• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Books. 50 Movies. 1 Year (2014).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I'm getting bogged down in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. it's a good book but I just don't feel any drive to read it.

Having more fun with The Law of Superheroes, actually, even though it's all US law which I'm not as familiar with.

Don't Starve and Bravely Default are eating my reading/movie time. Sigh...

Necrovex

Master List

Little Shops of Horror-★★★

I really wanted to like this film. It had everything going for it, but at the end of the day, it was only a good film. Some parts of it were fantastic like Audrey II and the finale. However, I didn't care about Audrey, her voice grated on my ears. I don't know if the broadway show is like this, but her singing was eh. Good at seldom times.

Though, I quite enjoyed the musical scenes between Audrey II and Seymour. 'Git It' was a wonderful number. The overall plot didn't sit right with me though.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know a good movie site to use for tracking what movies you've seen or want to see (like backloggery)? IMDb has lists but I find the feature generally clunky and there's no way to add comments. Ideally it would be a site with an existing database that I can cross-reference data, not just something where I input titles (I can do that myself in a spreadsheet).

Watched the last two Sherlock episodes. Overall very good but I felt "His Last Vow", though crazy intense, was trying to do too much for one episode and the pacing was very strange with the jumping back and forth. But the character moments were great and the villain was impressively creepy.

Also watched two horror movies on Netflix: Darkroom and Would You Rather. Neither very remarkable or interesting, though the latter had some good performances and atmosphere, and I admired how it created unease and tension through restraint and actually not showing a lot of gore.

iiicon

iiicon | 3/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

I finished The Thing Around Your Neck, Adichie's collection of short stories, last night. Many of the same premises and settings found in Americanah are present here, so those ideas have obviously been floating around in her head for quite some time (some of these stories were published as far back as 2003). It's not to this book's detriment, however, as I still greatly enjoyed this. I found the most effective, affecting stories to be the couple told from a second-person perspective, and the story about an elderly Muslim woman and young Christian woman taking refuge together from the race riot tearing apart their Nigerian city.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know a good movie site to use for tracking what movies you've seen or want to see (like backloggery)? IMDb has lists but I find the feature generally clunky and there's no way to add comments. Ideally it would be a site with an existing database that I can cross-reference data, not just something where I input titles (I can do that myself in a spreadsheet).
I've used both Letterboxd and RateYourMusic in the past. Both are pretty decent.

Mumei

iiicon | 3/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

I finished The Thing Around Your Neck, Adichie's collection of short stories, last night. Many of the same premises and settings found in Americanah are present here, so those ideas have obviously been floating around in her head for quite some time (some of these stories were published as far back as 2003). It's not to this book's detriment, however, as I still greatly enjoyed this. I found the most effective, affecting stories to be the couple told from a second-person perspective, and the story about an elderly Muslim woman and young Christian woman taking refuge together from the race riot tearing apart their Nigerian city.

Speaking of the second-person perspective, have you read Italo Calvino's If on a Winter's Night a Traveler? I think you'd really like it.

LProtag

Well, I've just finished my first book this year (I'm running behind) The Name of the Rose. It was certainly an experience. I greatly enjoyed it and yet I feel like, perhaps if I were more educated or just smarter I would have gotten more out of the book. I can only see the top layer of this extremely intricate book. Maybe that's all you're supposed to get out of it though? I really don't know. It's hard to explain why this book was so great, especially because for certain long passages getting through it seemed like a chore.

I'm wondering if I should continue reading the Italians I have (Eco and Calvino), or perhaps continue in theme and pursue more metafiction (Paul Auster and John Barth).

dmag1223

I'm currently reading The Hobbit, but am really struggling to get through it. I was never much of a fantasy guy, but I hear so much good things about Tolkien's work, I decided to give it a shot. The novel is really good at building interesting, organic, worlds with neat locales, but everything else about the novel is incredibly dull IMHO. The main adventure isn't very deep or interesting, and neither are the main characters. I may be the only one who feels this way on Gaf though lol.

Finally caught the Shining. I vaguely remembered watching it on tv when I was like...6. Turns out that was the three part TV movie or something.

Jack Nicholson is something else. The wife was pretty terrible though.

I'm currently reading The Hobbit, but am really struggling to get through it. I was never much of a fantasy guy, but I hear so much good things about Tolkien's work, I decided to give it a shot. The novel is really good at building interesting, organic, worlds with neat locales, but everything else about the novel is incredibly dull IMHO. The main adventure isn't very deep or interesting, and neither are the main characters. I may be the only one who feels this way on Gaf though lol.
It is a children's book. I have fond memories of my annual readings of it in elementary school

Jintor

Updated my Journal

Big Trouble in Little China (1986) ★★★

Some legit amazing fight scenes and choreography in this hilariously schlocky 80s movie. I really appreciated how the ultra-macho American hero nonetheless basically didn't do a lot of actual fighting in the movie. The effects were appropriately terrible, but I was still pretty amused throughout. A lot of plot was kinda nonsense but hey, you know, whatever.

Women's fashion was pretty weird in the 80s huh. I thought the hottest the female lead looked was when she was in the chinese wedding dress and the hero took off the traditional headdress thing.

The chinese lead was cool.

/edit Oh, I guess this was a movie about the guy who thought he was the hero but was really the comic sidekick. That explains a lot. Nice job, Carpenter.

Mumei

Yeah, maybe I was expecting too much from it. I would like to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I'm afraid it will set me behind on my 50 book pace.

It doesn't have to! You don't even need to be a particularly fast reader, I don't think. You just need to be reasonably consistent. I find it helps to keep two books going at once, especially if one of them is particularly long. If I get bored or tired of reading one of them, I can switch to the other and I often find that I'll go through two or three shorter books while I read the longer book. For me, keeping a few going at once helps with consistency; I don't actually read them any faster, obviously, but I do actually read more.

Yeah, maybe I was expecting too much from it. I would like to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I'm afraid it will set me behind on my 50 book pace.

you can always count books with more than 500 pages as two, if you want to. That's what I'm doing this year. There are some longer books I want to read in the next couple of months and I plan to reread the Otherland series by Tad Williams, so there's a chance that I won't reach 50 books if I don't count the bigger ones as two ;)

Edit: and having a second book you can switch to if the first one is boring you a little bit, like Mumei suggested, really helps. That's what I'm doing all the time, when I read a longer book!

Books 2/50 Movies 8/50

Books

Stanley Kubrick: A Biography - John Baxter
Class: A Guide Through the American Status System - Peter Fussell

Movies

Wuthering Heights 2013
The Master
Le Passe 2013
There Will Be Blood
Blue Jasmine
Her
Charulata
The Wolf Of Wall Street

They aren't particularly long books. The first is 570 pages, and the other two are both in the 415-430 range. Maybe slightly longer than an "average" novel. I've never actually read the series (not super interested), so I can't vouch for how big of a struggle they are to read.

I know a lot of us are gearing up for the next Sanderson book that drops in March, and that's going to be in the 1,000+ range. As long as you're consistent in reading it all balances out and you should be able to hit the goal without counting 500+ page books as two entries. If you plan on reading the entire Wheel of Time series then you might be at a disadvantage.

My suggestion: read what you're interested in reading without stressing page count too heavily. If you find yourself well behind pace, give yourself the 500+ page handicap or start seeking out slightly shorter stories.

dmag1223

Thanks, guys! I'm not exactly a big-time reader just yet, so I probably get more intimidated by page counts more than I should.

iiicon

Speaking of the second-person perspective, have you read Italo Calvino's If on a Winter's Night a Traveler? I think you'd really like it.
I adore it and have gone through many copies because I give mine out to friends. I'm pretty sure we've talked about this book years ago. It's the only Calvino I've read, however. I've meant to read more of him but just never got around to it. I noticed a collection of his letters was reprinted last year, thought about grabbing that a few times.

