• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Shambles

Started ripping my PS2 collection. I have to say it's a bit humourous playing a PS2 game on my PC with a PS3 remote. I didn't spend a lot of time problem solving but I just loaded up FFX to give it a try and it crashed before even making it to a save point. Not sure how viable this program actually will be or if the headaches will just send me back to using my PS3.

Does anyone know why this emulator needs game specific patches for widescreen hacks, instead of just one global setting in the graphics plugin like other emulators? Just wondering.

coopolon

Started ripping my PS2 collection. I have to say it's a bit humourous playing a PS2 game on my PC with a PS3 remote. I didn't spend a lot of time problem solving but I just loaded up FFX to give it a try and it crashed before even making it to a save point. Not sure how viable this program actually will be or if the headaches will just send me back to using my PS3.

Just go to the wiki page for each game and use the settings described there. FFX is a very stable game, I just had some problems with the movies.

But running it true widescreen at 3x the resolution more than made up for it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Does anyone know why this emulator needs game specific patches for widescreen hacks, instead of just one global setting in the graphics plugin like other emulators? Just wondering.

You can find a sizable complete pack of all the widescreen patches with some looking. Over at the pcsx2 forums i think. It essentially replicates global widescreen use if you paste all the patches into the cheats folder. No more than a meg but there are like 660 patches.

sqwarlock

Just thought id mention that i found in the 'manual game fixes' section of newer version of the emu a special fix to switch to software mode when FMVs play. This fixes issues for games liek Rule of Rose, where now you can use hardware mode and not run into any issues viewing cutscenes and such. Fix didnt exist in version 1.0.

FF X-2 should also run flawlessly with this fix. Now, if I update to the newest version, do I have to re-setup the program or will all my settings carry over?

Ledsen

Dolphin and project64 (If I remember correctly)

Well Dolphin has it because almost all (all?) Wii games have native widescreen. Project 64 only has stretched widescreen from what I can see. And I don't see how any emulator could create a correct 16:9 image from a 4:3 image without game-specific hacks to show more of the game on the sides. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Saterium

Well Dolphin has it because almost all (all?) Wii games have native widescreen. Project 64 only has stretched widescreen from what I can see. And I don't see how any emulator could create a correct 16:9 image from a 4:3 image without game-specific hacks to show more of the game on the sides. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Project64, Dolphin and nullDC can force a 4:3 game to render in 16:9 however results are often half baked. For example in most Dreamcast games you'll have geometry within the extended view but characters will disappear outside of the 4:3 box.

Pcsx2 hacks are the better way to do it since each game is 'hand hacked', whereas the all in one settings can result in some weird stuff.

*EDIT* Worth noting you meed a special plugin for WS on Project64. I forget which - maybe Glide?

Lime

Played some more with Valkyrie Profile 2 thanks to the recent news of the lead programmer leaving tri-ace

pcsx22013-05-1317-46-y1zmd.png

pcsx22013-05-1317-15-ika1z.png

pcsx22013-05-1317-14-ecacv.png

pcsx22013-05-1317-44-clzit.png

pcsx22013-05-1317-47-37yb1.png

pcsx22013-05-1317-51-3clec.png

Gvaz

Banned
So for everyone else:

Does the Elsa EVS save point in Xenosaga 1 bug out for anyone else? Some of the save points are completely useless (first one works, second and third doesn't, but fourth works) in that instead of saving, it brings up the PS2 browser.

They said it was such an awful bug, they'd have to totally change how the emulator functions to get around it.

Hi guys, I just finished setting up my emulator for the first time.
I am just blown away and excited for all the fun ahead.
I just had some questions running Persona 3 FES and Persona 4.

Here are my specs:
i5 3570k
AMD Radeon HD 7950
8GB ram

By what multiplier should I run the resolution? I tried 6x with P3:FES and it seemed to be steady at around 60fps.
It seems to be fine but I just wanted to make sure if it is necessary to run it at such a high resolution.
I noticed some broken color edges near the bottom of the screen, that won't go away, is this normal?

I read about widescreen hacks and custom shaders, where I can find such things for games?

Thank you.

Retne

So for everyone else:

Does the Elsa EVS save point in Xenosaga 1 bug out for anyone else? Some of the save points are completely useless (first one works, second and third doesn't, but fourth works) in that instead of saving, it brings up the PS2 browser.

They said it was such an awful bug, they'd have to totally change how the emulator functions to get around it.

I've just been using save states before I use a save point. I saw that they've known about the bug for a long time too. When I first searched for a fix I found a thread from 2008 where they were talking about it and saying they might have been able to fix it. I guessed it must have been pretty rough if they just stopped worrying about it.

The save states have been working fine for me though. Haven't lost any progress beyond the first couple times I ran up to a save point and it crashed.

Hi guys, I just finished setting up my emulator for the first time.
I am just blown away and excited for all the fun ahead.
I just had some questions running Persona 3 FES and Persona 4.

Here are my specs:
i5 3570k
AMD Radeon HD 7950
8GB ram

By what multiplier should I run the resolution? I tried 6x with P3:FES and it seemed to be steady at around 60fps.
It seems to be fine but I just wanted to make sure if it is necessary to run it at such a high resolution.
I noticed some broken color edges near the bottom of the screen, that won't go away, is this normal?

I read about widescreen hacks and custom shaders, where I can find such things for games?

Thank you.

Go with whatever doesn't slow you down, that said 6x is way way overkill (6x is actually 36 times the PS2 resolution, higher than 4k televisions) It may run fine for most scenes, but there will be certain effects that will bring even the fastest cards to their knees at that. 4x will put you in the 2560x1920 resolution for most games, so if you run any resolution lower than that for your screen you'll get an AA effect from it. Safer than trying to use MSAA which can glitch some games pretty bad.

As for widescreen hacks, the best place is simply the PCSX2 forum, specifically this thread http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-Widescreen-Game-Patches

Just download the massive pack list and follow the instructions.

Go with whatever doesn't slow you down, that said 6x is way way overkill (6x is actually 36 times the PS2 resolution, higher than 4k televisions) It may run fine for most scenes, but there will be certain effects that will bring even the fastest cards to their knees at that. 4x will put you in the 2560x1920 resolution for most games, so if you run any resolution lower than that for your screen you'll get an AA effect from it. Safer than trying to use MSAA which can glitch some games pretty bad.

As for widescreen hacks, the best place is simply the PCSX2 forum, specifically this thread http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-Widescreen-Game-Patches

Thanks a lot! Yeah, I noticed after about an hour, there were some big slow-downs and some glitching in the screen, haha.
Strangely, even in 4x I was getting some minor lags and frame spikes (upto 100+fps? then down again).
Alright, got it, I will try these today.

ss_lemonade

Are these hacks safe from bugs from forcing widescreen in non widescreen games? I remember trying to force 16:9 on other emus like dolphin or something like nulldc and getting objects disappearing from the sides

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Go with whatever doesn't slow you down, that said 6x is way way overkill (6x is actually 36 times the PS2 resolution, higher than 4k televisions)

That's a bit misleading. It's 6x as wide and 6x as tall which results in 36 times as many pixels yes. But, it's not overkill because rendering at higher resolutions causes downsampling which naturally clears up aliasing you'd see (or as others call it, jaggies.)

Gvaz

Banned
Are these hacks safe from bugs from forcing widescreen in non widescreen games? I remember trying to force 16:9 on other emus like dolphin or something like nulldc and getting objects disappearing from the sides

That's normal, since the developers never intended you to see anything past the 4:3 resolutions, they'd employ tricks to keep the frame rate high

Depends, it's on a per game basis.

This. Many games will play perfectly, and many more will glitch in certain ways (For example, persona 4 has certain scenes that will have characters waiting just out of view in default poses and such).

It's definitely a trade off, sometimes better sometimes worse.

I actually have a setup question. I thought I read somewhere that having a 64bit OS offered a significant performance boost? Is this true? I mostly want to be able to play my imported SNK collection of 2D fighters which being 2D doesn't need (or really benefit) the fancy upscaling. But I'd love to be able to play and finally complete DQVIII in HD though.

My HTPC already has W7 (32 Bit) and 2 Gigs of ram. I need a graphics card, but I'm wondering between more ram and upgrading the OS which one would be more beneficial.

Gvaz

Banned
Having a 64 bit os has a boost in terms of memory management, and is needed if you're going to run more than 4GB of total ram (really RAM+CPU memory+GPU memory).

In terms of emulation, you're better off getting a "normal" computer for DQ8. You'll need a decent cpu (I recommend a fast intel processor like Sandy or Ivy), you could do with 2gb of ram, sure, though I would recommend at least 4 for any new pc because windows tends to want a gig just to itself, and I've seen PCSX2 use up close to a gig once in a while, and disk thrashing is really harsh. Then, I'd suggest something at least better than an 8800gt or HD4890 for graphics. At that point, you should really have a 64 bit OS because you have the issue of not being able to utilize all that memory properly.

Your HTPC is fine for being an HTPC. I wouldn't bother with it unless you just want to play 2D fighters on that (which actually depending on the resolution or type of graphics they employ, could looked great at higher res.)

trmas

Banned
Okay, so installing Windows 7 through Bootcamp on my Mac went great.

Final Fantasy XII hovers over the 57-64 fps mark, but has occasional drops to about 47-ish fps that are really irritating.

I've enabled all of the hacks and whatnot that the web suggests specifically for FFXII.

Again, my MacBook Pro is the 2012 13" model. 2.9Ghz Intel Core i7. 8GB DDR3 RAM.

Should I be using Scale (i.e. Scale 2x, Scale 3x, etc.), or should I set the custom resolution to my Mac screen (1280x800). I tried both and don't really notice much difference.

I just want the framerate to be consistent. I know my Mac could be capable of it because I disabled framelimiting temporarily and it shot up to nearly 200fps, too fast to be playable.

I am running FFXII Zodiac on my 2013 MacBook Pro with the Retina screen and 16GB... runs flawless except for some cutscenes that drop into the 40's, typically the ones with blur. I am running in a VM as opposed to the Bootcamp setup, so your performance should be better than mine. I do not use any of the fast hacks other than the recommended ones, and I am running at 3X. It does run better in windowed mode as opposed to full screen, but then again, the retina screen is REALLY high resolution, and takes some good resources to emulate in VM.

Having a 64 bit os has a boost in terms of memory management, and is needed if you're going to run more than 4GB of total ram (really RAM+CPU memory+GPU memory).

In terms of emulation, you're better off getting a "normal" computer for DQ8. You'll need a decent cpu (I recommend a fast intel processor like Sandy or Ivy), you could do with 2gb of ram, sure, though I would recommend at least 4 for any new pc because windows tends to want a gig just to itself, and I've seen PCSX2 use up close to a gig once in a while, and disk thrashing is really harsh. Then, I'd suggest something at least better than an 8800gt or HD4890 for graphics. At that point, you should really have a 64 bit OS because you have the issue of not being able to utilize all that memory properly.

Your HTPC is fine for being an HTPC. I wouldn't bother with it unless you just want to play 2D fighters on that (which actually depending on the resolution or type of graphics they employ, could looked great at higher res.)

I've actually got an i3 (pretty sure it's 2.6 Ghz not OCed, not 100% sure at the moment) in there right now, I know a lot of people use i5 or i7, but I'd like to think I can squeak by with overclocking it and just adding a graphics card to get some good performance unless those i5s are REALLY worth the upgrade.

Argonis

I'm playing Valkyrie Profile 2 but getting slowdown during cut-scenes and those scan lines. I tried changing alphahacks=1 in the gsdx.ini but to no avail.

Also, setting alphahacks=1 slows down the game to a cool .001 fps...

Help would be appreciated! Thanks.

My specs:
Radeon HD 5900
i7 3770k
8 gigs of ram
SSD

Gvaz

Banned
Since the epsxe thread seems to be dead, is there a way to play games in widescreen for psx like there is for pcsx2?

Vashetti

Banned
Update on running PCSX2 on my Mac through Bootcamp on Windows 7:

Yay, finally 60fps!

Downloaded the latest revision and I don't know what changed behind the scenes but FF12 runs buttery smooth now :D

thundr51

I think I may be doing this wrong. I've set the scaling to 4x and MSAA to 16x but my 3d games (VF4Evo, Rumble Roses,DOA2) are still very blurry. Is there some setting that I'm missing to replicate the screen shots I've been seeing on here?

Dwayne

I think I may be doing this wrong. I've set the scaling to 4x and MSAA to 16x but my 3d games (VF4Evo, Rumble Roses,DOA2) are still very blurry. Is there some setting that I'm missing to replicate the screen shots I've been seeing on here?

Have you adjusted the internal resolution

Miker

Post a screenshot of your graphics plugin options (the screen where you set scaling, etc.)

zbarron

My hard drive broke with all of my save files on it. Does anyone here have a Dragon Quest VIII save file to upload? I just beat the jazz mole and got the harp but anything within 5-10 hours would work for me. Thanks.

Hi there, first time posting and I have a pretty noobish question to ask. I just downloaded the newest release and followed the video instructions to a tee, but for some reason I experience slight framerate drops. This normally wouldn't bug me but when it happens the audio slows down then speeds up giving dialogue a pretty disjointed sound. Is this just normal or is there a fix?

Top Bottom