• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 is the best survival horror game since Silent Hill 2

So, my problem with the original Evil Within was the fact that enemies were crazy bullet sponges, and the hiding mechanic seemed really unfair. I could hide and not make a sound, and inevitably, they'd find me 20 seconds later. Have they fixed this in the second game?

Hektor

I’m enjoying the game quite a bit, haven’t finished it yet but this argument is already a “lol no” for me.

When there’s a group of enemies near a saferoom and I can run out, sneak kill one of them and then run back into the saferoom with the others chasing me, and then immediately go back out the door and repeat that exact same process with the same group of enemies until they’re all eliminated...I’m not buying the “great stealth system” argument.

You don't even have to do that.

Buy the sneakkills around a corner skill.

Trigger an enemy horde, run around a corner, go in cover, press A to "sneak" kill, run around the next corner and repeat ad nauseam

I'm on Chapter 9 and agree for the most part. But there have been a lot of great horror games since Silent HIll 2. Hell, PT was great and it was only a demo.

This and RE7 this year are my picks for best horror games.

BadWolf

Hell, PT was great and it was only a demo.

Losing Silent Hills is the greatest tragedy of the genre :/

Capcom tried aping it with RE7 but it wasn't even close.

Do you have to play the first in order to play number 2?

As with all direct sequels you will get more out of the characers/story if you play the previous game but I think you can enjoy it just fine if you go directly to TEW2 as well.

SexyFish

Banned
I haven't played it yet, but I'll be pretty shocked if it's better than Resident Evil 4, Dead Space 1 & 2, and Resident Evil VII. Saying The Evil Within 2 is better than all of those games is a pretty bold statement. I'd really be interested in hearing more opinions on this from others who have played it.

Evil Within 2 like the first just sets itself up to have a wide change of environments and types of enemies. That's probably the best thing it can do is just change things suddenly due to the [minor spoiler, I guess?]
Matrix-like setting
. Voice acting is garbage, story is generic, and it doesn't really do anything unique? I enjoy the game for what it is, but it is nowhere near the pinnacle of the genre.

this is good to hear. can't wait to play.

i know it's all opinions. some say dead space. some say tew. some say RE7. some say alien isolation. some say outlast. etc.

its just good to know that tew2 is well received and can be considered among the best in the genre

rtcn63

So, my problem with the original Evil Within was the fact that enemies were crazy bullet sponges, and the hiding mechanic seemed really unfair. I could hide and not make a sound, and inevitably, they'd find me 20 seconds later. Have they fixed this in the second game?

This isn't exactly true. The game has progression mechanics, and expects you to upgrade the effectiveness (i.e. damage) of your weapons. You can actually improve your weapons to point where by mid-game (where the difficulty does ramp up because of the boss fights), you can kill standard enemies with a single shotgun blast or with a fire bolt. In fact, the unupgraded crossbow bolts are incredibly overpowered considering how cheap it is to craft them. Freeze bolt + melee, flash bolt + sneak kill, shock bolt + match. And I'm talking wasting entire small groups at a time.

Even then, I've just started replaying the game on Nightmare, and it took one pistol bullet to the leg to knock an enemy down consistently, then follow through with a match for an instant kill. And bottles and stealth can be used instead of bullets for one-on-one encounters with standard enemies. Like this game is jank, but it's not at all difficult if you use your head.

Also I've never actually used the hide mechanic outside of the opening chapter, and maybe during Chapter 9.

Arklite

Losing Silent Hills is the greatest tragedy of the genre :/

Capcom tried aping it with RE7 but it wasn't even close.

You're right, RE7 was completely different, and their take was pretty impressive too. Personally I'm convinced Capcom were not looking to ape PT at all after playing 7.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";252502374]SOMA beats Silent Hill 2 in every category except for somehow having worse gameplay.[/QUOTE]

7s9NHFN.jpg

If The Evil Within 2 is a movie it would get lower score than The Emoji Movie on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's . Fucking . Trash.

Chapter 12 is especially hilarious, it basically went like this:

''Save me daddy!''

''I am trying! but I am too guilty of my past. It's all my fault!''

''Yes! It's all your fault Daddy!''

''Wait, what? I didn't actually do shit lol, I shouldn't feel guilty! Here I come my baby girl!''

......OH MY GOD WHO WROTE THIS SHIT.....

