• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish my Xbox One could actually run Just Cause 3

MauroNL

So first off I'd like to say that I usually don't like it when someone makes a complain thread but this time I really feel the need to blow off some steam. I bought Just Cause 3 for Xbox One a few weeks ago but it only arrived like three days ago. I knew reading the Digital Foundry and some of the reviews that the framerate could be an issue. Usually I can get past all these graphics problems that most games seem to have nowadays like framedrops and crappy shadows and AA problems and what not, and I really don't mind when a game is either 900p or 1080p or 30fps or 60fps (Obviously I'd like everything at 1080p and 60fps but I can enjoy a game regardless)

However, having played several hours of Just Cause 3 on Xbox One it is really starting to bug me. I really like the game; I mean blowing up shit with helicopters and jets what more can a guy want?! But seriously the framerate is all over the place. For a game with the main objective being blowing up as much shit up as possible it really is a game breaker for me. It looks and feels like the game never really hits its intended 30fps mark and every time you try to traverse the map or even blow up a few red cans the framerate tanks to what feels like single digits. I've made a few gameclips on Xbox DVR to illustrate what I mean.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mauro NL/video/13243031
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mauro NL/video/13242116
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mauro NL/video/13237357

I mean, I get that the entire world is accessible without loading and there are a lot of physics going on but is there no quality check what so ever nowadays? You can't ship a game like this IMO. This framerate makes it unplayable and its really hard to even control and aim these helicoptes and tanks when all the shit is hitting the fan. To make matters worse the game crashed on me 4 times in less then 6-7 hours of playtime, just straight up froze with the sound buzzing really loudly. And every now and then the game just pauzes to let you know the connection is lost with the servers, but retrying just continues the game. All this stuff is making it really hard to keep playing the game that I really love.

Its been two weeks now since release and there is still no news about a patch, other then Avalanche saying "we are aware of some of the issues and looking into it." Sorry for the long rant, I'm done now.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It really sucks because Just Cause 2 looked fantastic on PS3/360 and was a lot of fun. Avalanche lost the plot a bit, I think.

Aces&Eights

Agree with OP. Ambitious? Great, be ambitious and make the game you always dreamed about making but if you can't get it to run on the hardware then lower your damn ambition.

Ragona

Didnt even pick the game up because of framerate reports. Im kinda sick of publishers/developers willingness to sacrifice quality standards for the quick buck.
And i still think or hope it will hurt them in the long term.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Didnt even pick the game up because of framerate reports. Im kinda sick of publishers/developers willingness to sacrifice quality standards for the quick buck.
And i still think or hope it will hurt them in the long term.

Fallout wants to shake your hand.

EthanC

Banned
I love JC2. I want to love this game. But my PS4 isn't allowing it. Stupidly long load times combined with awful performance add up to "Why the fuck did I pre-order this digitally?!"

I swore after Little Big Planet 3 that I'd never pre-order another game digitally, but I went and did it. And I screwed myself again.

It's a downright unacceptable port. Frankly, Avalanche should've delayed into January to ensure the console experience was acceptable - and the fact they didn't is hugely dissapointing.

It makes the game a downright misery to play. The framerate is bad, but that's not the worst part. It's the load times that pop up every time you need to restart a mission, or die and go back into the open world. It rips you out of the experience, and just kills the whole game.

I adored Just Cause 2, and I could see 3 being fun if it ran in even a decent manner.

As is, this is a shameful release. Avalanche owes me a refund.

EthanC

Banned
Is the PS4 version any better? I kind of want it but hearing about the framerate makes me anxious.

No. It's terrible. It kills me to say it. It's just terrible. It makes you wonder about the amount of pride the people making the game actually have. To release it in such a state is just unforgivable.

neurophd

I am wondering if I would be better off playing the backwards compatible Just Cause 2 to get my fix and skip the third iteration. Is JC3 enough of an upgrade to make up for these performance complaints?

Triple A games ran sometimes like shit too last generation, this isn't something new. We are just more vocal about it.

Really? Seems like we've had way more this gen.

If so, I'd say our tastes are probably more refined now versus being more vocal about it. The jump from last gen to this gen wasn't that impressive graphically, so I think gamers look to performance for that "next-gen feel" instead of more polygons as was the case in the past.

Tagyhag

I think that they shipped it too quickly in order to reach the holiday season. I'm sure they'll work on stability issues but yes this isn't anything new and we should not be allowing this.

Flarin

Is the PS4 version any better? I kind of want it but hearing about the framerate makes me anxious.

Nah. Loading times are insane and frame rate drops when there's lots of explosions on the screen (aka all the time). The game is so much fun, it's just a shame that technical problems are holding it back.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yep this is worse than anything in AC Unity and yet no one really made a big deal about it. Not even Digital Foundry. I remember watching NX Gamer's videos and saw this slow motion explosions and wondered why even he recommended the game?

We need to be a bit more critical about games like this. I am playing Tomb Raider and it runs great until you get into combat situations where it starts to crawl. How comes no one mentioned this in the reviews? I wouldnt say its unplayable but its very close.

MauroNL

Could it be Square Enix pushing them to launch it now because Square has no other releases this holiday season because Hitman was delayed? Or is that too far fetched?

Yep this is worse than anything in AC Unity and yet no one really made a big deal about it. Not even Digital Foundry. I remember watching NX Gamer's videos and saw this slow motion explosions and wondered why even he recommended the game?

We need to be a bit more critical about games like this. I am playing Tomb Raider and it runs great until you get into combat situations where it starts to crawl. How comes no one mentioned this in the reviews? I wouldnt say its unplayable but its very close.

AC Unity ran at a shit framerate constantly not just when a lot of things were going on. Doesn't excuse this game though it seems it runs terrible.

I have it sealed, got it with the buy 2 get 1 free at Best Buy, don't know if I'll keep it though.

RdN

As far as I know the PS4 has the same issues with bad framerating.

Seems more a question of a poorly developed game than an issue with the console itself.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Sony and MS should have a standard for the generation and fail cert for all games that run like shit.

Konomori

Neo Member
Big Games always run badly on Console that was always the case. I mean FF7 runs at somewhere around 20fps on PS1 or San Andreas on PS2 at low 20 most time. It's not something new with current gen and the general Mainstream does not care about it. Just that now stuff like Digital Foundry highlights it.

Banned
The platform holders don't have quality control teams. They just want the royalties from the games sold. They could care less.

You didn't notice the immense slowdown?

Slowdown, yes. Single digit frame rate? Not even close.

It just looks like dramatic slow-mo to me which I'm fine with (even if not intentional) , not jerky game breaking frame dropping.

I haven't played the game though so it might not feel how it looks...

Because broken games aren't released on PC.

PC games aren't usually grouped into "generations"

and this game wouldn't be considered broken if MS or Sony had some kind of performance certifications for their consoles and made the dev dial back the settings until an acceptable framerate was achieved.

Serious question:

Would MS/Sony get more or less respect if they said "Look, this game cannot be run on our infrastructure in a pleasurable manner." and then delayed it, i dunno, another several months?

I'm having fun despite the performance issues. The load time is horrendous though. It's almost long enough to spend quality time with my kids and nobody wants that.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Because broken games aren't released on PC.

Those videos in the OP look worse than arkham knight day 1 on PC.

Serious question:

Would MS/Sony get more or less respect if they said "Look, this game cannot be run on our infrastructure in a pleasurable manner." and then delayed it, i dunno, another several months?

It won't happen because it's in everybody's best interest to get games out before the holiday shopping season.

In reality the people who care about and notice this stuff are a small fraction of people who buy games.

dan2026

New from Neogaf.

Terrible framerate is now a feature.
What will those wacky guys cone up with next?

Serious question:

They should make it so games with terrible technical issues dont get though certification,

Top Bottom