• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you

PBY

Banned
I can honestly say I have never 'liked' something on Facebook or any social media to get a discount/coupon/etc, ever. And this is not the same thing.
It is the same thing. My guess is that the difference comes in with the extra step of a signed contract and NDA. Both are kinda crappy, this is shadier.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It is the same thing. My guess is that the difference comes in with the extra step of a signed contract and NDA. Both are kinda crappy, this is shadier.

see edit. And this is shady as all hell, much more so than a discount on something.

Sorc3r3r

Why would people need to get paid to advertise the all-in-one Xbox One? With tremendous exclusive hits like Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Sons of Rome, Lococyle and upcoming exclusives like Halo 5, and Titanfall the games are all there. It even allows you to experience live TV like never before with the new Kinect sensor, and Snap functionality. Xbox One is a great buy.

I see what you did there XD.

War is war.

And when your army is weaker and more costly you have to do something out of the field.

Btw, it is pretty shady.

StoopKid

Im convinced your trolling now. How in the hell is it to like a pepsi facebook post the same thing as indirectly paying content creators for endorsing the Xbox while prohibiting them to mention that they have been payed.

QaaQer

MS legal is suuuuuper fucking qualified. For them to fail to anticipate an issue like this is unthinkable to me tbh. Not sure what the second analogy has to do w anything.

Or they have enough money not to give two fucks about paying any fines and OK with breaking that law.

I understand the outrage about all this. I posted awhile back and I just want to clarify something... Are we more upset about the fact this is happening or is it more the NDA?
I mean, the part where they are "encouraged" to post positive media doesn't seem to hit me really hard. I worked in Retail for many years and in many cases we were paid Spiffs or "extra money" to sell some items over other ones. And yes, we would definitely push those items.
If I were working in a Gamestop and Microsoft offered me $20 bucks a unit to sell an XB1 while Sony offered me nothing, guess which one I would be positive over and push?
If it's the NDA we are supposed to be more upset about or rather the transparency of it all, I can go along with that more so than the other. Though I guess the retailers aren't that transparent about the spiffs either. I don't know, it's an interesting situation that I really believe needs to be researched some more. I can't imagine Microsoft is the only company to try this. They just got caught.

He does have a point though. The alternative being that gaf somehow found a legal issue that MS's highly trained and experienced legal team failed to anticipate?

Or thought would stay hidden and never bight them on the ass, or thought they'd be able to transfer responsibility to a third party, or didn't bother to look closely at the terms Machinima drew up.

The fact that the promotion violates FTC rules is not up for debate. YouTubers are required to disclose these considerations, and the companies paying them are required to inform them that those disclosures are needed. Apart from failing to inform them of that responsibility, the contract actually precludes any such disclosure. Ignorance isn't a defense. "Fancy Lawyers" aren't a defense. For whatever the reason this promotion was allowed to proceed, it is clearly illegal and undermines the credibility of editorial content EVERYWHERE which is why these issues need to be taken seriously. This thread has already spiraled from the pocket change MS was promising YouTubers to be nice to the Xbox One, to the assumption that major professional sites may also be on the take. After all, MS flaunts the law, why not aim a little higher, right?

stryke

I understand the outrage about all this. I posted awhile back and I just want to clarify something... Are we more upset about the fact this is happening or is it more the NDA?
I mean, the part where they are "encouraged" to post positive media doesn't seem to hit me really hard. I worked in Retail for many years and in many cases we were paid Spiffs or "extra money" to sell some items over other ones. And yes, we would definitely push those items.
If I were working in a Gamestop and Microsoft offered me $20 bucks a unit to sell an XB1 while Sony offered me nothing, guess which one I would be positive over and push?
If it's the NDA we are supposed to be more upset about or rather the transparency of it all, I can go along with that more so than the other. Though I guess the retailers aren't that transparent about the spiffs either. I don't know, it's an interesting situation that I really believe needs to be researched some more. I can't imagine Microsoft is the only company to try this. They just got caught.

Of course it's the NDA.

Nokterian

Microsoft defense force in here..mother of god.

shaq-gif-1.gif%3Fw%3D382%26h%3D282

PBY

Banned
Im convinced your trolling now. How in the hell is like a pepsi facebook post the same thing as indirectly paying content creators for endorsing the Xbox while prohibiting people mention that they have been payed.
I'm trying to find an analogue in kind, not degree. It's advertising that the consumer doesn't see as traditional advertising, in return for some value. You missed the part where I said it becomes different and darker w the NDA.

nib95

Banned
We're closer... shady? perhaps. Illegal? doubtful.

Have you actually read any of the legal literature provided to you in this thread, online or otherwise? Or are you just going to continually regurgitate that it is legal without doing any research of your own, simply because it suits your pro Microsoft agenda? I must say, I was doubtful at first too, but after reading everything provided….

Whats the next step?
Pay anyone who say bad things about your competitors product?

You're thinking too linearly.

The next-level shit is paying someone inarticulate that people are unable to relate to, but to endorse the competitor's product rather than your own. Most people aren't actually that deeply affected by positive peer pressure - "Oh, PewDiePie loves X-Box, I'd better buy one!" - but plenty of people are influenced by negative peer pressure - "Oh, PewDiePie loves X-Box. That must be the console for complete morons."

That's right: I'm saying MisterXMedia is the most successful Sony plant there is.

Ishan

We're closer... shady? perhaps. Illegal? doubtful.

shady? yes. Corporations do it? yes Illegal? depends. And yes I've liked pages for discounts. Except its out in the public. They put out full page ads saying like this and you get this. No NDAs.

Its one thing if ethically you dont take offense thats fine and your opinion but not realizing the difference between social marketing and what is potentially illegal and the concerns being voiced here ... I dont even know what to say.

PBY

Banned
Or thought would stay hidden and never bight them on the ass, or thought they'd be able to transfer responsibility to a third party, or didn't bother to look closely at the terms Machinima drew up.

The fact that the promotion violates FTC rules is not up for debate. YouTubers are required to disclose these considerations, and the companies paying them are required to inform them that those disclosures are needed. Apart from failing to inform them of that responsibility, the contract actually precludes any such disclosure. Ignorance isn't a defense. "Fancy Lawyers" aren't a defense. For whatever the reason this promotion was allowed to proceed, it is clearly illegal and undermines the credibility of editorial content EVERYWHERE which is why these issues need to be taken seriously. This thread has already spiraled from the pocket change MS was promising YouTubers to be nice to the Xbox One, to the assumption that major professional sites may also be on the take. After all, MS flaunts the law, why not aim a little higher, right?
I can't agree with any of your first paragraph. That's just not how a legal dept like this operates. I'm 99.99% certain that they anticipated this issue- which means they know something we dont, or you're a more competent legal analyst than they are. I also disagree with your contention that the illegality of it isn't up for debate- legal interpretation can always be debated.

Further- it can still be shady, undermining, etc without being illegal btw.

mavs

I'm trying to find an analogue in kind, not degree. It's advertising that the consumer doesn't see as traditional advertising, in return for some value. You missed the part where I said it becomes different and darker w the NDA.

Here's your analogue, straight from the horse's (elephant's?) mouth:

Example 7:
A college student who has earned a reputation as a video game expert maintains a personal weblog or “blog” where he posts entries about his gaming experiences. Readers of his blog frequently seek his opinions about video game hardware and software. As it has done in the past, the manufacturer of a newly released video game system sends the student a free copy of the system and asks him to write about it on his blog. He tests the new gaming system and writes a favorable review. Because his review is disseminated via a form of consumer-generated media in which his relationship to the advertiser is not inherently obvious, readers are unlikely to know that he has received the video game system free of charge in exchange for his review of the product, and given the value of the video game system, this fact likely would materially affect the credibility they attach to his endorsement. Accordingly, the blogger should clearly and conspicuously disclose that he received the gaming system free of charge. The manufacturer should advise him at the time it provides the gaming system that this connection should be disclosed, and it should have procedures in place to try to monitor his postings for compliance.

BWJinxing

Games. Just put out games. Good games, less shooters, something that's not a cash cow. Thats the best PR you can do. Your not getting 500$+ from me as is. However, eventually well cross paths.

12065024143_035b1a54ec_o.png

stevil

pretty sure they pay for commercials and product placement deals as well just like sony and every other company in the world.

what makes this any different?

The difference is knowing. When you see commercials or product placement you know what they are. With a deal like this you don't know if someone is saying something because he believes it or because he is paid to say it. If you trust someone's opinion this can influence you very much this is dishonest and unethical.

Marc

Fan of Boogie or not, he disclosed those things on his channel.

But he did disclose that he recieved a free PS4, and that the trip was paid for.

Why does that make it correct? Bribery is the act of giving or receiving anything of 'value' to influence decisions. That is one consideration of the law. All expenses paid trips, free consoles and games are all of great value and are well beyond the limit most would set as reasonable. If I got found out for such a thing in my job I would be open to a several grand fine and possible prison time. I can only speak for my laws but I have been told the US laws in this regard are actually more strict.

Disclosure is of use when things like dinners occur, it is why politicians 'have' to declare them. Speaking for here I believe the monetary value set on that before being considered risky is around £100. It doesn't account for things which are considered 'lavish gifts'.

What you guys seem to be saying is in the realm of "Oh but when Boogie received that million dollar cheque he like totally told everyone so its cool now right". The fact he is open about it is nice and all but at the end of the day the bribe has occurred and he may be influenced by it. It is hard to know since every influenced person would deny it too, hence the whole point of the laws to prevent such compromised states. Of course it is a bit of a blurry line in the sense he is not professing to be a journalist although he earns money from gaming opinions. It disgusts me that people who pretend to be journalists also take such bribes. Ultimately the law has left gaming alone as despite the huge sums of money involved, no one really gets hurt from it compared to a politician or policeman taking a bribe. Still, if someone decided to report it to authorities I imagine they would be duty bound to investigate and such openness could bite people on the arse.

I don't like the moral high ground viewpoint when simultaneously taking bribes.. which include directly given payments as per his youtube vid for access to certain games. Which he was going to give positive feedback anyway apparently... hmm...

Chobel

I can't agree with any of your first paragraph. That's just not how a legal dept like this operates. I'm 99.99% certain that they anticipated this issue- which means they know something we dont, or you're a more competent legal analyst than they are. I also disagree with your contention that the illegality of it isn't up for debate- legal interpretation can always be debated.

Even if MS get away with it because of some loop-hole or technicality, the actual content creators are doing something illegal by not disclosing they're getting paid.

NeoGash

If you think they're committing a crime, then report it lol.

I'm not on that side either. I'm not saying what they (Microsoft) are doing is illegal, but I love the typical fanboy response of "they are just being a business". It gets really old and it's no wonder why Microsoft tried to pull the shit with the XB1 at first given that a lot of their fanbase excuse the shit they pull.

Of course it's the NDA.

So, if Microsoft came out and said, We'll pay everyone $3.00 per 1000 views for positive impressions before it all started, this wouldn't even be an issue?

I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't still be riding them this hard.

I agree it is a completely stupid thing they did. Their product actually is pretty good and they really didn't need to do this, but I've got to say that advertising trends have been going this way for a while.

Ever since "Viral" campaigns started becoming more popular, it's been difficult to tell what's real and what's not. They aren't clearly labeled as advertisements. In many ways, this is an extension to those campaigns. They were just foolish in thinking they wouldn't get caught. And for that reason, they absolutely deserve the bad press.

With that being said, I'm not going to not buy one of their games or systems because of this. I own an XB1 and a PS4 and I want to play each of their exclusive games.
I think we are owed an apology and the transparency issue needs to be changed throughout the social media space now that it has become so central to these companies marketing plans.

stevil

I don't see the problem with this. All Microsoft is doing is paying and supporting the content creators supporting them. If other content creators who aren't fond of the Xbox Brand, decide to jump aboard and sell out on their personal beliefs for money, that's their fault and Microsoft's gain.

Just like any business contract, which this is, by the way, you aren't legally allowed to discuss the terms, conditions, or what you receive from it, so whatever.

The "you can't be negative about the Xbox One and it must be relevant" part also makes sense, why would the support you trashing their product? Besides, it's necessary. You already saw some posts on GAF discuss loopholes and ways to get money from Microsoft without doing anything. "Put it at the end of a totally unrelated video! Make a video discussing this bullshit and make money since it's about the Xbox One! Tall badly about the Xbox One and tag the video so you get paid!"

Can't blame Microsoft.

As a content creator and YouTuber myself, my channel is already practically a Xbox only channel (thanks Sony for making it so hard and BS to capture PS3 footage! And thanks even more for not allowing PS4 footage at all!), so I'm just getting paid for doing what I already do, I don't see the negative. Microsoft is just supporting those supporting them.

I know you're being sarcastic, and the hidden tag is hilarious, but seriously I sort of agree.

The problem is not disclosing that you are getting paid for it and that the video is a commercial.

I'm not on that side either. I'm not saying what they (Microsoft) are doing is illegal, but I love the typical fanboy response of "they are just being a business". It gets really old and it's no wonder why Microsoft tried to pull the shit with the XB1 at first given that a lot of their fanbase excuse the shit they pull.

Exactly, there shouldn't ever be any blind following for anything ever.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
And when your army is weaker and more costly you have to do something out of the field.

But they really don't! They pretty much just have to support good games and offer a good product while gradually lowering price on said product as manufacturing costs become cheaper. The internet is just as effective at spreading good news about something as it is spreading bad. No need for these unorthodox 420tacticalstratssubterfuges.

While I sorta agree with you, my confidence level is a lot lower than that as MS has a track record of knowingly breaking various laws. They usually tried to disguise such, but anti-competitive practices, not implementing demanded european legal sanctions, blatantly using some IP protected products in their fully knowing such... Basically, they have done it before, and with MUCH bigger issues than what this is with the FTC, so no, I can't be that confident at all and thus must seriously consider that legal missed this, or was ignored.

jedimike

So, you are just dropping the 'like' angle now? Sorry, I am just asking that you try and back up what you are saying.

From Mavs link, read example 2. No disclosure is required because payments are ordinarily expected by viewers. It is expected that YouTube channels get paid for page views.

There's more than enough wiggle room for interpretation and certainly MS examined what is legal and what is not.

jayu26

So, if Microsoft came out and said, We'll pay everyone $3.00 per 1000 views for positive impressions before it all started, this wouldn't even be an issue?

I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't still be riding them this hard.

I agree it is a completely stupid thing they did. Their product actually is pretty good and they really didn't need to do this, but I've got to say that advertising trends have been going this way for a while.

Ever since "Viral" campaigns started becoming more popular, it's been difficult to tell what's real and what's not. They aren't clearly labeled as advertisements. In many ways, this is an extension to those campaigns. They were just foolish in thinking they wouldn't get caught. And for that reason, they absolutely deserve the bad press.

With that being said, I'm not going to not buy one of their games or systems because of this. I own an XB1 and a PS4 and I want to play each of their exclusive games.
I think we are owed an apology and the transparency issue needs to be changed throughout the social media space now that it has become so central to these companies marketing plans.

We wouldn't. There was already a thread about this last week, which was not as big or intense as this. The NDA part was not known back then. Almost everyone finds the NDA part disturbing.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
This thread has been a fun read. People's heads are literally exploding in here over.. what exactly? If I have this right, they paid/are paying a youtube company of sorts to advertise or at least be neutral in their commentary of the product. Is that pretty much the gist of it?

Are they somehow also paying them to unfairly attack the PS4 or something? How is this any different from when companies cut deals with television stations and programs to have their product take center stage, or when in a sports broadcast the announcers or popular TV personalities mention, and help advertise, a company's product on the air? Wasn't it obvious that maybe some type of agreement was in place with some of the Xbox or Microsoft related promotions we've seen from Machinima? Wasn't it Machinima that had exclusive access to the Halo Forward Unto Dawn TV show, and wasn't it also the same for that Ryse mini-series?

Eh, I'm not spending too much time on the subject. We do love our Xbox drama. :)

I know you like Microsoft and like your Xbox one a lot. That is perfectly acceptable, but sometimes companies, no matter how much you like them, cross a line on things. This is one of them. Don't try to defend something that's already been proven to be very shady.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Lol Damn MS you dun goofed. It's like they are paying peeps to be PR and saying you can't say you're PR.

Not a huge deal in the grand scheme but still a goof that they will get more slander for. And on top of all the shit they've already gotten makes things much worse.

google.jpg

More like bad mouthing and selling you a product at the same time!
MS is genius!!!

The weird thing about the Scroogled ads is that, from what I can tell, it's not an uncommon practice in the States. I was watching the NFC Championship and there was this ad from Ford taking a dump on Honda. Hell, Sega ran an entire ad campaign for half a decade that took jabs at Nintendo. So why the outrage when Microsoft does it? I can understand if you're not from America, but otherwise...

Biker19

Banned
Typical GAF overreaction. There's nothing wrong or illegal about it. It's no different than giving away free stuff to celebrities in exchange for a good word or when companies ask you to like them on Facebook for a discount or free goods in a game.

Anyone can upload anything to YouTube that doesn't violate Google's TOS. It matters not whether they are getting compensated for their opinions.

...I don't think that you get what's happening.

Anti-MS GAF is fairly predictable.

That's no reason for you to post something so ridiculous.

7threst

Have you never "liked" anything to get virtual crap in a game or a discount at a retailer? Did you disclose the compensation?

What? It's all open for everybody to see that you liked (and most of the time share) a certain promotion and what you get out of it. This is the exact opposite: liking a certain product but without letting people know that you like a certain product.

Top Bottom