• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Now Youtube demo

I did on my LED set until I changed the settings to "PC" rather than "Game". Works a lot better now!

That's good. I've seen a lot of LG TV's with their settings in the 150ms range, even with things turned off. Didn't know going "PC" reduced that footprint even more.

Alx

I'm curious to see how fast-paced games like DOA5 or Ninja Gaiden 3 will turn out... I wouldn't have expected those to be in the first batch ; unless that's precisely their purpose in the beta, as a stress test for games requiring low latency.

Those load times though, 2 minutes in before the game starts.

I'm wondering what other games will make the service near launch. Demon's Souls I assume would be a good candidate?

sully1311

Banned
Don't get excited about that "Disc Only" part. I'm 99% sure it's there because it's pulling down the Game synopsis and other information from the PlayStation Store and you can't download there thats why it says Disc Only.

Yes, PS Now also supports trophies. They announced that when they announced the service is a little Q&A on the Blog!

Jonboy

What if you sold/broke your PS3? You could keep playing the games you already bought on your PS4.
I don't think it'd be particularly difficult to check if the disc is legit and allow you to stream it for free.
Yep. It would be more of a gesture of good-will to longtime customers anyway.

It would also provide an alternative to those wanting to avoid the subscription model (just buy a hard copy of the PS3 game).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I seriously doubt that's how it will work. Besides I don't really see the point of that. It would just be streaming the game anyway, and your subscription would be what gives you access to the game. The disc becomes pretty irrelevant. Unless they have some sort of lower tier subscription which only allows you to stream games you already own on disc, but that's pretty unlikely.

They've already said there are going to be different ways to get access to this service; there will be both subscriptions and pay-per-game options. Perhaps one of the options will allow you to stream games you own on disc.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
What if you sold/broke your PS3? You could keep playing the games you already bought on your PS4.
I don't think it'd be particularly difficult to check if the disc is legit and allow you to stream it for free.

But Sony would surely not allow that to be done for free. They're not going to allow you to access PS Now without paying the PS Now subscription. That would just be dumb on Sony's part. It would be great for us, but Sony has nothing to gain from doing that. They would just lose potential customers who would want PS Now so they can play their old games on their new system. Why should those customers subscribe if they can access their old games at no charge already?

Neat, too bad he has an LG tv.. those have notoriously bad input latency..

Ive got the lg 47ld950. Has 30ms lag which i quite good. Though yea in general you need to do alot of research for lg panels. Back on topic, i like the idea of playstation now, but its all gonna come down to the payment structure for me to see if i jump in on it.

DC1

But Sony would surely not allow that to be done for free. They're not going to allow you to access PS Now without paying the PS Now subscription. That would just be dumb on Sony's part. It would be great for us, but Sony has nothing to gain from doing that. They would just lose potential customers who would want PS Now so they can play their old games on their new system. Why should those customers subscribe if they can access their old games at no charge already?

The question is will it be based on monthly rental credits?
Or
Game availability based on a tiered hierarchy?

Or...part 2
Just one big a$$ open ended PS+ were games are added over time and nothing expires, ever.

All I want to know is where's my email Sony?

It looks like it supports trophies. You can see this near the end. If you press the PS button you open XMB on your own console with PSNow running. If you press Start like he did and then "Open XMB Menu" you essentially open the XMB menu on the server running the game. There it shows you all your trophies from your SEN account saved on Sony's servers. It's obviously set up this way for later when they add support for all devices. So you can get trophies even with a smartphone for instance.

Jonboy

It's not "for free" if you own the hard copy. You paid for it. They already allow certain online features without subscribing to PS Plus so it isn't totally far-fetched (although I agree with you that it's unlikely). Allowing you to play games, of which you already own hard copies, thru PS Now could actually serve as a nice gateway to the broader subscription service.

kiguel182

If this would work with PS3 disc based games without extra charge or included in PS+ I would be stoked. I could borrow some games that I never played since I never owned a PS3.

More probable is a Netflix style subscription or something like that.

The technology itself seems to work well, didn't notice any screen artefacts or problems with the IQ. Great stuff.

