• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

KHlover

Banned
Does anyone have a good config for Shadow of Rome? The first level plays fine, but after that the game just renders the character's head and some other objects, the rest of the screen is grey :/

linko9

I'm looking to get a laptop with a 3rd or 4th gen i7 at about 2.4ghz. What kind of performance should I be expecting at 720p?

I've got a Thinkpad W520 from a few years ago, has a 2.4ghz i7, dual core. Pretty much all PS2 games run fine at a decent resolution, though there are certainly exceptions. As for Dolphin, GC games all run fine (minus F-Zero GX) that I've tried, some Wii games can run at full speed, most can't. Oddly enough, upping or lowering the rendering resolution in Dolphin has zero effect on performance for me. If a game can run at full speed at native res, it can run at the same speed at 1080p. Odd stuff.

Anyway, I hear dual cores are better for PCSX2, though that may be long-outdated info. But you should be able to play most games fine.

kaioshade

Is it possible to use a dualshock 4 on pcsx2? I'm trying but can't figure it out.

I tested Dragon Quest VIII with it and it worked fine. I used Lilypad plugin, and turned xinput off and left directinput only. Worked perfectly.

Also, i was using the newest SVN version as well.

Is it possible to use a dualshock 4 on pcsx2? I'm trying but can't figure it out.

should just work if you have directinput checked

fXDlO6i.png

kaioshade

i wanna buy just the ps4 controller because i like the design. Anyone know if the xbone one works yet?

As far as i know, no proper drivers written for it yet. Someone was working on getting a set out, but Microsoft promised official drivers in 2014.

Garland7G

It recognizes a DX Wireless controller when I plug it in but it doesn't show up in the pad 1 tab and don't work in game, sigh.

edit: I think I got it we'll see. thx for the replies;)

works now thx!!

Parsnip

I haven't played Silent Hill 2 in yonks so I could be wrong, but is the aspect ratio on those shots right? On that third picture especially, long face and all that.

kuYuri

I reformatted my PC recently and reinstalled PCSX2, but for some odd reason the widescreen patch for FFXII won't apply, when it was working before the reformat. I have cheats enabled. Maybe I just forgot, but do I need to put the pnach file in a specific folder or anything? Can't figure out what I'm doing different.

I reformatted my PC recently and reinstalled PCSX2, but for some odd reason the widescreen patch for FFXII won't apply, when it was working before the reformat. I have cheats enabled. Maybe I just forgot, but do I need to put the pnach file in a specific folder or anything? Can't figure out what I'm doing different.

Yeah the pnach files should go to either the cheats or cheats_ws folder.

Having a weird issue with Persona 4. I tried out the widescreen cheat, added it to my pnach file with a few things already in there, and it worked okay, but I didn't like the characters animating off to the side so I got rid of it. Or rather I thought I did, because now it's stuck on widescreen. I deleted the line from the pnach file, and have tinkered with the GS Window settings, but no matter what I'm stuck with a 16:9 Persona. Any ideas?

Roulette

Should still be accurate .

From the compatibility list , ace games range from good to having some slight errors .

In my experience, you have to run Ace Combat games with the EE set to interpreter mode, otherwise the sky doesn't appear. Unfortunately interpreter mode makes the game so slow it's unplayable on my pc.

Unsung War might be ok now, from what I just read. Need to go back and check.

Vitor711

I tried playing that on my laptop that was an i7 at 3.4ghz and it ran like shit no matter what graphics settings i had.

Yeah, I can second that. I can run Wii games at their native res fine but a a jump to 720 causes too many frame drops to be fun. It's playable, but a compromised experience and that was with a similar i7.

Thorgal

Just out of curiosity, I am going to be setting this emulator up later today when I get a chance, I am running a 3970x hex core overclocked to 4.6GHz and a GTX 690 with 32GB ram and I am wondering are there any specific settings I need to be aware of in general which will make as much use of my specs as possible? Or should I just follow the guide in OP?

Just follow the guide .

your system should have no problems .

Randam

someone know how to fix this?

vkIF7kV.png

edit: switched to software rendering. now it works.
but i liked to increase the resolution and add some AA. :/

TaiKH92

Banned
While everyone here is dealing with all those pc settings to run a emulator, I still played my PS2 games on a tube SDTV until recently...

But then I noticed that they looked better on it than they look on a HDTV...

Randam

Did you try scaling the resolution ?

It is better then putting a set resolution yourself.

yes, i used native resolution by 4x i think.

it works fine with software rendering.

btw.: controlls work now. switch to lilypad.

edit: new problem: he skips the cutscene after the first mission of ace combat 4

Zafir

Does anyone know of a version of SPU2-X which doesn't have the annoying ringing sounds on footsteps in Square games?

I've tried 3628, 5733 and 5418 so far and neither of those are getting rid of it. Admittedly, the other two aren't quite as bad as 5733, still noticeable though.

Edit: Actually it might not even be the sound plugin, I even tried ZeroSPU2 and it does it on that too. How annoying.

Randam

is there an easy way to patch the Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System version to englisch?

a single patch?

Randam

yeah, that was what i found, when i searched for it.
but it was pretty old, so i thought there was an easier way now.

one where you dont need to isos.
just the izjs iso, which you would have to patch.

but i will give it a look.
thanks.

This is my first try with PS2 emulation and things aren't going as smoothly as I thought it would. When I try to turn MSAA on with DMC3 it slows down tremendously, I'm sure my PC must be able to run it, I can play Smash Bros Brawl with a ton of AA just fine. Is there something more complicated with PS2 emulation than I'm missing?

Thorgal

This is my first try with PS2 emulation and things aren't going as smoothly as I thought it would. When I try to turn MSAA on with DMC3 it slows down tremendously, I'm sure my PC must be able to run it, I can play Smash Bros Brawl with a ton of AA just fine. Is there something more complicated with PS2 emulation than I'm missing?

Msaa for most games is a performance killer .

Why not just increase the internal resolution ?

On most games 4 x resolution(or higher ) + edge AA takes care of most of the jaggies for me.

Parsnip

Last time I tried DMC3 on pcsx2 it run like dog shit on both hardware and software mode. Though this was a while ago, maybe things are different now?

Also, it could be just me, but I think your image is stretched. Does DMC3 have a widescreen patch?

Assets are lower quality in the emulated shot, obviously, but I still prefer the look of the original.

Anyway, this emu needs better deinterlacing and anisotropic filtering badly. Games could look so much better. Going ultra high resolution kind of fixes the problem, but that's too taxing for most systems out there.

Top Bottom