Well, I've just finished my first book this year (I'm running behind) The Name of the Rose. It was certainly an experience. I greatly enjoyed it and yet I feel like, perhaps if I were more educated or just smarter I would have gotten more out of the book. I can only see the top layer of this extremely intricate book. Maybe that's all you're supposed to get out of it though? I really don't know. It's hard to explain why this book was so great, especially because for certain long passages getting through it seemed like a chore.
Umberto Eco is one of my favourite writers but yeah, this is dense. I actually haven't gone back to it since I first read it ~7 years ago for that very reason. Some of his later works, particularly The Prague Cemetary but especially The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, are more approachable. Queen Loana is a tapestry of his childhood loves like pulp fiction and American comic books so maybe that might not be as daunting?

I'm wondering if I should continue reading the Italians I have (Eco and Calvino), or perhaps continue in theme and pursue more metafiction (Paul Auster and John Barth).
Man I have Foucault's Pendulum sitting on my bookshelf for over a year but I haven't touched it because I think I may not be ready for it yet. Have you read that? Also have Name of the Rose but maybe I should start with this.

Mumei

I adore it and have gone through many copies because I give mine out to friends. I'm pretty sure we've talked about this book years ago. It's the only Calvino I've read, however. I've meant to read more of him but just never got around to it. I noticed a collection of his letters was reprinted last year, thought about grabbing that a few times.

Personally, I adored The Baron in the Trees and Cosmicomics, and especially Invisible Cities. Invisible Cities is simply magical.

On the other hand, Marcovaldo didn't do much for me, though I wouldn't dissuade you from trying it to see if you like it more. I don't think it was bad so much as "uninteresting to me."

Update!

Girl Most Likely - Kristen Wigg and Annette Benning shine in a film about the girl most likely to succeed who couldn't even succeed at a suicide attempt. Film was a bit rough, but Wigg and Benning were amazing. ★★★

Country Cottage - I don't know why Tyler Labine movies are a must rent for me, but I HAD to grab this one. Uptight guy and his uptight girlfriend go to the family lake house. Then Uptight guy's brother shows up. Reminded me a lot of Tucker and Dale without the satire. It's reviewing poorly because it isn't very good, but if you're a fan of shlocky horror and twist endings I would go for it. ★★★

EvaristeG

Banned
Made a few updates during the last days.

I added one book :

Le Démon du Bien (Les jeunes filles, III) (1937) - Henry de Montherlant

(yeah I'm not going to find translations for books I'm reading in french, too lazy for that)

And a few movies too :

Sherlock : The Sign of Three (2014) - Steven Moffat
Stalker (1979) - Andrei Tarkovsky
Dredd (2013) - Pete Travis
Sherlock : His Last Vow (2014) - Steven Moffat

In total I've read 2 books, and watched 8 movies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I find it helps to keep two books going at once, especially if one of them is particularly long. If I get bored or tired of reading one of them, I can switch to the other and I often find that I'll go through two or three shorter books while I read the longer book. For me, keeping a few going at once helps with consistency; I don't actually read them any faster, obviously, but I do actually read more.

This is actually a good idea. I've struggled though the last few books that I've read (I usually only read one book at a time) and I think reading two (or more) at once might help to keep things fresh for me.

This is actually a good idea. I've struggled though the last few books that I've read (I usually only read one book at a time) and I think reading two (or more) at once might help to keep things fresh for me.

I've been doing that this year for the first time and am loving it. I didn't think I would enjoy it as it would distract me, but that has not been the case.

I'm only reading a single book now, but will jump into two others once I finish this one up.

-----

Tragicomedy - 7/50 Books | 4/50 Movies

Finished reading Dreams of Steel by Glen Cook - ★★★★ - This is actually the sixth book of the Black Company series, although it was incorrectly packaged in the omnibus as #5. Lady takes front and center here and develops into easily the most interesting character of the series. Highly recommended.

Servbot24

Banned
I've adjusted my goals to be realistic. 50 books is impossible on my schedule.

0/25 books | 2/50 movies | 3/100 albums

Books:

[Currently Reading] Robert McKee - Storytelling

Films:

Play It Again, Sam (1972, Herbert Ross) ★★★
American Psycho (2000, Mary Harron) ★★★★

Albums (must be pre-2000):

Pink Floyd - Animals (1977) ★★★
Pink Floyd - Meddle (1971) ★★★★
Taku Sugimoto - Opposite (1997) ★★★★

"Storytelling" is great so far. It's 400 pages and extremely dense with information. If you're at all interested in writing stories then I highly recommend it.

Caught up on a couple Floyd albums I hadn't heard yet. Not a fan of the band, but Meddle was very good I thought.

Saya

Small update.

Saya - 3/50 books | 9/50 movies

Movies:

The Wolf of Wall Street - Martin Scorsese - ★★★★★
This was really phenomenal and also exhilarating as hell. Ridiculous, over-the-top, and easily the most hilarious film of 2013. I can't count the times I was laughing out loud. Leonardo Dicaprio gives an absolutely fantastic performance in this as Jordan Belfort. He delivers the horrible things he's doing with so much charisma and (physical) humor that you can't help laugh at it. Jonah Hill was also remarkably good and extremely funny. Loved his Benihana line. Sure, overall the is a bit uneven in parts, and towards the end it gets a bit repetitive, but it didn't bother me at all. I wanted it to not stop at all. It was so much FUN.

Her - Spike Jonze - ★★★★½
I thought this was quite impressive and I liked it a lot. Spike Jonze has created a film exploring human relationships through an OS angle. Joaquin Phoenix was freaking awesome. I loved the world-building in this, because the future in here seems so alien and at the same time weirdly inviting, and absolutely plausible to me. The fashion, and technology in the film works amazingly well too. I do have some reservations with the final choices and direction of the story though, but overall this worked for me. Great music too.

Master List | Two books | Six Movies

That second book, Black Site by Dalton Fury, took me a bit longer than I wanted(five days rather than three) but I still enjoyed it.

It was written by a guy that used to actually be a Special Forces operator for the United States Army and it certainly presented itself realistically. The main character wasn't very likeable until a few chapters in but I did not mind. The story was a bit...over the top? I guess? But it was still a fun ride. There were some questionable writing decisions and his grammar wasn't the greatest but I can't expect Stephen King from a guy who was a badass for a living and this was his first non-fiction book.

Gave it four stars. I'm looking forward to picking up the second book(already out) and the third(coming out this year sometime).

About to start Stephen King's The Stand. It clocks in at over 1400 pages so I am expecting it to take two weeks. Hopefully less.

EDIT: Also, I read three graphic novels. Batman: Hush, Flashpoint, and Hawkman vol 1. The latter two were pretty thin and were not really anything spectacular, but Hush was certainly pretty beefy and took a bit of time. I'm debating on whether or not I should count it.

Chaser

Updated my master list.

Finished my (still a little incomplete) tour of Linklater's films with Dazed and Confused, Slacker, and A Scanner Darkly.
I didn't love Dazed and Confused as much as I thought I would, and the amateur acting in Slacker was a little hard to deal with at times - I appreciated what it was going for otherwise. A Scanner Darkly was a pleasant surprise, I thought the animation did a great deal in creating a disorienting atmosphere.

On the book side, I finally got around to reading Brave New World (which I followed up with Huxley's short 'Revisited' work). I was familiar with the ideas behind the novel already, and the book really communicates them well in how it introduces us to its world and in some of the more important conversations. However, as a whole the story fell flat, especially in the middle sections, and the characters were largely disposable. Brave New World Revisited is a fantastic companion piece in that it's a more straightforward explanation of what worried Huxley about the modern world and what he thought it was heading towards.

you can always count books with more than 500 pages as two, if you want to. That's what I'm doing this year. There are some longer books I want to read in the next couple of months and I plan to reread the Otherland series by Tad Williams, so there's a chance that I won't reach 50 books if I don't count the bigger ones as two ;)

Edit: and having a second book you can switch to if the first one is boring you a little bit, like Mumei suggested, really helps. That's what I'm doing all the time, when I read a longer book!
500 pages seems like a small number to count as 2 books. I don't think that's the point of this challenge, but to each their own.
I would just recommend to mix in some more 200 - 300 page books in between, so you have a better chance of getting to a respectable books read count at the end of the year (even if it's not 50).

campfireweekend - 6/50 Books | 9/50 Movies

I just finished The Quiet American and its made me realize something. I am absolutely enamored with the 50's and 60's as an era, especially the Vietnam War and the attitudes express by America as a nation during that time. Pyle so perfectly encapsulated that plucky idealism and naiveté our nation expressed when propping up brutal dictators in the name of democracy.

That's kind of why I'm reading American Prometheus, and probably why I loved the Things they carried.

Anyone have any more novels from that period that you think I should read?

I also watched Summers Wars. I've kinda been on a Mamoru Hosoda kick recently, and I gotta say, he really is the next director to watch once Miyazaki really does retire. Aside from a few annoyances, Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Wolf Children are all excellent movies and definitely deserve a watch from Studio Ghibli fans.

500 pages seems like a small number to count as 2 books. I don't think that's the point of this challenge, but to each their own.
I would just recommend to mix in some more 200 - 300 page books in between, so you have a better chance of getting to a respectable books read count at the end of the year (even if it's not 50).
Last year I missed out on so many great books, because I tended to read smaller books to achieve the goal. And that's not what I want to do this year. What's the difference in counting a book with 700 pages as two or reading two books with 200 pages? People who enjoy reading longer books shouldn't have a disadvantage here and I think that's the reason why this possibility is included in the rules. I won't count a book with just little more than 500 pages twice, but when I read 700-1000+ pages, I don't think that's inappropriate :)

Updated Master List

Watched these this past week.

We're The Millers - ★★★½
It's pretty good, lots of crude humor, dumb plot.

Fast & Furious 6 - ★★★½
Boss fight was ridiculous.

Epic - ★★½
Really didn't enjoy this compared to other animated movies. Grotesque characters.

Despicable Me 2 - ★★★★
Not as good as the first one but still great.

Planes - ★★★
Dane Cook does a really good job voice acting.

Mumei

Update: 8/50 Books; 3/50 Movies

I finished reading The New Soft War on Women: How the Myth of Female Ascendance Is Hurting Women, Men - and Our Economy by Caryl Rivers and Rosalind C. Barnett yesterday. It was a very breezy overview of the issues that women face in the workplace and school due to differing expectations between men's behavior and women's behavior, ways in which men are rewarded for parenthood and women are punished, and ways that people react differently to the same behaviors when women do them versus when men do them. For instance, men benefit when they behave in caring ways, but receive no sanction when they fail to do so. Women gain no benefit by doing so, but if they fail to do so they are punished. They're all a series of small effects individually, but the authors make an important point with ~math~:

Imagine a world in which workplace discrimination doesn't exist. Then, take a hiring pool of 500 equally qualified female and male employees. They'd be hired at a fifty-fifty ratio. Next, imagine that both sexes do equally well and work equally hard. At the first promotion decision - and at every subsequent one - men and women would be equally represented.

Now, imagine a workplace in which gender discrimination has a very minor negative effect - 0.1 percent. What would this mean at the entry level? That 51.8 percent of men would be hired, compared to 48.2 percent of women.

This very small initial male advantage increases over time. "When later promotion decisions are made, the impact of gender stereotypes is compounded." In this scenario, the first group of women hired is less than 50 percent, and the group "will shrink again at each step of advancement as the 'small' impact of gender stereotypes has its effect."

By the fourth promotion decision, the percentage of women will shrink to 41.9 percent - while the percentage of men promoted will be 58.1 percent. So, an early gap of 3.6 percent favoring males balloons up to a stunning 16.2 percent advantage.

Tharenou makes her point very conservatively. As we've said, the real-world male advantage is closer to 5 percent than it is to 0.1 percent - an enormous difference.

And the rest of the book talks about the hurdles that women face, along with some suggestions for what individual women can do to ameliorate at least some of these issues, and what corporations and governments should be doing.

I thought that the authors were a bit too bullish on Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In, as well. They clearly sympathize with her exhortation that women need to 'go for it' in spite of the difficulties (and they do make a good argument for the case), but I feel they give her and her organization a free pass on its issues and the issues of co-option. I don't think it ruins the book, though.

