• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 is the best survival horror game since Silent Hill 2

Pretty he says why he feels guilty in the first game and this one too.

He feels guilty in the first game because he believes Lily is actually dead, in fact she was actually dead in the first game, this game just brought her back to life for convenience. In this game, right at the very beginning they tell Sebastian Lily is still alive.

There's no point for Sebastian to feel guilty at all, he didn't start the house fire, he didn't get Lily killed, he literally didn't do anything wrong whatsoever.

Oh wow he didn't listened to his wife's conspiracy? Boo hoo hoo, what a horrible person he is!!!

Skulldead

I'm 15 hours in, i'm not even tired. I really dig the world. My biggest grip so far is the insane amount of auto-save, it remove a little that survival element that is really present so far (nightmare difficulty here).

Can't remember last time i really dig a survival horor game like this.

Keinning

The story is great

Had to stop reading here, we have wildly different opinions.
Good that you enjoyed the game though. I hope success for it and perhaps a third version to improve more on the concept. Didnt thought TEW2 was bad.

Nope

tumblr_m1cswzwBC51r7un3co1_500.gif

Good man

KorrZ

Just played the first hour or so last night. Honestly impressed so far, it's a drastic improvement over the first game in general feel.

I was a little thrown off when the dialogue menu popped up but so far the atmosphere has been sufficiently creepy, and the little bit of gunplay I got into felt good.

Hektor

It technically doesn't have a single side quest, just scattered, minor one-off diversions that you can completely ignore and barely miss/lose anything.

The optional missions you get from NPC's are sidequests by every common definition of the word

I haven't played it yet, but I'll be pretty shocked if it's better than Resident Evil 4, Dead Space 1 & 2, and Resident Evil VII. Saying The Evil Within 2 is better than all of those games is a pretty bold statement. I'd really be interested in hearing more opinions on this from others who have played it.

Its a pretty bold statement. I'm playing EW2 at the moment. Almost at the end of the game. I must say I get a pretty strong RE4 vibes. In the beginning of the game, there was some extremely scary moments, coming down to the end its more tense bloodpumping moments. Comparing to Dead Space 1 & 2, i would say the beginning would have the dead space 1 factor and coming down to the end, the tense and action moments of Dead space 2. I liked it more than RE7 tho.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

kromeo

Not that it really matters but I don't personally think of RE4 or the Dead Spaces as survival games, they're shooters at heart and neither are exactly shy about loading you up with firepower

This is driving me insane.

Less than 40% of TEW2 is open world.

It technically doesn't have a single side quest, just scattered, minor one-off diversions that you can completely ignore and barely miss/lose anything.

It certainly doesn't have a single fetch quest, it just tells you where there are some resources.

What the fuck are people smoking

It's more apparent if you think about what it does not have (in its "open" stages, which is probably its biggest chunk). Like proper puzzles, metroidvania-esque exploration (I only found one key to actually unlock something cool), carefully placed items, focused level design for indoor locations on the map, or even tight encounter design (you can literally run away from everything without even sprinting).
Instead, you get a rather unremarkable looking space with generic houses, arbitrary item drops, "go to the map marker and press a button", "follow the trails", "found 1/10 fragments", etc. Maybe it's not technically open world, but it sure as hell is closer to such standard modern AAA design than what constitutes great survival horror.
Some of the "traditional" chapters are okay-ish, but often dumbed down by the terrible dialogue/story.

UrbanRats

I'm on chapter 10.
Both gameplay and story I'm finding less compelling, by a significant margin, than Evil Within 1, to be quite frank.

Still like it though.

Assuming SH2 was a 9 or a 10, EW1 was a strong 8, this is a weak 7 so far.

Not that it really matters but I don't personally think of RE4 or the Dead Spaces as survival games, they're shooters at heart and neither are exactly shy about loading you up with firepower

Came in here to say this about Resident Evil 4.

Absolutely nothing about that game is “horror” to me. Dead space I’ll give.

rtcn63

All I'm going to say also on the Sebastian guilt thing is it wasn't bad to me, and I guilt is a powerful thing for many. Some won't enjoy it, but I've been around people who feel guilt years and years after the fact even if its not their own fault. From a friend who's father committed suicide and blamed herself, to a friend who got divorced and blamed himself, to one of my closest friends who has a really deep rooted belief that she's a bad person and hurts other people and has a hard time seeing the good of herself. I'm not saying TEW2 is some masterwork of writing, but guilt is an incredibly powerful thing for some people even if they aren't at fault, coming from being close with several people who deal with it regularly.

You have to factor in the (admittedly subtle) characterization of Seb in TEW1. Even at the end of the game, it's simply impossible to see his behavior progress into that of TEW2 Seb. (And remember, he believed that his wife and daughter were dead before the opening chapter) They may have the same background, but they're almost entirely different people in how they react to the circumstances in front of them. Finding out that Lily is alive could elicit an abrupt, out-of-character change, but he's already a different Seb even before that.

Forget it, you know what you are totally right OP! The Evil Within 2 really is the best survival horror game since Silent Hill 2! and MGSV has the best video game story since MGS3!!

Man I really wish everyone have good taste in games like you...

I disagree. The story/writing was so bad. My eyes felt sore after rolling so hard by the end of it.

It felt like a story for kids, extremely generic, cliche and over dramatic.

Forget it, you know what you are totally right OP! The Evil Within 2 really is the best survival horror game since Silent Hill 2! and MGSV has the best video game story since MGS3!!

You do know it's possible to disagree without resorting to sad shit like this, right?

In fact, it's sort of what people do on GAF

Don't worry OP, I agree wholeheartedly! I haven't felt like I do playing Evil Within 2 with any other game for as long as I can remember. It very much reminds me of all those nights playing RE4 so many years ago, goofy (but fun) story and all.

While I still think Soma, Silent Hill 2 and Siren are the best survival horror games, Evil Within 2 is easily the best survival action game in years. Right up there with Resident Evil 4 in my top 5 games of all time.

Glad you like it too, OP.

TEW2 is good but it doesn't really hold a candle to Silent Hill 3, Dead Space, Alien: Isolation, or even TEW1 in terms of its atmosphere and storytelling. And it's not even CLOSE to SH2. But regardless it is still good and I'm enjoying it immensely. I just wish it didn't feel so second rate compared to it's predecessor.

fetus8

I don't think TEW2 is even the best Survival Horror game of 2017...
I know multiple people have mentioned RE7, but like come on. RE7 has an engaging story and way better atmosphere. TEW2 barely manages to have a single character that we as players can get invested in.

silva1991

Still not feeling the game and I think it's much weaker than the first game. And TEW1 isn't half as good as RE7, DS1 and 2 to me.

It felt like a story for kids, extremely generic, cliche and over dramatic.

Yikes. We get you don't like it, but this is just embarrassing...

rtcn63

Still not feeling the game and I think it's much weaker than the first game. And TEW1 isn't half as good as RE7, DS1 and 2 to me.

For me, TEW is less scary than RE7 but has significantly better combat. RE7 does lose a lot of steam after the first two hours or so. It matters more so on replays.

SomTervo

The optional missions you get from NPC's are sidequests by every common definition of the word

I suppose the key difference is they're not kept in a ledger of 'Quests', they don't have a set 'structure', they just exist in the gameworld so you can just find them and you don't always get rewards for doing them.

You can technically call them side quests but the point here is people are using the term 'sidequest' in the pejorative ala a Ubisoft open world game or an open world RPG.

These are nothing like that. These feel like a different type/breed of side quest in a small-scale survival horror context.

carlsojo

If you don't think those are survival horror I don't know how you can think Evil Within 2 is.

Perineum

No way in hell Bad Wolf. Not even damn close.

Games better in the survival horror genre since Silent Hill 2:

Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Outlast
Outlast 2
Evil Within
Resident Evil 7

I know opinions, but man this game is worse in every department except visuals and use of sound design compared to EW1.

-Less Interesting Plot
-Less interesting villain/s
-Removal of great elements like matches and disarming traps
-Very few atmospheric moments
-To tie into atmosphere is the lack of interesting and spooky environments. The Marrow Within AKA snoozefest design. Military facility corridors ... yeah that's terrifying.
-Shit pacing. The game never feels like it's taking it up a notch until the very end, and when it does you know it's the end.
-Tons of throwaway characters.
-Gunplay less functioning than EW1. You can point blank shit and it misses...
-WAY too stealth focused. I'm sorry, but if you want to be efficient in this game on harder difficulties you MUST stealth your way through.
-Stealth would be fine, but it's so damn casual friendly and boring. EVERY enemy makes noise you can hear a block away, so you never get surprised by anything in the game. Again, great audio, but it loses any suspense the player could have.
-World building is off. This ties into atmosphere and the environments. The marrow shouldn't have existed if they couldn't make it into something incredible and tense. Union changes color palettes throughout the game at best.

I could go on and on, but fuck me. It's crazy to me that folks who played EW1 from start to finish can feel Last of Us 1.5 is a better game for a survival horror experience than the original Evil Within.

BadWolf

Don't worry OP, I agree wholeheartedly! I haven't felt like I do playing Evil Within 2 with any other game for as long as I can remember. It very much reminds me of all those nights playing RE4 so many years ago, goofy (but fun) story and all.

While I still think Soma, Silent Hill 2 and Siren are the best survival horror games, Evil Within 2 is easily the best survival action game in years. Right up there with Resident Evil 4 in my top 5 games of all time.

Glad you like it too, OP.

*bro fist*

I don't think TEW2 is even the best Survival Horror game of 2017...
I know multiple people have mentioned RE7, but like come on. RE7 has an engaging story and way better atmosphere. TEW2 barely manages to have a single character that we as players can get invested in.

You saying that RE7 has an engaging story and characters that you can invest is it what blows my mind.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Sorry about that, but I was so blown away by that title and opinion that I almost want to stab myself.

What the hell is happening to the survival horror community..?

HOLY SH*T

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Lol if the writing in the first one is anything to go by, I have a very hard time believing that the story in the sequel is anywhere near being "great"

I think that's fair, but within the context of labeling The Evil Within a survival horror IP, these games absolutely qualify as well.

kromeo

I know they're not particularly popular around here but I personally rate Amnesia and to an extent Soma up there with a lot of the games being mentioned

Zutrax

While I truly do enjoy Evil Within 2, I feel like this is an incredibly bold statement.

Evil Within 2 is beaten by plenty of games since Silent Hill 2's release:

Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Remake
Dead Space 1 and 2
Alien Isolation
Resident Evil 7 (in VR)

And despite how good all of those titles are I don't think they quite reach the brilliance of Silent Hill 2. I still have yet to play a game that's quite as profound as it while also still being a good game to play. Evil Within 2 has the gameplay, but it doesn't have the story. It's an interesting concept and has some deeper meaning to some of the ideas portrayed, but the writing is very surface level and it all comes off as cheesy and shallow rather than impressive to me.

It's still a damn good horror title though, no denying that, just not Silent Hill 2 level.

SomTervo

Jesus Christ.

Soul of the Beast really on a roll today

SOMA is amazing!

I know they're not particularly popular around here but I personally rate Amnesia and to an extent Soma up there with a lot of the games being mentioned

SOMA is a masterpiece but it's certainly not a survival horror game. Indeed it is a horror game but there's no survival in there.

I think Amnesia fits the bill and absolutely deserves a mention - if for naught but arguably kickstarting a new generation of horror popularity.

Sorry about that, but I was so blown away by that title and opinion that I almost want to stab myself.

What the hell is happening to the survival horror community..?

HOLY SH*T

You know a community is made up of multiple people, right?

And that people, you know, have different opinions and tastes?

And that, if you read like 10 posts, you'll find almost nobody agrees with the OP?

rtcn63

You saying that RE7 has an engaging story and characters that you can invest is it what blows my mind.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

RE7 takes your standard horror and narrative tropes and executes them fairly well. Enough so that at first glance, you don't feel the desire to over scrutinize (for the most part). Ethan isn't supposed to be a drooling, bawling imbecile the entire game, confused and horrified as to why he's trapped in a house full of psychopaths. And Zoe... she's more mysterious Ada Wong then damsel in distress. Her brother is just an unashamed dick.

TEW2 is cliche in how cliche it is. There is no attempt to make the characters believable or really even as parody, except for a few "slight chuckle" lines thrown from Seb and Kidman... that seem even more out of place when you realize how serious the story tends to take itself. (Thematically, it's all business) I'm honestly agreeing with Soul that it's bordering on bad writing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

WTF!!! You come off as some self entered asshole. There people who enjoyed TEW2 more than you, that doesn't make your "taste" superior than others.

I would echo the sentiment that it isn’t even the best Evil Within game. It feels forgettable and uninspired. The only sense of tension in the game comes from having to run from multiple enemies because guns feel useless and even then you can stealth kill almost everything no problem.

NightOnyx

I really want to play it but no Pro support bums me out. I know they are going to patch it so I'll probably get it eventually, but with so much coming out, it will likely be during some sale next year.

Gbraga

What the hell has happening to the survival horror community..?

HOLY SH*T

I wonder what your opinion on the game's writing would be if the protagonist's reason for being so angry was that someone on the internet disagrees with him.

You think the writing in The Evil Within 2 is embarrassing? Try reading your posts.

Chill out, dude.

SOMA is a masterpiece but it's certainly not a survival horror game. Indeed it is a horror game but there's no survival in there.

Yeah, I just wanted to show it some love. I wouldn't really consider it a survival horror game either. It's mainly a modern adventure game with some horror elements.

I wonder what your opinion on the game's writing would be if the protagonist's reason for being so angry was that someone on the internet disagrees with him.

You think the writing in The Evil Within 2 is embarrassing? Try reading your posts.

Chill out, dude.

My post has the same level of writing as The Evil Within 2. Actually, it might be better.

Play the game and you will see.

Wink

I like it, I think it's a really solid game. I don't think it even touches the first one in terms of setting tension. I think what Mikami did with TEW1 is immensely underappreciated when it comes to the horror genre, because the gameplay was a little on the rough site and the story was very hard to follow. But what that also contributed to, next to the constant feeling of helplessness and disorientation due to the theme of the setting, is an incredibly thick feeling of dread and anything possibly happening at any given time.

TEW2, while definitely being more fun to play, due to the hub based gameplay, hands huge portions of the game over to the players control of how to approach, where to go and what to do. This amount of control works counter the unpredictability of STEM and that sucks out most of the slowly creeping up psychological pressure that the first game had implemented like no other horror game I ever played. Which is why I respected it despite its flaws. It wasn't about cool combat or explaining circumstances to the player, it was about rearranging your brain and if you went with it, it was an incredibly draining, hardcore horror experience. TEW2 is in limbo somewhere between trying to recapture this atmosphere and being a modern player driven game and just doesn't work on the same level.

I don't really wanna get into comparing it to other horror games, just gonna say that I appreciate the constant nods to RE and SH in both games.

I’m on chapter 7 and I really like a lot of things about it, but I still prefer Dead Space. The shooting in TEW series ain’t so hot. I love the atmosphere though.

Top Bottom