• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda/ZeniMax: Wii U is not something that we are currently developing for

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So in the previous thread Pete Hines stated "We have nothing announced in development for Wii U."

Some posters in the thread were wondering if this was actually a coy answer indicated that they did in fact have Wii U games, but just that they weren't announced yet.

Today Pete Hines clarified that in an interview with MCV.

MCVUK said:
MCVUK: Is it important to a company like Bethesda that next-gen consoles do grow and become bigger than the previous generation?

Pete Hines: Stated differently, I don’t know what the benefit would be to us for anything hardware-wise to fail. If it is a machine that plays games and plays the games that we make, then why wouldn’t we want it do well?
We are all for players having choice to play the console that they want that has the features that they want. It’s up to the consumer which one that is.

MCVUK: What does Wii U need to do to be more attractive to Bethesda?

Pete Hines: It’s a number of factors. The truth is, it’s not something that we are currently developing for. I don’t know whether that changes down the road or not. It depends on the games that we are making and
how we think it aligns with that console, and how the hardware aligns with the other stuff we are making. We will see.
Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/beth...n-wolfenstein-and-the-next-generation/0118657

EhoaVash

this is something that's already known
edit:
bethesda support Nintendo? lol since when
tbh as a nintendo fan, their games don't really interest me. The only game that does is the Shinji Mikami game being published by them, The Evil Within

Y3N6LKa.jpg

let's get it out of the way. :p

- - -

How's Nintendo-Bethesda relationship anyway?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wouldn't it be quicker to just make threads when a developer *is* working on the WiiU?

Cause then there'd be no threads.

At all.

beast786

What can nintendo do to change this ?

Unbelievable. The only platform hardware pure gaming company cant get 3rd party on board. What the hell.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
What can nintendo do to change this ?

make an absolute masterpiece console exclusive, i mean a game so good, so life changing, you would pay 400 dollars for it.

besides that, it's a chicken and egg problem: no base, no games, no games, no base.

Busty

Banned
Somewhere a Nintendo fan is reading this article/thread and is genuinely surprised and gutted.

Which, if you think about it, is surprising in itself given the situation.

Oppo

When was the last time Bethesda made a Nintendo game anyway??

I think they published a tiny handful of 3DS games.

They have literally shown more support for the Amiga back in the day, lol.

shinobi602 said:
Playing Fallout with the pipboy on the gamepad could've been pretty shweet.
Collectors Edition of Fallout 4 for PS4 will come with a wrist sleeve for a Vita.

Ninjimbo

Besides Elder Scrolls, what else do they have? Rage bombed. Dishonored got a lukewarm reception. Prey is in flux. Nobody is going to buy Evil Within. Quake 4 sounds like a disaster.

Although Nintendo is in no position to turn down support, Zenimax/Bethesda aren't crucial like EA or Activision, at least in my eyes.

I-hate-u

They only published Wheelspin in Europe for Wii.

But yeah, this was known since forever. Not that I expected anything from Bethesda on Nintendo systems.

Alright so if they were never making full fledged games on Nintendo consoles regardless, why are people making a big deal out of this? Its not like gamers will buy a Wii U to play Skyrim or Fallout.

The only software that sells on Nintendo hardware are the first party stuff and casual third party games.

Orayn

Unfortunate but unsurprising. Between the power gap and bad hardware sales, it's not at all hard to understand why third parties are skipping the Wii U.

Oh well. At least I accepted that it was mostly just a $300 box for first party Nintendo games (and Monster Hunter) when I got mine.

Besides Elder Scrolls, what else do they have? Rage bombed. Dishonored got a lukewarm reception. Prey is in flux. Nobody is going to buy Evil Within. Quake 4 sounds like a disaster.

Although Nintendo is in no position to turn down support, Zenimax/Bethesda aren't crucial like EA or Activision, at least in my eyes.

Fallout

That's a shame considering both The Elder Scrolls and Fallout would benefit massively both from the Gamepad and Miiverse.

You gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.

impact

Banned
Bethesda's actual games aren't a huge loss but it sucks that Wii U owners won't be able to play The Evil Within. Either way I wouldn't be surprised if every publisher said the same thing with how pathetic software sells on the system. Better buy up all those Ubi games guys.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
this was super obvious since we got nothing for Wii U on their multiplatforms games, I even think they didn't though or even bother to update or make id-tech 5 run on Wii U because they were saying they are uninteresting in it since before the release.

This has bugged me for a while, but why is that picture of the system on the INSIDE looking OUT? I mean yes, the Wii-U logo is the wrong way for that but the fade on the left side of the image can't be from anything else.

I think it mean that Wii U can't go outside and play with the other kids/systems under the rain?

Bethesda's actual games aren't a huge loss but it sucks that Wii U owners won't be able to play The Evil Within. Either way I wouldn't be surprised if every publisher said the same thing with how pathetic software sells on the system. Better buy up all those Ubi games guys.

Not only Bethesda Game Studio or Mikami/Tango games the Wii U Owners are losing here, they are losing on Arkane (Dishonored), id(Doom), MachineGames (Riddick and Darkness ex-developers), there are a lot of good developers and ips here, yes I'd say it's a big loss for Wii U.

Look, I'm no Bethesda/Zenimax lover but your statement is a little ignorant. First of all Bethesda does make games people like. Personally I like the Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dishonored, Rage, and I'm really excited for Shinji Mikami's new game.

Second of all look at the bigger picture, Nintendo's 3rd party software selection has been weak since the N64. But it's always had some support from major western publishers. Not developers, but publishers. When publishers start turning their back on a console it's really bad news.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
This is kind of unfortunate, I was hoping one of the benefits of Wii U would be that they'd get a lot more 3rd party support since they were on par with the other HD consoles. I still feel like things will pick up in a major way once stuff like MK8, Smash, and Mario are released.

Squire

Banned

While you can, anyway. Just saw the AC4 CE is skipping Wii U. After Guillemot's ZombiU comments that relationship is a ticking time bomb.

I-hate-u

Look, I'm no Bethesda/Zenimax lover but your statement is a little ignorant. First of all Bethesda does make games people like. Personally I like the Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dishonored, Rage, and I'm really excited for Shinji Mikami's new game.

Second of all look at the bigger picture, Nintendo's 3rd party software selection has been weak since the N64. But it's always had some support from major western publishers. Not developers, but publishers. When publishers start turning their back on a console it's really bad news.

The presence of EA/Activision or even Ubi is much more important than Bethesda. People will buy the Fifas, the Cods and the Just Dance games but I cannot imagine someone buying a 60 hour western RPG on their Wii U. Anyone who enjoys Bethesda game probably already owns systems that can play their games.

Same goes for games like Bioshock, Dues Ex, Borderlands, Mass Effect etc etc. I don't see them selling on a Nintendo console.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
While you can, anyway. Just saw the AC4 CE is skipping Wii U. After Guillemot's ZombiU comments that relationship is a ticking time bomb.

from that other thread about Zombie U I feel that Ubi situation is up to what will happen in this holiday season,if the sale numbers are low I think they'll just jump out like EA.

Squire

Banned
The presence of EA/Activision or even Ubi is much more important than Bethesda. People will buy the Fifas, the Cods and the Just Dance games but I cannot imagine someone buying a 60 hour western RPG on their Wii U. Anyone who enjoys Bethesda game probably already owns systems that can play their games.

Same goes for games like Bioshock, Dues Ex, Borderlands, Mass Effect etc etc. I don't see them selling on a Nintendo console.

Publishers can't imagine anyone buying anything (but Nintendo games) on Wii U, or buying a Wii U at all.

That's bad. Nintendo should be actively, aggressively seeking to change that. All the franchises you mentioned would be a great start.

from that other thread about Zombie U I feel that Ubi situation is up to what will happen in this holiday season,if the sale numbers are low I think they'll just jump out like EA.

Exactly. This will inevitably be the last year they supply the system with core games.

Top Bottom