Currently reading Pterosaurs by Mark P. Witton and Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Adichie.

Ashes

Banned
Ashes1396 - Books 6/50 | Films 11/50 | Seasons 2/12 |

Books

1. Cards on the table. [ A. Christie]
2. From Hell
3. Thirteen Problems.

Films

1. I Married A Witch.
2. African Queen.
3. American Hustle.
4. Wolf on Wall Street.
5. The Kid

Seasons

1. Sherlock Holmes Series 3.

---

* Ending Spoilers ahead for film 3 and 4*

So I watched a couple of the big oscar flicks. God dam, does hollywood not know happy endings? All these half way bitter medicine endings are half baked.

Anyways. I then watched one of the best films of all time. The Kid.

The_Kid_poster.jpg

I know a lot of people don't get it. And that's okay. But I get it. And I think it is sheer film magic bottled. Alas, I am running out of Charlie Chaplin films to watch for the first time. And that's a bittersweet ending I cannot help.

Edit:

Films

6. Tropic Thunder
7. Meet me in St Louis
8. Don Jon
9. Bicycle Thief
10. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
11. The Lunch Box

Seasons

2. The Legend of Korra

Books

5. X'ed Out
6. The Hive

Yobalt

Books 2/50 Movies 2/50

Books
The Adulterous Woman
Predictably Irrational

Movies
The Iceman
Rebel without a cause

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Books 3/50 | Movies 18/50

Figured I'd give this one a go.

Books
Animal Farm - Orwell
The Falll - Camus
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead - Stoppard

Movies
Wreck-it Ralph
Tangled
Iron Man 3
Sherlock Holmes 2
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
American Psycho
Kahaani
Twelve Years a Slave
Anchorman 2
Zodiac
Frances, Ha
Hobbit 2: Desolation of Smaug
Wolf of Wall Street
Se7en
Hunger Games 2
About Time
Synecdoche New York
Superhero Movie

Finally got home

Since my last update

killertofu 1/50 books 7/50 movies

Movies
The Lone Ranger ★★½​
Spring Breakers ★★★★​
The Shining ★★★½​
American Hustle ★★★​
The Spectacular Now ★★½​

Books
Screenplay ★★★★½​

I feel weird ranking 'Screenplay' because it's more of a "How-To" rather than a narrative. But the author writes well and it's not all technical. He has lots of examples from other movies (Although some of them I haven't seen). It's a good read if you want to learn how to write screenplays

2 Books in! This is big for me, it's already read more books than I read in the last 2 years. (Yes, I am ashamed). I moving slow on the movie front, but I'm not worried about hitting 50. I'll catch up.

theClimaxan | 2/50 Books | 1/50 Movies​

Books

ZOO - James Patterson - Rating: 2/5
What a silly book. The premise is essentially The Happening for animals, except instead of killing themselves they kill humans. I'm sure this will be adapted to a movie someday, hopefully the screenwriter understands how human beings actually interact because the action is pretty damn entertaining, thank god or I wouldn't have made it through.

Next up I've got Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.

It was a very breezy overview of the issues that women face in the workplace and school due to differing expectations between men's behavior and women's behavior, ways in which men are rewarded for parenthood and women are punished, and ways that people react differently to the same behaviors when women do them versus when men do them.

As my college political philosophy professor used to say, "If you want to make tenure, you can't make babies!" She was always frustrated about the double-standard there. If a man brings their kid to work or has photos of their family around their work desk, people perceive them as "good" and "involved" fathers. If a woman takes maternity leave or has to miss work to handle issues with her kid, she's considered "unfocused" or "distracted" from her workload.

It's a pile of crap, but I've personally witnessed it many a time in the workplace.

Bacon

Update to my list: finally finished a damn book. This might be harder for me than I originally anticipated. I'm in my first week at college for my senior year and I have so much reading for classes that it's making it tough for me to read casually. I'm still in for 50 though, I'll just have to try harder. Anyway I read Quiet: the power of introverts by Susan Cain, really enjoyed it. You can refer to my post here if you're interested in my thoughts.http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=95433208

cashman

Banned
Update:

Just got on the board the other day so I'm gonna give it another shot this year. I'm gonna count the super long books as two since they have a handicap for that and I'm a slooooow reader.

Cashman - 2/50 Books | 1/50 Movies

Books: Brothers Karamazov

Movies:
Akira ★★★★★

Currently reading: The Master and Margarita

theClimaxan | 2/50 Books | 1/50 Movies​

Books

ZOO - James Patterson - Rating: 2/5
What a silly book. The premise is essentially The Happening for animals, except instead of killing themselves they kill humans. I'm sure this will be adapted to a movie someday, hopefully the screenwriter understands how human beings actually interact because the action is pretty damn entertaining, thank god or I wouldn't have made it through..

I saw that at Target and almost bought it. I was still thinking about it until I saw so many negative reviews on Amazon.

Would you recommend it at all?

Empty

update:

Empty - 4/50 books | 5/50 movies

finished two books today. the first was maurice by e.m forster which i had mixed feelings about. it follows the coming of age of the titular character as his discovers his sexual identity as a gay man and tries to build a life on his own terms. written by forster in 1914 but not published until his death decades later, as he was a closeted homosexual himself and it was illegal in the uk till the late sixties, it's an interesting artifact of what it's like to be gay in britain at that time and i enjoyed it for that factor; how captures the profound sense of loneliness it can entail, as well as the beauty of doing something that seemed so new and exciting.

i had more reservations about the writing style however, which felt too aloof and detached and denied intimacy with the characters in times where you desperately wanted it, though i did warm to it by the end. i fairly recently read mishima's confessions of a mask, similar in its depiction of someone discovering they're gay in a society where such a thing doesn't exist in public, and where that felt so intensely frank because it takes you right into his mind, this felt unsatisfying in its distance by comparison. the story also rushes into a final act to get a happy ending that felt underbaked, especially as that section had a lot of potential to look at class issues but never gives it enough time to explore them.

also finished the dark night returns by frank miller. this was the first batman comic i've read, though i've seen the nolan films, so i don't have much knowledge to really appreciate its importance to the character in general. i found it okay. i liked that batman was depicted as very twisted, sort of addicted to the role, unable to live life without it and whose only answer to any problem is relentless violence. i also liked how it showed you a lot of different perspectives on batman across the city, comics are way more suited to those asides than the awkward attempts in the nolan films to show gotham as a character. the plot was solid, there were some thin elements like robin jumping in suddenly and i wasn't fond of the final part with superman and vaguely fascist celebration of batman but i liked the joker and harvey dent sections. my other main issue was the art which i never really gelled with.

finally i saw the secret life of walter mitty which i wasn't that fond of. a dramedy about ben stiller learning to live life to the fullest, it has a big heart but could do with a little more nuance instead painting with grand swipes and has a lot of dud jokes. highlight was adam scott's hilarious facial hair.

Books

Ready Player One (Ernest Cline) ★★★★

Thought this was really awesome. Gaf would love this book. It's a great sic-fi action adventure rooted deeply in 80's video games and movies. Pretty cool concept and overall a fun read. Cline writes really good action--you can easily see what you're reading.

Movies

Sharknado ★★

Pretty funny but nothing special. Speaking of nothing special, those special effects were something.

Tragicomedy - 7/50 Books | 5/50 Movies

I watched Lone Survivor with some military coworkers - ★★★★ - God bless the Navy Seals. I was familiar with the main elements of the story, although a few of the particulars caught me off-guard. The QRF lacking an escort due to unavailable Blackhawks being one example. I like the balanced bookends of both the Americans and Afghan villagers choosing to do the right thing, even though it endangered their lives and resulted in multiple casualties.

If you can deal with Marky Mark producing a film where he is the hero (again...the God complex this guy has), this is an excellent film.

Tremas

I've just finished reading House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. Probably the most inventive, disorienting, and layered novel I've read. I finished the book with both a sense of relief and a desire to immediately read all the companion material just to wrap my head around the thing.

Really, really enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom