• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

TrantaLocked

Neo Member
Hi there, first time posting and I have a pretty noobish question to ask. I just downloaded the newest release and followed the video instructions to a tee, but for some reason I experience slight framerate drops. This normally wouldn't bug me but when it happens the audio slows down then speeds up giving dialogue a pretty disjointed sound. Is this just normal or is there a fix?

Mess with the video plugin settings, switching between DX 9 and 11 hardware/software modes. If you have a DX 10/11 GPU, definitely pick DX 10/11 Hardware mode. That mode works best for me. I can run at 3x native resolution, but if you are having slowdown issues, start at native and work your way up.

ss_lemonade

A bit OT but I guess it still sort of applies since I've been using motioninjoy to get my DS3 working with pcsx2. Anyway, what's a good alternative to motioninjoy for plugging in my DS3 and using it for both xinput and bluetooth functionality? I bought a cheap bluetooth adapter just now and I have a feeling motioninjoy may be interferring with it, preventing it from functioning like a normal adapter (its actually for Dolphin wiimote usage but I'm still waiting for my ordered wiimote to ship).

I also can't get the DS3 to work via bluetooth (it gets recognized, but buttons don't work) so yeah, looking for another similar program.

coopolon

A bit OT but I guess it still sort of applies since I've been using motioninjoy to get my DS3 working with pcsx2. Anyway, what's a good alternative to motioninjoy for plugging in my DS3 and using it for both xinput and bluetooth functionality? I bought a cheap bluetooth adapter just now and I have a feeling motioninjoy may be interferring with it, preventing it from functioning like a normal adapter (its actually for Dolphin wiimote usage but I'm still waiting for my ordered wiimote to ship).

I also can't get the DS3 to work via bluetooth (it gets recognized, but buttons don't work) so yeah, looking for another similar program.

Here is a thread dedicated to the topic.

But the conclusion is use this

It is important to know though that with both mij and the xinput wrapper, you can't use the same bt adapter for your ds3 and your wiimote. Both require an adapter dedicated to the purpose of working with the DS3 and won't be able to do anything else.

Anyone have tips for getting Sakura Wars to run perfectly? I just tried it, and the opening cutscene has weird artifacting on the subtitles (http://i.imgur.com/Rc1MeCH.jpg, you might need to view the full res to be able to tell) which I think is probably related to some parts of the image not lining up (http://i.imgur.com/0nEhvnk.jpg if you look at the balcony, you can see a weird vertical rectangle of the image that's offset from the rest).

Anyone seen this stuff happen in other games? Know how to fix it? I tried using dx9 and dx11 software mode and the same thing happened, so is it even fixable?

Though I did test it via loading a save state, would redraw the image using the new graphic settings or does it not refresh until a next scene? ie did I test it wrong?

Aroo

Neo Member
Everytime I look at this thread I also wanted to get PCSX2 running and finally finish FFXII. Then I realize I need a BIOs ( and a ps2 to dump it from.)

Bah..

Ourobolus

Banned
This might not be the best topic to ask this in, but I might as well.

I'm trying to consolidate items in my entertainment center, and I was thinking about building a PC to emulate PS2 and Wii/GCN so that I can put those consoles away or sell them. I remember reading something like PCSX2 is GPU-heavy while Dolphin is CPU-heavy...

What would be a decent build for this? Obviously I'd like to save on cost, but I also would like to play the games at the best settings, so there's a bit of a balance I want to strike.

kick51

Banned
Everytime I look at this thread I also wanted to get PCSX2 running and finally finish FFXII. Then I realize I need a BIOs ( and a ps2 to dump it from.)

Bah..

I wouldn't play XII on it, since XII HD is surely on the tail of X/X-2 HD. and probably with the international content.

Dmax3901

Can never get SotC to run at anything near 60fps, despite having a reasonably specced computer.

Anyone care to share some tips?

Grief.exe

How does Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 run on PCSX2?

I've got both games sitting here, and it would be nice to play through them again.

ss_lemonade

Can never get SotC to run at anything near 60fps, despite having a reasonably specced computer.

Anyone care to share some tips?
Are you talking about the actual ingame framerate? That game never had a stable framerate on the ps2 to begin with. In fact, I think the game stays well below 30fps majority of the time during colossus fights. So maybe you're experiencing the game as is on pcsx2? If you want a smooth framerate, I think the ps3 ico/sotc hd collection will be your best bet.

Tomodachi

How does Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 run on PCSX2?

I've got both games sitting here, and it would be nice to play through them again.

I only tried the virtuous mission from MGS3 and it was kinda choppy, although my pc can run FFXII perfectly. I have a rather old CPU though, so you might have more luck. No idea about MGS2 but since they're very popular titles I think the support from the devs would be optimal.

Thorgal

I am interested in trying this but i am confused by something.

Do you require to have a BIOS installed to run a PS2 game or is it just put your Ps2 disk in and away you Go ?

I don't want to do anything illegal.

Thorgal

Actually I have a question Altough it is slightly ot.

Do you think it is possible that in the future we will be able to Emulate PS3 games?

Actually I have a question Altough it is slightly ot.

Do you think it is possible that in the future we will be able to Emulate PS3 games?

For what I understand not in a looooooooooooooooooooooong time.

I wonder if the question is will we have good PS4 emulation before PS3 lol.

Gvaz

Banned
It's not really illegal to download a bios if you're holding your ps2 you bought in your own hands. It's a bit of a grey area in that you shouldn't do it, but I very much doubt anyone is going to get in trouble for it based on the fact literally no one has.

That being said, making a copy of your bios is easy only if you already have the tools for it. you load a specific program press certain buttons, and copy it to a memory stick (by the way, it has to be a very old memory stick or the ps2 wont seem to even read it. I lucked out years ago that my ex gf still had a 1GB thumb drive that works).

There are a few ways to get it:

Pay someone to make you a freemcboot memory card (easiest)
make it yourself (doable but too much effort imo)
use a swapdisk and finangle trying to load an elf file that way so you can simply back up the bios (i'd rather kill myself)

TriAceJP

You can make your own FreeMcBoot with a legit copy of Agent Under Fire and a DVD burner.

Google it if you are interested.

kaioshade

This widescreen hack is driving me insane. I placed the cheat in the proper folder. when i load my image, it says cheats loaded, but 0 widescreen hacks loaded. is there anything else i need to do to get this working?

I have 16:9 widescreen set in the options but everything still renders @ 4:3. every single guide says do 16:9 and enable cheats, but no more info than that.

Anyone have an idea what i am doing wrong?

Dirtie

This widescreen hack is driving me insane. I placed the cheat in the proper folder. when i load my image, it says cheats loaded, but 0 widescreen hacks loaded. is there anything else i need to do to get this working?

I have 16:9 widescreen set in the options but everything still renders @ 4:3. every single guide says do 16:9 and enable cheats, but no more info than that.

Anyone have an idea what i am doing wrong?
Just a couple of things to make sure of:

-The file should go in the "cheats_ws" folder if using a more recent build (which it sounds like you are), but if you're using the 1.0.0 stable release then it simply goes in "cheats". You could try just putting it in the cheats folder anyway (unless that's what you did already). There should (probably) be a comment in the log telling you if it loads.
e.g. on 1.0.0:
Code:
Cheats found!
comment: Final Fantasy XII International: Zodiac Job System (SLPM-66750)
comment: Widescreen hack by nemesis2000 (pnach by nemesis2000)
Cheats Loaded: 3

-Make sure it's the correct patch for the region (and possibly the version) of the game you have. The gamecode should match up between the patch and the disc/iso (note: not the same as the patch filename).

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It's not really illegal to download a bios if you're holding your ps2 you bought in your own hands. It's a bit of a grey area in that you shouldn't do it, but I very much doubt anyone is going to get in trouble for it based on the fact literally no one has.

That being said, making a copy of your bios is easy only if you already have the tools for it. you load a specific program press certain buttons, and copy it to a memory stick (by the way, it has to be a very old memory stick or the ps2 wont seem to even read it. I lucked out years ago that my ex gf still had a 1GB thumb drive that works).

There are a few ways to get it:

Pay someone to make you a freemcboot memory card (easiest)
make it yourself (doable but too much effort imo)
use a swapdisk and finangle trying to load an elf file that way so you can simply back up the bios (i'd rather kill myself)
My 500 GB external and a few other thumb drives work on my PS2.

I used the PS3's USB memory card reader (which I bought a long time ago) to put freemcboot on my memory card with my PC.

The application that I used was at one time on GitHub, but has since been removed because of Sony.

It only worked once though. I tried to do it on on other memory cards, but it didn't work.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I have a question, I am purchasing this computer:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card
Power Supply: XFX 550W

Is this PC enough to run most PS2 emulation? Would getting SSD helps?

Thorgal

So i decided to bite and tried P4 first .

Took a screenshot to celebrate.

gsdx_20130629103251dvsld.png

Dascu

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Power Supply: XFX 550W

You're more than fine. And I don't think an SSD would improve anything.

Get that 3570k running at 4.5Ghz (or thereabouts)and you'll be able to run pretty much everything as fast as it's possible to run the emulator.

The new Haswell chips do have improved SSE,AVX code on them, so that supposedly adds a few % to the speed, but not enough to make any game run @100% that won't on a 3570k.

The Nvidia 760 is more than you'll ever need for this emulator, but obviously damn good for everything else.

SSD won't make any difference to speed though.

Gvaz

Banned
It's not working .

I put the file in the cheats folder and then enable cheats but nothing happens .

put them in cheats_ws as the inis, not in their own folders

also make sure the disk you're using matches the CRC of the cheat you're using

kaioshade

Just a couple of things to make sure of:

-The file should go in the "cheats_ws" folder if using a more recent build (which it sounds like you are), but if you're using the 1.0.0 stable release then it simply goes in "cheats". You could try just putting it in the cheats folder anyway (unless that's what you did already). There should (probably) be a comment in the log telling you if it loads.
e.g. on 1.0.0:
Code:
Cheats found!
comment: Final Fantasy XII International: Zodiac Job System (SLPM-66750)
comment: Widescreen hack by nemesis2000 (pnach by nemesis2000)
Cheats Loaded: 3

-Make sure it's the correct patch for the region (and possibly the version) of the game you have. The gamecode should match up between the patch and the disc/iso (note: not the same as the patch filename).

God thank you for that. Funny enough it was Final Fantasy XII i wanted to run in widescreen. as well ad Fatal Frame 3.Both are working wonderfully. Now to see if i can get these lines off Fatal Frame 3.

joshwaan

Hey guys im getting a new laptop ordered one with 4700mq 2.4ghz chip 8 gig mem and geforce 745m 2g would most games run full speed?

Rufus

Your PC will shut down by itself if there's trouble, so don't worry too much about temps until you're actually having issues with artifacts or random crashes and such.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Thrakier

I'm trying to play Jak and Daxter 1 on this thing. The picture is very fuzzy though (I'm running with 3x res though...), the characters have no eyes (that's weird) and the shadows are very blocky/broken. Any solutions to that? I'm running the lastest build on a 4.3 ghz i5 with a 660TI.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

vvise

I'm really bummed out that Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero isn't working. TXR2 on my DC is probably my fav racing game of all time.

Dirtie

God thank you for that. Funny enough it was Final Fantasy XII i wanted to run in widescreen. as well ad Fatal Frame 3.Both are working wonderfully. Now to see if i can get these lines off Fatal Frame 3.
I should have noted that FFXII has an ingame 16:9 mode that has to be activated for the patch to work as well.

Alucrid

Banned
So it seems that if I have Speedhacks enabled my game crashes a couple minutes in. If I don't have it enabled though there's some slowdown with the audio and FPS drops during certain occasions like in-game cutscenes. Any idea what to do?

zeelman

That's strange, because FF12 is one of the less demanding games for that emulator. What settings are you trying to run it at?

Top Bottom