• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just have zero confidence from Xbox or PlayStation at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystech

The gaming industry is going through a much needed shift. It's been coming for a long time now. The Switch 2 may end up being the king of this 9th generation. Sony is getting cocky like they were in the PS3 days and Microsoft is making desperate moves to get themselves out of 3rd place while simultaneously trying to play the long game of turning the Xbox from a console into a live service.

It's odd to think that PS5 and Series X are getting into the later half of their life. It seems like neither system has brought a true generation defining game. Most of the best games on current generation systems can be played just fine on PS4. AAA, game budgets are out of control and the push for every game to be open world cinematic games is backfiring big time. It's not sustainable and they know it.

If you think things are weird now... just wait until the PS6 and Next Xbox.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont understand why some games cost what they do. Like Spiderman 2 with its 300mil budget, why does the budget have to be so high when they already have the game world already made. I mean i know thye touched it up a bit but still most of your game world is already there and ready.
Spiderman 2 budget is inflated. There is no way that game cost that much when we know it only went into full production after ratchet released in mid 2021. Not to mention they had around 30% of the studio working on wolverine the whole time. And only had around 5% of the studio working on it while they made ratchet and Miles.

Insomniac is probably running a money laundering scheme or something. Their budgets are out of control. They had Miles at $156 million. DLCs that literally reuse the same map dont cost $150 million.

Sony is inflating numbers left and right likely for tax purposes. My software development company gets tax breaks based on the R&D work that we do. If we can call something an investment, we can claim that as a deductible. They are probably doing something like that. Sony said Horizon 2 cost $200 million, but just a few months before that a Dutch state documentary said it cost $111 million euros. Which is basically $115 million dollars. Very specific number they likely got from either the studio or the govt which gave it tax breaks since it was the most expensive dutch production ever. That's how much most of these games cost. $100 million.

The $500 million+ games are your rockstar games that have all 3000 devs working on one game for 5-7 years. These smaller studios with 200-500 devs churning out games every 3-4 years dont cost $200 million.

Deerock71

I welcome Steam overlord.
Nintendo:
Real Life Nintendo GIF by Leroy Patterson

Darsxx82

I believe that the fault is not Sony or MS, Xbox or PS..... The feeling comes from the path that the industry is following, which has changed radically compared to what the older people here live.

-Developments of 6 years on average. Before, every 2 years you had new games or IPs from the same Studio.

-5x higher development costs. A project that doesn't work is usually the demise of the Studio.

-Need to reach the maximum number of users to amortize.

-(For me the key reason). The new generations of users have different tastes and everything is directed towards online gaming and Gass.

That is, MS and Sony are being forced to adapt.

Yeah, I’m definitely skeptical of the future for both Sony and Microsoft as well. Rising development costs, GREED, less talent, longer development cycles, multiplatform, being more risk averse, live service obsession, layoffs, huge digital/cloud push, etc. They say console sales are stagnant, so I don’t see how putting games on PC will help their console sales. I truly think that’s what killed XBOX console console numbers.

As a matter of fact, I think console sales could decline even more if PlayStation exclusives release day one because you are essentially eliminating the main reason to procure a PS5. It didn’t work out for Microsoft, so I'm not sure if it work for Sony.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Spiderman 2 budget is inflated. There is no way that game cost that much when we know it only went into full production after ratchet released in mid 2021. Not to mention they had around 30% of the studio working on wolverine the whole time. And only had around 5% of the studio working on it while they made ratchet and Miles.

Insomniac is probably running a money laundering scheme or something. Their budgets are out of control. They had Miles at $156 million. DLCs that literally reuse the same map dont cost $150 million.

Sony is inflating numbers left and right likely for tax purposes. My software development company gets tax breaks based on the R&D work that we do. If we can call something an investment, we can claim that as a deductible. They are probably doing something like that. Sony said Horizon 2 cost $200 million, but just a few months before that a Dutch state documentary said it cost $111 million euros. Which is basically $115 million dollars. Very specific number they likely got from either the studio or the govt which gave it tax breaks since it was the most expensive dutch production ever. That's how much most of these games cost. $100 million.

The $500 million+ games are your rockstar games that have all 3000 devs working on one game for 5-7 years. These smaller studios with 200-500 devs churning out games every 3-4 years dont cost $200 million.
They never specified whether or not marketing costs were included in those figures. They very likely were since you do see a bunch of marketing people in the credits and they also have a lot of internal staff who work in the marketing department. Forbidden West costing $115M to produce and another $100M to market bringing the total cost to $200-215M makes perfect sense.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Who is that PC gaming guy i keep hearing about ?

Don't tell me it's Valve we're talking about, they get money without doing anything and keep getting praised.
its the fact that PC gaming doesnt have any guy and that it's super open and you can do whatever you want with your machine. There is no "guy" that owns PC.

Roberts

I just closed my eyes and imagined a parallel universe where I don’t frequent gaming forums and read twitter. That other version of me is enjoying tons of games on his XSX and not thinking or worrying about any of this shit.

Stuart360

I just closed my eyes and imagined a parallel universe where I don’t frequent gaming forums and read twitter. That other version of me is enjoying tons of games on his XSX and not thinking or worrying about any of this shit.
Thankfully most gamers do that. Most of the masses probably dont even know anything about the past couple of weeks.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Bwahaha

“My green ship is going down so let’s throw shade at another”
Did you not see the Sony CEO having a meltdown yesterday? he's getting there. Just late because they started porting games in 2020 while Phil was doing it in 2016.

They are following the same exact formula as Phil Spencer.
We wont port everything to PC.
It will never be day one.
We are porting everything to PC.
Some stuff will be Day One.
Everything Needs to be Day one.
We are not profitable so we need to port more.

These idiots are cut from the same cloth. The old guard from Sony who believed in exclusives pushing consoles is gone. Yesterday's Sony CEO comments are proof of that. You and I went back and forth on this a lot over the years. Time has proven me right. I can promise you in 4 years, this will be Sony's podcast. history is repeating itself in front of our eyes. We would be blind not to notice the similarities.

Did you not see the Sony CEO having a meltdown yesterday? he's getting there. Just late because they started porting games in 2020 while Phil was doing it in 2016.

These idiots are cut from the same cloth. The old guard from Sony who believed in exclusives pushing consoles is gone. Yesterday's Sony CEO comments are proof of that. You and I went back and forth on this a lot over the years. Time has proven me right. I can promise you in 4 years, this will be Sony's podcast. history is repeating itself in front of our eyes. We would be blind not to notice the similarities.

We’re many years into Sony’s PC gaming strategy and not a lot has changed.

No day and date. Not every game. I’ll believe it when I see it

Xbox moved a lot quicker to PC

Unknown?

There’s like 50+ topics, and I didn’t know where to post my position on the current state of gaming.

Xbox is bleeding money. Sure, thanks to Papa Microsoft, they can probably bleed for quite a while longer. I just feel like the higher ups aren’t managing the studios well. There are games finally coming, but look how long it took.

Then you have Sony making ridiculous deals that came to light after the insomniac leak, lower than expected profits and their higher ups talking about multi-platform yada yada yada and that there’s no new first party single player games coming out for a year or whatever.

I just feel like these two companies are being ran/driven into the ground. It’s like they’re both trying to make deals for how they they think will keep/get to #1, that they don’t care about the repercussions later. MS acquires ABK, not caring what it will do to profits. Sony securing Spider-Man and getting those bundles out there, not caring about profits.

My faith in both companies is at an all time low. Obviously much lower for Xbox.

PC gaming really has it right.

Steam and Nintendo are the only two that still look great in 2024.
PC only has it right on Linux.

Metnut

I’m happy I have PS5 rather than all-in on PC. Will be enjoying Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, and FF7 Rebirth this year.

SlimySnake

We’re many years into Sony’s PC gaming strategy and not a lot has changed.

No day and date. Not every game. I’ll believe it when I see it

Xbox moved a lot quicker to PC
Helldivers literally came out on PC day and date last week.

More games will come now that Sony has seen a 50-50 split between console and PC sales. Sony CEO literally told you its going to happen.

Doom85

Xbox - “We’re putting some of our games on our console competitors.”
Playstation - “We’re putting some of our games on PC.”

How the hell do you hear that and go, “it’s the same picture”?

Wake me up when Playstation exclusives start showing up on Nintendo and Xbox. Because otherwise, this is a nothingburger you‘re desperately trying to serve us.

Sony’s higher-ups know plenty of PC owners have a stick up their ass about buying consoles and won’t ever buy them. THAT’s why they’re doing this.

Meanwhile Xbox is realizing their console sales are inferior to their console competitors and are trying to increase software sales with this move of porting their exclusives to the other consoles.

It‘s not the same thing. You don’t have to like it, but to act like they’re equivalent is some straight up bullshit.

StueyDuck

There’s like 50+ topics, and I didn’t know where to post my position on the current state of gaming.

Xbox is bleeding money. Sure, thanks to Papa Microsoft, they can probably bleed for quite a while longer. I just feel like the higher ups aren’t managing the studios well. There are games finally coming, but look how long it took.

Then you have Sony making ridiculous deals that came to light after the insomniac leak, lower than expected profits and their higher ups talking about multi-platform yada yada yada and that there’s no new first party single player games coming out for a year or whatever.

I just feel like these two companies are being ran/driven into the ground. It’s like they’re both trying to make deals for how they they think will keep/get to #1, that they don’t care about the repercussions later. MS acquires ABK, not caring what it will do to profits. Sony securing Spider-Man and getting those bundles out there, not caring about profits.

My faith in both companies is at an all time low. Obviously much lower for Xbox.

PC gaming really has it right.

Steam and Nintendo are the only two that still look great in 2024.
The overall problem is that the industry has mostly lost its passion especially in the big publishing spaces.

Somehow we get a fucking ds2 where it's clear that is a game made with love and passion and intent.

No longer do we have studios made up of close friends trying to make the most enjoyable fun thing possible.

Gaiff

You literally have this backwards. Putting games on PC was a REACTION to Microsoft's failing business with the Xbox One. It didn't precipitate its downfall, it was to slow it down by looking at growth opportunities. Likewise, Playstation is looking to expand and grow because those AAA games cost too much and take too long to develop. Helldivers 2 took 8 years to develop, that's insane.

The Xbox brand started going downhill way back in 2011 when Microsoft shifted its focus on the Kinect that was a fad they hoped would carry over to the X1 but it failed miserably. This was years before a single PC port had seen the light of day. I don't see why you keep blaming them porting their games to PC as a reason for their woes when the reason they both did that was as a strategic response to business concerns.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
They are both fucked and its all due to their own greed. They thought they could put their games on PC to make some short term profit and not impact their long term console sales, and time has proven they were both wrong. Xbox just got there a gen early because they started porting their games in 2016, but Sony will get there by mid next gen. And thats when you will see a similar podcast from Sony studios talking about how the industry is not growing and they need to put their games on nintendo.

Meanwhile Nintendo is bigger than ever because they said fuck you to PC and went closed platform.

Nintendo doesn’t make 300M dollar games that need to sell 7M to break even like Sony. Only makes sense to squeeze every penny you can out of a modern AAA. There is a huge number of PC gamers who have no interest in buying consoles but will buy the software if it’s good.

Xbox Series flopped because MS has barely any compelling games. Only MS games I have really enjoyed this gen were AOE4 and Forza Horizon 5. Only Sony game I really enjoyed was Returnal. If none of those came to PC I could’ve done without them just fine and not felt the need to buy a console for them. I’m done with Sony and Ms consoles. Switch library of exclusives easily clears both of them combined and they didn’t 300M games to do it.

Killjoy-NL

#SonyToo (brought to you by: Copium)

Quite some mental gymnastics going around.
No wonder Xbox did a controlled podcast.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Nintendo doesn’t make 300M dollar games that need to sell 7M to break even like Sony. Only makes sense to squeeze every penny you can out of a modern AAA. There is a huge number of PC gamers who have no interest in buying consoles but will buy the software if it’s good.

Xbox Series flopped because MS has barely any compelling games. Only MS games I have really enjoyed this gen were AOE4 and Forza Horizon 5. Only Sony game I really enjoyed was Returnal. If none of those came to PC I could’ve done without them just fine and not felt the need to buy a console for them. I’m done with Sony and Ms consoles. Switch library of exclusives easily clears both of them combined and they didn’t 300M games to do it.
Exactly my thoughts. Spider-Man 2 is the fastest-selling Sony exclusive ever and 1st-party Sony games are selling more than ever before, yet SlimySnake SlimySnake is here questioning Sony's commitment to them. Conversely, those games also cost a fortune to produce and take in some cases an entire console generation to come out. Of course, Sony wants other ways to make money off those eye-popping investments.

If their games cost $10-50M to make, they probably wouldn't even be considering PC ports because their profit margins would be more than enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom