• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2016 (Oct 10 - Oct 16)

Noticeably Weaker, Still Strong (Install base issues)

*Mario (Platformers/Kart)
*Zelda
*Kirby
*Style Savvy
*Rhythm Heaven

,,Install base issues". You know, these are flagship franchises, so they are supposed to create the install base. In particular Mario has been far from strong, since as their biggest IP it completely failed to properly sell consoles. WiiU Mario games other than Kart all failed to outsell even Sunshine because they have become super bland games, which probably all look the same to non-enthusiast gamers since NSMBU. Equally, as already pointed out by another poster, that's why Bomba Splash is a trainwreck even in comparison with the GCN game. You can only spin that with ,,install base" so much. The game simply is unappealing and hurting the overall brand.

Welfare

"Just a estimate btw."

Should have made it clearer sorry.

I base PS4 sales by 1m units sold a month, since we knew PS4 had been at 40m since May. We can say 1m PS4's where sold each following month till now. That's how I got my estimate of 45m.
Well back when 40m was announced the PS4 was averaging 205k a week in 2016, or 820k a month. Keeping that average (unlikely as summer sees less consoles sold) would mean it's closer to 44m.

Oregano

,,Install base issues", lol. These are flagship franchises, so they are supposed to create the install base. In particular Mario is a loser, since as their biggest IP it completely failed to sell consoles. WiiU Mario games other than Kart all failed to outsell even Sunshine because they have become super bland games, which probably all look the same to non-enthusiast gamers since NSMBU. Equally, as already pointed out by another poster, that's why Bomba Splash is a trainwreck even in comparison with the GCN game. You can only spin that with ,,install base" so much.

Yes because the Wii U is the only system Nintendo released this generation and every game they released is terrible.

Yes because the Wii U is the only system Nintendo released this generation and every game they released is terrible.

Most WiiU games aren't very remarkable, that's why the console failed this badly. If NX has a similar library and games with a similar direction as on WiiU, it will fail just as badly and major franchises will diminish even further. Most of Nintendo's franchises need a complete overhaul/modernization like Zelda to stay relevant.

Mory Dunz

,,Install base issues". You know, these are flagship franchises, so they are supposed to create the install base. In particular Mario has been far from strong, since as their biggest IP it completely failed to properly sell consoles. WiiU Mario games other than Kart all failed to outsell even Sunshine because they have become super bland games, which probably all look the same to non-enthusiast gamers since NSMBU. Equally, as already pointed out by another poster, that's why Bomba Splash is a trainwreck even in comparison with the GCN game. You can only spin that with ,,install base" so much. The game simply is unappealing and hurting the overall brand.

Hm, you have an issue with NSMB?
That's pretty intriguing I say. Do you care to expand on your perspective? I've never heard that viewpoint before.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Most WiiU games aren't very remarkable, that's why the console failed this badly. If NX has a similar library and games with a similar direction as on WiiU, it will fail just as badly and major franchises will diminish even further. Most of Nintendo's franchises need a complete overhaul/modernization like Zelda to stay relevant.

look BOTW sell like s*it in japan for wiiu to debunk your theory

Ōkami

Famitsu retail + digital

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition: 1.132.805
[PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition: 355.000
[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition: 345.175
[WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition: 311.816

Xbox versions aren't worth mentioning anymore.

[ALL] Minecraft: 2.144.796

Also worth noting:

[PS4 ] Grand Theft Auto V [All Versions] : 348.791
[PS4 ] Persona 5: 347.662
[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition: 345.178

We're missing a few months of digital Minecraft, and launch digital month of Persona.

Dark Souls III did 50k on launch month, Persona should do half of that at least.

Finally, a dumb comparison.

PSVR launch software sales:

PlayStation VR Worlds [PlayStation VR]: 7.159
RIGS: Mechanized Combat League [PlayStation VR]: 3.344

Virtual Boy launch software sales:

Red Alarm: 10.162
Mario's Tennis: 8.833
Teleroboxer: 6.939

Oregano

I didn't ask you to repeat the same thing. You're still ignoring the 3DS where the vast majority of those franchises did really well, even when they were worse than their Wii U counterparts quality wise.

Lol too bad 3DS cant handle minecraft!

The shitty clones on the eShop have probably outsold the non-Vita versions at this point.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So... Minecraft is going Nintendo-exclusive on the NX?

I knew Microsoft was in for the long con...

They might put in some exclusive Nintendo/Pokemon characters to put it over the edge or something, but no. I meant something in Japan that would have been on one platform if it was strong enough to run it. Minecraft is a step ahead of stuff like MH in that its a game that's better the more multiplatform it is.

Vena

They might put in some exclusive Nintendo/Pokemon characters to put it over the edge or something, but no. I meant something in Japan that would have been on one platform if it was strong enough to run it. Minecraft is a step ahead of stuff like MH in that its a game that's better the more multiplatform it is.

It was a joke lol.

They already did the Nintendo-themed Minecraft additions, btw.

Oregano

Not sure if you're aware(you probably are) but Minecraft Wii U already has Mario stuff. They should do Zelda on NX.

Gemeanie

Ōkami;220719753 said:
01/NEW. KITCHEN [PlayStation VR] (Capcom) – {13/10/2016} (¥100)
02/NEW. Summer Lesson [PlayStation VR] (Bandai Namco) – {13/10/2016} (¥2.980)
03/NEW. Rez Infinite (SEGA) – {13/10/2016} (¥3.400)
I'm very pleased Rez made it to top 3. Japanese knows what's up.

Ōkami

These look pretty cool alright.

wf-1.jpg

wf-7.jpg

wf-19.jpg

I would say Splatoon is the only Wii U game that could be considered remarkable.

All other releases are either "you can get similar experience on the 3DS" (Kart, Smash etc) or "never heard of this" (W101, Bayo etc).

I would say Splatoon is the only Wii U game that could be considered remarkable.

All other releases are either "you can get similar experience on the 3DS" (Kart, Smash etc) or "never heard of this" (W101, Bayo etc).

What a silly way to diminish amazing games and put a system down.

Because you can play DKCR on 3ds, DKC tropical freeze is somehow less remarkable in its craftsmanship and design?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Any judgment on Mario Maker? I think it did a pretty good job for what it was, a level maker. Sure it wasn't Splatoon in Japan, but if I'm not mistaken, it outsold Splatoon in the US and hit 1M before Splatoon did in the US. It also was Nintendo's first big venture into a game largely built on an online community.

Also, Monster Hunter Stories had a softer drop. Hopefully it continues that behavior....

casiopao

I am not sure what u wanted to talk here lol.

Sales? Game quality? Ur own taste?

I mean, Yoshi Wooly World on Wii U is really such a sublime experience that it is worthy to be moved to 3DS.

Xenoblade Chronicle X is also damn successful outside of Japan here.

Aceofspades

Banned
Amazing numbers for PSVR in Japan, this bodes well for WW sales.

and there were posters expecting 150k-200k for 2016.

I say PSVR should be around 1.5m for 2016 2.5 by march 2017.

noobie

Banned
Amazing numbers for PSVR in Japan, this bodes well for WW sales.

and there were posters expecting 150k-200k for 2016.

I say PSVR should be around 1.5m for 2016 2.5 by march 2017.

I think next couple of weeks numbers are going to be equally important.. If i remember correctly PS Vita launched with some impressive first week number but after that it was all downhill.

duckroll

I think next couple of weeks numbers are going to be equally important.. If i remember correctly PS Vita launched with some impressive first week number but after that it was all downhill.

Even if PSVR sells 0 units after the first week, 51k is a good result for what it is in Japan. I don't think there's anything of importance beyond that because I don't really think VR has a real future in the Japanese market. What I'm interested in, is how PSVR influences the PS4 Pro adoption rate in Nov.

Sakura

I don't think next weeks numbers for PSVR will be very good, it's been sold out since launch and it doesn't seem like there has been a second shipment yet.

MacTag

Banned
those were released more than 20 years ago... I'm not sure if this correct comparison
Well yes, that's why I wished we had a more recent comparison. The closest thing is probably Kinect but that had nowhere near the same level of 3rd party support lined up behind it. Actually neither did PCE CD, Mega CD or even arguably FDS.

rhandino

Banned
So, was Japan gaming industry given a new lease of life? The concept of Nintendo Switch sound so good and perfect... and the fact that the west will finally going to get that Monster Hunter game on consoles that they always wanted!
inb4 Capcom does MH5 for Vita =O
/jk

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Tokyo RPG Factory is listed on the sheet, so by process of elimination, I think we can slate a Setsuna port as one of the system's games.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Switch looks like the system the market and publishers needed.

Oregano

Tokyo RPG Factory is listed on the sheet, so by process of elimination, I think we can slate a Setsuna port as one of the system's games.

And Silicon Studio which means everyone's favourite franchise is making an appearance.....
Terrace Battle!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And Silicon Studio which means everyone's favourite franchise is making an appearance.....
Terrace Battle!

They're in the tech partners section. If Bravely Default is happening, it'd be under Square Enix in the publisher section.

To me Nintendo Switch looks like a very risky concept for Japanese market as I can't see how it doesn't cost at least $299. We know how 3DS struggled (for Nintendo handheld in Japan) when they priced it at $249. Considering how important market Japan is for Nintendo they better hope that people are willing to spent some extra money this time around.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There is no way NNK2 doesnt hit the Switch in my opinion.
... but why? It didn't light the world up in sales anywhere, lol.

Port wont be too expensive and if they can launch it around the system launch it should sell well enough because of the less crowded market.

To me Nintendo Switch looks like a very risky concept for Japanese market as I can't see how it doesn't cost at least $299. We know how 3DS struggled (for Nintendo handheld in Japan) when they priced it at $249. Considering how important market Japan is for Nintendo they better hope that people are willing to spent some extra money this time around.

Doubt it will be that expensive and even so Switch already looks better than the 3DS did at launch - not even including the games. New Zelda, Mario, Splatoon etc. likely in the first couple months. Also no need to buy an extra home system for the TV.

Fisico

Couldn't it be their next project ?
They're a small team and are supposed to have short dev cycles, so a late 2017 release (PS4/SW + PSV maybe) for their next game doesn't seem that unlikely.

For Setsuna it seems way too late for a port and the game didn't sell that much to begin with so it seems like a fruitless effort.

rhandino

Banned
Oh no! Third party developer Monolith Soft. is not listed which means that Xenoblade franchise is deader than dead now ;sakd;alsd;as

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Couldn't it be their next project ?
They're a small team and are supposed to have short dev cycles, so a late 2017 release (PS4/SW + PSV maybe) for their next game doesn't seem that unlikely.

For Setsuna it seems way too late for a port and the game didn't sell that much to begin with so it seems like a fruitless effort.

Possibly, yes.

Port wont be too expensive and if they can launch it around the system launch it should sell well enough because of the less crowded market.

Just kinda feel like the ship has sailed for this particular title, better to get their next game on board and try to make it a bigger success than Setsuna was.

Z3M0G

Ōkami;220754513 said:
These look pretty cool alright.

Holy shit!

If they do this for Worlds, what will they do for XV?

Unless they are banking big on Worlds in Japan, and big on XV in the West...

Top Bottom