• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic title coming in 2015 (Wii U/PS4/XBO)

Mr Swine

Banned
I want Sega to make the next game with refinements from Lost World. Problem with Unleashed and Generations (gens being a really good game) is that boost mechanics doesn't belong to Sonic franchise. I mean he rushes into enemies, he doesn't do that in the earlier games. Just look at the Unleashed intro, Sonic just smashes into the robots :/.

But I would love to have a Sonic game where you turn into Super Sonic and chase Eggman in space to a newly rebuilt Death Egg

Teknoman

I liked Lost World, but it felt like instead of refining their core mechanics the team went and added a second layer of gimmicky stages like a Mario would thinking that was the secret sauce instead of refined mechanics and levels built to test them.

The parkour stuff is pretty fun its just rarely used in any meaningful way

I also hope if they bring back the wisps any new ones arent garbage like the additions in Lost World

I just hope they keep 2D sections and parkour system. Also the only spindash that worked just fine in 3D.

Lost World was the absolute worst thing SEGA has produced in generations. Literally.

I'm just going to see how this game looks. About 1/3rd of Generations was very decent. I'm not sure how much of that SEGA has left in them.

Refined Lost World gameplay.

Playable Sonic, Tails, Knuckles.

Open world. Seamless.

Chao Garden.

They'll do none of this and shoehorn it as a tie in with the show

:/

Also, oh my god, we're almost 2 years away from the 10th anniversary of Sonic 06. Has it been that fucking long already..!?

baekshi

Banned
aFEVt0H.jpg

STH 2

MAtgS

I guess the Nintendo exclusivity was only for Lost World then.

There were wii exclusive Sonic games & that didn't stop Unleashed or Generations. I don't know why anyone would find this surprising (unless they never played a 3D Sonic before Generations).

They'll do none of this and shoehorn it as a tie in with the show

:/

Except that has never happened for any of the series.

There were wii exclusive Sonic games & that didn't stop Unleashed or Generations. I don't know why anyone would find this surprising (unless they never played a 3D Sonic before Generations).

In this case, SEGA and Nintendo came into an agreement for a 3 exclusive games deal, the question is though what is the third game since the mentioned in the licensor sheet mentions multiplatform.

I kno a lot people don't like that game but god damnnnn that cover art looks pretty fucking sweet.

The next anniversary game is going to be awesome.

TheOGB

Banned
I want Sega to make the next game with refinements from Lost World. Problem with Unleashed and Generations (gens being a really good game) is that boost mechanics doesn't belong to Sonic franchise. I mean he rushes into enemies, he doesn't do that in the earlier games. Just look at the Unleashed intro, Sonic just smashes into the robots :/.
It's been Sonic since Rush
Sonic 2, spin dash

Natheren

Well it won't really matter whatever this new title turns out to be, the franchise as a whole just doesn't have the appeal it once had. Sega can't deliver anymore when it comes to Sonic.

Kura

Banned
I'll be happy with anything meanwhile Sonic doesnt control like a car and you dont have to spam boost.

I recently played Sonic Lost World for the first time last month after all the backlash. It's different and took about 10-15 minutes to get used to it. I absolutely loved it except for one part.
In the next to last world when you fight the red boss in the final level... I could not, for the life of me, deliver the final blow while fighting him on the dragon. It took me over 30 minutes and researching the web. I still don't know how I did it. People said you have to time how much you charge over but I couldn't do that at all.
It was incredibly fresh and although there were some minor things I had problems with I enjoyed it quite a bit. That being said, Sonic Generations is the best 3D Sonic game I've played.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Lost World was the absolute worst thing SEGA has produced in generations. Literally.

Unfair statement when Sonic 06, Black Knight and Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood exist.

Will Wii U even be alive by 2015? So far, it hasn't been doing well all around.

It will be fine, Nintendo isn't going to pull a Sega.

I guess the Nintendo exclusivity was only for Lost World then.

No it was for Lost World, Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games and one more unannounced title, which could end up being a spin-off title.

Remember Sonic Unleashed was released for all platform but the Wii still got another exclusive Sonic game the next year.

Rlan

Also remember that there's probably a good chance of a new Sonic Racing game to come out this year, based on the two year cycle they've had (though since the PC Transformed keeps getting updated, I'm not so sure)

Also releasing in 2015 is obviously Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympics 2016, so that's another Wii U exclusive Sonci title on the way :p

Sonic 4 episode 3. All sonic fans secretly want it.

Let Sonic 4 die, and give us Sonic the Hedgehog 5, no Dimps, no horrible controls.

I'd actually like the next Sonic to take the visual style of Lost World. I never been a fan of Sonic running through realistic looking modern cities with cars and cafes and the such. I like Sonic more when the world's depicted in a quirky, strange and somewhat cartoon stylish way, where checkered patterns and stripes are a natural occurrence among rocks and plant-life.

Less this:
sonic-adventure-2-dc-ingame-45496.jpg

sonic5_qjpreviewth.jpg

More this:
362537.jpg

The_beginning.png

S2-ehz-appearanceimg2.png

Mushroomhillzone.png

Sami+

I hope it looks and plays absolutely nothing like Lost World. I'd love a return to Generations, but what I really hope for is a genuinely good story this time around. At the very least something engaging like the original Adventure.

Spinluck

looks like this year will be somewhat of a big year for sonic (compared to last yr). lost world was sloppy in its execution, and had only a handful of good stages. but i liked the direction they went in, they just couldn't get it done, and as a result we got a decent to mediocre game.

i can't wait to see the hedgehog engine on these consoles, 1080p 60fps should be glorious. i hope they don't throw out all the ideas and concepts they had in lost world, but i do hope they draw heavily from the unleashed style games (colors, generations).

cgi film? i heard about the cartoon, but this is news.

I've always wanted an open world Sonic the size of Skyrim and with Prince of Persia/Sonic hybrid gameplay.

an expanded and refined sonic lost world type sonic game would work this way. i often think up concepts that would be sorta cool in an open world sonic game. but at the same time, i think about a lot of challenges it would bring. sonic team would probably fuck it up in their current state. they have a hard time really polishing up games.

Yuterald

As long as its got Sega's blue skies, somewhat competent stage-design with S-ranks to earn and Planet Wisp/Aquatic Park/Tropical Resort Zone 3-like music then I'll be down for this.

Shojx

Y'know, being a long time Sonic fan, I'm not even really sure where I want the series to go anymore.

My favorite Sonic games are S3&K and SA2, and I haven't really enjoyed a Sonic game since Sonic Heroes. I've played every main console and handheld title released, and played most of the spin-off titles. Generations is the most recent game I had a fairly good time with, but that's most likely due largely in part to the nostalgia factor.

If I was describing, just for fun, a direction I'd like to see the series take (to the point where I'm essentially describing my never-gonna-happen dream games), I'd like to see it go something like this:

Split the games into two subseries. One with 2D side-scrolling gameplay and another with 3D platforming gameplay.

For the 2D games, I want a return to the use of sprites. They don't have to be retro 16-bit or anything, I just don't want any 2.5D business. I don't want levels designed with an intent to hit archetypal norms such as "jungle levels", "volcano levels", "snow levels" or "remixed-green-hill-zone levels". This is another reason I loved S3&K, because it had some fairly unique stages like an underground water city, a carnival, and an airship, to name a few. I actually wouldn't mind 2.5D for the level design itself depending on the way it's approached. Also, I want more than 6 stages. Give me at least 10, I want this game to last! As for gameplay itself, I feel the Genesis titles handled the 2D gameplay the best. That being said, I'm open to different ideas, as long as it controls right and doesn't cut out momentum. I don't particularly care whether or not Sonic's the only playable character. You gotta have the chaos emeralds and Super Sonic though.

As for the 3D games, I want them to focus solely on 3D platforming. No more switching to 2D throughout the levels like SM3DW, we have the 2D games for that now. I don't want the gameplay to feel too linear, as if I'm just running forward and skipping past everything, barely able to control the blue blur. I didn't like how every stage in Lost World felt like I was running forward down a cylindrical tube. No tubes, I want solid platforms / stages more like the Adventure games. I know Sonic games are supposed to be fast, I mean it's Sonic, fastest thing alive and everything, but I want a blend of both speed and balanced platforming, I don't want to just blast past everything, that's for spin dash speed running in the 2D games now. And once again, momentum physics are important. The lack of proper momentum in Lost World made the platforming feel awkward and stiff. My feelings on level archetypes in 3D are the same as they are in 2D. Since it's 3D Sonic, we've gotta have a story. But I don't like the silly Saturday morning cartoon style that Lost World took. I really liked the more serious tone of the stories in the Adventure series, but we don't want things getting too crazy like they did in a certain title a number of years ago. They just need to find a balance. They should include some friends for the story, but out of the friends we've seen, try to stick with just Tails, Knuckles, and Amy (as long as she doesn't sound like Minnie Mouse anymore). Shadow used to be my favorite but he overstayed his welcome and isn't cool anymore. You can put Blaze in if you want though. She's still cool. + Chao Garden for bonus replay value.​

Oh, oh, oh, and the most important thing in any Sonic game is the music. I want some tracks as cool as the Genesis title soundtracks. The music in Sonic is an important part of the gameplay experience to me. I replayed Sonic CD recently with the Japanese OST for the first time (rerelease) and I was like "Damn, I miss when Sonic beats were this good" so it's time we go back to that. I actually liked the direction Lost World took with some tracks, my favorites being Tropical Coast Zone 3 and the Hidden World Zone music.

But if I'm being serious and not just writing down random things I want, I think the Sonic games are ready for some sort of reboot. Maybe a new approach to the gameplay, and a new style to go with it. We're supposed to be getting another Wii U Sonic game of some sort, so between that and this 2015 title, all I can do is just wait patiently and see what kind of games they come up with this time.

Nvzman

I don't understand your line of thinking. You're not explaining why Chao Gardens suck. Chao Gardens are self-contained; they were probably one of the more enduring and competent elements of the Adventure games. Mechanically what was set up in Adventure 2 is more or less good to go with perhaps some minor alterations (maybe new stats or something, new animals, new ways of influencing growth, no Hero/Dark system, etc.) It's not likely the developer is going to sacrifice lame main content for a bomb ass Chao Garden

I never said they did suck. I actually did sink a bit of time into the Chao Garden. I just think that judging by how short the recent Sonic games are compared to Adventure 1&2's "lets reuse level assets 3 times so we can have a longer game" stuff, the Chao Gardens shouldn't waste the resources made trying to make the normal game. Generations is about 4-5 hours, and if they DID add in a Chao Garden during production the game would probably be even shorter. They don't have all the time in the world, so I think the Chao Gardens should be restricted to either DLC or another form where they don't intrude on the main game.

Did you play more than the first level of modern Sonic? I fail to see how the classic Sonic stages were not "classic" Sonic gameplay other than the overpowered Spin dash.

scripted loops
scripted rebounds
jumping direction straight upwards, not surface's normal like it should be
autosnapping into spring pads
the list goes on...

DrWong

lol. From the US comunity manager:

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.p...15-(Wii-U-PS4-Xbox-One)&p=8504554#post8504554

Hey guys --

The recent information coming out of Nuremburg Toy Fair was incorrect. SEGA has yet to announce details of upcoming console video games for Sonic the Hedgehog, or further details regarding the new Sonic CG TV series.
For official and up-to-date information on Sonic, be sure to look at our website, Facebook, and Twitter.

The information coming out of Nuremburg Toy Fair was incorrect.

So I take it either that 3rd exclusive Nintendo game is either gone/come much later or they considered Lost World as 2 games

I imagine there was a clause in the contract which allowed Sega to back out from the agreement if either the Wii U didn't sell a certain number of units, or if Sonic Lost World didn't reach a certain number of sales. EDIT - or, on the other hand, maybe Nintendo had a clause to cancel the contract if Lost World wasn't good enough.

Or the third Wii U exclusive might still be on the way. I take it the Olympics game doesn't count?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I imagine there was a clause in the contract which allowed Sega to back out from the agreement if either the Wii U didn't sell a certain number of units, or if Sonic Lost World didn't reach a certain number of sales. EDIT - or, on the other hand, maybe Nintendo had a clause to cancel the contract if Lost World wasn't good enough.

Or the third Wii U exclusive might still be on the way. I take it the Olympics game doesn't count?

the third sonic game with nintendo is still safe, with Lost world and M&Sonic olympic being the first two of that deal
the rumored (and probably true) 2015 multiplatform game is another game
Btw, Nuremberg and Jazwers leaks are usually true. Simply, they aren't aware/allowed to talk about, the "nintendo" game yet to be revealed (you all know N and its yakuza approach)

Son Of D

Will Wii U even be alive by 2015? So far, it hasn't been doing well all around.

Zelda U is speculated to be a 2015 release. Besides, it's possible (maybe even likely) that the Wii U version outsells PS4 and XB1. Sonic Racing Transformed sold best on Wii U (at least out of PS360U) after all so Sega will take the chance.

As for the third Wii U exclusive, it could possibly be a Sega Racing 3, with some Nintendo cameos. Hard to say though. For all we know it could be Sonic X Metroid Pinball.

Top Bottom