• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix reveals Eidos bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/square-enix-reveals-eidos-bid

Square Enix has revealed that it is the company behind the offer to buy UK publisher Eidos, first noted in the middle of last month, which could end the long-running saga of uncertainty that's surrounded the Tomb Raider house since late 2007.

The bid is valued at GBP 84.3 million, and the Eidos board of directors have agreed to recommend the offer to shareholders, which is worth 32 pence per share - a hefty hike on the company's stock price at the time of the bid, and since.

Overall it's a premium of 258 per cent over the price at the time the offer was made, January 14, and a premium of 91 per cent over the price average of the last three months.

The agreement involved the acquisition of Eidos by a Square Enix holding company, called SQEX Ltd, and the Final Fantasy publisher hopes that the deal will "reinforce the Square Enix Group's position as one of the world's leaders in interactive entertainment with a broad portfolio of market leading franchises," according to a statement.

That statement also notes the position of Warner Bros, which holds 20 per cent of the company, and was thought for a long time to be sizing up a bid of its own for Eidos.

"Warner Bros Entertainment Inc is contractually obliged under a Subscription Agreement with Eidos to provide an irrevocable undertaking in respect of 52,518,080 Eidos shares representing approximately 20 per cent of the existing issued share capital of Eidos," it read.

President of Square Enix, Yoichi Wada, said of the deal: "Eidos is a talented developer and publisher of interactive entertainment products with a broad portfolio of highly successful mass market franchises, led by Tomb Raider, one of the most successful videogame franchises of all time.

"Eidos maintains a strong reputation for high quality development and proven expertise in creating characters and storylines that appeal to consumers. Eidos' products are highly complementary to our business and will accelerate our aggressive expansion into Western markets.

"We believe that wide range of both companies' quality products encompassing major genres will enable us to meet diversified customers' expectations upon a global basis."

And Phil Rogers, CEO of Eidos, added: "Eidos has a strong portfolio of established franchises, with highly talented employees. Square Enix recognises this and sees Eidos as both complementary to their business as well as a valuable brand within videogames.

"We are one year into our new strategy and believe that the prospects for the further development of our strategy and the business as a part of Square Enix would offer an exciting opportunity for the Eidos Group."

More details on the offer are expected to be posted in early March, with the offer to be put to shareholders at an EGM.

You reinforce your position in the west by not treating the customers over there like second class citizens. Not by buying out shitty publishers and their washed up IP's.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Square-Enix: We want someone who makes something that isn't a RPG. Really, we'll take anybody at this point.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am inclined to agree to a point in that buying Edios outright is a terrible idea; just ask SCI how well that worked out for them.

Pop On Arrival said:
You reinforce your position in the west by not treating the customers over there like second class citizens.

I don't think Square-Enix has of late. Sure, some of its games still take a while to make the journey over, but quite a few major titles have had simultaneous worldwide releases, and they're always very well localised. Recently, Square-Enix has also published several titles from other companies, like Space Invaders Extreme for Taito, and (in Europe) Persona 4 from Atlus.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
grandjedi6 said:
Square-Enix: We want someone who makes something that isn't a RPG. Really, we'll take anybody at this point.
TAITO_logo.png

cilonen

Can you imagine a Nomura directed Tomb Raider? He's probably frothing at the mouth right now at the 'zippers, guns n' tits' meltdown he could have with it.

diss

Banned
SE should buy it, then sell deus ex and thief properties to 2k boston
then clone ken levine and warren spector and make them fuck
take their hideously deformed love children and bring back looking glass studios
make a new ultima underworld while you're at it

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This may be just the beginning, Warner could still make for the takeover bid everybody assumed it was going to make.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
UraMallas said:
I'm out of the loop. Who?

Warner Brothers/Time Warner, the company that currently has a North American distribution deal with Eidos and in fact already owns 20% of them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pop On Arrival said:
You reinforce your position in the west by not treating the customers over there like second class citizens. Not by buying out shitty publishers and their washed up IP's.

Squeenix tax. Sorry Square, your remakes are not that good

UraMallas

Shard said:
Warner Brothers/Time Warner, the company that currently has a North American distribution deal with Eidos and in fact already owns 20% of them.
I'm tired... are you thinking that they might buy up a Eidos/Square/Enix merged company? Or just that there will be a fight over Eidos?

Salazar

Thief 4 is hardly going to get made with the rapidity, attentiveness or style it deserves while Eidos dangles in the market like this. I want that game.

UraMallas said:
I'm tired... are you thinking that they might buy up a Eidos/Square/Enix merged company? Or just that there will be a fight over Eidos?

no, they have to look into ways how to acquire warner bros. shares in eidos. square-enix wants all of the power.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If Square Enix really wants to appeal to the west, Eidos is not the answer. I can only really see two possibilities for Square to get a greater presence here:

1.) Make some western development studios. Perhaps start in Vancouver, where there seem to be around 500+ unemployed, highly talented western developers desperately looking for a job or a publisher. Also, make some more western focused games straight from Japan. Bethesda and BioWare have done a great job showing that action RPGs can be highly successful here, but for some reason their western targeted game was The Last Remnant, a title that plays even slower than a regular turn based RPG. When making these action RPGs I'd also suggest using franchises that appeal to the west more like say a skypirating adventure with Balthier and Fran or a reimagined Parasite Eve game, since guns seem quite popular here.

2.) Merge with a major western publisher. Square Enix has a fantastic presence in Japan and also a huge amount of handheld technology as well as a couple of really strong IPs. I'm sure there's at least one western publisher who would love an increased presence on handhelds and in Japan.
EA

Pop On Arrival said:

POINT. mft!

diss said:
SE should buy it, then sell deus ex and thief properties to 2k boston
then clone ken levine and warren spector and make them fuck
take their hideously deformed love children and bring back looking glass studios
make a new ultima underworld while you're at it
2K Boston is too busy with a new X-Com game. And Warren Spector is already making Kingdom Hearts 3.

Jackson

Nirolak said:
Merge with a major western publisher. EA

They did that already, many years ago Squaresoft EA a love child to bring over Square RPGs to the Americans! The two have long since broke up though. It was messy, mix tapes were burned.

Mohonky

Pop On Arrival said:

Huh?

Explain.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jackson said:
They did that already, many years ago Squaresoft EA a love child to bring over Square RPGs to the Americans! The two have long since broke up though. It was messy, mix tapes were burned.

True but Square Enix finally made up with Nintendo and EA is quite far from the EA it used to be so I could still see it happening.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mr. Pointy said:
New Legacy Of Kain RPG.

Deus Ex 3 to have RPG elements.

SWiV shooter by Taito.

I'm just making shit up.

Dont we want this? I thought we wanted this?

I don't think people should view this as, Square wanting buying Eidos franchises. I think this is has more to do with Square wanting western built development tools, engines, and wanting to integrate an western development environment, and know how into their company.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HK-47 said:
Dont we want this? I thought we wanted this?

Yes, yes we do.

jorma said:
Wait, what? How did i miss this? Is there a link with some more info somewhere?

It was a rumor that appeared shortly after BioShock was released. Basically, a few years back Take-Two bought the X-COM license back so the assumption was they were going to use it, and since 2K Boston isn't working on the next BioShock people did some probing as to what they were doing and reported back that it was X-COM.

So, to answer your question, there is no guarantee that it's X-COM but it is by far the popular belief. We do know that 2K Boston though is making a multiplayer heavy first person shooter though (from job postings and their own admission) so if it is an X-COM game it isn't exactly the X-COM of 1992 necessarily.

If they become Squeenix's UK publishing arm as well as their conduit into the UK development community - getting them work, I'm all for this. I hope they change EIDOS beyond all recognition, and aren't just in this for - say - Tomb Raider.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Pop On Arrival said:
You reinforce your position in the west by not treating the customers over there like second class citizens.

S-E's reply: Why? They are third class citizens, we are already doing them a favour... Now get away from me!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Eidos share price rockets on Square Enix bid

Shares in Eidos have unsurprisingly rocketed following the news that Square Enix is the company behind the January 14 bid, as details of the offer were revealed earlier this morning.

The stock price more than doubled, jumping over 117 per cent in the first hour of trading to 30.5 pence, just under the SQEX Ltd bid price of 32 pence per share, as almost 5 million shares were traded.

SQEX Ltd, a holding company of Square Enix, will reveal more details on the offer in March, and the bid will be put to shareholders at an EGM.

jorma

is now taking requests
Nirolak said:
Yes, yes we do.

It was a rumor that appeared shortly after BioShock was released. Basically, a few years back Take-Two bought the X-COM license back so the assumption was they were going to use it, and since 2K Boston isn't working on the next BioShock people did some probing as to what they were doing and reported back that it was X-COM.

So, to answer your question, there is no guarantee that it's X-COM but it is by far the popular belief. We do know that 2K Boston though is making a multiplayer heavy first person shooter though (from job postings and their own admission) so if it is an X-COM game it isn't exactly the X-COM of 1992 necessarily.

Uhm oh. Xcom fps sounds meh. It was always the mechanics, not the setting that made that game what it is. Imo. Oh well :X

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jonnyram said:
Shit 84 million? More money than sense.

Especially when there are awesome developers like Insomniac that are still independent... (I wonder how much they would ask for a buyout, if they were interested).

Truth to be told Eidos has a quite wide umbrella of IP's as well as some great developers like Nixes and Crystal Dynamics which are very well versed on multi-platforms development (ranging from PSP, to PS2, to Wii, to PC, to Xbox 360, to PS3) with good proficiency/development know-how on all platforms.

S-E would enjoy having more IP's on its hands as well as a big boost to their software R&D group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom