• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix confirms US, EU layoffs as part of restructuring

nial

I told you so supernova8 supernova8
Does that even matter when talking about the American branch of a Japanese company?
For example, I've seen news about layoffs happening in Square Enix, Inc. (United States), but I'm pretty sure you will never see that being the case with the Japanese branch (Square Enix Co., Ltd.).
nvm he's banned.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
To be honest I doubt this'll result in that many layoffs, their US and UK operations are not particularly extensive I believe.

Their real problem is that their marketing is shite and they have wasted a lot of time and money on underperforming GaaS efforts like Babylon's Fall and Foamstars.

Frankly, the crazy part is that their one notable breakout hit with Nier Automata back in 2017 hasn't really been capitalized on. A Gacha title and modestly budgeted re-release of the original 2010 game is not how most publishers follow up on a mid-budget project that ended up shifting 8million units!

Chukhopops

I guess that puts to rest the debate about their recent games’ sales performance. Feels bad to see SE like that.

Did they publish full numbers anywhere? I’m curious how far off the mark they are compared to their forecast last year.

Zathalus

To be expected, all the recent games have either been sales disappointments or completely bombed critically.

Shifty1897

Square CEO in 2022: Western games are the problem.
New Square CEO in 2024: Small games are the problem.
Newest Square CEO in 2026 when the big games also fail: Anime grunting is the problem.

I blame the following:

- Gamepass
-Xbox
-Phil Spencer
-Sarah Bond
-DEI
-Stupid Gamers
- Smart Gamers
- Israel & all of the middle east
-Joe Biden
-Donald Trump
-Sony & their money hatting policies

I think i've covered all my bases.

/s

Last edited:

MikeM

I blame the following:

- Gamepass
-Xbox
-Phil Spencer
-Sarah Bond
-DEI
-Stupid Gamers
- Smart Gamers
- Israel & all of the middle east
-Joe Biden
-Donald Trump
-Sony & their money hatting policies

I think i've covered all my bases.

/s
Cost of living is a real one.

Larxia

They had credibility?

Kingdom hearts is still banished to the Epic Games Store.
Worst decisions they ever made, I still don't get it. They probably sold like 1000 copies max.
Releasing them on steam would be easy money, I see people every day begging for a steam port.

Reactions: GHG

GHound

Western publishers do mass layoffs, it's westerners (or Tango).
Japanese publishers do mass layoffs, it's westerners.

Coincidence? No, it's because we westerners are lizard people.

DavJay

FFXVII should be made like megaman 9 or Sonic mania in FFVI style. Probably only take 2 years max to make on a lower budget and it would sell like crazy.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
FFXVII should be made like megaman 9 or Sonic mania in FFVI style. Probably only take 2 years max to make on a lower budget and it would sell like crazy.
We had games like that. It’s called octopath traveler 1 and 2. They sold Ok. Hate to break it to you, but niche genre will continue to remain a niche genre. Changing it to FF won’t suddenly make the numbers triple.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
So don't make Foamstars, Forspoken, or Babylon's Fall, and their other failed projects.

Make more games like ff16 because that was so freaking epic with an incredible story and was GOTY 2023

Kataploom

Gold Member
Focusing on AAA gaming is a mistake these days... Square is one of the few gaming companies from Japan that is reporting mass layoffs and it's basically because the have unrealistic sales expectations. Well they tried releasing some AA games but it felt like they self sabotaged or something like that, didn't feel like an honest intent...

Top Bottom