• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata PC Release Date Confusion By Square Enix

http://www.pcgamer.com/nier-automata-has-a-new-trailer-and-a-possible-release-date/?utm_content=bufferbc790&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Update 2: The Square Enix rep who confirmed the PC release date would fall on the same day as the PS4 version in the West was unfortunately misinformed: officially, there's not yet a release date for Nier: Automata on PC, though it's definitely coming some time next year.

Update: a Square Enix rep has confirmed that the PC release date will be the same as the PS4 date in the west – March 7 in North America and March 10 in Europe and Australia.

Original story

Nier: Automata is the sequel to one of the last decade's weirdest cult RPGs. Unlike that first instalment though, this one is actually releasing on PC. During the PlayStation Experience event at the weekend the PS4 release date for both Europe and North America was confirmed as March 7, though whether that applies to the PC edition is yet to be seen.

We already seen a PR mishap with Digimon World: Next Order and it coming then not coming to the vita. Here we are with Square unable to confirm a release date for the PC version of Nier Automata

Lingitiz

SE should be communicating this more clearly, but PC Gamer often has a lot of inaccurate reporting. It sounded suspect from the moment they reported it.

Ibuki

Banned
This is ridiculous.

Taro saying to ask Square Enix about the PC release date instead of him was pretty telling.

jonno394

I'll buy whichever comes first. I'll double dip later for the pc version if there is a delay, which seems apparent.

LordKano

Confusion and Square Enix are definitely two (three ?) words I'm not expected to see together
who am I kidding

sprinkles

I was about to get weak and buy the PS4 version of FFXV now instead of waiting for the inevitable PC port. But this treatment of their fanbase on PC is just the worst, so SE lost me double dipping on FFXV - instead I will just wait until both PC versions of Nier and FFXV are heavily discounted.

NeoRaider

I am 99% sure that they have some kind of deal with Sony that they made recently (pre-orders for PS4 version are available for few days now), and that's why they don't want to talk about it and confirm anything.
So they want to sell those pre-orders or game is coming to PC few months after the PS4 version.

But no matter what, this is really not ok.

Edit: Similar thing is happening with Dead Staranding! Let's not forget Sony deleting interview with Kojima from their blog where he is talking about the game being released on PC too.

BadWolf

I was about to get weak and buy the PS4 version of FFXV now instead of waiting for the inevitable PC port. But this treatment of their fanbase on PC is just the worst, so SE lost me double dipping on FFXV - instead I will just wait until both PC versions of Nier and FFXV are heavily discounted.

Not trying to mess with your resolve or anything but man, FFXV is so damn good.

I am 99% sure that they have some kind of deal with Sony that they made recently (pre-orders for PS4 version are available for few days now), and that's why they don't want to talk about it and confirm anything.
So they want to sell those pre-orders or game is coming to PC few months after the PS4 version.

But no matter what, this is really not ok.

Edit: Similar thing is happening with Dead Staranding! Let's not forget Sony deleting interview with Kojima from their blog where he is talking about game being released on PC too.
Receipts?

I'm with you 100%, and I wish more people had this kind of resolve.

Not trying to mess with your resolve or anything but man, FFXV is so damn good.

That frame pacing though.

J-Skee

Remember that one time when Final Fantasy Type-0 HD was announced as coming to the Vita? Such a fun day.

Durante

A misinformed PR guy made it confusing, the first PR
mail made it clear, that the PS4 version would launch first.
No, the first thing S-E did when announcing Nier for PC was putting out an official announcement video with an "early 2017" date.

S-E either have absolutely no idea what they are doing, or made some silly last-minute deal.

Personally, I think it's a S-E Japan fuckup, and both Platinum and other S-E branches were taken by surprise.

NeoRaider

Receipts?

Update: A Kojima Productions Q&A posted by PlayStation's EU Community Manager has confirmed that Kojima's new project will be coming to PC, but only after a stint on PS4. The length of the exclusivity period was not coughed up.

Update 2: The Q&A and the Tweet linking to it have since been deleted—I have a suspicion that Sony may have preferred all eyes on PlayStation.

We don’t know if or when it’s coming to PC, but back in December when Kojima Productions opened house, a Q&A went up for a bit that said it would only be a timed PS4 exclusive to appear on PC at a later date. That Q&A went down shortly after, but we’re not giving up hope yet.

http://www.pcgamer.com/kojima-productions-opens-its-doors/
http://www.pcgamer.com/kojima-productions-announces-death-stranding-starring-norman-reedus-dead-whales/

Nzyme32

No, the first thing S-E did when announcing Nier for PC was putting out an official announcement video with an "early 2017" date.

S-E either have absolutely no idea what they are doing, or made some silly last-minute deal.

Personally, I think it's a S-E Japan fuckup, and both Platinum and other S-E branches were taken by surprise.

I figure the latter since Taro was quite open about up till just recently where he says to ask square - but that could also mean the former.

Corpekata

Banned
Going after that lucrative double dipping of sequels to niche games that didn't even appear on the platform market I see.

Honestly I doubt there is any formal exclusivity deal. Square Enix's PC plans just seem totally random (along with the company's plans in general lol). Where the hell is FFXV PC?

BadWolf

Eh, things change in development, especially when it was that early. As much as I want it to come to PC, all the odds are stacked against it.

And just recently we found out that Kojima will be using Guerrilla Games' engine for the game, and that's in addition to the Sony funding/support we were aware of previously.

So yeah, it wouldn't be surprising if it turned into an actual exclusive.

Top Bottom