• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA VC on Wii U starting April 3rd

zsidane

Just saw this on Wii U france FB page.
First game announced is Advance Wars, coming next week.
1503354_761305910555439_1860487221_n.png

A given, but Nintendo UK FB & twitter also confirmed this.

So far only announced in PAL lands.

UPDATE: More details

Bjpfz1YIYAANijl.png

According to NOE:

Games will be priced £6.29/6,99€.

Release dates:

3rd April

• Advance Wars
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Metroid Fusion

10th April
  • Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
  • WarioWare, Inc.: Minigame Mania

17th April
  • F-Zero Maximum Velocity
  • Golden Sun

24th April
  • Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island

Source

Trailer

Defuso

For real? Instant Buy for me!

(Please give me a new Advance Wars. I don't care if it is for 3DS or Wii U!)

Multiplayer would be awesome :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Once again, this kind of pisses me off. Makes absolutely no sense that this isn't on the 3DS as well. None. The reason doesn't matter. No sense.

While it's by far one of the best games on the system, it seems like an unusual game to begin with. I would have expected something from a more generally popular series.

JB2448

Here's the post on the official UK Wii U Facebook page.
Good for Europe. Let's wait and see if it's also planned for Japan and North America around the same time.

Yup. NIntendo UK tweet:

Prepare for battle! Advance Wars will storm onto #WiiU Virtual Console on 3rd April! #GBA pic.twitter.com/egeu6XspG0

Mr. F

Banned
Just saw this on Wii U france FB page.
First game announced is Advance Wars, coming next week.
1503354_761305910555439_1860487221_n.png

Lock if already announced :/

This had better be a sign of things to come, I'm dying for a new Advance Wars. Such a wasted opportunity when they're scrambling for tablet uses and the most logical one is staring them in the face.

starting off with the system's best

also i'm no expert about these kind of things, but if that screen is representative of how it's going to look on the console, the color is pretty washed out, no?
ah well, guess i'll wait and see how it looks once it's out

Ein Bear

Be interesting to see how these games look on an HDTV. Pretty excited though, Advance Wars is one of my favourite games of all time.

Roto13

Blech. So dark.

Once again, this kind of pisses me off. Makes absolutely no sense that this isn't on the 3DS as well. None. The reason doesn't matter. No sense.

Yes, of course, the reason they're not on 3DS can't possibly matter.

Mael

Yeah the only game on GBA I don't even care to replay while the copy is like 10 cm from a DS and a GBA.....
Pass.
Good for those who find this interesting though.

entremet

Apparently the 3DS is not powerful enough to run GBA games emulated. It runs them off DS hardware for the ambassador games.

I still don't understand why they're doing GBA VC on Wii U

Satoru Iwata said:
[C]urrently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms.
[...]
In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Yes, of course, the reason they're not on 3DS can't possibly matter.

It doesn't. It's their main hardware, their bread winner and the one successful thing Nintendo has going for it. They are just pissing in the wind and it's landing in their face with this. This won't sell a dead system and this won't sell nearly the numbers it should because it's on said dead system. If the reasons are technical or financial, get over it and make it happen.

This just makes Nintendo look supremely foolish.

Top Bottom