Arklite

Even though it's been a while since they acquired Gaikai,I honestly didn't expect to see the service anywhere near this stage until next year. INVITE

Also this:

neuebitmapk0k9q.png

"Disc Only" just means that a game that was previously disc only can now be enjoyed via PSNow. The game pages look like they were ripped straight from the store anyway, which includes this info.
It doesn't mean you will be able to use your disc to authorize the game at all. Sony is a business. Think rationally.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's not "for free" if you own the hard copy. You paid for it. They already allow certain online features without subscribing to PS Plus so it isn't totally far-fetched (although I agree with you that it's unlikely). Allowing you to play games, of which you already own hard copies, thru PS Now could actually serve as a nice gateway to the broader subscription service.

How could they check if you've borrowed the copy or bought it second hand?

I've been pretty unimpressed with Vita remote play performance unfortunately. It's OK for basic control games, but for anything with 3D aiming the latency really kills things (both wifi and direct).

I'd love for this service to turn out better, but I am skeptical.

Jonboy

How could they check if you've borrowed the copy or bought it second hand?
I'm not sure that it would matter. It wouldn't give you a permanent copy of the game. It would simply grant access to that title whenever the disc is inserted. If you rented or borrowed? Then you get to play as long as you keep it rented or borrowed.

At least that's how a completely ideal setup would work for me.

MazeHaze

Banned
As others have pointed out, the UI is the playstation store. If games aren't available for download from the store, it says DISC ONLY next to the title. If you pull up the page for Killzone 3 in the store right now, it says DISC ONLY because it isn't available for digital download.

Kei-

Anyone else rsvp to the beta selection email and still waiting for the actual voucher to download the app? Still haven't received a follow up email. The uploader received his Jan 31st apparently.

Anyone else rsvp to the beta selection email and still waiting for the actual voucher to download the app? Still haven't received a follow up email. The uploader received his Jan 31st apparently.

Was wondering the same thing. Haven't seen anything in my inbox.

tizorres

Neo Member
The user on GFaqs told me if you have any question he'll be happy to answer them.

Just let me know and I'll give them to him

He said he'll have a video up about the input lag test and yes he was recording with one hand, that's why he wasn't playing too good. The network speeds he test at are It's 5 down 1 up, also tested at my friend's house with 10 down and 1 up... Hopefully I can make a video where I'm testing it over there.

He doesn't have a capture card so all he can do is potato quality. Sorry about that.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The user on GFaqs told me if you have any question he'll be happy to answer them.

Just let me know and I'll give them to him

He said he'll have a video up about the input lag test and yes he was recording with one hand, that's why he wasn't playing too good. The network speeds he test at are It's 5 down 1 up, also tested at my friend's house with 10 down and 1 up... Hopefully I can make a video where I'm testing it over there.

He doesn't have a capture card so all he can do is potato quality. Sorry about that.

Ask him to test online multiplayer on one of the games and give impressions. If you can play online multiplayer over ps now anyway.

tizorres

Neo Member
Ask him to test online multiplayer on one of the games and give impressions. If you can play online multiplayer over ps now anyway.

Actually was able to play Dead or Alive 5 online versus some guy in France.

My damned router decided to switch itself from nat2 to nat3 by itself after I had to get a new modem. So while even though the video quality did degrade...it did not interrupt his ass-kicking of me (lol been awhile, shaking off the rust)

Controller responsiveness is just simply astounding. Even with my crappy internet both on doa5 and ninja gaiden 3 I ran into one short pause each on the game then right back to the action.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Actually was able to play Dead or Alive 5 online versus some guy in France.

My damned router decided to switch itself from nat2 to nat3 by itself after I had to get a new modem. So while even though the video quality did degrade...it did not interrupt his ass-kicking of me (lol been awhile, shaking off the rust)

Controller responsiveness is just simply astounding. Even with my crappy internet both on doa5 and ninja gaiden 3 I ran into one short pause each on the game then right back to the action.

So basically he wasn't at a disadvantage in online multiplayer on PS Now? Excellent.

sully1311

Banned
If this is true. I am and I'm not surprised. Surprised that it works so well, but not surprised because Sony obviously felt that this was ready for a real world environment.

saw the vid before it went down and it looked pretty good, good speed to load up PS Now and a good speed loading up a game

good choice of games too, i want a invite :(

Top Bottom