the time but it's certainly not unlikely.

And Vita is way more packed out than a PS4 accessory, although that's pretty cool too (and pretty much itself guarantees it sticking out to support a core feature of the console and the sony ecosystem) - it's got the hardware necessary to last a while and a variety of software and feature capabilities.

Sales charts aren't all-encompassing, but of course I'm just a crazy fan, your* time studying them is for great cause.

Official grip with r2/l2 triggers like the kickstarter one wouldn't hurt either Sony.

Metallix87

Who here has said you shouldn't buy a Vita? I must have missed that post...

PS4 is just taking off. Off course it needs the biggest and best studios right now.

Are you just being purposefully delusional? Sony didn't just put their biggest and best studios to work on PS4, they put ALL OF THEM to work on PS4. Heck, for all the criticism lobbied against Nintendo for the Wii U, at least Nintendo hasn't abandoned ship and focused entirely on 3DS. Sony needs to follow that example.

Valkyria

Banned

And here it is, outsourced games does not count.

I'm gonna make it easy for you all, forget about ports does not count, Sony does not care and say openly what you are thinking, ONLY NINTENDO GAMES COUNT. Easy peasy.

Metallix87

And here it is, outsourced games does not count.

I'm gonna make it easy for you all, forget about ports does not count, Sony does not care and say openly what you are thinking, ONLY NINTENDO GAMES COUNT. Easy peasy.

Wow, how amazing! Here, I will make it easy for YOU! Say openly what you are thinking:

"If you're critical of Sony, you're just a filthy Nintendo fanboy!"

Mind you, that's ignoring the fact that I've bought a ton of PS3, PSP, and PS Vita games.

Top Bottom