• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The HD Movie thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
avaya said:
Penton-Man says Universal will take up to 3months to release on Blu-ray unless they already had something they were working on...

I guess thats just standard ramp up time for a title.

avaya said:
Penton-Man says Universal will take up to 3months to release on Blu-ray unless they already had something they were working on...

I think Universal has been planning since the Warner announcements.

People expecting brand new encodes will be out of luck. It's a certainty that Universal and Paramount will simply port the HD DVD transfers to Blu-ray.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Chemo said:
From the now-dead thread...

Hey Days, it's cool... except I think you are mistaking me for someone else because I've never been banned + I have never seen or talked about Wild Hogs. XD
That was me.

I watched Cast Away on my Pioneer i didnt notice any bad scenes. Ill have to rewatch it. I love that movie.

Also i hate to keep reasking so i guess this will be my last time, and if i dont get it o well.

Can anyone with a capture card(or a means to get a really nice shot of) get me a nice screenie from Ratatouille. Its that scene where Linguini gives Remy the red and white checkered cloth full of cheese and grapes then Remy unfolds it and sits on his back against the wall.
Would be much appreciated.
its at about 51 minutes into the movie.

Askia47

FnordChan said:
A quick note on the anime front from Bandai Visual, as reported by AnimeOnDVD.

"[W]e will continue to release future installments of FREEDOM on HD-DVD / DVD Twin-Disc Format. We do not want to abandon our fans that have purchased FREEDOM 1-3. Retailers will soon stop carrying FREEDOM 1-3, but they will be available via our dot-anime.us website along with the future installments."

So, if you were enjoying Freedom (at $40 for 30 minutes, I don't imagine many of you were, but you never know) you can rest assured that they'll be finishing the series.

FnordChan

I actually have Freedom vol. 1, I got it as gift. Still haven't watched nor do I have a HD-DVD player, but it would've been nice to see it in 1080p goodness. Hopefully they switch it over to Blu-ray Disc.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Askia47 said:
I actually have Freedom vol. 1, I got it as gift. Still haven't watched nor do I have a HD-DVD player, but it would've been nice to see it in 1080p goodness. Hopefully they switch it over to Blu-ray Disc.

You can just play it on your dvd player, just in case you didn't know.

I own it too, and I can tell you that, while it is definitely a leap in PQ from HD DVD to dvd, it still looks pretty good on the dvd side.

Askia47

VanMardigan said:
You can just play it on your dvd player, just in case you didn't know.

I own it too, and I can tell you that, while it is definitely a leap in PQ from HD DVD to dvd, it still looks pretty good on the dvd side.

I know I can play it on regular players, but it kinda sucks because I probably wont go out of my way to buy a HD-DVD player to see the rich detail, but as you said it looks good on the DVD, so ill watch and see what its like.

careksims

Jill Sandwich said:
Omg Transformers on Blu!
photo-1.jpg

Oh.

Gah. When's animated Transformer movie for Blu-Ray coming out for the US? I checked Amazon and I see none in sight :/

Excited to see No Country for Old Men and Independence Day next month and in April its Predator! I still need to pick up Sunshine and probably Shoot 'em Up.

tha_con

Banned
painey said:
watched blu-ray stranger than fiction last night.. quite a good film which was suprising for me seeing as it starred pug nose and will ferrell in a semi-serious role.

Some scenes in that movie are mind bendingly stunning, all the fine lines of detail and floating text are really really impressive.

One of my favorite movies :)

So, what exactly is the deal with Universal and Paramount right now?

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:
onix, I have a question about Ps3 upscaling:

I read in another thread that I should set the Ps3 to "double scale" or something like that, but on my tv, doing that causes both vertical and horizontal black bars. I had it set to "full screen" before, but I'm not sure if I'm compromising the quality of the upscale to do that. At the same time, watching a movie with horizontal AND vertical black bars is totally unacceptable, but I imagine that's a function of having a 57" screen.

What would you (or anyone else here) recommend?

It comes down to personal preference in many cases.

A note: double scale should only ever be used if you have a 1080i/p TV.

Double-scaling is basically exactly as it sounds. It is literally doubling the native resolution of a DVD (480p to 960p), and then boxing it in black to get it to a native 1080p resolution for TV compatibility.

Why do this? This is how anal the engineers working on PS3's media functionality are :p. When doing standard upscaling (regardless of the algorithms/filters employed), you are going from 480p (once deinterlaced) to either 720p or 1080i/p. That is not an evenly divisible conversion, so NONE of the original pixels remain in the upscaled image. All pixels are interpolated. When doing double-scaling, all the original pixels still remain … with the newly interpolated pixels filling out the rest of the resolution.

Basically, it’s for people looking for the most accurate image as compared to the original source material. On most material, I do find it subtly crisper … but that is a bit hard to verify since the image size is smaller. Once I get a front-projector, I think this will be especially interesting to mess around with.

Normal is the more traditional upscaling setting. It will fill your screen to the contents aspect ratio. This is obviously all interpolated data as mentioned above, and may be ever so slightly softer due to the nature of interpolation). It is really quite good compared to standalone DVD players.

I actually went over some settings for a previous poster a little while back. Here’s a link -> PS3 DVD Upconversion Settings

Basically, it comes down to your setup, specific DVD, and personal preference for some of the settings.

careksims said:
Gah. When's animated Transformer movie for Blu-Ray coming out for the US? I checked Amazon and I see none in sight :/

Excited to see No Country for Old Men and Independence Day next month and in April its Predator! I still need to pick up Sunshine and probably Shoot 'em Up.

Import it, it is good stuff.

painey

tha_con said:
Some scenes in that movie are mind bendingly stunning, all the fine lines of detail and floating text are really really impressive.

I thought those parts were excellent.. and as pathetic as it sounds.. gave me an idea for a screenplay.

tha_con

Banned
painey said:
I thought those parts were excellent.. and as pathetic as it sounds.. gave me an idea for a screenplay.

haha, not at all man. The scene where he's brushing his teeth was sickeningly good looking, and made my wonder why I was 'wowed' by a guy brushing his teeth to the narration of Emma Thompson :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
tha_con said:

So, what exactly is the deal with Universal and Paramount right now?

loved it. Even went out and bought a Timex Iron Man from the movie :D

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
DarkJediKnight said:
I think Universal has been planning since the Warner announcements.

People expecting brand new encodes will be out of luck. It's a certainty that Universal and Paramount will simply port the HD DVD transfers to Blu-ray.

Paramount used to do separate encodes for Blu-Ray. They didn't look better, except arguably Flags Of Our Fathers.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
TAJ said:
Paramount used to do separate encodes for Blu-Ray. They didn't look better, except arguably Flags Of Our Fathers.

That's mainly because they'd remaster it in MPEG-2 for BD (as opposed to AVC or whatever it was on HD-DVD), plus the downgrade of 30GB to 25GB BDs for the single layers used early on.

Raistlin

chubigans said:
That's mainly because they'd remaster it in MPEG-2 for BD (as opposed to AVC or whatever it was on HD-DVD), plus the downgrade of 30GB to 25GB BDs for the single layers used early on.

And they typically don't bother with lossless audio even if there is room ... on either format >_<

They need to get their shit together. I was hoping that once HD DVD tanked, I would be able to stop importing as many BD's (obviously there are foreign ones I'll still import) ... but if this shit continues, I'll be importing most of Paramounts releases that Warner distributes internationally.

They actually re-encode, and use lossless audio. :\

BTW - Are you sure the re-encoded to MPEG2 ... that doesn't really make any sense.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Onix said:
BTW - Are you sure the re-encoded to MPEG2 ... that doesn't really make any sense.

Yup!

Note also that the Blu-ray version has been encoded using the MPEG-2 codec (the HD DVD is VC-1). However, the bitrate on the Blu-ray actually maxes out a bit higher than the HD DVD (which, while benefiting from an extra 5GB of disc space has some HD bonus content included, eats up some of those extra gigabytes). So this comparison is most interesting...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/195/missionimpossibleiii.html

ManaByte

Gold Member
Fry's had Crimson Tide, The Rock, and Con Air on sale for $14.99. I already had The Rock, but I picked up Con Air, Crimson Tide, Roving Mars, and HDNet's Shuttle Discovery disc which brings my BRD total to 69.

mackaveli

Hey guys,

Question for Canadians.

Where do you guys do your blu-ray shopping? I bought a ton of blu-rays during the Amazon BOGO's which were awesome. But now since there hasn't been one lately and i do not want to pay 30-33 CDN for a new blu-ray at futureshop and bestbuy anywhere else to shop?

I have recently hit up my flea market in Edmonton and have found some great blu-ray titles for $15-20. $15 for old not popular blu-ray titles and $20 for new ones.

I just got Simpsons, Donnie Brasco, Departed & Man on Fire for $20 each.

Is this the best deal i can get in Canada or is there somewhere else i can go and get blu-rays for cheap?

Decado

mackaveli said:
Hey guys,

Question for Canadians.

Where do you guys do your blu-ray shopping? I bought a ton of blu-rays during the Amazon BOGO's which were awesome. But now since there hasn't been one lately and i do not want to pay 30-33 CDN for a new blu-ray at futureshop and bestbuy anywhere else to shop?

I have recently hit up my flea market in Edmonton and have found some great blu-ray titles for $15-20. $15 for old not popular blu-ray titles and $20 for new ones.

Is this the best deal i can get in Canada or is there somewhere else i can go and get blu-rays for cheap?
Amazon is the only decent place I've found. All other US sites kill you with shipping. SIG Electronics could be OK...if they ever got anything decent in stock.

Your local Craigslist if you can trust the bastards....

dabig2

Solo said:
Wow. HD DVD dies and this thread explodes with more activity than its seen in a month, strange.

The thread needs a new, catchier title. It gets lost in the shuffle of the OT far too quickly IMO.

dabig2 said:
The thread needs a new, catchier title. It gets lost in the shuffle of the OT far too quickly IMO.

Well honestly it is more that it was decided in the other thread that since it is over and we can all focus on what is important we will try and get this thread steady now.

karasu

I watched the Lethal Weapon Blu-Ray. After all of these years it's still the only perfect action movie.

Baconmonk

Lost on BluRay looked absolutely amazing.

I had just finished watching season 2 on my computer monitor (not quite the same as my HDTV, but still a nice little widescreen thing), so I wasn't quite ready for the quality difference.

I can easily say its the best looking HD disc I own (maybe next to the Fountain, but I'm biased towards that movie.) I was pretty jarred how bad the digital 1080i cable picture looked when season 4 started, not to say my cable looks bad, but the Blu-ray has it beat.

Costanza

Banned
Baconmonk said:
Lost on BluRay looked absolutely amazing.

I had just finished watching season 2 on my computer monitor (not quite the same as my HDTV, but still a nice little widescreen thing), so I wasn't quite ready for the quality difference.

I can easily say its the best looking HD disc I own
Yeah I agree.

039_BROTHERHOODOFTHEWOLF_2SIDED~Brotherhood-of-the-Wolf-Posters.jpg

I was just watching this today. Still a fantastic movie. As most of you know, I could give a rat's ass about picture quality. As long as it's decent, I'm good.

The sound. OMG the sound. For a lowly DTS track, the French track is stunning! Excellent placements of effects and low end thud that rattles the mini figurines on top of my sub. I just love the acoustic guitar score of this movie. Excellent pacing throughout. It falls a bit short in terms of polish and plot inconsistencies. A better director would have weeded things out.

So, it's no surprise that I ask that this movie be put on a Blu-ray disc, with all the extras from my 3disc set.

TAFKAA

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
039_BROTHERHOODOFTHEWOLF_2SIDED~Brotherhood-of-the-Wolf-Posters.jpg

I was just watching this today. Still a fantastic movie. As most of you know, I could give a rat's ass about picture quality. As long as it's decent, I'm good.

The sound. OMG the sound. For a lowly DTS track, the French track is stunning! Excellent placements of effects and low end thud that rattles the mini figurines on top of my sub. I just love the acoustic guitar score of this movie. Excellent pacing throughout. It falls a bit short in terms of polish and plot inconsistencies. A better director would have weeded things out.

So, it's no surprise that I ask that this movie be put on a Blu-ray disc, with all the extras from my 3disc set.
awesome
Mark Decascos is a nice guy. Met him once

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
DarkJediKnight said:

Universal doesn't have the rights to the materials from the 3-disc DVD.

todd_final_hd.jpg

mackaveli said:
Hey guys,

Question for Canadians.

HD Movie Source
is the best site I've ever used for my HD purchases. Use the code forum1 to get an additional 4% off. Their shipping is really quick and cheap (got American Gangster on Monday, a day before its release date).

Captain N

Title: Juno (IMDb)
Starring: Ellen Page
Released: 15th April 2008
SRP: $34.98 (2-Disc)

Further Details:
Fox Home Entertainment has announced 1-disc ($29.98) and 2-disc ($34.98) editions of Juno which stars Ellen Page, Michael Cera, Jennifer Garner, and Jason Bateman. The Oscar nominated film will be available to own from the 15th April. Each DVD will include a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen presentation, and English Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Extras on the 1-disc will include a commentary by director Jason Reitman And writer Diablo Cody, 11 deleted scenes, a gag reel, a Cast & Crew Jam, and screen tests. The 2-disc will include all that, along with 4 featurettes (Way Beyond “Our” Maturity Level: Juno – Leah – Bleeker, Diablo Cody Is Totally Boss, Jason Reitman For Shizz, and Honest To Blog! Creating Juno).

Also available from the 15th April will be a Blu-ray release of the movie. The Blu-ray disc will include a high-definition transfer, along with English 5.1 DTS HD Lossless Master Audio. The disc also includes a Digital Copy of the film, all of the above 2-disc special features, as well as additional Fox Movie Channel Presents: Juno World Premiere and Fox Movie Channel Presents: Casting Session features.

Source

Source 2

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I finally go my 5 free Blu-Rays from my PS3 purchase back in November. I ended up getting.

The Prestige
Stir of Echos
The Patriot
Full Metal Jacket
Hart's War

The Prestige is really the only one I'd have ever bought but I like Stir of Echos, The Patriot, and Full Metal Jacket well enough. Never seen Harts War.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I got the same movies, except Flight of the Phoenix instead of Hart's War. I plan to sell off (or trade) Flight of the Phoenix, Stir of Echoes, Full Metal Jacket (it looks stunning), and The Patriot. PM me if anyone's interested.

I saw Full Metal Jacket for the first time last night. I liked it well enough, except for the ending and the killing off of my favorite characters in the movie
pyle and the DI

The PQ is amazing, the sound was great for an older movie, though it lacked bass, even in the war scenes.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
After being a long-time PS3 owner and Netflix user, I finally actually bought my first Blu-ray movie: Pan's Labyrinth and Ratotwilly. Yes, I'm very proud. Never been much of a disc buyer even in the DVD era, but it's always good to have a few good movies to entertain friends, etc. And I'm always all over my favorite TV series, so looking forward to those.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
"Toshiba claims that Sony’s victory in the high definition disc format war will be short lived due to the rise of HD digital video downloads over broadband, which the company claims was one of the key reason for abandoning HD DVD.""

Xater

DeathNote said:
"Toshiba claims that Sony’s victory in the high definition disc format war will be short lived due to the rise of HD digital video downloads over broadband, which the company claims was one of the key reason for abandoning HD DVD.""

Of course it was. :lol

ukiraros

AstroLad said:
After being a long-time PS3 owner and Netflix user, I finally actually bought my first Blu-ray movie: Pan's Labyrinth and Ratotwilly. Yes, I'm very proud. Never been much of a disc buyer even in the DVD era, but it's always good to have a few good movies to entertain friends, etc. And I'm always all over my favorite TV series, so looking forward to those.

Definitely the best misspelling of Ratatouille that I have seen.:D

AstroLad said:

Two amazing choices

Xater

OokieSpookie said:
No format war stuff in this thread folks, no matter how asinine it is :lol

I am still waiting for those Michael Clayton and Run Lola Run impressions. :D

Well if you were able to get them.

Xater said:
I am still waiting for those Michael Clayton and Run Lola Run impressions. :D

Well if you were able to get them.

Ack sorry about that, I did but ended up getting tied up last night.
Will definitely post some impressions when I get off of work tonight.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
OokieSpookie said:
Two amazing choices

Moving into a brand new place and setting up a completely new sound system, so that was definitely part of the motivation for the purchases as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom