• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best gaming headphones under $100.

I recently bought the Fidelio X2 and Astro mix amp, but decided to return them, because I just can't seem to justify spending $400 on them. While they sound good, they just seem to expensive for what they provide me.

So now I'm looking for another pair of headphones under $100, something that can be paired with an attachable mic.

These will almost be used exclusivity on PS4/Xbox One. And I'm trying to avoid getting an amp. I just want to be able to plug these into the controller.

Any recommendations? Thanks again.

jryeje29

The Kingston hyper x cloud are the best all in one solution but the ad900x from audio Technica are amazing for gaming if you have a mic attachment like a mod mic the problem is I don't know if a controller is strong enough to fully power them since I use my PC with a fiio e10

gngf123

The Hyper X Clouds are basically a Takstar Pro 80 with a mic. They are okay for the money, but only seem great because they are one of the very few gaming headsets which aren't a complete rip off.

If you compare them to buying a good headphone + a mic the value is about normal, but gaming communities like GAF are used to gaming headset pricing/quality.

Any recommendations for headphones with a detachable mic? Something I could use out and about for music as well as a gaming headset.

Philips SHP9500's + a detachable mic if you can use open back headphones. You won't miss the X2's with that purchase for gaming. Sennheiser HD598Cs if you need some closed for around $100.

jryeje29

Übermatik;231473675 said:
Any recommendations for headphones with a detachable mic? Something I could use out and about for music as well as a gaming headset.

Once again cloud 2s the value is just so good compared to most of the crap on the market, it really is the all in one solution if you don't want a separate headset and modmic

hoserx

Philips SHP9500's + a detachable mic if you can use open back headphones. You won't miss the X2's with that purchase for gaming. Sennheiser HD598Cs if you need some closed for around $100.

Yeah, these are great gaming headphones. I also suggest Sennheiser Hd 558. Those SHP 9500s are a real treat for the price though.

Following up on the hyperx cloud suggestions. I have a couple questions.

Do the volume controls work on both the cloud and cloud 2? Or can you only adjust by the PS4 system settings? This is all while plugged into the controller.

Also can you mute the mic while it's plugged into controller?

Thanks.

H E A D P H O N E S

Not a headset, people.

If you enjoyed the X2s then the SHP9500 may be your best bet. Open back with a detachable cable that allows the use of Vmoda's BoomPro mic

Hydrus

Since were talking about headphones, Does Wii U work with USB audio/ headphones? I have an external DAC I wanted to use while playing Zelda.

H E A D P H O N E S

Not a headset, people.

If you enjoyed the X2s then the SHP9500 may be your best bet. Open back with a detachable cable that allows the use of Vmoda's BoomPro mic

Thanks for the suggestion, this sounds like exactly what I want. If only the vmoda was in stock on amazon. Know another good place to purchase this?

Thanks for the suggestion, this sounds like exactly what I want. If only the vmoda was in stock on amazon. Know another good place to purchase this?

B&H Photo?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1038778-REG/v_moda_c_bp_black_boom_pro_microphone_cable.html

I believe I ordered a TV from them a few years ago and I don't recall any issues. You may want to do a google search just to be sure, if you decide to pull the trigger.

This is where I purchased mine, but they're out of stock as well :/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-VoIP-Headset-Mic-Black-/361737543912

The Cloud II's are fine without an amp, I can just plug them into the controller and be satisfied?
It works without the amp as it uses the standard 3.5mm jack. Yes, the audio quality is great even without the amp.

Also, couldn't I just get the hyperx cloud I's? Since the USB 7.1 doesn't appear to work with PS4.
I'm almost sure the 7.1 works if you turn on the PS4 with the Cloud II attached via its amp, but when you click on it again it won't work anymore unless you reboot your console.

The 7.1 is nothing to write homr about anyway.

Following up on the hyperx cloud suggestions. I have a couple questions.

Do the volume controls work on both the cloud and cloud 2? Or can you only adjust by the PS4 system settings? This is all while plugged into the controller.

Also can you mute the mic while it's plugged into controller?

Thanks.
Cloud II's amp has volume and mic controls. When it's plugged to the controller I'd hazard a guess that since you're not connected with the amp, you lose its controls so you have to mute using the console instead.

I would advise you try out a Cloud II first before you buy because my mic sounds full of static, but that's because the grounding on my place is pretty bad.

I don't play online so the mic for me wasn't that huge of a deal, I love my Cloud II. Maybe someone else who owns one can comment about the mic, since I'd hate for you to skip this one out because of my post.

Arulan

Don't buy a headset.

You could have used the X2s without an amp. Well, on most devices yes, I'm not absolutely certain what wireless console controllers put out for power.

The SHP9500s are a good recommendation. The HD 598s sometimes go on sale for ~$100, and are an excellent choice too.

Renekton

This is a good answer. I absolutely love my pair and you get major sound from these. I am still legit impressed even after owning a pair for like a year now.
It sounds more "neutral" or flatter compared to its M50X big brother. Great for music but I'm not sure about gaming.

This is a good answer. I absolutely love my pair and you get major sound from these. I am still legit impressed even after owning a pair for like a year now.

I own both m40x & 598s & I gotta say as much as I love both of them, I just can't keep my m40x more than a couple hours cuz my ears will start hurting as they stay too tight on my ears (maybe because of my eyeglasses) but when it comes to 598s i can keep them on all day and Sometimes I don't even realize I still have them on. Also when it comes to gaming, soundstage feels more natural and detailed than m40x's closed soundstage.
I'm thinking about buying the closed back model of 598s when they go on sale again for holidays on amazon.

B&H Photo?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1038778-REG/v_moda_c_bp_black_boom_pro_microphone_cable.html

I believe I ordered a TV from them a few years ago and I don't recall any issues. You may want to do a google search just to be sure, if you decide to pull the trigger.

This is where I purchased mine, but they're out of stock as well :/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-VoIP-Headset-Mic-Black-/361737543912

Coo. Watched some reviews, Def going with this combo. Rave reviews from all the top guys. Thanks for the great suggestion.

Madness

HD598CS or HyperX Clouds.

edit: Both work fine as headsets

The 598Cs' $99 Amazon offer seems to be over 😐

My man. I picked them up during Black Friday for under $99 and use them when I game now. The sound quality and things I hear completely shit on the regular Xbox One stereo headset I was using. Crazy quality, though some say the open versions are better for gaming at home, but the utility of the Cs is that you can use them at work or on transit without everyone hearing what you're listening to.

DKF590

The SHP9500S are a great choice as others have said. Detachable cable means it's easy to figure out a solution for the mic too. I think I might actually prefer them for gaming over the Fidelio X2 to be honest. The X2 are definitely overall better headphones but I prefer the less bassy signature of the SHP9500s.

Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

From what I've heard these are the same as the 598, only difference is this piece of foam inside them. I love mine, I went from Astro A40s to these and the 558's blow them away.

I tried the 598cs and M50x. Neither one seemed all that great plugged into headphone. Once I plugged into my denon AVR, it was so much better with more bass and power.

From what I've heard these are the same as the 598, only difference is this piece of foam inside them. I love mine, I went from Astro A40s to these and the 558's blow them away.

Don't forget the headband material is different. Foam can be removed though, which is awesome

So got the Logitech G533 on sale for $99 on best buy and I must say I'm impressed. Great positional DTS 7.1 audio that isn't gimmicky and really works. Their app offers tons of customization, eq etc. Really impressed, was able to correctly position enemies on rainbow six siege. Bare in mind I was using a sound blaster z with 5.1 speakers before and these beat them. For $99 they're great. I wouldn't pay the $150 they normally go for though. These are better than the hyper x 2.

anddo0

My $100 or under picks for PS4/XB1.

Sennheiser GSP 300
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KV3BB0S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Audio Technica ATH-AD700X
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009S332TQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

HyperX Cloud Stinger (these are crazy good for the price. Great for FPS)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L2ZRYVE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

HyperX Cloud II , Philips SHP9500 as already mentioned.

So got the Logitech G533 on sale for $99 on best buy and I must say I'm impressed. Great positional DTS 7.1 audio that isn't gimmicky and really works. Their app offers tons of customization, eq etc. Really impressed, was able to correctly position enemies on rainbow six siege. Bare in mind I was using a sound blaster z with 5.1 speakers before and these beat them. For $99 they're great. I wouldn't pay the $150 they normally go for though. These are better than the hyper x 2.

They're great. Only problem is these are PC only.

JBwB

Yeah these are pretty damn amazing.

If you don't mind open cans they're definitely one of if not the very best headphones you can get at it's price point.

My $100 or under picks for PS4/XB1.

Sennheiser GSP 300
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KV3BB0S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Audio Technica ATH-AD700X
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009S332TQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

HyperX Cloud Stinger (these are crazy good for the price. Great for FPS)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L2ZRYVE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

HyperX Cloud II , Philips SHP9500 as already mentioned.

They're great. Only problem is these are PC only.

People with reviews on Amazon and bestbuy state plugging them into the PS4 does recognize them as wireless headset and they work too, unnoficially.

Top Bottom