For fuck's sake Sebastian. Your wife is fine and your daughter is also fine, you just need to get them out, why the fuck would you feel guilty? You didn't do anything wrong at all and we all know that, what the fuck is the game on about??? This is beyond retarded.

Honestly I will never take OP opinion seriously ever again, this is part of the reason why video game all have shit stories, because these gamers actually find them well written because they have never read a good story in their life.

It honestly sound like this ''wow this has to the best Transformers movie! when Bumblebee get hurt I was like, oh mah god I'm gonna cry, it's like sooo sad and sooooooo emtional, the story is super good like it's got sad music and stuff''

i absolutely not agree, while evil within 2 is nice, it's in no way close to silent hill 2 or a lot of other horror game... especially the story... it's pretty fucking basic even

T.O.P

Banned
After finisheing the game the other night...it ain't even better than the first TEW and i wouldn't rate it above a 6/10

RE7 was a way better game, cna't wait for the DLCs

Marcel

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";252502374]SOMA beats Silent Hill 2 in every category except for somehow having worse gameplay.[/QUOTE]

paging nuclear takes on twitter

Hektor

When did this game become survival horror?

Or is that the new term for game with horror sometimes

If Dead Space isn't survival horror then TEW2 is certainly much less so

i know it's all opinions. some say dead space. some say tew. some say RE7. some say alien isolation. some say outlast. etc.

its just good to know that tew2 is well received and can be considered among the best in the genre

But TEW2 really isn't all that well received? Opinions are just as divided as with the first game, just for different reason

I would place the first two Dead Space games and The Evil Within 1 in the exact same category. They're all action focused survival horror games. I haven't played TEW2, so I can't comment on how similar it is to those games.

Shauni

I mean unless I'm misremembering SH2 entirely, the narrative style and atmosphere are completely different to that of TEW2. Even the original TEW and RE7 share more of the DNA of the SH series.

I think that's clearer post-edit. When I first responded you hadn't edited, and it seemed more like you were saying SH2's story was forgettable

Duxxy3

I'd say it's better than Dead Space 3, RE5 and RE6. Not as good as RE4,TEW, DS1 or RE7. It's fairly close to DS2.

To me it's like a better revelations game. And I love those games. I've already thought about replaying TWE2.

dead space says hello

Did you play Dead Space?

Dead Space isn't even CLOSE to being as good as Silent Hill 2. That said, Dead Space was a great horror game judged on its own merits.

At the top of the list, but I'd say Alien: Isolation edges it out.

Both are reigning champs though.
Alien Isolation is a goddamn masterpiece as well

If The Evil Within 2 is a movie it would get lower score than The Emoji Movie on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's . Fucking . Trash.

''Save me daddy!''

''Wait, what? I didn't actually do shit lol, I shouldn't feel guilty! Here I come my baby girl!''

For fuck's sake Sebastian. Your wife is fine and your daughter is also fine, you just need to get them out, why the fuck would you feel guilty? You didn't do anything wrong at all and we all know that, what the fuck is the game on about???

Honestly I will never take OP opinion seriously ever again, this is part of the reason why video game all have shit stories, because these gamers actually find them well written because they have never read a good story in their life.

GameFAQs level hyperbole here

Marcel

Some people in here have the game equivalent of recent movie syndrome where the last thing they saw is the greatest fucking thing ever...until the next thing.

Surfside

Banned
Can't give my opinion on The Evil Within 2 yet, as i only played the first.

For me in order of which provide the best survival horror feeling:

1. Alien Isolation
2. Dead Space 1
3. Soma
4. Resident Evil 1
5. Resident Evil 2
6. Resident Evil 4
7. The Evil Within
8. Resident Evil 5

The ranking doesn't necessarily mean that i consider it the better game, just that it excels in the survival aspect for me. Case in point is Resident Evil 4, which i consider the best Resi game to date.

SomTervo

Yeesh, big words.

I'm loving TEW2 - will see how this develops over the next few hours in-game.

At this stage I would certainly agree if the combat was a bit less finicky thanks to irritating enemy attack design.

Nev

Banned
An open world checklist game? Haha nice one.

SOMA is the best survival horror game since Amnesia, which was the best since Resident Evil 2, which was the best since Alone in the Dark.

People call Ratchet & Clank and Banjo platformers. By that metric it's not hard to catalogue Dead Space as a survival horror.

themindkillah

Neo Member
I'm so happy Evil Within 2 is awesome. I'm enjoying it more than the first one for sure. I think there's been plenty of games that have come around and made a real impact since Silent Hill 2 though. I still remember playing the game when it came out, it's easily in my top 5 games of all time. So to me, when you look at Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 4, Condemned, Dead Space 1-2... All of which brought a something special to the genre and in some cases even pushed things forward, Evil Within 2 has some big shoes to fill.

DukeBobby

It's a good game, but I wouldn't go that far.

I find the game to be completely lacking in atmosphere. Sure, it has some creepy locales and enemy designs, but not once did I feel remotely unsettled. That's a big no-no for a horror game, in my opinion. Even the first game, which I think is inferior, fared better in that department.

SomTervo

...they copied a bunch of cheap open world tropes (instead of making careful levels like classic survival horror,). I.e. fetch quests, too much looting, arbitrary map placements, map icon hunting instead of real exploring/puzzle solving...

An open world checklist game? Haha nice one.

This is driving me insane.

Less than 40% of TEW2 is open world.

It technically doesn't have a single side quest, just scattered, minor one-off diversions that you can completely ignore and barely miss/lose anything.

It certainly doesn't have a single fetch quest, it just tells you where there are some resources.

What the fuck are people smoking

SOMA is the best survival horror game since Amnesia, which was the best since Resident Evil 2, which was the best since Alone in the Dark.

I seriously would struggle to call SOMA a survival horror game. 'Survival' doesn't factor into it. It's just a horror game with three/four stealth parts. And even if you're caught you just get to retry a couple of times. There's no resource/item management, which is a core tenet of survival horror.

It's a masterpiece, but it's not a survival horror game.

Also you're missing multiple other classics; Alien: Isolation, Resi 1, Resi 4, Dead Space 1 (just).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Jake2by4

It's . Fucking . Trash.

''Save me daddy!''

For fuck's sake Sebastian. Your wife is fine and your daughter is also fine, you just need to get them out, why the fuck would you feel guilty? You didn't do anything wrong at all and we all know that, what the fuck is the game on about??? This is beyond retarded.

It honestly sound like this ''wow this has to the best Transformers movie! when Bumblebee get hurt I was like, oh mah god I'm gonna cry, it's like sooo sad and sooooooo emtional, the story is super good like it's got sad music and stuff''
Pretty he says why he feels guilty in the first game and this one too.

BadWolf

The enemies are definitely not bullet sponges this time and the stealth is a lot more competent. Not just stealth by proceeding via stealth kills but true stealth where you can avoid engaging enemies at all. I cleared a lot of areas while having little to no contact with enemies. If you are hiding and crouch walking then you will not be heard or seen.

You can get the critical shot skill for your gun really early in this game. It gives you a 30% critical shot rate, but tbh it feels a lot higher considering its success rate. Aim for the head and a critical shot will take the head clean off with one bullet.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Nope.

The Evil Within
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
REmake
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 7
Silent Hill 3
FEAR
FEAR 2
Eternal Darkness
PT

All are better horror games than TEW2. TEW2 is good, but the best since SH2? Nah.

I finished TEW2 and I'm replaying the first TEW and it blows the sequel out of the water in terms of atmosphere and horror.

SomTervo

Silent Hill 2 is still the greatest survival horror experience of all time, so any other answer on the grounds of 'experience' is completely moot. There are several close, or even better, games, but there are no better survival horror experiences.

In TEW2:
- enemies are far easier to kill and pretty fun to fight once you unlock some weapons/abilities
- BUT their attack animations are much worse designed so they rush you and it gets clunky trying to keep them on-screen
- stealth is vastly, giantly improved - arguably it's overpowered, you can run and lose enemies pretty quickly

FEAR
FEAR 2

Sorry but these are action games. Or, at a stretch, 'action horror', not survival horror.

Otherwise good list, though I'd include TEW1 and 2 in there too as greats.

MikeBison

I'm really enjoying Evil Within 2 as I did the first.

But no.

Dead space 1 and 2.
Alien Isolation.
Resi 4!!!
Eternal Darkness
Maybe even Resi 7.

A few more i'm forgetting.

Top Bottom