• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Sykotik

I was trying to play at 3x native, 2x AA, but it wasn't having any of it. I grabbed the latest orphis build and made sure not to carry over any settings. Seems to be fairly stable, now.

Widescreen hack is functioning correctly.

Only issue I have now are large square shadows flickering occasionally. And the super pixelated sub-title font.

Speaking of FF12, I've found the recommendations from the general PCSX2 thread. Is there a general starting point with the minute settings for it general to most systems as a starting point? Runs well on my rig (Q6600@stock and 5770) but I'd like to make sure.

rjc571

Banned
Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
Rendered at 8192x8192
Captured at 2560x1600
FPS AVG: 47

cwAGuVQ.jpg

Every time you play a game in the wrong aspect ratio, with the graphics stretched horizontally to fill the screen, god kills a kitten

teiresias

It's so frustrating not being able to get FF12 running well. Or damn near anything, for that matter.

OC'd 7970 with a gatdarn 2600k that can't keep a gatdarn OC worth a gatdarn crap.

I need to borrow this gif for a while...

You've got something else going on. I have an i7-870 that I've been able to run FFXII (and many other games on) ever since I've had the CPU and had a GTX460 in the machine (now have a GTX680).

rjc571

Banned
Oh come on, stretching 16:9 to 16:10 is nothing like 4:3 --> 16:9

I don't know how the widescreen is handled on the PS2 version of Size Matters, but the dimensions of Ratchet's character model in that shot are clearly supposed to be displayed in 4:3, not 16:9 (or 16:10).

Parfait

It's so frustrating not being able to get FF12 running well. Or damn near anything, for that matter.

OC'd 7970 with a gatdarn 2600k that can't keep a gatdarn OC worth a gatdarn crap.

I need to borrow this gif for a while...

You're doing something extremely wrong because I run FF12 at 60fps, at 2x scaling.

i5 2500k @ 3.6? it's not OC'd.
8gb ram
some intel inside thing

Back when i first tried to play it, back when i had a video card, it was unnaturally slow, but some speedhack i set fixed it immediately.
ff12.jpg

Dirtie

Speaking of FF12, I've found the recommendations from the general PCSX2 thread. Is there a general starting point with the minute settings for it general to most systems as a starting point? Runs well on my rig (Q6600@stock and 5770) but I'd like to make sure.
Defaults are perfectly fine as a starting point, apart from the obvious scaling and screen ratio settings.

However here's some additional info that might be useful:
- Definitely turn on MTVU if you have quad core or greater (like the Q6600).
- Use the FF12 widescreen patch because it improves on the ingame 16:9 support.
- I recommend using direct3d 11/10 (D3D9 has some subtle graphical glitches).
- Antialiasing might cause visible seams e.g. in characters' faces, I recommend leaving it off (should be no need for it if the scaling value is high enough anyway).
- Vsync can result in major speed decreases, I recommend leaving it off.

Should be no need to mess with anything else.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
What about ZOE ? I tried the first one and it lags like hell during the very first boss battle, on the same DX 11 4x settings on which FF 12 runs flawlessly.

Defaults are perfectly fine as a starting point, apart from the obvious scaling and screen ratio settings.

- Antialiasing might cause visible seams e.g. in characters' faces, I recommend leaving it off (should be no need for it if the scaling value is high enough anyway).

Thanks, that seems to have fixed all the slowdown I had in battles and during FMVs! Appreciate it!

Kenka

Sorry GAF to post the question here but I couldn't find a satisfying answer on Google.
Would you know how to enable the display on several monitors ? I would love to play FF XII using two or three monitors, I assume the VRAM in my 560Ti will be enough. I would be thankful if any answer pops up down the road.

Ifrit

Have anyone manage to emulate SMT: Nocturne on PCSX2? I think I read it had some shadow problems or something like that

I'm thinking of continuing the game on an emulator because of resolution and maybe widescreen support

CorvoSol

Hey, so I want to run Super Robot Wars Z through this on my Dell laptop. The game runs at points, doing a decent 60 fps, but it frequently dips down to the 20fps area. Aside from the brand, all I know off the top of my head is that the thing is an intel core i3 and I got it new this year. If someone could point me in the direction I need to look up the rest of the stats necessary to solve my problem, I'd be happy to do so. Thanks for the help in advance!

fertygo

Hey, so I want to run Super Robot Wars Z through this on my Dell laptop. The game runs at points, doing a decent 60 fps, but it frequently dips down to the 20fps area. Aside from the brand, all I know off the top of my head is that the thing is an intel core i3 and I got it new this year. If someone could point me in the direction I need to look up the rest of the stats necessary to solve my problem, I'd be happy to do so. Thanks for the help in advance!

I don't think Z is that much of problem to emulate unlike OG series

maybe you can tweak your speedhack and disable some stuff in gsdx setting, try this.
hzfdphP.png

dWIdlE7.png

Your procie similar to mine (my VGA also not too fancy) so maybe what work for me can help you too.

CorvoSol

So I just ran the adjustments you suggested, but I've had no change at all here. It still dips down to 20fps and back up to 60 with regularity.

Thorgal

Have anyone manage to emulate SMT: Nocturne on PCSX2? I think I read it had some shadow problems or something like that

I'm thinking of continuing the game on an emulator because of resolution and maybe widescreen support

According to the compatibility list it should run great .

also i thought the shadow problem was only in SMT: Digital devil saga. (not sure)

fertygo

So I just ran the adjustments you suggested, but I've had no change at all here. It still dips down to 20fps and back up to 60 with regularity.

Up the EE cyclerate and VU stealing to one point to see if there's any change (or you can experiment for how much till its broke the game and stop at favorable slider)

CorvoSol

Up the EE cyclerate and VU stealing to one point to see if there's any change (or you can experiment for how much till its broke the game and stop at favorable slider)

None of those seem to have any effect at all, aside from maybe lowering the FPS. The problem I'm having isn't so much in raising the FPS as it is in stablizing it. It ranges from approx 62 to approx 20 fps continuously. As in it goes up and down and up and down and back again.

My system specs are:

Windows 8
Intel Core i3-2350M
CPU @2.3Ghz

fertygo

None of those seem to have any effect at all, aside from maybe lowering the FPS. The problem I'm having isn't so much in raising the FPS as it is in stablizing it. It ranges from approx 62 to approx 20 fps continuously. As in it goes up and down and up and down and back again.

My system specs are:

Windows 8
Intel Core i3-2350M
CPU @2.3Ghz

I'm not sure what else to help you then, maybe its your spec that hold you up.. this emulator relying heavily to core clock, I didn't realize i3 have that low of raw core clock so performance for this emulator not gonna too good.

My last suggestion:
Use the pcsx build from here http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/ instead the one that you got from the site, usually its perform a lot better.

CorvoSol

That didn't just not solve my problem, now I can't save! Saving stalls indefinitely at 91%.

Back to older version so I can save, but still got my framerate issue. Everywhere seems to say that its because my CPU speed is too slow?

Atruvius

Are games supposed to look really blurry if I play them in 1440*1080 or 1920*1080? Burnout 3 looks pretty much like I was playing it on my PS2 and using HD tv with composite cable. 3000*4000 resolution eradicates the blurriness.

Thorgal

Are games supposed to look really blurry if I play them in 1440*1080 or 1920*1080? Burnout 3 looks pretty much like I was playing it on my PS2 and using HD tv with composite cable. 3000*4000 resolution eradicates the blurriness.
Try to increase internal resolution.

It works better with most games then just setting a resolution.

Thorgal

Yes, I meant internal resolution. It's changed by going into video plugin settings, right?

yes .

From the OT

It's generally better for IQ to use scaling by a multiplier rather than setting a fixed D3D internal res, since the latter may result in more graphical glitches like the ghosting pictured above. While the native resolution varies from game to game (very few games actually run at 640x480, the ideal PS2 res), 4x upscaling is almost always higher than 1080p. For example, FF12's native resolution is 512x448, and upscaled 4 times it becomes 2048x1792.

Ifrit

According to the compatibility list it should run great .

also i thought the shadow problem was only in SMT: Digital devil saga. (not sure)

Acording to the wiki, the shadow problem is still on Nocturne. But maybe there's some patch or some configuration to fix it, that doesn't involve breaking other parts of the game. Does anyone know?

kuYuri

I need help. Finally got PCSX2 running, I have saves on my USB from my PS3 via Memory Card adapter.

Trying to use MyMC to get my saves transferred over, but when I try to open the mcd001.ps2 file in memcards folder within PCSX2 folder, I get this error.

qSDpSCg.png

I'm probably doing something wrong or maybe trying to open the wrong thing. Help?

kuYuri

Just MyMC. I didn't export them, as I was not aware that was a necessary step. So I have to export them using this tool first or something? I'm getting confused.

The pcsx2 memory card files themselves are .ps2 files.

Have you tried creating new, blank ones and using mymc to open those?

I just did that and I get the same error when trying to open the new, blank one.

EDIT: Apparently, the memory cards were unformatted, thus MyMC gave me that error. So I guess now that MyMC is reading the PCSX2 memory card, I use the PSV Exporter program to export them in a format MyMC can read?

EDIT 2: Ok, I got it all working now. Thanks a ton for the youtube video hateradio. I managed to convert my save so that PCSX2 can read it.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member

I'm getting weird shadow glitches in FF12. In the Nalbina Dungeons for example, the shadows start flashing in some of the cutscenes. Is there any way to fix this?

Harabec

Neo Member
I'm getting weird shadow glitches in FF12. In the Nalbina Dungeons for example, the shadows start flashing in some of the cutscenes. Is there any way to fix this?

I'm getting that too. Playing the International Zodiac Edition, but I don't think they touched the graphics.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
how do i brighten up the games? all the games ive tried so far look grainy and like theyve been shot with a screen filter

Gvaz

Banned
i checked in the widescreen box in the emulator
is there a widescreen patch ?
and some plug-in that make clean picture ?

Yea, google widescreen pnach and download one for whichever game into cheats_ws in your pcsx2 folder (just the inis, no folders inside cheats_ws)

anyways im guessing his internal resolution is also higher than yours.

L.O.R.D

Yea, google widescreen pnach and download one for whichever game into cheats_ws in your pcsx2 folder (just the inis, no folders inside cheats_ws)

anyways im guessing his internal resolution is also higher than yours.

aha, thanks , i found it
but the HUD is still pixelated

paolo11

Late on the thread. Noob here.How well can I run these games on my set up?

A) Dragon Quest 8
B) Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
C) Final Fantasy 12 International Zodiac Edition
D) Onimusha Dawn of Dreams

Specs:

Alienware M18x
3720 QM I7
7970M crossfire AMD
8GB ram

Late on the thread. Noob here.How well can I run these games on my set up?

A) Dragon Quest 8
B) Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
C) Final Fantasy 12 International Zodiac Edition
D) Onimusha Dawn of Dreams

Specs:

Alienware M18x
3720 QM I7
7970M crossfire AMD
8GB ram

My understanding is one of the leaders of the project is a huge JRPG buff, so, for instance, all of the Final Fantasies will run extremely well even for people with only moderate gaming rigs

I get full speed in Final Fantasy 10 and you exceed my specs by leaps and bounds:

Intel Core 2 Duo (3.01ghz)
ATi Radeon HD 5670
2GB RAM

You should be good to go, I'd assume.

Stein3x

Is there any way to play Onimusha 2 without the annoying clipping on Hardware and not on Software mode? (lot's of jaggies on software)

Top Bottom